What was your bottom/ah-ha moment....

Options

Replies

• majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Mine was just last week... I Had goals.. that turned into dreams... been pretty sick, i felt like i was cutting myself short and using it as an excuse not to reach my goals... but then a very special person in my life told me i was worth more and to stop being a sad c@nt. O_O thats when i was like oh lawd.... and now im back on track to competeing. ^^

AHHHH....one of those friends that doesn't hold anything back I'm guessing.....lol. Gotta luv em. :smile:
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    fat clothes started fitting too snuggly.

then my boyfriend proposed to me.

i didn't to be a chunky bride and also, didn't want to become a fat wife. even though we plan for the wedding to be over a year from now, i wanted to start losing the weight and know i could maintain 'til the big day and beyond... since that's where the real struggle begins for some...

i love my fiance to death and believe that keeping myself healthy shows respect for not only myself, but for him. i don't want him worrying about me or get to the point where he says, "baby... those pants don't really fit..." i gained 10 lbs the first year we dated--all happy weight of course--and while he never said anything and still considered me physically attractive, it will only get harder to lose weight if i let too much time go by. so i started the second week in july :)
  • RAWRFEARME
    Options
    my ah ha moment i'll admit was only a week ago! i've been off and on with dieting for a wile. I walked by a mirror about to change into pajamas and just thought,'I'm 40 pounds over weight' so instead of changing into some PJs i put on some jogging clothes and went for a 30 minute jog/walk. Then i put alarms on my phone, 6:55 Look in mirrior, 7:00 go jogging, 7:30 you can go home now. Having your phone bug you till you do something you need to do makes me run everyday
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Mine was a picture with hubby in February when I weighed 221 pounds - my highest ever. I looked at that picture and thought "OMG I'm a fat person." I had a double chin. My upper arm was huge. I also had noticed that when I was driving I could feel rolls of skin touching the insides of my arms. I hated it. That, and the medical issues I had been experiencing, sent me over the (good) edge.
  • victoriaannewilliams
    Options
    I've been on MFP for at least a year, and I would be good for a week, and then terrible on weekends, and would feel so guilty and just come back on here every once in a while. Then I found this girl's blog: undressedskeleton.tumblr.com and I realized that could be me! She went from in the 200's to the 115's. I don't want to be that skinny, but I would like to be around 130. After looking at that I said enough with the excuses, if I'm doing it I'm going all in. I quit drinking sodas, and just had a cup of coffee with a serving of creamer so I wouldn't have terrible headaches, and now I don't even need caffeine! I weighed myself everyday and saw the scale go down, and that kept me motivated!!!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Looking at some christmas pics and seeing Fred Flinstone next to my wife.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    We had a physical in my school and I was the heaviest out of 24 females in my class.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just woke up one day and knew. It was time to change.

Of course like most people, I wanted to give up at every tiny set-back. What keeps me going is that after I had lost a good amount of weight and toned up, I got fitted and bought a bridesmaid dress for my best friend's wedding in 9 months. The consultant at the dress store said it's IMPOSSIBLE to have the dress "let out" if I gained weight because of the type of fabric/cut, but it can be taken in. It's a size 8, the smallest I've been in my adult life. I have put it on twice since then for reference, and it's getting a little loose :)
    I keep in mind that if I give up and gain the weight back, I won't be able to be in her wedding.
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    my moment was when my husband snapped a pic of me when I wasn't paying attention. I was drinking a soda pop, and surfing the internet. He meant to get a pic of our small son in his playpen (next to me - we were watching videos earlier), and I saw how I looked...it was terrible. That was it for me. I am NEVER going back. I have worked myself hard and I'll continue to do it until I get to my ultimate goals.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Mine was just last week... I Had goals.. that turned into dreams... been pretty sick, i felt like i was cutting myself short and using it as an excuse not to reach my goals... but then a very special person in my life told me i was worth more and to stop being a sad c@nt. O_O thats when i was like oh lawd.... and now im back on track to competeing. ^^

AHHHH....one of those friends that doesn't hold anything back I'm guessing.....lol. Gotta luv em. :smile:

^^ yup lol :D. wouldnt want it any other way <3.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My sister decided to get weight loss surgery, and since all of my brothers and sisters have lost their weight so far, I didn't want the only fat sibling. Superficial, I know, but losing the weight with my sister has really helped and it's exciting to think we will all be a normal size, because all seven of us have had weight issues.
  • sun_shine_day_dreams
    Options
    Having chest pains at 36. I have been overweight for all of my life and have tried to lose weight in my 20s and then again after having my kids without success. I went to the cardiologist who pointed out that I was overweight - well duh! He gave me a target weight and that is what I am going for. That was in May and since then I am down 30 lbs. The chest pains ended up being due to anxiety but that was enough for me. This time I am doing it for me and me alone. That was AH-HA for me.

4520987.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Seeing a photo of me over a year after my son was born and I thought I was doing well. I have small eyes but I like them...when I gained 50 pounds my eyes looked super tiny in my fat face. That's when I knew.....so embarassing.
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    After having struggled with thyroid issues for 2 years with regular check ups to the Dr. Every time I went I had gained another 2 or 3 lbs... During that time I put 30 lbs on my already too fat body. The end of Jan 2012 I decided I've got to do what I could to help myself out of an early grave. So, I started weight watchers and HATED it. I was starved (course I was also eating about 1100 calories!!!) Stayed on that for 5 weeks and lost 11 lbs. I was motivated but constantly sabotaging myself with binges. A friend at church mentioned MFP on facebook.. Got curious, started tracking my WW food going against the rules of MFP. Decided ater a few days to try the MFP cals/fat and all. Loved it! I've been loosing a steady 1 or 2 lbs a week. Down 32 lbs since January now. My ah-ha moment was probably when I went to the store for new jeans as the inside seams of my thighs have ruined all the jeans I had and I had a hard time getting into the 18 I was trying on... Now I'm in mostly 14's and I can run a whole mile without stopping - amazed with myself really!
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options

^^ yup lol :D. wouldnt want it any other way <3.

I know right? I have a friend and co-worker who is like that. She has no problem saying "You're being a d!ck." and snapping me outta my funk. Great to have around to get me out of the pity party's sometimes. lol.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I took my dog for a walk and was out of breath by the second block. The ironic thing is that I've naturally lost enough in the last year that my fat pants hadn't fit in over 12 months; I had just recently thrown them out when I "hit bottom" when walking my dog.

If I can't control my medical issues, then at least I'm going to control the basic health of my body. I'm done punishing it for the various health problems (not due to being overweight) it's burdened me with throughout the years. This sack of meat is gonna be my home for a long time, so I might as well be kind to it.
  • alyssamathis
    Options
    My ah-ha moment (just like many other people) was when I saw myself in a video my husband was taking of me. I wasn't aware he was actually doing it, so there wasn't any of the normal sucking in, standing up straight, turning a certain way to make it seem a bit better. It was just me, all gut and thighs. I was horrified. I cried and he was heartbroken he hurt me (it didn't mean to and he says he loves my body...of course, because love blinds us thank GOD!). Anyway, I never wanted to go through that again. I can take having my hair messed up and looking silly with a weird facial expression, but I want him to be able to do that anytime and be happy about doing it and not steal the joy he has from loving me by letting my own self-critical attitude stand in the way. I want to be relaxed and....who's with me....I want to STOP talking about my weight! I am so tired of my weight being a topic of conversation!!!
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The day I stepped on the scale and saw a number I never want to see again. I had talked about losing weight prior to that day but that's when it all finally clicked and I got serious about it. Some days I'm still surprised I'm actually doing this but I am so thankful that I am.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    My husband planned to take me on a cruise. The thought of being the big girl in one of "those" swimsuits around a bunch of thin people for a solid week made me cringe, so I did a couple of weeks of research on how to eat healthy & exercise, then I just did it and lost 56 lbs. in 5 months. I still have about 45 to go. There have been many times when I lost the "umph" now that the cruise is over, but I'm doing whatever it takes to keep myself going. Planning another cruise next year is my current motivation. :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!