WHY are some people jerks on mfp? (philosophically...)

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    People here don't generally know each other in person, so they say things on here that they would never say to someones face, or even on Facebook or Twitter. :noway:

like calling everyone who isnt like them, a jerk.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm not bambi....I am honestly wondering WHY people think there are jerks on here! Some people have responded to that question...

wait - are you asking why there are so many jerks or are you asking why people think there are jerks?

you have changed your original question in a semi-backtracking type motion. youve also been here long enough to know what these threads do.

MFP doesnt work like boy scouts - you dont get a special badge when you make one of these threads. Unless its the - 'lots of people just lost respect for you!' badge.

You are unbelievable. She asked why some people are jerks on MFP because she wants to know what people think.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some jerk who bullied me...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly assertive DBs?....Are we all control freaks because we count calories obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* count calories obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get riled up to be lumped into the same category as the rest of us just defensive naturally?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

I'm sorry, perhaps you two don't know eachother...OP, meet the Internet.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I'm not bambi....I am honestly wondering WHY people think there are jerks on here! Some people have responded to that question...

wait - are you asking why there are so many jerks or are you asking why people think there are jerks?

you have changed your original question in a semi-backtracking type motion. youve also been here long enough to know what these threads do.

MFP doesnt work like boy scouts - you dont get a special badge when you make one of these threads. Unless its the - 'lots of people just lost respect for you!' badge.

You are unbelievable. She asked why some people are jerks on MFP because she wants to know what people think.

No, you are an insulter and it doesnt help prove your points.

What she said - and I'll quote again is:
    I am honestly wondering WHY people think there are jerks on here!

and honestly, youre one of the most hateful prejudiced people on this site so I really dont want to hear anything else out of your mouth directed at me.

Your hateful spewing and snap judgments on people based on their level of success is embarassing and if you think people cannot notice a pattern among all your MFP posts each time we cross your path.... you are painfully mistaken and dont realise you have a negative reputation on a support group site.

Best wishes.

have fun on silent mode. Zzzzz
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some jerk who bullied me...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly assertive DBs?....Are we all control freaks because we count calories obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* count calories obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get riled up to be lumped into the same category as the rest of us just defensive naturally?

I'm going to sound cynical here and say that for most people 'jerk' as their default setting. All of the politeness, kindness, and thoughtfulness that you experience is due to their socialization. That's not to say that they're "phony", just that they have learned that the best way to get along in a group/society without being isolated is to learn to play well with others. We've all experienced life lessons where we were taught to share, hold our tongues or otherwise mind the feelings of others. Sometimes the lesson was taught via empathy (putting ourselves into the shoes of another) and sometimes the lesson is taught through harsh repercussions (getting cussed out, not invited along or punched in the nose).

On the internet you are shielded through various layers of electronic "protection" to let your id take over.

I've seen some pretty uncalled for bs on MFP, and I have also seen some shockingly thin skinned people. Noone can objectively say that its all one or the other.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options

and honestly, youre one of the most hateful prejudiced people on this site so I really dont want to hear anything else out of your mouth directed at me.

Your hateful spewing and snap judgments on people based on their level of success is embarassing and if you think people cannot notice a pattern among all your MFP posts each time we cross your path.... you are painfully mistaken and dont realise you have a negative reputation on a support group site.

Best wishes.

wait...are you talking about me or the other poster?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    So I know from running a dating website that when a guy asks a question like, "Why do all women like jerks?" the word "jerk" is defined as "guys who aren't me." So the real question is, "Why don't women like me?"

I'm still trying to figure out the definition of "jerk" on MFP. It can range from someone being a genuine d-bag to just someone disagreeing with them. For the sake of argument, I'd call a jerk someone with no redeeming social value.

Considering it's human nature to complain (ie, How many people will write a nasty letter about bad service at a restaurant, vs how may people will write a letter to praise great service?) and notice things that are worthy of complaining about... I think the ratio of jerks:nice people on here is far lower than the general population. Considering the enormous size of this site, there's only a small handful of people I'd say act like *kitten* on a regular basis. And not even all of them are jerks. Just *kitten*. There's a difference.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It seems to me being blunt or truthful= being a jerk.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    People here don't generally know each other in person, so they say things on here that they would never say to someones face, or even on Facebook or Twitter. :noway:

You don't know me very well;)
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    Humans are just like that.

^this...unfortunately lol
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It seems to me being blunt or truthful= being a jerk.

Not picking on you, but I hear this a lot and question if its true.

For the record, I've been called 'mean' and 'hurtful' on here simply for telling someone that they would have to eat their veggies, so there its definitely subjective.

However, that doesn't negate the fact that there are certainly some people on here that say things in a way to get a rise out of others. Hiding being the nastiness of a comment on the grounds that it was true (or had an element of truth to it) is a not really sincere. We're often talking about very volatile topics on here like people's physical appearance, and diplomacy is really not that difficult.
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    A lot of people are jerks because people get tired of the same topics over and over.

There is a **** ton of OMG I GAINED 2 POUNDS!!! WTF!!! HELP ME!!! then when people suggest why and try to help OP, OP goes NO! That is clearly not the case and you don't understand.. I'm doomed to be fat.. wah wah wah.

or
    I'm only eating 400 calories a day and I'm not losing... why do you think that is? Again, people come in, explain why and try to help and OP goes but it worked before! Why isn't it working now?! and if I eat more, then I'll gain.. You guys just don't understand!

and the list goes on and on.

Too many people have been told they are special snowflakes for far to long.. and then when reality comes in, they freak and can't handle it... and thus complain about how people are bullies

^this as well though
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Or you creating a post that is obviously going to create drama.

I'm sure you aren't this jerk-y all the time so I forgive you.
    Excellent.
  • beckajw
    Options

Best wishes.

Why talk about being hateful. Why don't you point out to me when I have ever made a judgment about someone based on success.

I'm judging YOU based on YOUR ridiculous attitude toward the OP.
  • yoovie
    Options

Best wishes.

wait...are you talking about me or the other poster?

that becca person that said I get off on being mean to people.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    God bless it.

People, if you're going to troll, pick a new topic. This one was played out 5 years ago...

Take a cue from the cray cray whining about her sister handing out her phone number. That was some pro trolling.

Yes, that was definitely a good one! Nice and original!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Best wishes.

Why talk about being hateful. Why don't you point out to me when I have ever made a judgment about someone based on success.

^^Are you sure you're not the jerk?
  • beckajw
    Options

Best wishes.

^^Are you sure you're not the jerk?

I am a jerk, but so is she. She just doesn't want to admit that she was intentionally baiting the OP.

Plus, I'm sure that I have never made a judgment about someone based on their sucess. She's just talking ****.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    anyone else eaten some great beef jerkey today?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

It's not just on MFP OP, it is on all Forums nowadays. I sometimes go on another Forum on a certain conspiracy site that is bloody downright brutal to be honest. Not only are many of the people on there rude, they are downright insulting and deliberately hurtful. One thread on there involved a woman who in her grief, said that her 15 year old son had died a short while back (I am guessing she just wanted to write something down) - one of the replies was to the effect that it was great her son had died and hope she had a happy funeral with a smiley at the end of the posting (there was also mention of hope that he had been raped beforehand)!

Now, I don't know about anybody else, but that verges on criminal to me, especially when that site gives the facility to be able to post anonymously - people just go to town on there, personally I think many of them on there have severe mental illnesses.

The internet is now so cheap and people are able to stay on it all day if they wish, unfortunately this aspect of it also attracts, trolls, pathological liars and psychos that think everything is fair game, including hurting people just because they can.

I will say this, I would lay money on it that 99% of those people would not treat people in such a manner if they were face-to-face with them, can you imagine!