• cmmommy
    cmmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm 19.

So 1 more year of juniors clothes and then I have to move up to the women's section even though the cut makes me look like I'm much older (and not in a good way) and heavier?

No thank you. I'll stick to my $8 JCPenny juniors jeans - size 7 - and wear them proudly. They looked much better than the $45 Levis size 6 I tried on.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As much as I like the Junior's department, Misses isn't all bingo-wear. I'm a big fan of What Not To Wear, even though some of my clothes would give them an aneurysm, and no one looks frumpy at the end of the show. Stacy London's clothes are never a snoozefest.

At Kohls, I've found funky stuff from Apt 9, Elle, Rock & Republic, LC, AB Studio, Jennifer Lopez and sometimes Vera Wang when it isn't so "edgy" it's just plain weird and shapeless. Sonoma is good for basics like shorts, jackets and jeans that fit nice but aren't necessarily sexy. Because not everything has to be sexy. I don't need to wear slinky "look at my *kitten*" jeans when I'm walking the dog or going for groceries.

On the other hand, once I tried on a top that was so ill-fitting that, even though the shoulders fit perfectly, the bust darts were around my waist. The brand? Sag Harbor. :laugh: What a horrible name! I don't want to the word sag associated with anything on my body.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I don't understand someone else telling others that certain sections fit better. Everyone has their own shape and size. It's like telling someone to only shop at Target. Doesn't even make sense. The thing is that I have shopped at every department, tried on many clothes in each department, and have realized that the clothes in the womens section do not flatter my shape. It may for others and that's fantastic!

No, I don't try to look like an 18 year old. I wouldn't want to wear some of the things I see. But for jeans I will stick to what fits according to my shape. I shop all over the store. I can find shirts in misses that I love, jeans in jr's, etc. The jeans are much more expensive but they are made by companies that know how to cut jeans to make you look nice, not just material that covers you and call it good.
    Now I want everyone to shop in only aisle 3 when you go to the grocery store. How does that sound?

Oh Lorinalynn you look great in your outfit!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Once you have shopped at Limited, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc you won't miss the Jrs. Department clothes. I guarantee it! Plus I bet you will find that you can buy a smaller size and that they fit much better. I finally converted a friend of mine and she hasn't looked back!

HELLO! PRICE! Of course these clothes are well cut and flattering. Yes, I too love those stores but you can't get a single outfit at any of them for under $150. Trust me, my whole wardrobe would be WHBM and Limited but I need to eat, too.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Once you have shopped at Limited, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc you won't miss the Jrs. Department clothes. I guarantee it! Plus I bet you will find that you can buy a smaller size and that they fit much better. I finally converted a friend of mine and she hasn't looked back!

HELLO! PRICE! Of course these clothes are well cut and flattering. Yes, I too love those stores but you can't get a single outfit at any of them for under $150. Trust me, my whole wardrobe would be WHBM and Limited but I need to eat, too.

My thoughts exactly! I would LOVE to wear clothes from these stores- but places like Forever 21 have the best prices...you have to look harder to find age appropriate clothes that fit but it fits my wallter much better! TJ MAxx and Ross are life savers as well...
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    One thing that's always bothered me about the Junior's department, from the viewpoint of a boring old married lady and aunt to pre-teens... lot of it is way too sexy for girls under 18. :ohwell:
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think the point of this thread was to dress your body, not the body you wish you had, or the body your friends have. I quit shopping for pants in the juniors section when I was 13, but to this day at 31 I will still buy the occasion shirt or dress.

I have a friend who is 29 and TINY. No hips and barely any boobs. She looks weird in clothes from the misses section. So yes she still shops in juniors.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes depending on how they look and FEEL on me, whether they are from the DAV, thrift stores, junior dept. in Macy's, or any other stores within my local mall.

I could care less the 'label' (whether name brand or department name) some people put on clothes.

But I do understand the point of this thread as I have met/known plenty of women who need to dress more their age. But at the same time, if it's truly what makes them feel good about themselves...who the hell am I to judge??
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I think the point of this thread was to dress your body, not the body you wish you had, or the body your friends have.

This. If you're someone who's always berating yourself, thinking, "I'm so fat :sad: " because you're in a size 11 in juniors and they're tight on your *kitten*, try walking across the store and trying on a pair of jeans in the misses department. It can be an eye opening experience.

Don't hate your own body because it doesn't match what some designers think is the "ideal" shape. Try on different cuts and styles and realize you might need to get things altered to fit. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. You're just unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm 5'5, so I'm technically "too tall" to be a petite, but from making my own clothes, I know my torso is about one inch too short. I'm petite, but only from the hips up. Dresses don't always fit because the waist is too low for me. My hips are already flaring out where the waist is. If I was less aware of my body's unique challenges, shopping would be really depressing.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What I probably should have posted was:

Ladies who exclusively shop in the juniors department, you should try the Misses department. You might find the clothes fit a woman's body better, are in general of better quality and more sophisticated.

The people who need your message aren't getting it. There's a whole lot between Forever 21 and the Charter Club section of Macy's. Oh well, you tried.
    "When you shop in the juniors department, you look like you are trying to compete with the 18-year-olds. The 18-year-olds always win."
    -Clinton Kelly

I EXCLUSIVLEY shop in the Juniors department, yet I am cheap and you are dogging me?? You guys are full for crap and should mind your own freakin business. You don't know what the heck your are talking about and judge others based upon what you think is right for them?? You don’t know me! Mind your own business. What part of I can't fit into those close don't you understand?? I will spell it out for you. I… Can’t… Fit… Into… adult… clothes!! What part of I have the body for a 10-12 year old don't you under stand? WHAT PART THAT I HAVE NO BOOBS don’t you understand!!! I am GLAD you have the body of a 30-40 year old… I don’t!!! I don’t think I ever will!!! Heck my 10 year old just passed me up in bra size and my 12 & 16 year old has been bigger then me since they were 11!!! This is me! So stop judging where I shop, stop being ignorant! I am not you!
    What part that I wear even kids size clothing and shoes DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND??? I can’t make my boobs get any bigger, well I can with surgery but I won’t because that is not me!!!! I can’t make my feet get any bigger then a size 3-4 in kids!!! Do you want me wearing shoes that don’t fit and bra’s that don’t fit so that I can wear womans clothing. Are you freakin nuts??

Your posts just keep getting more ridiculous and stupid…. Ignorance at its best here ladies.

I will wear what I want and I will look better in it them most 18 year olds too and so what if I do! That is a compliment in my opinion! Maybe you are upset that you don’t look young or can’t wear those clothes. Maybe a little ignorance with jealousy combined?? I don’t know what the heck your guys problem is truthfully but please get a life!

When I want to look like crap and get clothes that don't fit or become overweight so I actually have curves of fat… then I might look into the petite section. Until then, and probably the rest of my life, I will shop with what fits, in the Juniors section thank you very much!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.

This post was inpired by a woman who was beating herself up, and hating on her big hips because even at her thinnest she was an 11 in the juniors department. When I and others suggested she try the adult women's section (which is usually referred to as Misses) she said she didn't think she was old enough at 25. She, like a lot of you, mistakenly believed that everything in the Misses section was "too old" or "frumpy".

I turned my frustration at her post into this post. I made it a generalized sweeping statement for comedy and yes, somewhat for controversy. I had NO idea that so many women would be insulted or that so many women shared her view of Misses as being "frumpy". I was not attacking anyone.

So yes, I apologize to women I've insulted. SOME clothing in juniors are cute, sophisticated and well suited for women in their 20s and 30s. SOME clothing in the Misses section are older frumpy and targeted at women in their 60s (with bad fashion taste). Additionally, yes, small women might have a hard time finding clothing in Misses leaving juniors as the best option for them. Good clothing can be found in juniors, Misses, cheap stores, expensive stores, etc. You do just need to be careful that things fit your body and look at least somewhat age appropriate, regardless of department, quality or size.

So the moral of the store is, dress however the hell you want to dress but don't beat yourself up, or try to change your bone structure because a certain type of clothing doesn't fit or look good on you. Try to be the best you can be. Love that and dress that.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Ladies who exclusively shop in the juniors department, you should try the Misses department. You might find the clothes fit a woman's body better, are in general of better quality and more sophisticated.

The people who need your message aren't getting it. There's a whole lot between Forever 21 and the Charter Club section of Macy's. Oh well, you tried.
    "When you shop in the juniors department, you look like you are trying to compete with the 18-year-olds. The 18-year-olds always win."
    -Clinton Kelly

I EXCLUSIVLEY shop in the Juniors department, yet I am cheap and you are dogging me?? You guys are full for crap and should mind your own freakin business. You don't know what the heck your are talking about and judge others based upon what you think is right for them?? You don’t know me! Mind your own business. What part of I can't fit into those close don't you understand?? I will spell it out for you. I… Can’t… Fit… Into… adult… clothes!! What part of I have the body for a 10-12 year old don't you under stand? WHAT PART THAT I HAVE NO BOOBS don’t you understand!!! I am GLAD you have the body of a 30-40 year old… I don’t!!! I don’t think I ever will!!! Heck my 10 year old just passed me up in bra size and my 12 & 16 year old has been bigger then me since they were 11!!! This is me! So stop judging where I shop, stop being ignorant! I am not you!
    What part that I wear even kids size clothing and shoes DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND??? I can’t make my boobs get any bigger, well I can with surgery but I won’t because that is not me!!!! I can’t make my feet get any bigger then a size 3-4 in kids!!! Do you want me wearing shoes that don’t fit and bra’s that don’t fit so that I can wear womans clothing. Are you freakin nuts??

Your posts just keep getting more ridiculous and stupid…. Ignorance at its best here ladies.

I will wear what I want and I will look better in it them most 18 year olds too and so what if I do! That is a compliment in my opinion! Maybe you are upset that you don’t look young or can’t wear those clothes. Maybe a little ignorance with jealousy combined?? I don’t know what the heck your guys problem is truthfully but please get a life!

When I want to look like crap and get clothes that don't fit or become overweight so I actually have curves of fat… then I might look into the petite section. Until then, and probably the rest of my life, I will shop with what fits, in the Juniors section thank you very much!

But you've obviously tried Misses, found it doesn't work for you and gone back to Juniors. I completely understand this. Seriously, small women (and you do have a woman's body, just a small one) didn't even cross my mind. Seriously, I'm sorry.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.

This post was inpired by a woman who was beating herself up, and hating on her big hips because even at her thinnest she was an 11 in the juniors department. When I and others suggested she try the adult women's section (which is usually referred to as Misses) she said she didn't think she was old enough at 25. She, like a lot of you, mistakenly believed that everything in the Misses section was "too old" or "frumpy".

I turned my frustration at her post into this post. I made it a generalized sweeping statement for comedy and yes, somewhat for controversy. I had NO idea that so many women would be insulted or that so many women shared her view of Misses as being "frumpy". I was not attacking anyone.

So yes, I apologize to women I've insulted. SOME clothing in juniors is cute, sophisticated and well suited for women in their 20s and 30s. SOME clothing in the Misses section are older frumpy and targeted at women in their 60s (with bad fashion taste). Additionally, yes, small women might have a hard time finding clothing in Misses leaving juniors as the best option for them. Good clothing can be found in juniors, Misses, cheap stores, expensive stores, etc. You do just need to be careful that things fit your body and look at least somewhat age appropriate, regardless of department, quality or size.

So the moral of the store is, dress however the hell you want to dress but don't beat yourself up, or try to change your bone structure because a certain type of clothing doesn't fit or look good on you. Try to be the best you can be. Love that and dress that.
    I appreciate this. Not going to lie, your original post made me see red.

I buy all my jeans in the juniors department. Not because I want to be a teenager, but because I have no torso to speak of, so most misses and women's jeans come up to my belly button. Not a cute look.

Everyone's different. My former coworker shopped exclusively at the Limited and Ann Taylor and always looked great.

I shop at Forever 21, Gap, and multiple junior's departments, and she always told me how great I looked.

Just wear whatever makes you happy, people.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

stop giving a crap what other poeple do.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Amen! And ladies please stop wearing jeans with your muffin top hanging out....I don't care if you squeezed into a size 6....not all of you is inside the pants where it belongs. Some things just shouldn't be worn on certain body types even if it's in style...wear what looks best on your body and not your 12 year old daughter.

I've seen teens do this a lot also:-/

That is truly annoying. I detest seeing a woman wear her jeans UNDER her belly just so she can wear jeans that are obviously 2 sizes too small for her in the first place. That is not attractive.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I like how everyone is worried about how everyone else dresses. How educational.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

-Clinton Kelly

But you've obviously tried Misses, found it doesn't work for you and gone back to Juniors. I completely understand this. Seriously, small women (and you do have a woman's body, just a small one) didn't even cross my mind. Seriously, I'm sorry.

Sorry didn't mean to flip out! :) Irate a little at this and a lady going around work AGAIN today, saying I am too thin, talking to my HUSBAND about how I need to gain weight! Just pi$$ed that people need to mind their own business! I can out bench, run, anyone in this office and I am not underweight by any means!! Sorry that I freaked, HAH! One of those days!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.

So yes, I apologize to women I've insulted. SOME clothing in juniors are cute, sophisticated and well suited for women in their 20s and 30s. SOME clothing in the Misses section are older frumpy and targeted at women in their 60s (with bad fashion taste). Additionally, yes, small women might have a hard time finding clothing in Misses leaving juniors as the best option for them. Good clothing can be found in juniors, Misses, cheap stores, expensive stores, etc. You do just need to be careful that things fit your body and look at least somewhat age appropriate, regardless of department, quality or size.

I'm also glad that you posted this. I can appreciate that you were reacting to a different thread and didn't really think it through about how your OP would come across as. Thanks for having the class to apologize, still maintain your point, and concede to others that you may have been wrong with the generalization. :flowerforyou:
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I often shop at Kohls and shop juniors because the clothes are cuter than the old lady crap they sell in the woman's section. What's the big deal?