Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am 20 and actually JUST discovered the ladies section haha. I am a medium in that section while I was a L or XL in juniors, so that's the only place I shop now! And you're right, the clothes just fit SO much better.
  • morgansmama
    morgansmama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How about women of any age buy clothes in whatever department they like, because the clothes make them feel good? I mean, end of discussion right there.

AMEN. Thank you! I am working to get into my pre-pregnancy rocker t-shirts that I will wear when I am old and wrinkly and ENJOYING LIFE. Also, fashion is changing every single day. Keep in mind that there is no set rules to what we should and should not wear.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If the 'women's section' where you're shopping is anything other than great you're in the wrong d@mn shop! Is there only one shop??? Go somewhere else, stop trying to be a teenager.

The majority of JC penney's and Kohls "women's section" simply suck. Sorry, I have no desire to be a vera wang model.
    Penney's does have a small section of really cool clothes, but most of it are basics such as plain t'shirts and sweaters.
    There are some cute blouses there, but it's a HUGE hit and miss.

Kohls, 85% of their clothes just don't suit me and my jeans and t'shirt fabulousness and the occasional nights I dress up for the husband.

I quite bothering with Macy's and every other store years ago.

I shop in Brown Thomas and BT2, women's section, the clothes are hot, they're not frumpy and they're cut for actual women's bodies. I'm sure there's some equivalent over there!

I have no idea as I've never heard of these stores.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Mer1.jpg?t=1345672165

I think this is really cute and she looks great.

I don't see why age is an issue. I understand the grandma wearing pink glitter "I'm totally cute" thing bugs some people, but I don't see why we should have a hard an fast rule that says "no never".

PS. Kohl's women's department makes nothing in my size and is mostly frugly anyways so I won't be shopping there.

I will add this caveat: If you shop ANYWHERE, you should BUY YOUR SIZE. If you are a size 2 don't wear size 10 and vice versa.
  • morganmay92
    Options
    Sorry but I find some really cute tops that don't look teenager at all at some stores in the junior dept. and so on., I am more for style though. I rather not wear womens jeans, juniors fit me better.
    I am only 20 but I like to have style, chic, and edgy at the same time. Sorry but that my opinion and I dress how I want. I wear boots, skinny jeans, lace tub tops with cardigans, to anything really. I don't wear band't's anymore or zebra print. I don't wanna be plain nor boring. Womens jeans are so plain and so are the tops I find. Everyone has their own style. I believe everyone is allowed to dress how they want, depending where you live.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Um…No…. I wear a size 1-2 in juniors. I don’t and can’t wear woman’s even if I wanted too! I am 5’1 and no offence but the petite clothes look like crap and suck!! I also sometimes wear kids clothes if it’s a cute t-shirt or shorts or bathing suit or tank top. Actually, the swim suit in my photo is a junior suit! Woman’s are too big! Not only do I wear kids and Juniors clothing I also wear kids shoes especially the Nike and addidas running shoes or the converse since they are ½ the price and carry the same exact shoe in the kids size too! Also love the kids flip flops and flats. I wear a 3-4 in kids shoes. I don’t look cheaply put together and I do like trendy clothes… whats wrong with that??? If someone is happy with it then they are happy with that! And I would rather look 20 instead of 40 personally! Wouldn’t you want to look younger??? I am very happy wearing my junior’s cloths thank you very much and I will continue to wear them for as long as I can! And BTW they make junior suits too for work…. Very fashionable and great for the office AND they fit! Although the 1-2 sizes are sometimes too big for me and I need a 0!

Where do you shop that the petite clothes look so bad :huh: Around here they're the same as the regular clothes except the lengths are shorter. So you'll get a 32'' inseam on pants and shorter sleeves on jackets. It's also cut a little shorter in the torso.

Anywhere and everywhere because they don't fit and they do look old! I wear a 30 AA bra... u think for one second the womans or petites would fit??? Yah! I would have to have everything taken in! And why??? So I can wear womans clothing... that's just plain stupid. I wear what fits.
  • alexis831
    Options
    Sorry but I find some really cute tops that don't look teenager at all at some stores in the junior dept. and so on., I am more for style though. I rather not wear womens jeans, juniors fit me better.
    I am only 20 but I like to have style, chic, and edgy at the same time. Sorry but that my opinion and I dress how I want. I wear boots, skinny jeans, lace tub tops with cardigans, to anything really. I don't wear band't's anymore or zebra print. I don't wanna be plain nor boring. Womens jeans are so plain and so are the tops I find. Everyone has their own style. I believe everyone is allowed to dress how they want, depending where you live.

U go girl, right there with you!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Um…No…. I wear a size 1-2 in juniors. I don’t and can’t wear woman’s even if I wanted too! I am 5’1 and no offence but the petite clothes look like crap and suck!! I also sometimes wear kids clothes if it’s a cute t-shirt or shorts or bathing suit or tank top. Actually, the swim suit in my photo is a junior suit! Woman’s are too big! Not only do I wear kids and Juniors clothing I also wear kids shoes especially the Nike and addidas running shoes or the converse since they are ½ the price and carry the same exact shoe in the kids size too! Also love the kids flip flops and flats. I wear a 3-4 in kids shoes. I don’t look cheaply put together and I do like trendy clothes… whats wrong with that??? If someone is happy with it then they are happy with that! And I would rather look 20 instead of 40 personally! Wouldn’t you want to look younger??? I am very happy wearing my junior’s cloths thank you very much and I will continue to wear them for as long as I can! And BTW they make junior suits too for work…. Very fashionable and great for the office AND they fit! Although the 1-2 sizes are sometimes too big for me and I need a 0!

Where do you shop that the petite clothes look so bad :huh: Around here they're the same as the regular clothes except the lengths are shorter. So you'll get a 32'' inseam on pants and shorter sleeves on jackets. It's also cut a little shorter in the torso.

That's the thing. They don't recut the pattern for petites; they just make it shorter, and it just doesn't sit correctly on the petite body.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 34 yrs old and I still shop in Jrs section. I am not curvy and dont have much of a butt or hips so therefore womens cloths look horrible on me. I am not into the skinny jeans or anything. I also cant stand when jeans come up to my belly button....not flattering
  • alexis831
    Options

That's the thing. They don't recut the pattern for petites; they just make it shorter, and it just doesn't sit correctly on the petite body.

Thank You! Well said!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I think dressing to flatter your body type is most important. If I find a good sale and it looks good on me, I'm buying it - whether it's at a consignment shop or Macy's.

I am almost 30, I think the dress and cardigan were both in the Jr dept when I bought them. Dress, cardigan, shoes = probably 30 bucks if that (my shoes were 7 at Target the other day).

118735_7550.jpg
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Btw, this outfit, 100% from the juniors department at Nordstrom. I like it. I'm 27. And I think I look pretty cute. So whatevs..

Mer1.jpg?t=1345672165

I'd wear it! :)
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had a little sniffle moment when I officially realized I could not, under any circumstances, go to Garage clothing anymore...but it's a realization that should be made...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    So, in regards to the odd/even numbers thing, I don't think it's like that in Canada. At least, not exclusively. Like Reitman's is pretty much geared to women over...oh gosh I don't know what age but I've shopped there since I was 20 and my mother-in-law shops there and she's 77. Haha. So anyhoo, their sizes are all odd-numbered, and they're definitely not junior-sized. And they pretty much line up with other ladies'-sized stuff. Like, I'm a size 10 or so now and at Reitman's I wear a 9 mostly, or sometimes an 11.

Just wanted to share.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on the item of clothing. I'm almost 35, and in the Junior section of Target there are cute tops and dresses that I don't feel are too 'young' for me. And of course I've seen other things that make me think "No way in hell can I pull that off anymore" Lol.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Amen! And ladies please stop wearing jeans with your muffin top hanging out....I don't care if you squeezed into a size 6....not all of you is inside the pants where it belongs. Some things just shouldn't be worn on certain body types even if it's in style...wear what looks best on your body and not your 12 year old daughter.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WHY DO WOMEN DO THIS!!!!!!! My step mother, who I love dearly is soooo assured she wears smaller pants than me - yes, technically she DOES, but that doesn't mean she SHOULD. I am totally okay with wearing a bigger size if it doesn't mean I look like it took heavy machinery to get me into those bad boys. For the love of god wear pants that fit, you'll look skinnier in a bigger size (shocker!)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I think dressing to flatter your body type is most important. If I find a good sale and it looks good on me, I'm buying it - whether it's at a consignment shop or Macy's.

I am almost 30, I think the dress and cardigan were both in the Jr dept when I bought them. Dress, cardigan, shoes = probably 30 bucks if that (my shoes were 7 at Target the other day).

118735_7550.jpg

Also, I like this outfit very much.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I have never shopped in the junior's department EVER. So cheap looking...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Thank You! Well said!!

It always worked fine for me. I thought a petite body was the same measurements, just shorter. I'm only petite cause I'm short but I'm still pretty curvy so I couldn't wear juniors unless I want my pants too big in the waist.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Can you please send this to my MIL?

I think my Step-MIL does too and she's over 60 for sure. I think she wore a prom dress to my SIL's wedding.

OMG this made me squeal with laughter!

*dead*