"I don't want to be too thin" - a "fat" people thing to say?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

What I would consider too thin.

I think both ladies are healthy and they both look great, I just like the first one better. I don't really have any explanation for it beyond preference. *shrug*

I can't view the second picture at work, but the lady on the top picture is too skinny in my opinion.

"The lady"?! THAT'S SHAKIRA.

Who the f** is Shakira? I doubt that she's an athlete.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

The only woman on earth for whom the camera doesn't add 10lbs, because her hips don't lie

:laugh: You crack me up.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    IMO there is a fine line between healthy and sickly looking. For me, at 5'6 and an large frame, anything below 145 looks terrible.

well, I'm not sure about that. I kinda agree with web md's ranges for heights and weights.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I dont think its an excuss. I think people (women in general) look better with some weight on them (curves). It don't have to be alot of weight. But being too skinny is not attractive.
    I hate it when people give out the wrong definition of "curves". No matter how much you weigh, your curves will stay the same. If you're an hourglass then it will stay the same whether you're fat or thin. Its not about the weight but its how you built.

Rolls of FAT =/= CURVY
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Someone else pointed this out, and I'm jumping on it. When women say they don't want to "lose their curves" and get "too thin," I think it's because "curves" are the only things they felt positive about for their body image. The big boobs or butt than their men loved? Those are at risk of disappearing, even though overall appearance would improve.

It's like priding yourself on your long hair--sure, it gets matted easily, snarly, and may be in horrible health... but it's so long, and someone liked it! So when you lose weight, and the boobs and butt go quickly... yeah, you were overweight, those boobs and butt were contributing to an unhealthy weight.... but someone liked it!

I would say "NOT TRUE!" My best feature has always been my eyes. When I was weighing 135, it was my legs, but my hips have been curvy since I was 12. Curvy is a shape, not a size.

Lol, do you not understand "examples." The topic is, "Why do people say this/feel this?" Clearly you're not in that demographic if you weren't saying, "Wow, I don't want to be too thin, because I have great eyes." Reading comprehension & context: you're doing it wrong. Nice job reading other posts, too!

Well apparently, I am retarded. I still think your comment is ridiculous. :ohwell:

:laugh:

You don't understand it then ;) At least you're cognizant enough to admit your mental failings (too bad you have to go the route of using "retarded").

I can say that because I have high confidence and self-esteem, plus a high IQ. It's called a joke. (joke are also subjective) :wink:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Who wants to be "too" anything?

I want to be too sexy for this shirt, so sexy it hurts.

"too sexy" and "too rich" are both desirable
  • wrevhn
    Options
    "too thin" to me means emaciated or death camp looking. Like you belong in a commercial for a christain charity to feed the hungry. As long as it falls under physically "healthy", I say go for it. but then again, i say don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't play in traffic always practice safe sex and brush your teeth freq to combat gingivitis. healthy = happy.

i was a overly thin drug doing smoker at one point. so this is my "new leaf" perspective. to feel healthy "clean" and good. :)

its doing marvelous things for mah happys.

Again, one chick's opinion. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

Agreed, the sunken eyes, drawn face not a good look. Good for you turning over a new leaf. That is huge!

THANKS! :flowerforyou:
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I think both ladies are healthy and they both look great, I just like the first one better. I don't really have any explanation for it beyond preference. *shrug*

I can't view the second picture at work, but the lady on the top picture is too skinny in my opinion.

She is a singer and she also dance a lot. She does awsome belly dance. SHe is actually very active.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I used to say that for several reasons.
    1. Not enough confidence in myself
    2. Not enough willingness to do change my diet and lifestyle to get the results I really want
    3. I was convinced my genes were preventing me from achieving my goal weight.
    4. Not enough good information about nutrition
    5. I was making excuses for why I was my size

That being said, there is a difference in being "too thin" and fit. I want to be fit, which also means at a healthy weight.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    So when you say "I don't want to be skinny/too thin" what are you implying? Are you saying you don't find thin attractive or are you simply saying it because you don't believe you can reach a certain weight or is it just an excuse? Like you're heavy and you'd probably like to be that weight but are too lazy to actually work for it?

I don't want rib bones showing is what I mean ... to each their own, but for me, I want to look healthy and fit
    so when I say I don't want to be to thin, I am "implying" I don't want to look unhealthy and sick
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

She's a highly accomplished belly dancer, actually, and has a fantastic body.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I dont think its an excuss. I think people (women in general) look better with some weight on them (curves). It don't have to be alot of weight. But being too skinny is not attractive.
    I hate it when people give out the wrong definition of "curves". No matter how much you weigh, your curves will stay the same. If you're an hourglass then it will stay the same whether you're fat or thin. Its not about the weight but its how you built.

Rolls of FAT =/= CURVY

Not so cut and dry. Right now I have hips and boobs that add curve and shape to my body. The smaller size I get the smaller my cup size and a surprise to me and people who always knew me with curvy hips, I actually have a more "up and down" look to my hips. Not curvy at all.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be skinny or be "too thin". This is not a "fat person" or "lazy" thing to say. This is coming from a veteran who use to be quite into weight lifting and wants to be fit and muscular again. I have never been "skinny". When I was 16 I started weight lifting seriously. Though I never got to bodybuilding standards I was quite toned (a little large even) and very strong by the time I got to bootcamp and maintained that for quite sometime. I'd like to reclaim that body and I simply can't do that as some bony waif. So for anyone who thinks that saying "I don't want to be too thin" is just some lazy fat person cop out...think again. Tone and muscle mass takes a lot of work.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options

So healthy looking human is too skinny? This perfectly illustrates my point that what we consider normal has shifted....

No, it prove the subjective nature of the discussion. I don't think she looks healthy.

Serious question, what does not look healthy? simply looking at how her face is filled out and not sunken says that she has a healthy % of body fat. Also, do not get me wrong, there is a "too skinny" but in my opinion that is a long way from it.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Similar to that, I have a lot of people say to me "You were already thin, you didn't really need to lose" or "You didn't really need to lose much".

Well, at 5'3", 159lbs back in Jan 2012, I had 32% body fat and BMI of 28 which is at the top range of Overweight ( 10lbs away from being obese)

Since then I've lost 24lbs, have a body fat of 23.7% and a BMI of 24. I'm healthy, but people tell me they didn't think I needed to lose weight. The "before" me was unhealthy but the view of what's "thin" is all realivte I guess. That size was okay for some people but it wasn't okay for me.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

Rolls of FAT =/= CURVY

Not so cut and dry. Right now I have hips and boobs that add curve and shape to my body. The smaller size I get the smaller my cup size and a surprise to me and people who always knew me with curvy hips, I actually have a more "up and down" look to my hips. Not curvy at all.
    It only means that you're not really curvy & what you had are just rolls of fat. What I mean is that a real curvy woman won't lose her curves even after she loses weight. Unfortunately many people don't understand it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Here's a better shot of her abs:

Shakira.jpg
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Rolls of FAT =/= CURVY
    Yes, your curves will stay the same if you have that type of framed body. However, there is a point, at least for me where I looked curvy and sickly at the same time. At 130 and 5'2" my collarbone stuck out a LOT I was about a 34 A but wore a 7/9 in jeans...my butt,hips,and,thighs stayed curvy like the pear shape that I am..But I looked SICK and I had a flat stomach, so not rolls of FAT like you say. The BMI measurement would put 5'2" and 130 at a healthy BMI..with 136.7 at the weight that I would be considered healthy right before overweight. I don't think that is true. For the frame I am, and the way I have looked in the past...a healthy weight would be barely 136, more 145-155 and I'd still be considered overweight according to BMI. So like a post said it definitely "depends on the individual."
  • wrevhn
    Options
    I want to look like the chicks on star trek. what the crap happened to that figure anyway? the hourglass gals use to be everywhere! did they give to many away before this gen came and we are just sol? i blame microwaves.

thats ok, when I'm rich I'll buy bigger boobs.
  • Purple_Reign
    Options
    For me, I have found myself saying that my goal when this is all said and done is "not to be skinny". There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone, including me, being thin, but this overall journey for me is about becoming healthy, fit, and being able to maintain a weight that is comfortable to me and where my body seems to feel comfortable. Plus, thinking of a weight that would make me "skinny" is a lot farther to go than my goal weight at this point, which will still be overweight. But for now, it's something for me to strive for that I think I will be happy with, and once I get there, who knows where I'll go!