The 2 sides to MFP

Replies

• bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    I don't post in those threads. How boring? I find them kind of childish, but if someone wants to rate some and be noticed, then go for it. I agree, if you don't like it, you don't have to look at it.

I agree with you ErinBeth! :) I think they are extremely childish. it's definitely not just teeny boppers and 20 somethings posting in there, though. LOL

I will say this... it's very difficult, at least for me, not to click on those stupid posts... and then boom... demotivated. I get both sides.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member

Why do you think there is something wrong with me for pointing out the difference between the mentality of those on the main groups and those on the 'rate me' threads?

I don't think that you can make a broad sweeping generalization on the "mentality" of everyone who participates in what is just a fun thread.

Again, some people- they are just here to try and score someone.

The vast majority of us- just like to have fun once in awhile. Doesn't mean I am a 16 y.o. looking to hook up with a dude on this site because I decide to comment in a thread of that nature.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    I mostly avoid the Chit Chat forum myself... You should have redirected him to Success Stories, Food and Nutrition, Motivation and Support - as well as how handy the food database is.
    THIS^^^^^
    I stay away from most of the posts, too. I don't ever post a public question because there are too many that just rip your question apart and some very nastily... Basically this is a great site. If a post subject doesn't interest a person, don't go there. Have your friend, friend request me. I love helping others reach their goals and even tho I had reached my goal long ago, it helps to keep me motivated and on track, too. This is not a diet. For me it will always be a lifelong journey.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I post a lot (more than I should) and I have never felt the need to post in any of those threads. I barely notice them. If that's all you want to focus on, that's your problem.
  • AmericanCowboy76
    AmericanCowboy76 Posts: 99 Member
    This is one of the reasons I don’t post pics on here (the other being this is my first real foray into online and I have some of my employees on here). I am a reasonably attractive man, decent shape, widower, good father, good job and I ride rodeo. I don’t have self esteem probs. However look at how these threads work going each way about attractiveness. A site devoted to positive encouragement and getting healthy judges everyone on looks. That is sad and counterproductive I am also a very traditional guy. I believe in marriage, and keep passion between to people. But almost everyone constantly posts about sex. I can understand good natured flirting but I see so much raunchy stuff and so much same gender sexual talk its unreal. I don’t judge anyone on it, or complain or even delete people for it but it sure disturbs me. I pretty much think I am too old fashioned for this site and that’s a shame. I wonder how many just delete over these issues.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    OP... I blame you for telling him MFP is all sunshine and roses in the first place. And for claiming the chit chat forum DEVALUES MFP. You, sir, are ridiculous for missing... reality.

Hey come on - I'm going to try and 'sell' something to him by saying "Yeah it's ok, plenty of annoying know-it-alls, lots of supeficial people, many many trolls, but filter that and there's loads of great stuff too"?

Of course whilst I'm extolling the virtues of MFP, I'm going to paint it in only a good light. My point was that by coincidence or other - every message seemed to be just the opposite of what he wanted to see
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    10!

oh wait, wrong thread...my bad.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    I was praising MFP to a friend the other day, explaining how good it was and how useful I had found it (He had noticed that I had lost weight and asked me about it), especially the support from everyone on these forums. He is very overweight and so self concious that he is reluctant to go to the gym, or even to weight watchers etc. I explained that the ethic on MFP was that nobody judges and that everyone is equal including the very overweight - motivating stuff!

It's a judgement free zone... for women.

This is an unfortunate problem. IMO, the "Recent Forums" topics that comes up in your HOME PAGE should be free of the Chit-Chat section by default. It's not enough to avoid clicking, since the topics are inserted into your home page.

Or, you could advise him just to use the mobile apps, which don't do that.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    I post a lot (more than I should) and I have never felt the need to post in any of those threads. I barely notice them. If that's all you want to focus on, that's your problem.

Whose problem? Not mine - If I don't want to see them, I don't look

I'm just thinking of the first impression of MFP that my friend, and possibly many others, see
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    I can understand both sides. I have participated in these silly threads before. Some want to be told they look great, which I don't think is a problem. Good for them that they are becoming fit and want a little reassurance on how they look. We are all shallow at times.
    I don't see a problem with it as long as it is in the appropriate section. All these people participate willingly and as long as it is not hurting anyone or being malicious I say let them have their fun.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Read this argument, it gets made here all the time. Tell me how much sense it makes.

"I skipped the Fitness/Exercise, Motivation/Support, Nutrition sections of the forums. I headed right for Chit Chat, Fun & Games. No one in there was talking about fitness or nutrtition!! It was all frivolous! What is wrong with this site??"

The problem is not MFP. The problem is a lack of basic intelligence from some of it's users.
  • Here is also another way to look at this.

The chit-chat sections is a place for people to have fun, blow off steam, joke around. So a lot of those thread titles, are just being being funny, and trying to lighten to mood up.

Are some people on here creepy and looking to use this as a dating site? Of course. You will run into that on most social media type sites on the internet these days. The point is to find and make friends with people who are like minded and will help you along the journey.

I know that I have commented on threads in the chit chat section. That doesn't mean that I am not motivated about losing weight, or using this site for dating purposes. It also doesn't mean that I am not helpful or want to help motivate others to lose weight. We all need to let off steam once in awhile.

Tell your friend to come back and connect with people who can help him, and have him stay out of the forums for now if seeing titles like that offend or makes him uncomfortable.

This ^^
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Personally, I don't go to that section. But it doesn't bother me that there is a chit-chat section. It's to be expected.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    I guess I'm confused what someone would think they would see on any website in a forum called "Chit Chat, Fun and Games".

If you are here to lose weight and make changes and that is IT...there are what...8-10 other forums SPECIFICALLY for that. Those are the places that should be highlighted. BUT....that one forum with random non related WL threads doesn't deserve to be crapped on just because others don't like it or can't handle it. We are all going the same journey, though maybe taking different paths.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    You should mention to your friend that the "ratings" are total BS anyway. I've never seen under a 9. I swear. I'm sure it makes a lot of people feel good too. I refuse to get in on those because, frankly, if someone gives me a 10 I know they're lying and it'll just make me angry. And the cute/sexy things about above poster.. Nobody has ever been like "OMG EWWWW NO WAY!" Anything super insensitive like "omg I hate fat people" or "omg I hate skinny people" -- those all get deleted at some point.

Just saying.

Tell him to give it a chance. :)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Read this argument, it gets made here all the time. Tell me how much sense it makes.

"I skipped the Fitness/Exercise, Motivation/Support, Nutrition sections of the forums. I headed right for Chit Chat, Fun & Games. No one in there was talking about fitness or nutrtition!! It was all frivolous! What is wrong with this site??"

The problem is not MFP. The problem is a lack of basic intelligence from some of it's users.

My favorite part of this thread is all the people who neeevvveerrr come into the Chit Chat section. They're above that. Lucky for us they just got lost and stumbled in here apparently...

BANNED for having great guns.

what? wrong thread again? darnit.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Honest when I recommend this site to my friends I tell them to stay off the forums until they are established into a routine because I don't see them as supportive. It seems to me unless you are posting pics of your progress or sharing a NSV you are just as likely to be bashed for not doing the plan "right" or the same way as all the diet and exercise experts (aka MFP members). I mean seriously does a day go by when there isn't a heated thread about eating exercise calories, how many calories should you be eating and the ever popular starvation mode? Is there any wonder people get confused and give up early on with so much contradicting information in the forums. For that matter even in the support threads you see people get bashed on occassion, saw one girl get to "normal" bmi share her success and then get bashed because she had also decided to set a goal to get to the lower end of the normal range.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    OP... I blame you for telling him MFP is all sunshine and roses in the first place. And for claiming the chit chat forum DEVALUES MFP. You, sir, are ridiculous for missing... reality.

Hey come on - I'm going to try and 'sell' something to him by saying "Yeah it's ok, plenty of annoying know-it-alls, lots of supeficial people, many many trolls, but filter that and there's loads of great stuff too"?

Of course whilst I'm extolling the virtues of MFP, I'm going to paint it in only a good light. My point was that by coincidence or other - every message seemed to be just the opposite of what he wanted to see

Listen, if your friend is going to use the Chit Chat forum as an excuse to not use MFP or any other tool to improve his health, but instead overlook every single other attribute of this site... that is his problem. And apparently you're making it yours.

You sold it to him improperly. You failed. Quit blaming everyone else. Sounds like both of you need to pull up your boot straps and take a cold hard look at reality... this is the freaking internet. And no one, NO ONE, is responsible for your feelings but you.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    WEXHAUSTING_ADULT.jpg
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    wtf is wrong with you OP??
    and others.

so if somebody came here went from fat to ripped they have to leave the page cose they are too good looking now?
    this is chit chat section it supposed to be for fun
    and yes, we are getting hotter in the process so we feel sexier so we want to rate and be rated
    what is wrong with that?

it's not myfatpal it's myfitnesspal for people who want to get fit and SURPRISE for people who are fit

I was waiting for someone to get all indignant. I think you're missing my point. Who said only fat people can go on MFP? Who said you can't be fit and go on here? Who said you can't have fun on the chit chat section?

Why do you think there is something wrong with me for pointing out the difference between the mentality of those on the main groups and those on the 'rate me' threads?

oh so I'm free to post whatever I want but as long as you approve and it's within mentality defined by ... you

Wow. Deep breathe. Why are you so mad?