Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    How about women of any age buy clothes in whatever department they like, because the clothes make them feel good? I mean, end of discussion right there.

Sadly, it's impossible for some people to comprehend that even though we are all different people with different bodies, sizes, and shapes, and from different places around the world with different stores, different brands, different sizing guidelines, etc....that we all can''t live by the exact same "rules." :noway:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    So, in regards to the odd/even numbers thing, I don't think it's like that in Canada. At least, not exclusively. Like Reitman's is pretty much geared to women over...oh gosh I don't know what age but I've shopped there since I was 20 and my mother-in-law shops there and she's 77. Haha. So anyhoo, their sizes are all odd-numbered, and they're definitely not junior-sized. And they pretty much line up with other ladies'-sized stuff. Like, I'm a size 10 or so now and at Reitman's I wear a 9 mostly, or sometimes an 11.

Just wanted to share.

This is true.
    Same with Suzy Shier, and neither of those stores are junior. I would almost classify those stores as "work wear" for the most part. Lots of dresses, dress pants, blouses, blazers, ect...
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Um…No…. I wear a size 1-2 in juniors. I don’t and can’t wear woman’s even if I wanted too! I am 5’1 and no offence but the petite clothes look like crap and suck!! I also sometimes wear kids clothes if it’s a cute t-shirt or shorts or bathing suit or tank top. Actually, the swim suit in my photo is a junior suit! Woman’s are too big! Not only do I wear kids and Juniors clothing I also wear kids shoes especially the Nike and addidas running shoes or the converse since they are ½ the price and carry the same exact shoe in the kids size too! Also love the kids flip flops and flats. I wear a 3-4 in kids shoes. I don’t look cheaply put together and I do like trendy clothes… whats wrong with that??? If someone is happy with it then they are happy with that! And I would rather look 20 instead of 40 personally! Wouldn’t you want to look younger??? I am very happy wearing my junior’s cloths thank you very much and I will continue to wear them for as long as I can! And BTW they make junior suits too for work…. Very fashionable and great for the office AND they fit! Although the 1-2 sizes are sometimes too big for me and I need a 0!

Where do you shop that the petite clothes look so bad :huh: Around here they're the same as the regular clothes except the lengths are shorter. So you'll get a 32'' inseam on pants and shorter sleeves on jackets. It's also cut a little shorter in the torso.

That's the thing. They don't recut the pattern for petites; they just make it shorter, and it just doesn't sit correctly on the petite body.

Thank You! Well said!!

It always worked fine for me. I thought a petite body was the same measurements, just shorter. I'm only petite cause I'm short but I'm still pretty curvy so I couldn't wear juniors unless I want my pants too big in the waist.

I have no boobs... I have no curves.
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am larger now and cannot fit into the jr section of the department stores but i hardly ever find anything that looks modern or that i personally like in the woman's section. I hate prints and high cut tops. I love shopping at Maurices. The majority of my clothing comes from Maurices. Their jeans are awesome and i always get compliments about them:-)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Um…No…. I wear a size 1-2 in juniors. I don’t and can’t wear woman’s even if I wanted too! I am 5’1 and no offence but the petite clothes look like crap and suck!! I also sometimes wear kids clothes if it’s a cute t-shirt or shorts or bathing suit or tank top. Actually, the swim suit in my photo is a junior suit! Woman’s are too big! Not only do I wear kids and Juniors clothing I also wear kids shoes especially the Nike and addidas running shoes or the converse since they are ½ the price and carry the same exact shoe in the kids size too! Also love the kids flip flops and flats. I wear a 3-4 in kids shoes. I don’t look cheaply put together and I do like trendy clothes… whats wrong with that??? If someone is happy with it then they are happy with that! And I would rather look 20 instead of 40 personally! Wouldn’t you want to look younger??? I am very happy wearing my junior’s cloths thank you very much and I will continue to wear them for as long as I can! And BTW they make junior suits too for work…. Very fashionable and great for the office AND they fit! Although the 1-2 sizes are sometimes too big for me and I need a 0!

Where do you shop that the petite clothes look so bad :huh: Around here they're the same as the regular clothes except the lengths are shorter. So you'll get a 32'' inseam on pants and shorter sleeves on jackets. It's also cut a little shorter in the torso.

That's the thing. They don't recut the pattern for petites; they just make it shorter, and it just doesn't sit correctly on the petite body.

Thank You! Well said!!

It always worked fine for me. I thought a petite body was the same measurements, just shorter. I'm only petite cause I'm short but I'm still pretty curvy so I couldn't wear juniors unless I want my pants too big in the waist.

I have no boobs... I have no curves.

So I'd keep shopping in the juniors section lol. I have nothing against it, I just can't fit into it.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and shop in the junior's, woman's, petite's and, sometimes, the boy's department. I'm 5'3 and built like a 12 yo boy (up top).

I buy what I like and what fits, thank you very much.:drinker:

...and just for the record, I've never squished myself into clothes that are too small, resulting in a muffin top. I go to the next size up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and I shop both, mostly at JCP, Kohls and Macys. If it fits my body, my style, and my wallet, I'll buy it. I tend to dress a little flashy and obnoxious, and I'm ok with that.

Today:
    IMG_5023.jpg
    Top and jeans, Macy's juniors. Shoes, Kohls.

I have a very hard time finding tops in the misses departments at Kohls and JCP that fit me. I wore smalls at my high weight, and it's hard to find extra smalls. And I have a hard time finding anything that fits my budget in the misses department of Macys. :frown:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and I shop both, mostly at JCP, Kohls and Macys. If it fits my body, my style, and my wallet, I'll buy it. I tend to dress a little flashy and obnoxious, and I'm ok with that.

Today:
    IMG_5023.jpg

I have a very hard time finding tops in the misses departments at Kohls and JCP that fit me. I wore smalls at my high weight, and it's hard to find extra smalls. And I have a hard time finding anything that fits my budget in the misses department of Macys. :frown:

And you look super cute, age appropriate, and not cheap!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options

Today:
    IMG_5023.jpg

I love that you always include a photo, the proof is in the pudding!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I'll do what I want!
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    Try acting your age and not attacking others by how they dress. I dare you!
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Today:
    IMG_5023.jpg

Love it!!! You look awesome.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My little sister is 18, but is very hippy (and curvy in general) and has been for years. I took her shopping recently because I wanted to help her pick out jeans that fit --- everything she had was muffin toppy and it was upsetting her. She's not fat by any means -- she's just not built like a stick.

So first thing I did was take her to the women's department. She actually cried she was so upset. She couldn't believe that she was so "fat" that she needed "old lady clothes".

I tried not to be offended. I felt bad for the kid.

The tears stopped when we found the most adorable pair of jeans in a size 8 that fit her perfectly and were far from old lady.

That's my Junior's dept. anecdote. Plus, those clothes are crappily made because they're designed for the fashion attention span of a teenager.

Back in the day when I wore an 8 women's I always thought the Jr's made me look "fat" But, *fer sure* they aren't designed for curves and I've had them since I was 13...even at a size 8 BTB good for you.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding me. The junior section has the nice clothes, where as the ladies section sells old people clothes like moo moos and slacks.

ETA: Not to mention shoes are half the price!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I hate Khols with a passion. Cheap crap basically. JC Penny, not completely terrible. Macy's...ughhh don't get me started. Then again, I really hate big department stores. I prefer to shop at Old Navy, Maurices, or Fashion Bug.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to dress from the Junior's department when you're older, as long as it's still age appropriate and actually FITS you. I don't anymore and haven't for awhile, but once in awhile, I'll pass by the Junior's department in Kohls and see something I like and buy it. My yoga pants are from Target's Junior section, and my Jeggings are actually from the children's department in Target b/c nothing else fits. Actually, I look to buy in the children's department because some stuff is adorable, and I fit into the larger sizes (14, 16) as long as it's not too tight in the chest or hips. And it's cheaper!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Today:
    IMG_5023.jpg

Sweetie, you look smoking!!! Honestly this flatters you and you should dress like this because your personality just glows. I dress to pull out my personality. I've recently found out that the color green really looks good on me lol.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Once you have shopped at Limited, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc you won't miss the Jrs. Department clothes. I guarantee it! Plus I bet you will find that you can buy a smaller size and that they fit much better. I finally converted a friend of mine and she hasn't looked back!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What I probably should have posted was:

Ladies who exclusively shop in the juniors department, you should try the Misses department. You might find the clothes fit a woman's body better, are in general of better quality and more sophisticated.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Also, I didn't attack or judge anyone. I just asked people to "please stop shopping in the juniors department" and listed the reason why.

Attacking would have been to say "you look like a trashy teenager" or something.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    What I probably should have posted was:

Ladies who exclusively shop in the juniors department, you should try the Misses department. You might find the clothes fit a woman's body better, are in general of better quality and more sophisticated.

I can agree to that...I guess it just depends on what I'm shopping for.