Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    BAMFMeredith: You look hot! But 34yr old me in that same outfit.......I would look like I was trying to be in my 20's. I want to look age appropriate, show what little boobs I have, look hot, and my age.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Until you buy my clothes, I'll shop where I wanna. I'm 30yrs old and yes I shop in the Jr. department, why? Because I want to and because I can.
    AMEN!! Some of my clothing is from the juniors department and I'm almost 42 years old. I paid for it, it's comfy, I like it, and my husband tells me that my old *kitten* looks "f**kin' hot!" :drinker:
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have to wear juniors unless i want to pay for a tailor. im only 4'8". "womens" clothes just hang off of me. :(
    There are such sizes as Petite, also. These are ladies clothes that are made for smaller women.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Buy petites.

The petite selection in most stores is HIDEOUS.

That's the truth!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Yes Mom... I wil do what you say immediately...

Maybe I don't want the waist of my jeans to come up right underneath my boobies.. I'm 47, and theres no way Im wearing Mom jeans... You can thou. To be honest... I have clothing from the womens, and the juniors section in closet. Just depending on how it fits, whatever it is.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I still shop in the juniors department. I'm 5'2'' AND short waisted, with narrow hips, so when I shop in the "ladies'" department, my crotch looks weird in pants.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I find the exception to be Levis jeans. Their Jr sizes fit my butt much better (no gap) where are their new curve id I cant even fit into a 18 in woman's and most of the time I am a 12. Eeefff their new line!

I find that there are some exceptions but the majority.... yes woman shouldn't buy from the jr dept!

This ^^ jr levis are great, I wear a size 13 in them (although now they are too big) and am normally a 12 in womens so I think they run pretty close to womens sizes.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I still shop in the juniors department. I'm 5'2'' AND short waisted, with narrow hips, so when I shop in the "ladies'" department, my crotch looks weird in pants.
    ANNNNDDD...petites are too short. They look like high waters on me!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 and I struggle with this. The juniors department is not where I want to be( style, size, fit). BUT I find it hard to find anything in the women's department.

Ladies, any good advice on better places to look. I don't want to be frump, but I'm not 22 either.

HELP!

Where are you shopping? I am a student right now and don't spend a lot of money but I've found some really cute things at Kohls, JC Penney. Like I said, accessorize! Fun jewelry, cute shoes, cute purse with nice fitting jeans, and a just a well fitted T-shirt can be fun, sexy and sophisticated.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My junior dresses :)

cutestr.jpg

stripecute.jpg

:)
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just forget about the sections or sizes or whatever, buy what fit. Try stuffs on, make sure not thing is hanging out, no muffin top or whatever, then you are fine.

This.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For me I can't buy jeans in the women department, have tried them on because of the fact the size was smaller. However, I have a small torso, the jeans in the women department that I have tried, I feel like they come up to my neck. I have to wear my top tucked in at work and I am not going to look like I am wearing my pants around my head. I like the fit in juniors, plus I'm smaller now then I was as a teenager and I'm gonna enjoy every moment of it by shopping where I feel like I look better at. I do not wear the obnoxious glittery loud things, I personally would rather wear a dress and I buy most my dresses from Ross and most my jeans come from Rue 21.

Agreed! Clothes from different stores/ departments/ brands, etc. fit different people different ways- I don't think there's a rule that the minute someone turns 20, they are now old and look trashy is "juniors" clothes. There are also plenty of places that have very classy and appropriate juniors clothes. Personally, juniors pants look better on me, and tops can go either way. I'm certainly not going to turn away a cute outfit because the size number is odd and not even. The judgement in these forums blows my mind.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I know women well into their 40's wearing Hollister head-to-toe. So many *kitten* kissers telling them they look 20 (unbelievably kind lies) that they believe it. It just looks so.....desperate? A little crazy fo sho.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    But if I start dressing my age, I will lose my signature "lamb from the back, mutton from the front" look that I have so painstakingly cultivated.

I really love you.

I have to be careful about shopping in the junior's department. I don't bother with jeans because I know those won't fit right but I do get some tops/ sweaters there. My daughter sometimes isn't helpful because she'll enthusiastically suggest clothes that are too young for me. So I have to take her recommendations with caution and never remove tags until I can get an adult opinion on something I'm not sure about. But she is otherwise fun to shop with because she dances in everything she tries on in the dressing room. None of my other shopping buddies do this.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have to wear juniors unless i want to pay for a tailor. im only 4'8". "womens" clothes just hang off of me. :(
    There are such sizes as Petite, also. These are ladies clothes that are made for smaller women.

Having worked at Kohls.
    No. Just no. "petite clothes" are made for short people. not "small" short.
    and mostly frumpy. Sooo not apologizing for not wanting to be a frumpy mom -looking 39 yr old.

If you want to dress "for your age" that's fine. But don't judge people who don't! I still kick it at the bar, have fun with my friends
    and leave my "uber responsible mom of 2" badge at the door when I leave the house.

There are some fun things you can buy at a few stores, but not a whole lot. Penny's, their jeans are great and have some things in there. I had to go to a wedding this summer and had to find some "adult" clothes to fit the occasion.. I found some cute enough stuff at Kohl's. Took me a long time, though..
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Where are you guys shopping that the women's section on has "frumpy" items or "mom" jeans? Accessories, hair style, confidence,etc also play a key roll in making an outfit frumpy or not.

Where are you shopping where you can't buy Jr section clothes that fit?? I am very curvy (36-25.5-36) and I can and do often find pants, shirts, and dresses in teenager type stores that fit fine (mediums and larges, size 5-9 pants, most JR stores I shop at have bigger sizes available). I mean, I probably have to wear bigger sizes than I would in adult stores, but they fit and its not like I wear the tag hanging out for all to see.

Yes, they are cheaper than non-Mom, attractive women's jeans, but that's the point. I wear jeans every day and I don't WANT them to cost $50+.

I have a few pairs of high waisted pants but I don't want to deal with that all day everyday. Ever worn belly button high pants with a naval piercing? Lol maybe it is more than my clothing that needs to grow up.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I was blessed with hips and thighs....don't know that I ever shopped in juniors....always remember shopping in misses! Now I'm just too darn old for juniors..lol! :flowerforyou:
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    *shrugs and carries on buying her trainers tax free from the children's section*
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding me. The junior section has the nice clothes, where as the ladies section sells old people clothes like moo moos and slacks.

ETA: Not to mention shoes are half the price!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Lol I love you!!!