14 yr old daughter vegetarian, wants to go vegan

Options
12346»

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The one supplement she will definitely need is B12, as there are no reliable, natural non-animal sources for this (a vegan B12 supplement will be synthetic). Other than that, I would strongly recommend the book Vegan For Life, which includes information on veganism at any stage on the lifecycle. Oh, and about proteins needing to be combined, research showed this to be untrue about 30 years ago--your body does need a variety of amino acids, but as long as you regularly consume a variety of food, there is no need to specifically combine proteins in a single meal.

I'm pretty sure Almond milk (at least the silk brand) has 50% of your daily value in B12 in just 1 cup)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Red flag! A lot of teenagers (adults too) use the vegan diet as a cover up for an eating disorder. If she has an eating disorder or history of eating disorders you need to take her to a dietician and watch her like a hawk to make sure she is eating enough or flat-out say no.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/07/22/when-veganism-is-an-eating-disorder.html

I don't have an eating disorder lol
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the time to read everything that has been said, but there is certainly some good info in this thread.

I am vegan and have been for 8 years now. The one thing I would say is try to avoid soya/soy products if you can. Fermented ones are ok, as they use the whole bean but the milks and other products only use part of the bean and thereby contain high levels of phyto estrogen which the body cannot process properly. This means there *could* be an elevated risk of breast cancer in the future. Its the same reson post menoposal women are told to use soya products as it is helpful then.

It can be hard but once she has switched and it used to it, it becomes a lot easier.

Good luck!

Uma x

actually none of this has been proven definatively and if you look at the people conducting these studies you'll find out it's from an interesting source..
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest problems that all of us seem to have, diet irregardless, is not eating enough vegetables. Upping veggie intake is good for just about everyone.

I agree with all the other posters that say your daughter needs to be involved, understanding her nutrition needs and how to meet them.

Dreena Burton has several cookbooks out, and she is raising her children vegan.

Here is a link to her website that discusses recipes specifically for kids (I think Dreena's children are still in their singles, so some of this may be too young for your daughter, but it might have some useful insight for lunches, etc.)

http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/plant-powered-kids-vegan-children-at-school-and-packing-plant-powered-lunches/
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I'm absolutely adamant that if you need to take your vitamins in pill form that you can otherwise get from food, it is not a healthy diet.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a vegan diet that is healthy and balanced.

ANY diet, vegan, vegetarian, or omni, can be a bad diet. Meat eaters don't automatically eat better than non meat eaters. I say this as a meat eater, who has been a veggie and also done dairy free. If her diet is based around fresh fruit and veg, with some protein from legumes and tofu, she could get calcium from calcium enriched almond milk, coconut milk or soy milkk. Quinoa is also a grain that contains some protein.

Get educated with your daughter, as some have said, and keep an eye on her that she is eating balanced meals, and enough calories for her growth needs. That way you are ensuring that it really is animal welfare that she wants to be vegan and not weight control or calorie restriction purposes, but as a youth worker, I was annoyed by the immediate assumption made by some that it was an eating disorder - not all teenage girls are teetering on the edge of anorexia, and they are capable of making choices based on ethical convictions, not just wanting to look like Victoria Beckham.

Too many teenagers are completely ignorant about nutrition, food preparation, and where their food comes from. It might seem a bit extreme to go vegan, but at least she is demonstrating awareness of these issues. It might be that she will find it too difficult, or restrictive, and give up of her own accord, but the sure fire way to make her more determined to do it is to ban it. I am grateful that my parents supported my choice at her age to be vegetarian, I was veggie for around 8 years. I stopped only when I went travelling and it became too difficult.

Good post, however, I only suggested to be aware of an eating disorder in my initial post because I became vegetarian in the midst of an eating disorder myself when I was a teenager. I told my family I was doing it for ethical reasons, and I honestly did (and do still) care a great deal about those reasons. But it also allowed me to cut a number of other foods out of my diet. I don't think all teenage girls are teetering on anorexia as you said, but I know it does happen sometimes, because it happened to me. I just wanted to make the OP aware of the possibility since no one else had mentioned it.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I'm absolutely adamant that if you need to take your vitamins in pill form that you can otherwise get from food, it is not a healthy diet.

so I guess hardly anyone has a healthy diet since most people don't get enough vitamin D and have to take a supplement.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options

so I guess hardly anyone has a healthy diet since most people don't get enough vitamin D and have to take a supplement.
    "Although vitamin D is commonly called a vitamin, it is not actually an essential dietary vitamin in the strict sense, as it can be synthesized in adequate amounts by all mammals from sunlight."
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you check ' the china study', 'forks over knives', or 'fire engine2 diet' there is great info about vegan diet including recipes...
  • tarahuff63
    Options
    Smart Mom- My daughter also was a vegetarian for a few years. I would definitely take her to a doctor that will give the facts and options for both of you. The nutritional needs for a teen girl are different than an adult woman. Living a vegan diet is a lifestyle and takes work. If she is honestly committed due to convictions, I would make her do the research also on this lifestyle and make an agreement with you that she will only do this IF her nutritional needs are met. Supplementation can only go so far. Most of our nutritional needs must be met through diet for optimal health. I would not dissuade her but if she is mature enough to follow her convictions, she must also be mature enough to take the responsibility on living it in a healthy manner. This could be a great opportunity for her to learn very healthy habits young.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well considering she's a young teenager, the worst thing you could do is outright forbid it. I would follow the advice of those on this thread that have encouraged you to seek out outside assistance in helping her have a healthy transition.

Also, make sure she keeps in mind all the hidden non-vegan products. Medicine in gel caps are a no-go. Obviously, leather shoes and purses. Cosmetics...
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I only suggested to be aware of an eating disorder in my initial post because I became vegetarian in the midst of an eating disorder myself when I was a teenager. I told my family I was doing it for ethical reasons, and I honestly did (and do still) care a great deal about those reasons. But it also allowed me to cut a number of other foods out of my diet. I don't think all teenage girls are teetering on anorexia as you said, but I know it does happen sometimes, because it happened to me. I just wanted to make the OP aware of the possibility since no one else had mentioned it.

Agreed, I suggested this not because if a young girl wants to go vegan it means she has an ED, but because EDs are by nature illusive and this is still a popular pro-ana tip out there. It was when I had an ED, and it probably always will be. My parents obviously didn't think "OMG my hippie pagan tree hugging daughter is suffering from anorexia" they thought "this is another symptom of my tree hugging hippie pagan daughter being weird when will this phase be over." I will say though that a parent being aware of what a vegan diet for their child SHOULD look like, they will be more likely to spot one that is for caloric restriction. But just because a teenager seems fine, healthy, or doesn't look or seem like they have an ED doesn't mean they do not. Even if this girl is developing or having eating problems: saying "No" or outright not supporting/trying to sabotage dietary choices (which my parents did) would NOT be a way to deal with it because EDs are often less about "losing weight" and about control and are coping mechanisms: so taking control away in this area will only hurt someone suffering from an ED unless you are actively on a rehab program.

And on the soy note, most people agree some kinds (fermented, whole bean, and more traditional forms) are good for you but it's more the amount of soy people eat that causes problems. Some people will be more sensitive than most - like any other food allergy. It's important to be aware of the issues surrounding soy consumption though so if you develop those symptoms you will know why instead of continuing on eating a food that is making you ill. (Same for nuts and people with nut allergies, though they tend to be deadly so most people wouldn't ignore that.)
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    I have tried Vegan and I 100% fully support it (however, my bank account and dorm dining plan did not). I am a vegetarian (5 years) and have never once had heath issues with it. If you want a good vegan diet ideas and why it is good the book Skinny ***** is fabulous. There are so many soy, dairy-free alternatives that there really is no need to at least try it.
    As long as protein is up enough (and as already a vegetarian I don't see that as being new problem if it is) there shouldn't be problems.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Get a vegetarian b12 supplement from you health food store if you don't already have one and make sure it is definitely says methylcobalamin on the label. Nutritional yeast or "nooch" from the bulk bin at your local store as well if she doesn't already use it. It's also a good source of b12. Teach her to read the labels on food really well. Soy cheeses sometimes sneak in casein. Educate her, let her know that just because a product like earth balance is vegan friendly it is still composed of saturated fat.