14 yr old daughter vegetarian, wants to go vegan

Options

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    She'll need to take B12. I recommend checking out "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. Here is the food pyramid, and the animal products are absolutely optional, so one can do this totally vegan and as far as I'm concerned, it's probably the healthiest way to eat on the planet.
    fuhrman-food-pyramid.jpg
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I do not support this. I find it a decision of de-evolution but this is my opinion.

Should she decide to go through with it PLEASE be aware that nutritional needs are not easily accomplished for a 14 year old girl ( or anyone for that matter) on a vegan diet. Most plant proteins are incomplete and must be complimented with another source to gain the entire amino acid profile. Also: be aware that carbohydrates from many fibrous vegetables are metabolically inert in humans and we derive no nutritional benefit from them as we lack the enzyme cellulase.

Maybe I should clarify that while I support her decision because it's based on her convictions, I am concerned that she won't be getting enough protein and other nutrients she needs at her age. Maybe I should talk to her doctor about it before I give the go ahead. Thanks for the advice.

Seriously, read "Eat to Live" or "Disease Proof Your Child". She'll be getting plenty of protein, essential fats, and micronutrients following this plan. Vegan or near vegan diets protect from heart disease, cancer, and other chronic illnesses. It's a good way to go.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Alright, this might be extreme implying her daughter has an ED because she wants to be a vegan. Geez, I eat more as a mostly vegan ("vegan pescatarian" fish, and incredibly limited dairy/eggs/etc) than I ever did as a meat eater. I mean, it might be something to keep your eye out for, if you have suspicions, but I would say the odds are that this is a choice she's making for ethical reasons. Or perhaps even just to be counter-culture, and it'll be a short lived phase. Either way encourage it as long as it's not an ED.
    <snip>
    ALSO, PEOPLE. WHEY IS NOT VEGAN, STOP SUGGESTING IT.

Thank you! I have known someone who used veganism to cover up an ED and it was pretty obvious - she had access to a college cafeteria with a vegan option at every meal but still only ate a very limited number of things. Teens eating a well-rounded vegan diet are not likely covering up an ED.

Also, plenty of teens do things for the purpose of standing out and being different, that may be why she's doing this. It may last, it may not.

As to the point about eating meat - I've been mostly vegetarian for years - I have meat maybe two or three times a year. I went through a phase when I had to eat more meat (I was cooking for elderly and frail grandparents, long story). I found that beef and ground turkey really upset my stomach for a good day or so afterwards. Chicken did not. I doubt it was psychological in my case since while I avoid meat I don't freak out at the thought of eating it.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    definitely talk to her doctor first, and shell have to take a lot of vitamins/supplements, hopefully she likes tofu cause a lot of her diet will be that. But i dont believe being vegan is bad for u if u do it the right way. Eat all the healthy stuff and not just the junk. My brother turned vegan and he lost a lot of weight which is good for him, and all his problems became minimal too! but on the other side i went to school with a girl whose also vegan but looks like shes a ghost. So it can go both ways you just have to be very careful. I suggest you both do your research before she goes vegan.

P.S. Apparently most vegans dont eat honey either!
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    We went 'vegan' over a year ago. My 13 year old son has never been so healthy. The only thing we supplement is B12. Our family as a whole have seen very positive health benefits. Our extensive blood work has never looked so good.

As long as her diet is varied and balanced she would have no problems.

I did lots of reading before changing to this way of eating. There are many good resources out there.

"Disease proof your child" is an excellent book.

Also www.engine2diet.com is an excellent resource.
    They will answer any questions you may have. There Facebook page is very active. You can ask any questions and they will always answer.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    She'll need to take B12. I recommend checking out "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. Here is the food pyramid, and the animal products are absolutely optional, so one can do this totally vegan and as far as I'm concerned, it's probably the healthiest way to eat on the planet.
    fuhrman-food-pyramid.jpg

I definitely second this. Eat to Live is excellent. I think Disease Proof your Child is by the same author.
  • Sarah_Super
    Sarah_Super Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hopefully she likes tofu cause a lot of her diet will be that.

Not necessarily true - most of my meals are vegan and I eat tofu once or twice a week, max.

P.S. Apparently most vegans dont eat honey either!

Vegan's do not eat anything derived from any living creature. That includes bees.
  • Sarah_Super
    Options
    Well done for supporting your child :)

Determined not to get shouty at some of the stupid comments regarding nutrition and veganism - my only advice is that as parents we should always make sure our children are eating a healthy diet, REGARDLESS of if they're vegan or not.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for four years, and unless each meal is meticulously planned I absolutely do not recommend a vegan diet.

Young people underestimate how easy it is for your health to deteriorate on vegan/vegetarian diets, and will be unlikely to go through the bother of understanding macronutrient ratios as well as micronutrient intake, much less planning them. Another problem is that vegan foods can be just as heavily processed and just as fattening as non-vegan foods (vegan meat substitutes, dairy/egg free desserts, et cetera). However, because it's vegan, some are led to believe that a toffee made with earth balance olive oil margarine and turbinado sugar is somehow healthier than a toffee made with butter and white sugar, when at the end of the day, both toffees are just fat and sugar.

I understand that it may be hard for you as a mother to not support your daughter's decision, but this is really where it would be in her best interest to not encourage her to go vegan without her educating herself about nutrition from an unbiased source (not from established vegans with an agenda).
  • Sarah_Super
    Options
    I was a vegan for four years, and unless each meal is meticulously planned I absolutely do not recommend a vegan diet.

Young people underestimate how easy it is for your health to deteriorate on vegan/vegetarian diets, and will be unlikely to go through the bother of understanding macronutrient ratios as well as micronutrient intake, much less planning them. Another problem is that vegan foods can be just as heavily processed and just as fattening as non-vegan foods (vegan meat substitutes, dairy/egg free desserts, et cetera). However, because it's vegan, some are led to believe that a toffee made with earth balance olive oil margarine and turbinado sugar is somehow healthier than a toffee made with butter and white sugar, when at the end of the day, both toffees are just fat and sugar.

I understand that it may be hard for you as a mother to not support your daughter's decision, but this is really where it would be in her best interest to not encourage her to go vegan without her educating herself about nutrition from an unbiased source (not from established vegans with an agenda).

But the same can be said for any normal diet - put thought into it and plan it or you'll end up eating crap.

Being vegan/veggie doesn't automatically = healthy, but that goes for any diet! Thats most of the vegans here said 'make sure she learns about eating healthily before she goes vegan'.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I do not support this. I find it a decision of de-evolution but this is my opinion.

Should she decide to go through with it PLEASE be aware that nutritional needs are not easily accomplished for a 14 year old girl ( or anyone for that matter) on a vegan diet. Most plant proteins are incomplete and must be complimented with another source to gain the entire amino acid profile. Also: be aware that carbohydrates from many fibrous vegetables are metabolically inert in humans and we derive no nutritional benefit from them as we lack the enzyme cellulase.

She didn't ask for you opinion, she asked for advice on veganism.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    She's a child. It's a phase. She'll see what a lot of hard work this is and won't last. Just make sure she is getting adequate nutrition, and is not undereating and you'll have done your part as a parent.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm glad you're such a supportive mother!

Personally I take a daily multivitamin just to cover all my bases. The main nutrients that she -may- be lacking will be b12 and calcium. There is also something called "nutritional yeast" you can find in a baking area in most stores, this is a protein/b12 powder, it tastes a bit nutty and cheesey so many vegans use it on food.

I suggest going out with your daughter and getting a "vegan for dummies" type book, it will give you lots of info about veganism and lists of what nutrients are in which foods. And also a couple of vegan cook books to cook together.
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Watch Forks over Knives. Real eye opener.
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    I do not support this.

Well ****, let's call the whole thing off then...

Love it. :laugh: Thanks for the laugh!
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 13 years and moved to a vegan lifestyle last summer. Since your daughter is still growing, I would consider speaking with a dietician to ensure she gets the right nutrients. Daily vegan multivitamins and B12 supplements are probably a good start, along with a healthy diet.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian then vegan when I was 15.
    I was a member of PETA, so that's what sparked it.

It's tricky to master, but if she's 100% on board and making healthy choices, all the power to her!

You may want to schedule an appointment with her doctor to arrange for blood work to check to see if she has any deficiencies, first. If everything is A-OK, make an appointment with a registered dietician to go over what nutrients she'll need. She'll most likely be asked to start a food journal so that the dietician can monitor everything.

B12 and iron could be major vitamins that she's lacking. I've gone back to a pollo-pescatarian lifestyle, and still deficient in those nutrients 5 years later.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    hopefully she likes tofu cause a lot of her diet will be that.

Not necessarily true - most of my meals are vegan and I eat tofu once or twice a week, max.

Yeah there are soy-free vegans who eat no tofu. I love tofu but I rarely eat it for some reason. I've been meaning to make some baked tofu. I eat it a couple times per month, maybe but I may go for months not eating any tofu.
  • lmwoodward13
    Options
    I'm currently working on certifying to become a registered dietitian and I can tell you some of the main nutrients you need to most likely supplement to make sure she is getting the proper amount.

-Vitamin B12 (because it comes from animal products)
    -Calcium and Vitamin D (young girls have a hard time getting enough calcium when they are eating dairy, so if she is not eating dairy it will make it even more difficult. Vitamin D is in dairy products as well)
    -Zinc (because the best sources are animal products)
    -Iron (the type of iron your body can digest and use most easily is found in meats so if she is only getting plant sources it may be difficult to get enough because once again this is a mineral women have a hard time getting enough of when they are eating meat)
    -Protein (meat, eggs, and dairy all have lots of high quality protein)

I would recommend finding a good multivitamin for her, encourage her to eat a variety of foods, and make sure she is eating soy products, beans/lentils to make sure she is getting enough protein for a growing body. I have also noticed that when young girls become vegan or vegetarian more often they eat lots of carbohydrates (pasta, bread, cereal) and not as many fruits, vegetables and beans. The benefit to the high carbohydrate foods, however, is that in the united states they are fortified and have added vitamins and minerals, but she still needs to be eating those other foods.

If you are able I would recommend having both of you talk with a dietitian or some other certified nutrition professional who can teach you both how to meet her nutrient needs. It is possible for her to eat a balanced diet and be perfectly healthy on a vegan diet, but it does take knowledge and plan, especially because she is still young and growing. Eatright.org can help you find a nutrition professional in your area who can sit down with you and make an individual nutrition plan that will meet her needs.

If she is not able or willing to learn what she needs to do to meet her nutrient needs on a vegan diet I would not recommend it. It can put her at risk for osteoporosis, anemia, poor growth and other nutrient deficiencies. Done correctly she will be fine, and actually it will probably help her avoid heart disease in the future.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Alright, this might be extreme implying her daughter has an ED because she wants to be a vegan. Geez, I eat more as a mostly vegan ("vegan pescatarian" fish, and incredibly limited dairy/eggs/etc) than I ever did as a meat eater. I mean, it might be something to keep your eye out for, if you have suspicions, but I would say the odds are that this is a choice she's making for ethical reasons. Or perhaps even just to be counter-culture, and it'll be a short lived phase. Either way encourage it as long as it's not an ED.

B12 is your main problem as a vegan as it only comes from animals (I eat fish 1-2 a week), so I don't have this issue, but there are supplements that can provide this. She should get all her iron if she's eating dark greens, but it probably wouldn't hurt to take a vitamin with iron in it. I myself take a daily multi with 100% iron versus one with no iron just because of my low animal-product diet, but the dark greens have all the iron you need.

The protein myth is ridiculous. You can google this on your own, but it's 100% possible to get enough protein without animal products or even soy. Here's a link to 7 sources of plant protein: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4491/My-Top-7-Sources-of-PlantBased-Protein.html

ALSO, PEOPLE. WHEY IS NOT VEGAN, STOP SUGGESTING IT. Do not give your vegan daughter whey. Whey is an animal by product, and it's in A LOT of products (including doritos /sigh). Whey is a milk by product from after the curdling process. Casein is also NOT vegan - also a milk product! (For the record many "dairy free" cheeses contain Casein including Galaxy). Get used to reading food labels, or teach her to do it herself.

I would recommend going to a nutritionist because of her age. Obviously her health is the most important thing. But go to one who is accepting and understands the needs of a vegan diet.

And if she's being ostracized and wants to stop - she will. She's a teenager guys. That's what teenagers do. Teenagers explore new things and she could be experimenting with things much worse than veganism. Also personally, I can still go out to eat easily. At any sit down restaurant they will make something for me (even if it's just a huge salad with salsa for dressing and a side of steamed broccoli!)

Obviously this is a tender topic for me, but I'm personally SICK of the amount of s*** I get for choosing to eat the way I do. I don't sit there and smack chicken wings away from omnis, so their opinions aren't always welcome. In my experience former veggies/vegans with issues did not eat a balanced diet. (No guys, you can not live on bread your body will stop working). On the other hand I know children that have been vegans since toddler age, and they're doing great!

Good on you for being a parent willing to accept your daughter's diet, AND for wanting to make sure that it's healthy.

This.

There is nothing wrong with a vegan diet that is healthy and balanced.

ANY diet, vegan, vegetarian, or omni, can be a bad diet. Meat eaters don't automatically eat better than non meat eaters. I say this as a meat eater, who has been a veggie and also done dairy free. If her diet is based around fresh fruit and veg, with some protein from legumes and tofu, she could get calcium from calcium enriched almond milk, coconut milk or soy milkk. Quinoa is also a grain that contains some protein.

Get educated with your daughter, as some have said, and keep an eye on her that she is eating balanced meals, and enough calories for her growth needs. That way you are ensuring that it really is animal welfare that she wants to be vegan and not weight control or calorie restriction purposes, but as a youth worker, I was annoyed by the immediate assumption made by some that it was an eating disorder - not all teenage girls are teetering on the edge of anorexia, and they are capable of making choices based on ethical convictions, not just wanting to look like Victoria Beckham.

Too many teenagers are completely ignorant about nutrition, food preparation, and where their food comes from. It might seem a bit extreme to go vegan, but at least she is demonstrating awareness of these issues. It might be that she will find it too difficult, or restrictive, and give up of her own accord, but the sure fire way to make her more determined to do it is to ban it. I am grateful that my parents supported my choice at her age to be vegetarian, I was veggie for around 8 years. I stopped only when I went travelling and it became too difficult.