Only Cardio or lifting too...????

Options

Replies

• melindadunston
    Options
    Ok. I just looked at the training program and to be honest the thought of touching a barbell scares the CRAP out of me. I will start Friday night when I go on Friday evening there are like 5 people there so it won't matter.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    3 weeks ago I was stuck at a 2 month plateau with my last 10-15 lbs. I'm a runner 20-30 miles a week and I instruct fitness classes. I knew I was getting plenty of cardio. . I knew more cardio wasn't going to do anything, so I bought The New Rules of lifting for Women and started the program. I'm in my 3rd week. I've lost 2.5 lbs, more importantly all my pants are getting seriously loose. I'm eating more and only added 2 workouts to my week. Best thing, not including warm up or stretching after, 20 minutes. That's it.

LIFT HEAVY, GET THE BOOK!!!!

I have 2 children, and my mid-section is my trouble area...it's starting to look so much better already. I can't wait to see what I look like after the 6 months are up.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Ok. I just looked at the training program and to be honest the thought of touching a barbell scares the CRAP out of me. I will start Friday night when I go on Friday evening there are like 5 people there so it won't matter.

Check out this link. Read the book. My old lady read it and walked into the gym doing barbell squats with decent form with little instruction from me. Mostly just cues (lower back arched, chest up, breath help, bar over midfoot) She did ok with bench and ohp and deadlifts too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    anyone else notice OP bumped a thread that wasn't even a minute old??
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    switching to lifting and cardio as equals, or mostly lifting with some cardio here and there, is going to blow your mind in a workout:time management way you wont believe.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    But my FIRST priority is to look good naked. My first goal was to do a 5k. Done. Second. To look good naked.....after I accomplish that I will do my half marathon.

I'd rather look at a naked marathoner than a naked weightlifter:)
  • bima80
    bima80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    what is dumping???
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    But my FIRST priority is to look good naked. My first goal was to do a 5k. Done. Second. To look good naked.....after I accomplish that I will do my half marathon.

apparently you aren't very familiar with how either looks.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

• likemeinvisible
    Options

Well if it's so apparent to you than I'll rephrase that:

I'd rather look at a marathoner than at a weightlifter regardless of what they wear.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I'd rather look at a marathoner than at a weightlifter regardless of what they wear.
    to each their own. But I think ur nuts. ;)

MarathonVsSprint.png
  • Determinednoob
    Options

lol wut?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    4-5 days per week is plenty
    do lifting 2 times and cardio 3 times, and some fun cardio the 5th time (or you can add 3rd day of lifting)
    lifting will take less than 1h
    look up New Rules of lifting for women of stronglifts

^^THIS
  • KristinWill1023
    KristinWill1023 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a great fat burner, but when you build muscle from strength trainer you burn more calories in your BMR. Which means you will burn more calories when your resting. Do both!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

If you're talking about the steroid-using stereotype of female body builders, I agree. Although I really don't want to see either naked.

But if you're talking about women who lift vs women who just do cardio... that's a whole different ballgame.

what-women-think.jpg
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

If you're talking about the steroid-using stereotype of female body builders, I agree. Although I really don't want to see either naked.

But if you're talking about women who lift vs women who just do cardio... that's a whole different ballgame.

I just don't like to see posts that say that men don't find skinny runners attractive.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I just don't like to see posts that say that men don't find skinny runners attractive.

That's just kind of hilarious to me since it's the "skinny' women the media bombards us with, so I very much enjoy seeing the posts that find athletic/muscular women sexy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I'm a runner. I'm a size two, so I guess by some standards I'd be skinny. But I don't have a "runner's body" and don't want one. I run because I love running and it makes me feel good emotionally. I lift weights so I have a perky bottom. Running alone made it droopy.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I just found a program online that I have started to follow and it has tons of advice on lifting heavy for women:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I have only done two workouts so far but I am feeling pretty sore today which is my rest day which means something good is going on! I finished my weight training with 30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill. Oh and I have dropped 4 pounds this week since adding in the weights :)

What size weights do you have? I only have 5#s weights.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    When I started heavy lifting (don't make fun of my weakness :P) but 10 pounds was really heavy for me and I would do about only (2-4)x 20 and if i had it in me I'd do 12 pounds and try to do as many as i could... usually only 5-10.
    But that was when my arms were the skinniest and most toned.