What exercise are you doing that burns the most calories?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm always seeing people that I am friends with burning 400-500 calories doing some type of exercise. How are you achieving such high calorie burns? What is your favorite calorie burning workout?

Running for me, I burn approx 100 calories every ten minutes - 600 calories per hour if I run for that amount of time.

I don't remember the article off the top of my head, but one of Lyle McDonald's articles says 100 cals per 10 minutes is a good gauge for most people.
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I burn 400 in 35 mins on the elliptical doing interval with resistance and incline. I always cross reference the calories burned on the elliptical to what MFP says.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the article off the top of my head, but one of Lyle McDonald's articles says 100 cals per 10 minutes is a good gauge for most people.

In general for me:

10 cal/min for me is my Recovery zone activity.

12 cal/min is Aerobic zone.

15-16 cal/min is Lactate threshold zone.

17 over is Anaerobic zone.

I could do 15 cal/min for an hr, but it better have been a rest day before, and it'll likely be one after. And usually spin bike, running is too much pounding for that level though I have done it, outdoor bike as too many stops to maintain it.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Swing dancing!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Zumba, Precor 100i AMT, Arc trainer , boot camp and a 5k race give me 400-600 calorie burns in an hour.
  • muthrb
    muthrb Posts: 16
    Options
    Can't run anymore so Spinning does it for me.
  • Jenna9797
    Jenna9797 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Body Pump!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    running
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wii Just Dance - no joke. Burns calories faster than running for me! (W/HRM)
  • rgrewall
    rgrewall Posts: 22
    Options
    eliptical

Agree. I figure a 30 minute work out will yield around 300+ calories. However that's on the 'weight loss' or 'manual' one. When I chose "cardio" OMG did that work me out and in 30 minutes burned70 calories! Plus it's easy on the knees.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    Treadmill on a incline
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Running and swimming are calorie roasters but the best is bikram (hot) yoga. Not regular yoga but hot yoga. At 105 degrees with 40% humidity you will definitely burn some cals!!!
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's a toss up for me. It's between running and my cardio bootcamp class where we use kettlebells. Depends on how much I exert myself, but I usually range anywhere from 500-800 calories.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think MFP has the calorie counts much higher than they actually are, so if people aren't entering calories burnt from a HRM, I would imagine that there's a good chance that they're not actually burning that much.
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    running! i avg 15/min
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cybex Arc Trainer -- It's like a super powered elliptical. I burn about 800 cals an hour on it!

I use the Arc trainer too. Excellent (and exhausting!) exercise - can really feel the burn after a while!
  • rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    Spin and Kickboxing - Easier for me to stay motivated when exercising with a group of people.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    HIIT, Insanity, running up and down stairs. Anything else isnt a workout for me. I end up burning the same thing as walking.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    I burn 2000+ a day just from being alive.