What was your bottom/ah-ha moment....

Options
I've been struggling the past few weeks (ok, two months) with getting motivated and telling myself tomorrow is my day and ultimately I fail and disappoint myself.

I was just wondering...........what was your bottom and/or ah ha moment (if there was one) where you said enough and started your weight loss/exercise journey?

(I should also not try posting when I first wake up) ;)

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    when I had some lovely photos done with a friend, when they arrived a few weeks later I said 'I'm never going to look like this again'. Totally shocked - especially as it was a day when I'd had fun, been happy, felt pampered etc and 'at my best'. and I had a moon face staring back at me. I still have that pic on my phone to remind me, I don't even recognise that girl any more!

I was also sitting and watching my kids instead of joining in, and I hated that. My aim has always primarily been to be fit and healthy rather than a certain weight - so now I'm just under the top end of 'normal' BMI (which was a huge change from 29.9!), but I can run up the stairs without getting out of breath, and enjoy my life and theirs. The challeng is keeping it there. Maintenance is far harder than the loss was!

You can do it - every decision is a new one and can be good, even if the previous one was shockingly poor! You don't have to wait for the next day or the next week to make a good decision about food or exercise.

Oh, and motivation is a myth - but you can have determination. For me routine was very important - if it's Monday at 6.30pm then I'm doing XYZ. I also found a personal trainer invaluable to kick start fitness improvement as it pushed me beyond what I thought I could do - which is exactly what your body needs to change!
    :)
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No one exact moment for me, just a long time of feeling not happy with myself. Getting a personal trainer was what worked for me. I told myself that it simply had to work, because if it didn't then I would be forever overweight and that made me worry. Luckily it is working.

Remember this journey is small steps. Rather than having a succeed or fail mentality, can you set yourself small goals? Today I won't eat chocolate, today I won't snack after dinner, today I will walk - whatever you need for you. Not sure if this will help, but if it does, then I am pleased I wrote it.

Good luck, it is hard but well worth it : )
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I met my Now boyfriend, he was the first person who I really wanted to be my absoute best for, when I saw our first pgoto together "I nearly died" I was shocked at how far i had let myself go , even though i had already lost 6kg before I started this new journey. I knew I had to do this to be better healthier for me, for him.

I always start these things and never really makeit work for myself. This time I am!! I am an additional 8kg down and I feel great, so far mybiggest pants was a 22 i now were a 16. Still got 16kg to go atleat.

I have HORRRRIBLE before photos at home that remind when i loose focus too!

Its a lifestyle change, embrace it and love it!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    For me, I was getting gradually more and more depressed as I couldn't squeeze myself into my favourite clothes and beautiful sexy underwear anymore. In terms of motivation I record weight loss TV shows and when I'm due a workout I watch them and they inspire me to go get on the treadmill, etc. The Biggest Loser really motivates me to get out of my chair :-)
  • triheart
    triheart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There was lots of build up "moments" - even my "fat clothes" getting too small, seeing pictures of myself/avoiding the cameras, etc., but the ultimate moment was going to the doctor's office for a regular check up and seeing that number on the scale! I actually cried right there in his office!! That appointment was April 26, I started MFP April 27, and I'm up to 37 pounds loss now! I can't wait for my follow up appointment in December!! LOL
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There were 3 main ones.
    1. I was walking to the station after work eating a banana when a woman said to her little girl 'If you eat too much you will look like that fat lady'.
    2. Having to lift my stomach in the shower to clean underneath it. I was only 36 and felt so unnattractive.
    3. Having a surgeon tell me I had 5-10 years to live if I carried on abusing my body.

I am so grateful for my second chance I will not allow anything or anyone to stop me from achieving my being healthy goal.
  • evademers
    Options
    I am turning 40 in 6 months and i want to be healthy happy and lastly have a bikini body...lol My turning moment was I was put on meds that made me gain weight and after being thin my whole life I decided since i wasnt going to change my meds that i better start eating heathier and get my body moving!! Now I am addicted and have finally found something I love to do for myself and my mind. Its a great stress reliever and you will feel sooooo good once you take the first step!! You can do it do it for you health first the rest will follow i always say MIND BODY and spirit!!!! Today is the day take your first step, youll be glad you did :)
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself on a cruise...knew I had to do something.
  • shanlc77
    Options
    my moment was when i found out that my dad's sister was going to pass away due to heart/diabeties related problems. This will be his second sister in less than 4 months to die of the same issues. I was heading in the same direction as they were and I dont want my dad to live through that with me.
  • tarisaralonde
    tarisaralonde Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We were at work and one of my coworkers mentioned the MFP app. So I downloaded the app and started doing it for a couple of days. Then I thought, AHA! This is so easy. If I'm on Facebook everyday on my phone, I could use this app everyday on my phone as well. Then I did it. 100+ straight days now and still counting. 30 lbs lost. :)
  • Tinamac1
    Tinamac1 Posts: 39
    Options
    Photos of my dads wedding. Just a few weeks ago my brother come to me and was like "Oh my gosh you have lost so much, I saw the photos of the wedding and wow." The wedding was in 2009 I think.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Emma, that is GREAT advice. Small goals are doable and you have to pat yourself on the back for every little one you achieve. Baby steps. We have all been on that "I blew it so I will eat everything ang start again tomorrow" roller coaster a million times. If you make a mistake, say oh well and get back on track right away. The trick is to on track more often than off track.... Not to be perfect.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I got a phone call to say that my toddler had an "episode" and an ambulance had been called - I ran the whole way and it almost killed me. That was the beginning of the end of my unhealthy lifestyle.
    That and my morbidly obese mother visiting.
  • Catalpa62
    Catalpa62 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A friend asked me to be in her wedding. I said yes, of course, and went to go get fitted for the dress.

I was a size 18 when I thought I had been a size 14, at most.

I came home that day, stripped down, and looked at myself. *Really* looked. What I saw was unacceptable. That day, I found MFP, and I've never looked back.

Good luck on your journey!! :)
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I didn't step on the balance for a very long time. Maybe 1 year. And what I saw completely shocked me.
    Now I know that numbers don't mean anything, that the scale can lie... but that was just way too much.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    ironically it was when my friend Vann sent me an invite to join MFP; I've been hooked and motivated ever since!
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    I had just bought a bunch of size 13 pants a couple months before and was growing out of them, like I seemed to do a little at a time since I was a size 5. And we had no money to go buy new clothes for me. So, I buckled down. I've lost 11.5 lbs and tomorrow will make 1 month for me. (: those size 13's are loose on me now and I almost comfortably fit into AE size 12 (: I'd told myself after my daughter was born I was gonna get skinny. Skinnier than I'd ever been but that didn't happen after the c-section. So, almost 16 months later I decided it was time. (: Better late than never.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Mine was just last week... I Had goals.. that turned into dreams... been pretty sick, i felt like i was cutting myself short and using it as an excuse not to reach my goals... but then a very special person in my life told me i was worth more and to stop being a sad c@nt. O_O thats when i was like oh lawd.... and now im back on track to competeing. ^^
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My doctor diagnosed me with Diabetes in December apparently she had done it 3 months earlier but hadn't told me, only added more meds then on a follow up visit in Dec. I saw it in my chart and realized if I didn't get serious I was going to put myself in an early grave.

I was 35 when I had my first child and 38 when I had my second, I figured if my girls waited as long as I did to have kids I might not meet my grandbabies so I guess I had found my long term motivation to reverse my poor health in hopes to live long enough to meet the next generation.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....There are so many moments.

Like going to a restaurant and they either have only booths or their chairs are bolted to the ground, so we have to go somewhere else to eat because I couldn't fit in the chairs.

Or anything to do with flying. You could see people cringe when they came down the aisle and saw me sitting by the window, and then having the armrest dig into my leg the entire flight.

Or walking through the mall and seeing teenagers and kids laughing at how big you are.

Or having to watch my kids ride all the rides at the amusement park and me just take pictures.

Or not being able to wear my wedding ring because I couldn't get it on my finger.

Only buying my clothes off EBAY because even the Big and Tall store didn't have my size.

Not being able to play hockey with my 15 year old son, or go for walks with my daughter.

Then there was all the medical stuff. Perhaps the rock bottom was the sleep apnea and having to wear a mask at night to sleep. Uggghhhh....I hated that thing. :cry: :ohwell:

BUT.....that's all changed now, and I'm hitting the amusement park with my kids for the first time in probably 10 years next week!! They are my inspiration and motivation. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!