300 lbs and ran my 2nd 5K. I feel like a superhero! (w/pics)

Options
supergirl6
supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
Last night I ran in my second 5K and despite spending most of the summer with an injury that prevented me from doing more than very slow walking, I managed to shave a few minutes off my time from the first run I had in April. I'm still very slow, but it was exciting to see improvement!

After the race as my husband and I walked back to the car, emotion suddenly overwhelmed me and I had to stop and have myself a little breakdown on the side of the road. I cried like a lunatic for a couple of minutes because despite how tired I felt and how much my feet hurt, I'd just finished my second 5K and it didn't kill me. You have to understand, I'm 300 lbs. Six months ago I was more than 330 lbs and walking up the stairs to my living room was a challenge. It really hit me how hard it was to do what I had just done and how many years I'd spent thinking running was out of my reach forever.

Running. I mean, our bodies are made to move. Walking and running are things that should come easy to us. They should never be out of our reach. And I realized that I was easily 3x as big as some of the other runners out there and yeah maybe I didn't do it as quickly as they had, but I'd still done it right beside them. For much of the race I even kept pace with the runners.

I cried because I didn't think I could do what I'd just done for the second time and how much of my life I spent thinking about things I couldn't do. It's such a waste of time and energy. I'm so tired of thinking my weight holds me back. It doesn't.

I mean, here's proof! This is a 300 lb girl who ran 3.10 miles! Say it can't happen!! I dare you!

20z8etd.jpg
4l1uo3.jpg

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I started running at 250+ pounds and I caught the bug. I love to run.
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    AWESOME!! that is SUCH a great job ma'am!! i am nearly 400 pounds, and i just recently started c25k ... i can't WAIT till i can run a 5k!! your story is SO INSPIRING!! keep up the great work!
  • brideson85
    Options
    amazing nice work!!! :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Great job! Very inspiring photos. If you can do it, I strongly believe anyone can! :bigsmile:

I'm a runner myself, and in training for my first 1/2 Marathon next month. Add me if you want from one runner to another. :happy:
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You are simply fantastic! Big congrat's!
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job!
    You are a superhero:flowerforyou:
  • keeponsteppin
    keeponsteppin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So So awesome. Keep up the great job you are doing.. Just Keep Moving
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! There are a lot more of us 300 lb runners out there than I ever thought! Congratulations on a great victory. :flowerforyou:
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love it!! You are so inspiring! My 10 year old daughter loves to run and I've wanted to tell her that she and I can run together after school while we are waiting to pick up her brothers (they get out later than she does) but I keep stopping because of that "I can't" message in my brain. I was over 300... I'm down to the 230s now, but it still hits me as foolish to try to run! I'm afraid I'll get hurt or I'll fall... although I can't even remember the last time that happened.

You are really inspiring and I'm going to go running with my daughter this week after school. :D I'm so proud to call you a MFP friend!!

I love your pictures and your story!! You are so beautiful!!! And contagious (that's a good thing! LOL!).

Shannon
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    You are truly inspiring! WTG!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    internet-high-five-place-hand-here-480x444.jpg

That is AWESOME!!!
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Inspirational! Wow! :happy: We're near the same size...and I can WALK over 3 miles, but gosh, I don't know if I could run it. But perhaps I shouldn't say can't, right? :wink: Could I add you as a friend??
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're a super hero in my book!
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    That is GREAT!!! Such inspiration!!!
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! Congratulations.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    you make me smile. huge congratulations
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    WOOOO!!! That's AWESOME! I started running at 290 lbs and just ran my first half marathon in March at 220 lbs. It gets addicting! Keep up the good work!
  • c_porcayo
    Options
    Thats great! Keep it up! I am just starting that C25K and I can't wait to actually be able to do a whole 5k.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    YOU are incredible! Rock it girl!!!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    So happy for you!!! What an accomplishment! I'm running my first 5K in September and can't wait!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!