Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am an omnivore. I eat mostly white meat because it's cheaper than red meat. I would love to eat more fish, but it is much more expensive than my chicken and pork. I also eat nuts, vegetables, fruit and lots of grains. Like I said, omnivore. Just like my teeth tell me I should be. ;)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Meat eater!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Omnivore.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, in some of the traditional cuisines of China and India, women do not eat meat (among those cuisines that include meat--and a surprising number of them do). Men do not seem to fare as well on a diet that excludes meat, fish, or eggs. There are those men who seem to thrive on vegan diets, but vegan male athletes seem to eat enormous amounts of food in order to meet their protein requirements which begets the question of: This benefits the environment, how?

When people don't pay attention to their nutrient intake, it's easy for them to come consistently under in protein, vitamins and minerals - whether they eat animal products or not. Protein is not difficult to get from a plant-based diet, you just need to do your research.

In regard to the environment - a vegan athlete consuming a large amount of food will ultimately consume less resources than an athlete who consumes large amounts of meat, eggs and dairy, as we factor in not only the plant matter that the athlete himself eats, but also the resources that it takes to get the meat, eggs and dairy to his plate.

"...When people don't pay attention to their nutrient intake, it's easy for them to come consistently under in protein, vitamins and minerals - whether they eat animal products or not. Protein is not difficult to get from a plant-based diet, you just need to do your research..."

And that's just the problem, isn't it? How many people have the knowledge to combine vegetable proteins to get the proper mix of proteins to make complete proteins? Nature has conveniently provided complete proteins in animal sourced protein. There is the additional problem of exclusively plant-based diets containing large amounts of phytic acid and that phytic acid interferes with mineral absorption. The minerals in animal products are very bioavailable.

"...In regard to the environment - a vegan athlete consuming a large amount of food will ultimately consume less resources than an athlete who consumes large amounts of meat, eggs and dairy, as we factor in not only the plant matter that the athlete himself eats, but also the resources that it takes to get the meat, eggs and dairy to his plate..."

I wouldn't be so quick to assert that. Grazing animals are often raised on marginal farm land or land that is otherwise simply not suitable for crop growing. Animals are grazed on land in areas with growing seasons that are too short for most crops or even on semi-desert land. When you account for the fact that crop-growing requires prime farm land, the draining of aquifers and LOTS of chemicals to make raising them efficient, it is not at all clear that what you have said is anything other than vegan propaganda. There is also the problem of monoculture of crops that could lead to dire circumstances one day--especially when combined with the cultivation of genetically modified plants.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Vegan...and a badass. ;)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Meat eater and lover
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    meat eater
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    meat eater some times vegatarian
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Guess!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Meat at every meal. And often at snack time.
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Meat eater, but I aspire to be a vegan one day. Seriously. Vegans are a step above the rest of us on the evolutionary scale of ethics and morality.

What a Beauuuuutiful thing to say. :D
  • jclark0523
    jclark0523 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am a carnivore to the 10th power!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    To each their own.

My husband was a vegetarian and when we married it was way easier to become one as well then to have separate dishes. (Also, once he said that he couldn't put an animal corpse in his body...well, that changed my perspective.)

I became a vegan when my father/mother began to show signs of cardiovascular disease and being a vegan made it easier for me to avoid dairy. (I'll have trace amounts in coffee....but not otherwise.)

I became gluten free vegan when my DH eliminated gluten and his knee pain and indigestion cleared up (and then would flare up when he resumed eating gluten.)

I enjoy the way I eat, I certainly enjoy feeling good..and I wish everyone well whatever they eat.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    meat eater, but not a ton of red meat. Lots of fish and chicken/turkey.

But i love me some ribs and a steak at time though.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    In a flare up: Vegetarian
    When i am healthy: Bring on the meat
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I eat meat, but on occasion have vegetarian or vegan dishes instead. Depends on what I'm craving.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    All in for red rare meat. All the better if I can hunt it down.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ThePoppyFox
    Options
    Vegan 95% of the time. Vegetarian the rest.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am almost an anti-vegetarian. A "meat and potatoes" girl. Love my eggs, dairy, etc. I can manage leafy green vegetables and I like some fruit really well.