Options

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    the original list sucks.

Mine:
    -Bench body weight (up to 70% now)
    -squat 1.5X (can already do body weight)
    -deadlift 2X (can already do almost 1.5X)
    -do more than 1 pullup in a row (can do 1 at a time)
    -learn good form on all oly lifts including snatches even if my weights never become impressive.
    (can do good cleans, clean and press, and clean and jerk now, but low weight)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Recently MSN printed an article on the 4 Fitness Goals that every woman should try to reach :
    1. Hold a plank pose for 60 seconds
    2. Run a half-marathon
    3. Pull off 10 push-ups
    4. Hold the yoga tree pose for 60 seconds

Previously, my fitness goals included wanting to learn how to swim, completing a 5K and running a 10 minute mile.....but nothing really beyond that. However, after reading the article, I realize that I should really challenge myself to set longer term fitness goals...but I gotta start somewhere, right? lol~

So ladies.........what's on YOUR fitness bucket list????

Btw, here is the link to the article: http://innovationforendurance.msn.com/articles/detail/fitness/253236719

Well, I can definitely hold a plank for 60 seconds, and I think I could hold a Tree pose for 60 seconds. And I can walk a full marathon, and have no interest in running a half (I got achilles tendinitis when I tried endurance running last year).

But here's my question about pushups. For me, it means military style. Hands on the floor, and on your toes, not your knees. I wonder how many women who say they can do 10 pushups are doing "girl" pushups on their knees instead of toes? I can do 10 on my toes, but only if my hands are on an elevated surface (around knee-height, but working my way down to the floor).

Anyway, my additional list would include:

Squat body weight
    Deadlift 1.5x body weight
    Unassisted pull-up and/or chin-up
  • bowties_r_cool
    bowties_r_cool Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like this list. Funny thing is I have already completed #2- The half-marathon a couple of times. Yet I am still working on #1 and #3! Haha! I have very little core strength and arm strength, but I am working on it.

Other things on my bucket list:

1. Hold a hand stand for 60 seconds
    2. Run a full marathon
    3. Have splits, left/right and center
    4. Do a walking hand stand around a good sized room
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lui9ko0W911qhm211o1_500.gif
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm this could be a long one...but here are a few:

Run a marathon
    Complete a triathlon
    Lift my own bodyweight doing bench press (at 65 kg at the moment, damn I am 71 kg!!!)
    Complete an octathalon (http://www.octathalon.com/) in better time (pb was 12 mins 37 secs) than 3 years ago
    Better my pbs at the 5km, 10km and half marathon distances (which I have in effect done in training but not in an actual event or race)
    Get my weekly runs to over 10 miles in the new year
    Get my bodyfat percentage to 15% (20% is my immediate goal)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Deadlift twice my own bodyweight.
    Run a half marathon.
    Do 3 sets of 15 pullups in the course of a workout.
    Climb an epic mountain.
    Run a 7 min mile.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder -I am way off, but it's my goal.

To add: I can already do the original list except for the half marathon. I could run most of it, but there would be some walks in between. My pushups are military style, but 10 is my max at this point and my form is not perfect. To be able to complete the Tough Mudder I will have to be at a whole different level.
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What a great topic!!!!

1. Do a jumping jack! With out pain in my back
    2. Only eat organic and fresh
    3. Stop drinking pop..rootbeer is my devil!
    4. Get a gym membership in the new year
    5. Go to the gym at least 3x a week min for 60 min or more!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i want to run the nike women's marathon someday. tiffany necklaces with half naked firemen at the end? yes please.

i also want to squat my own weight and deadlift 1.5x my body weight.

also do one of those tough mudders/zombie run or something fun.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just had to see if I could actually hold the plank position for 60 seconds and I can! With a bit of shaking I did it. My fitness goals are to:

Finish my 5k to 10k program and actually run over 6 miles. On Week 2 Day 2 tonight.
    Hold plank for 3 minutes.
    Workout 5 times a week. 3 cardio days and 2 weight lifting days.
    Stop eating crap and ruining all my hard work.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have a few, come to think of it. Great topic :)

I want to be able to run 10 miles, currently at 6. I know it's possible!
    I want to perfect my yoga poses. In classes I'm usually being corrected in some way and I want to do them perfectly!
    I want to get more involved with strength training, legs, arms, and core. Right now I do none of that.
    Take a cycling class to see if I like it...pretty intimidated by them actually
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I can do #1 and 3, workin on a 5 k so no for #2 and never tried #4. My goal right now is to run a 5k not stopping and then a 10k May 4th. Other than that I am working on getting better at pushups. Don't have any other goals right now.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Recently MSN printed an article on the 4 Fitness Goals that every woman should try to reach :
    2. Run a half-marathon
    3. Pull off 10 push-ups

This seems ridiculous. Run 21 miles (1/2 marathon) or hold a plank for 60 seconds? Are these even comparable? Do you know how many hours a day you need to run to train for a half marathon? I love jogging, but I don't have that kind of time.

1. Be a healthy weight
    2. Run a 5k
    3. Have a stronger core
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Oooh, maybe the tough mudder at some point. and the color run and other fun runs.
  • berlys
    berlys Posts: 27
    Options
    I have been exercising about 3-4 days a week for the past couple months. Not eating right though. I've been really tired of being tired and lazy but couldn't seem to get out of the funk. I went to my brother's house last weekend and he showed me some really awesome videos. It's called a Spartan Race. OMG, it looks so fun and hard!! So, starting this past week, I am training for the spartan race. That is one thing that is on my bucket list...for now. I have 5 months to train for it and haven't stuck with healthy eating and exercise like that for about 4 or 5 years. Wish me luck!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I saw this article. C'mon 10 pushups and 60 seconds tree pose and plank as "bucket list material?" That's like basic grade school PE... if you can't do it... you fail... type stuff. A half marathon is a good goal. My current bucket list... which I'll admit I have not been really working on outside of boxing: 1) box an amateur match (gotta do this before I'm thirtieth next November, 2) 10 pull ups, and 3) a 6 minute mile. Maybe work on all three at once -- since they are pretty interrelated -- with a goal of doing the match next fall?
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    First I agree with many others the list seems quite contradictory. Matching together items of a wide array there. However my goals started small and no seem larger than life though I will achieve them...

2013-
    Run a marathon
    Do an Olympic Distance Triathlon

Before 2020-
    I WILL be an Ironman!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising about 3-4 days a week for the past couple months. Not eating right though. I've been really tired of being tired and lazy but couldn't seem to get out of the funk. I went to my brother's house last weekend and he showed me some really awesome videos. It's called a Spartan Race. OMG, it looks so fun and hard!! So, starting this past week, I am training for the spartan race. That is one thing that is on my bucket list...for now. I have 5 months to train for it and haven't stuck with healthy eating and exercise like that for about 4 or 5 years. Wish me luck!

Im doing my first spartan on June 1 :D
  • mightybooshmoon
    mightybooshmoon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would like to be small enough to sit in a bucket.

Other than that, I would like to:

*Run a 10K
    *Take regular fitness classes (I'm horribly shy, so this really is a major goal)
    *Backpack my pug on a 60 minute hike
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    2. Run a half-marathon
    3. Pull off 10 push-ups

This seems ridiculous. Run 21 miles (1/2 marathon) or hold a plank for 60 seconds? Are these even comparable? Do you know how many hours a day you need to run to train for a half marathon? I love jogging, but I don't have that kind of time.

1. Be a healthy weight
    2. Run a 5k
    3. Have a stronger core

You can train for a half marathon with only about 4-5 hours a week. A half marathon is only 10 point something miles.