Have a stubborn cat who won't go on walks with you?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My cat would panic if I put her in a cage on wheels and rolled her around out in the open like that. But if your cats like it, go for it and enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I love that somebody bumped this thread...made me laugh a month ago, making me laugh now. Thanks :smile:

The forums have been an angry place lately. I'm trying to bring the funny back.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can do anything if you believe in yourself

you know you're talking about walking a cat, right?
    pretty serious mantra considering you're talking about WALKING A CAT.

:laugh:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Is this normal? I don't think cats like going out into the public for walks...

...something is not right about the OP...kind of unsettling and weird.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Is this normal? I don't think cats like going out into the public for walks...

Sure they like to walk in public... they just don't like to be FORCED into doing so. Lol!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    omg this thread is hilarious :laugh:

as a cat owner i would love to see the look on my cat's face if i tried this. i already enjoy effing with her mind whenever i get bored.

my favorite i like to pull every now and then is to start making her food (because of course they watch you while you do it) like normal, then sit down at the dining table and act like i'm going to eat. the result is the FUNNIEST MEOW YOU'LL EVER HERE!!! no lie
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wish I could figure out how to get them leash trained, but I'm thinking the stroller may be safer anyway since there are some loose dogs in the neighborhood that even I'm a bit afraid of.

Have you tried harnesses? Leash on a collar never worked with my cats, but they really can't do much about a leash on a harness. Though one cat really didn't like the harness and always crept around on his belly when it was on. Funny, but no good for walks. The other cat doesn't mind it at all.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    5425261_460s.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Bump, for some LOLZ.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this thread is hilarious.

my cheeks hurt. they hurt so good.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You can do anything if you believe in yourself

you know you're talking about walking a cat, right?
    pretty serious mantra considering you're talking about WALKING A CAT.

I LOL'd so hard I peed myself a little. Thanks for the stain on my couch, Skully.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have always been a cat lover and have one myself who is an indoor cat. Whenever my Tortie has gone outside, she didn't like it much and it wasn't too hard to coax her back in.

Cats do what they want, when they want. Everything is on their terms. They will not be forced to do anything they don't want to do whereas dogs will do anything you want them to do.

I wonder how your cats will like the cat stroller? I know Tortie would hate it. She hates car rides.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    OP- THE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW- What happened with the cat walks!?!? PLEASE UPDATE US!!!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Edited to erase my drunken banter.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Please take pictures, that'll be hilarious and adorable.

Not to mention, it sounds like a completely sane idea. The term "crazy cat lady" was coined for a reason.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I once tried to walk my cat, Fancy, on a leash. I was 14. She was 18 months. I was strong willed. She had claws. I pulled her behind me until she decided she would rather ride on my head and climbed me and dug those vicious little claws into my head. My little brother had to coax her off with a trail of treats after I laid down on the ground. Lesson Learned. Never again will I attempt to force a cat to do anything, that's what dogs are for.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I once tried to walk my cat, Fancy, on a leash. I was 14. She was 18 months. I was strong willed. She had claws. I pulled her behind me until she decided she would rather ride on my head and climbed me and dug those vicious little claws into my head. My little brother had to coax her off with a trail of treats after I laid down on the ground. Lesson Learned. Never again will I attempt to force a cat to do anything, that's what dogs are for.

:laugh:

:noway:

I laughed so hard at this!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When I owned cats (or they owned me) I used to walk them on a leash, took a long time to get them trained but it was that or they stayed indoors all the time (it may surprise people to know that many municipality's leash by-laws apply equally to cats) Contrary to popular belief (especially in an urban setting) indoor cats are healthier and live longer (and don't crap in all of the neighbourhood gardens). I love cats, cat owners who let their cats run amok not so much.

This is true. They are nearly 13 in people years and are very healthy and playful from keeping them inside, groomed, fed healthy and given plenty of fresh water. I wish I could figure out how to get them leash trained, but I'm thinking the stroller may be safer anyway since there are some loose dogs in the neighborhood that even I'm a bit afraid of.

I can just see it now: you strolling along with you cats in the buggy and one of those lose dogs you're afraid of approaches. You won't be able to stop the dog, it will do anything it can to get at the cats. They're outside, unprotected (you didn't think that little buggy thing would really keep them safe, did you?), they will freak out. The dog will have them because they're trapped inside a soft container. Keep your cats safe...at home!
    I've seen it happen...

It's going to take one hell of a dog to overpower a 6' tall girl with a baseball bat.
    And, yes, I do think they're made pretty darn sturdy even if I couldn't fell the beast. I mean, you've got me thinking of Cujo or the Hound of the Baskervilles here. lol

So let's be clear here for a moment. You are going to be "walking" your cats, in a stroller, while carrying a baseball bat. Out in public. Is that correct?

stroller, bat, cat lady and cat babies.

wish I could be there to see that
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You can train a cat to walk on a leash. The key is that you have to TRAIN the cat, not just put a leash on and expect it to walk.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I've had several cats, tried to train them all to walk on a leash, failed in every case. The brightest one simply sat there, refusing to go anywhere, enjoying the outside as stationary as could be. He was happy, he didn't want to walk, he wanted to sit, and if I wanted to sit tied to him, he was all the happier for it. I gave up after half an hour of just sitting there - he wouldn't even walk anywhere on his own let alone follow me. I did manage to teach him to obey voice commands and go back in the house when told, so he was the most trainable, he just didn't want to walk.

Our current cat runs and hides under the couch when the door opens. Once she somehow overcame her fear and actually went outside and laid down in the driveway. She got spooked by *pick any inaudible sound or invisible sight* and ran back inside and hid under the couch for days. Some domestic cats would be fine in the wild, but our little spaz wouldn't last 5 minutes.