Any More Chubby Twenties?

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday morning my beautiful ladies (and gents)!!! How I have missed you all! (And stalked you, oh yes I have!!!!)

I got my Polar F6 on Thursday and have been having so much fun with it! Today is my rest day so I’m wearing it for 24 hours straight, with the goal of finding out how many calories I burn in an average day. I wanna see how active my calculated TDEE is…. Yes, I’m a geek!

Pretty happy with how I did last week exercise-wise. I burned 4137 calories last week! Not as good as Jenn (talk about a powerhouse!) but still not too bad! Hope the scale rewards me tomorrow.

I’ve been a little lax in my water drinking lately. Today I have to drink-drink-drink to flush away the water. Bad Carrie. Was doing so well for so long………..

kaytbognar – Yes, the f6 is completely waterproof and you can swim in it! It’s awesome. I love it.

Thanks for your tips! I think I have a case of runner’s knee. I blame it on going from being NOT ACTIVE AT ALL, to being super-active for the past three and a half weeks. I think I just need to give my knees a break for a bit and work on strengthening my legs so that when I’m running, I’m absorbing a lot less impact in my knees. I’ve got a knee brace (2 for $1 at the local dollar store!) and it seems to be helping quite a bit. Once they’ve rested for a few days or a week or so, I’ll make sure to spend EXTRA time warming up and cooling down.

I took your advice and really focused on my form while I was running. I found relief in my knee- but then my ankle started to hurt! I was like, yeesh. Haha. I’m usually careful about keeping a bend to my knee when I exercise (it’s second nature from my karate training) but… at the end of the day, my knees just aren’t used to this level of exercise. So I’m just going to ease up on any exercises involving my knee, before I make things worse.

It’s good you’re ‘overzealous’, though. It’s important that we take care of ourselves and do things properly, or risk long-term damage.

Jenn – You really are a saint, you know that? Don’t worry about the keyboard, I’ll get one eventually… thanks so much just for the thought. And thanks for your kind words as well! You know, some days I look in the mirror and all I see is how much further I still have to go. Finding those old pictures of myself reminded me of how far I’ve come- and that was motivation in itself!

Oh and… 4750 this week in exercise! That’s AMAZING. Good for you!!!!! And 20 pounds? ?!! YOU are a force to be reckoned with!

kerimcdonald – Hahaha. If you only knew- I’m not organized at all! The extra dishes aren’t really that bad. I usually do cooking for myself on days when Steve isn’t in the mood to eat anything heavy and cooks for the boys. He’ll fix something simple like pizza or burgers, which don’t take up many dishes. I take advantage of those days to cook for myself! Last night the boys had sausage and perogies with veggies which looked DELISH, but I couldn’t indulge. Luckily, I had salmon, rice and veggies in the fridge to warm up and eat!

And you’re right- even though I wasn’t posting all weekend I WAS reading. Just making sure you’re all staying on track. I’m a super-spy. :D

Patti- Congratulations on the new family member! So sorry about his health problems, though. That’s heartbreaking. I really hope he pulls through okay and that the doctors are able to help him get bigger and stronger.

jrbowers83 – Good to see you again! I’ve missed you! Congratulations on the size drop! That’s outstanding!!! All the more proof that the scale isn’t everything when it comes to weight loss! You sound a lot better. And hey, come here to brag as much as you like! You call it bragging, I call it inspiration!

Mandi – Way to watch the sodium intake! Once I got used to counting calories, that’s the next thing I zeroed in on. Definitely makes a difference!

HRMs are heart rate monitors. Specifically, I’ve got a Polar F6 which comes with a chest strap and counts how many calories I burn in a workout. It’s just a lot more accurate than having MFP track my calories burned for me, which means I’m more accurately aware of how many calories I should be eating. It’s a nice little tool!

Kitchen scales are also a great tool- especially when it comes to foods that count their calories based on weight instead of volume.

chera325 – Sorry to hear about your frustration but don’t beat yourself up over 186 calories. Some days I’m up to 200 calories over my target, sometimes I’m under. 186 calories doesn’t make THAT much of a different, really. As long as you’re still running a deficit, you’ll still lose weight. Maybe not as FAST, but it will still come off.

Aside from eating more fiber and protein, and drinking more water, I don’t have a lot to recommend except time. I found after a week or two my stomach ‘shrunk’ and I got fuller a lot sooner, with a lot less effort. The first little while is always the hardest- but it does get easier! Try eating more veggies with your meals. Added volume in your tummy, but hardly any calories.

MRobbins82 – LOL. I can honestly say I’ve never had that problem! Maybe try drinking some of your calories? Milk, fruit juice, etc?

Jennplus2, frankyosage, jana1124, ladylewis, ashmarie8722, karensphotograph, CassieSeymour , sineadmm - Welcome! It’s never to late to join us and start losing!!!!
  • MercuryBlue
    Options
    BAH! I missed a bunch of posts! Apologies.

I’ve been thinking, also, I may wind up going out and picking up a keyboard today. I just miss y’all too much. Plus I run a discussion board of my own (actually, it crashed recently. I had to pick up the pieces, start from scratch- but completely redesigned the place!) and have even been neglecting that. I’ve got a bunch of friends there- all in their twenties, some college students, some moms- that I haven’t been in touch with, either. Considering I have two small kids and NO social life outside of the internet, it’s HARD to go home for the weekend on not have anyone to talk to!!!!!

LMS3386 – That is GREAT advice, and it’s exactly what I do. For example, I knew my dad was going to take me out to Boston Pizza for my birthday. I planned and logged my entire meal – dessert and all- prior to going out. Didn’t go over in calories and was SO proud of myself. That’s the way to do it for sure! Before, I’d DREAD going out for dinner because I was so afraid of slipping up…..

jrbowers83 – I’m happy to hear you had a great day! You really deserve it. I do understand your isolation. Like I said, I have no social life outside the internet! Until about four months ago, I was a SAHM and then I got back to work and actively started trying to lose weight. My New Year’s Resolution wasn’t to be thinner (I was working on that anyway) but to spend more time and energy on myself- doing things I love and rediscovering myself. So yes, go out, make some real life friends! LOVE yourself. Tell yourself you’re beautiful and worthy of attention and love and adoration.

aminor – Welcome! Congrats on losing your first pound. Your goals are great- and you’re right, mini-goals work really well because you have several milestones to celebrate.
  • kerimcdonald
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I hope we are all having a great monday!!
    My weigh in did not go as planned:grumble: but I've lost 13 inches total since last month! I can handle that! I actually gained 2 pounds last week, but again, it's really hard to feel bad with the whole inches thing

carrie- Glad you're still reading even if you can't post. You have come so far. Glad to hear the hrm is going well for you. It doesn't make you a geek, it makes you very passionate about your health!! (Sounds better than being a geek huh!)

Jenn- How's that kickboxing going! I'm busting you know what on the elliptical to try to not look so lazy!!

Kayt- A maybe date? First question. Is this someone you would like to be on a date with? I hope so. You've been doing so amazing with all of your health goals, I bet you looked fabulous when you went out, so if it wasn't a date, I'm sure he wished it was! Good luck!!

Aminor- You sound like a go get em kinda lady!! Way to go. It's okay to be agressive with your goals. Just remember that the last half is the hardest to lose, at least it has been for me, so be forgiving with yourself too. And keep postin with us, we'll help ya and support ya!!

jrbowers- Those are some good goals you've got there. Don't be worried. You've had so much going on, it's got to be scary to think about bringing anything else in like social situations. You sound like you're getting there though. Playdates are always a little awkward for me too. Too often I find that the only thing we have in common is that we both have kids about the same age!
    I try to make the meeting place someplace public like an indoor playplace or a park so if I feel uncomfortable, I can bolt. Sad, but true.:blushing: totally jealous of the baggy tens still! Can't wait to get there too!

See you all later!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carrie, you're too sweet!!! You are a great motivator!! I figure what's a keyboard between friends right?! Do they have a technology depot type place there? I assume there is since you're in T.O. and we even have them in little London, lol! You can get a keyboard at one of those places for only a few bucks, nothing fancy but it keeps you going! I'm selfishly saying this cause we MISS u!!! You burned a ton of calories this week too, awesome!! I'm sure the scale will help you out! :bigsmile: I have Chondromalacia in my knees too (some call it runner's knee) but I've had it my whole life and this form doesn't go away, boo! but it does help me be able to offer advice! Ice Ice Ice, before AND after activity...when you run, try to put your heel down first and roll onto your toes, I know you may look a bit silly, but trust me, it works! And you are correct about the resting, warming up and cooling down. You may also want to get a rolling pin, yes a rolling pin, lol, (suggested to me by my massage therapist) and roll it around the muscles on your legs, especially the IT Band which is above the knee on the outside (Don't go overbored though in this area, you can stretch this too much) just do it lightly on both sides and in your thighs and calves. This helps keep the knee in its natural spot so it slides as it is supposed to. If the muscles around your knee are too tight it can get off track depending on which are tight. Try to avoid any kind of squat or lunge until you don't feel it at all, trust me, you don't want to have it stick around and end up like me! :frown: Good luck girl, maybe this is to force you to take a min and relax maybe? Also, your fantastic pics have made me realise that I think it's time for me to take another pic, I hate taking these, lol, but you're right, it helps to see the progress. I have some that I wouldn't show anyone but myself, but I also just have some normal pics, and I notice a HUGE difference when I look at the pics...the mirror is another story!
    Keri I wouldn't let that weigh in upset you at all, you must be building muscle. 13 INCHES is amazing!! You go girl! And trust me, you're doing an hour on the elliptical, that is sooo not lazy!! That's awesome! The Kickboxing is going fantastic, I actually went to class 5 times last week, I never knew i had such endurance! Some of the instructors give us 30 sec breaks in between sets (so every 5-10 mins) but the owner was Friday's teacher, so that means no breaks longer than 5 seconds, in an hour!! Wow, I was pooped, but felt great! The scale is FINALLY going in my favor, thank goodness! I didn't believe it on Saturday (as you probably read in my other post my scale was being dumb), so I hopped on my Wii Fit and sure enough, my scale was right! YAY! I hope you're having a great Monday too!!
    Patti, Carrie reminded me about your post and I had to read back, I meant to comment but must have missed it! Congrats on your new little nephew, I hope that he starts to improve really soon, poor little thing it always breaks my heart to hear babies in trouble. My thoughts are with you and your family :flowerforyou:
    Ok, back to work, for real this time! Ha! Can you tell I have a lot of time on my hands at work, lol?
    Jenn:bigsmile:

p.s. holy HUGE post batman, lol!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Carrie, glad to see you back in the saddle, I always miss hearing from you over the weekends :) Good to hear you're caring for your knees--and ankles! It's definitely something that I've noticed when trying to take care of any/all joints in my lower body--it's all that causal chain, hip-bone-connected-to-thigh-bone-connected-to-etc. thing.

Jenn, we could repeatedly fall off our boards together--my ankles are still SUPER wobbly, I dunno if I'd be able to stay up at all. LOL!

Jenn, Keri, jrbowers-- This possible date is like, the BANE of my existence. I have NO interest in being a date with this guy--he's a 30yr old divorcee with a kid and is super flaky and showed up like three hours late. If it's just to do me a favour and show me around, it doesn't matter being that late, but if you're taking me somewhere and it's supposed to be a date? I'm sorry, but you best show up on freakin time. Anyway, he did pay, and on eof the stupid kind of nosey girls who works at the desk here keeps asking me "How was your date blah blah blah." It's really annoying! Why would I want to date anyone when I know I'm going home to Canada in three months? So not worth it. Blark. HAHAHA, plus he looks like he's 12. Yes, i'm picky and probably a big ELITIST SNOB but whatever. I've wasted enough time with losers that I know what I don't want :/

Oh well, WHATEVER. I'm trying not to stress about it. THIS is why you never get involved at all with the people you work with. Werp.

Check in today, measurements going down. Except the waist. That one refuses to budge and it drives me CRAZY. scale was at a square 170 this morning, still REFUSES to dip below. HATRED! Measurements are all still solidly below 40 so triumph there. Did pilates and swam today, gonna get my yoga in this evening. Overall, accomplishment! Huzzah.

Check you later ladies, be like helium and KEEP IT UP!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    <snip>
    You may also want to get a rolling pin, yes a rolling pin, lol, (suggested to me by my massage therapist) and roll it around the muscles on your legs, especially the IT Band which is above the knee on the outside (Don't go overbored though in this area, you can stretch this too much) just do it lightly on both sides and in your thighs and calves. This helps keep the knee in its natural spot so it slides as it is supposed to.</snip>

Good call Jenn. If a rolling pin feels like it might be a little too aggressive, you can get foam rollers or, even cheaper, pool noodles and lie with you "bad" side down and kinda roll up and down using your body weight for resistance to stretch out a tight ITB.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!
    Well I lost 1.7 this week! I was super excited as the holidays caused me to have an increase on the scale for about 5 weeks in a row, so this is great!

Carrie- So glad you popped in to say Hello. We do miss you when you are gone! Thanks for answering all of my questions about the HRM and such. I'm looking into possibly getting one once we stop having so many friggen snow days and either one of us can get a decent paycheck. Bleck! So, I think I've asked you this before, and I'll go back and check to make sure, but 4000+ calories burned in a week is just fantastic, but to me sounds monumental. Are those all from exercise??? Tell me again what your workouts look like on an average daily basis. I'm lucky if I get to 1000. Granted I don't have a lot of time, and it is my hope to work my way up to more time when I can, but it would be nice to know what an average day in the life of Carrie looks like. I can see where Jenn gets that with kickboxing, but if there are other ways, I would love to know!!!

Keri- Way to go losing 13 inches. That's fantastic!!! I wouldn't be too worried about the scale either if I could see those number! Keep truckin girl. You can do it!

Kayt- I was once told that when you lose weight, it happens from the top down for many people. Maybe you are losing it more in your face and chest and soon it will hit your midsection. Don't quote me on that, but you could google it??

Patti- I will be praying for the little man. I really hope things look up soon! Keep us informed!

Well we've had ANOTHER yes ANOTHER snow day today. It's a white out out there. I've officially missed 6.5 days of school in January alone. I'm afraid my daughter is going to have a taste of what year round school looks like. Ugh!! I'm hoping tomorrow looks better, although it's supposed to be under 20 all week. Brrrr!! Anyways, I'm off to kick my husband out of the basement so i can hop on the treadmill! Have a great day ladies!!
  • LMS3386
    LMS3386 Posts: 16
    Options
    Yikes..it's so hard to keep up with all of you girls! Haha :) I check in to MFP to update my food and exercise diary, but I haven't had the time this week to stop by the boards. I'll try to change that this week because this is no fun doing it alone :)

Hi Leah, it's Diana! I saw your picture and just had to say hi! Very ironic to see you here! I agree with you, I keep track of my calories but I really don't write on the board too often! Good luck, it seems like you are doing well! We should catch up one day!

Hey Diana! So funny seeing you over here..good luck to you too and yes, we should catch up one day :)
  • MercuryBlue
    Options
    So I went to Staples… and got a new keyboard! And a new mouse. The set was on sale so I got BOTH (wireless) for 35 dollars. YAY! Very stoked to go home and try them out.

Jenn- Thanks for the tips about dealing with runner’s knee. It’s weird because me knees didn’t bother me at ALL at first but over the past few days, my left knee just started bugging me. It seems better today but it’s nice to get different advice about how to prevent/cope with knee pain. I guess joint and muscle pain is just part of the getting fit process! However, I want to make sure I’m careful not to cause any permanent damage.

But yes, take pics! I HATED taking pictures of myself when I was big but now I wish I had more to look back on and say, “Look how far I’ve come!” I’m still not crazy about getting in front of a camera but I just keep reminding myself that I’ll want these pictures when I get to my goal, so I can compare them all.

Keri- Thanks that makes me sound less silly, hahaha! Passionate, I like it! I’m AMAZED by how many inches you’ve lost! I seem to have the opposite problem, lol. The pounds are going down, but I’m not seeing a huge difference in inches. I think I’m only down about 10 inches in the past three months or so.

kaytbognar – I’m definitely happy to be back! And now that I’ve got my keyboard I will be posting much more frequently! Sorry to hear about your annoying date. Geez. But hey, you SHOULD be picky. Why settle?

How FRUSTRATING that the scale is refusing to dip down! Inches are what count, don’t forget that! Tomorrow is weigh-in day for me. Let’s hope my scale is kind to me. I feel like I’ve worked my BUTT off all week, but my weight loss is definitely already slowing down. I guess it’s true, the lower you go the harder it gets….

Mandi- 4000 calories per week is only about 571 calories per day in exercise. Which sounds like a lot, but one JMFU2010 workout (which is a half hour long or so) knocks out between 250 and 350 calories. I follow that up with some cardio (Gold’s Gym cardio workout), and that knocks out the rest. I can burn about 300 calories or more in a half hour doing cardio. So I work out for roughly an hour a day. Sometimes more- I have two rest days a week. I usually only rest one of those days and spend the other day doing cardio. Basically, though, most of my working out is with Wii Games, or DVDs. Tomorrow, I’m going to wear my HRM while doing 10 Minute Trainer to see how many calories THAT burns. Lol. I’m a calorie-burning fool! But I make SURE to never miss a workout. Some days I’m busy and can only work out for a half hour- but then I just do two half-hour workouts.

Anyhow, just about time to go home! Can’t wait- I’m going to set up my new keyboard right away!
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Alright chatty ladies let me see if I can catch up. I actually stuck to my meal plan today (YAY) and I completed a whole 45 min. Tae Bo DVD. Jenn got me interested in kickboxing and since I don't have a gym membership I've been doing this DVD a few times a week. It usually was too intense for me and I'd have to stop after 20 min. but today I finished the whole 45 without having to stop or walk it out. Woohoo! Oh, and more news. I just registered today for a 5k race coming up in April, so starting some training for that. I've never been able to run before in my life, but I started out doing Free Run on the Wii Fit Plus, and once I could manage 30 min of jogging in place I took it outdoors. I can run an 8 min mi for 1-2 mi. which is much better than I ever thought I could accomplish. So now I'm just working on making my way up to 5k (3.5 mi.) in about 30 min. I don't intend to WIN the race by any means, but would like to finish in under 30 min. I'm super psyched about it too, because the start/finish line for the race is inside the new Dallas Cowboys stadium and it is so HUGE, amazing, dazzling.

'nough about me,time to catch up with ya'll:
    Aminor-welcome and great job setting some mini-goals for yourself. Don't feel horrible about where you're starting, just think of the great before, during, and after photos your going to have, and how much of a difference you're going to achieve :happy:

Jenn-thank you for the congrats. All the support I get is sooo much appreciated. I hope that your day ended better than it started. Rain and cold always get me cranky. Sounds like you got to have some fun time at work posting on MFP lol.

Carrie-I am constantly amazed by your tenacity. A bum knee and you just bandage it up and move right along. What a soldier you are. I hope that it starts to feel better soon. After my back issues I know what a pain it can be, especially when you feel pumped and just want to move. Thank you so much for your constant encouragement. It does make me feel better to know I'm not the ONLY person without "real" friends haha. (It's funny how parallel our lives seem to be in so many aspects.) I guess my concern is more that because I don't work so I don't socialize with anyone except the kids. So it literally drains me just to be in social situations and that's not good, ya know? So I am rejoining this playgroup that I used to run at McDonald's. Two of the same moms are still there and then I'll be meeting some newbies. That's on Wed. Then Sat. there's a date night-in at the church, so I'll be going and getting to know some more of the moms that way. So socializing this week...check. Glad you got your keyboard and mouse, so we'll be hearing from you more soon.

Keri-I know what you mean about the scale not budging. I'm going on 3 weeks of no loss. But 13 in. in one month is fantastic! I'm not even going to do my weigh in this week because I don't want to be disappointed. Something to think about, maybe a once a month weigh-in. Especially when you're seeing the inches and jean sizes lost as progress ya know? I imagine you've got quite a bit of muscle build going on with all of the elliptical that you do, so that could be part of it. And please don't be jealous, be motivated. I know hearing your busy days keeps me moving too.

patti-I completely missed the post about your cousin. I do hope that you're with your family during this time, and know lots of prayers are going out to that precious little boy. Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Mandi-Woohoo, almost 2 lb loss and I believe that makes a 2 week in a row loss for you? So you're definitely beating that holiday bulge now. Sorry to hear about so many snow days this school year. I live in TX and snow is SO rare, so I almost envy you. But I absolutely understand your frustration your poor child will be going to school clear into July at this rate. LOL. Just try to enjoy the time with your kiddos.

Kayt-thanks for clarifying the date issue. I was confused by your original desciption as happens so often in cyber-land. Ugh, yes he sounds like a bit of a flake. Don't apologize for being a snob when it comes to dating. I wish I'd been a little more selective in my choice of men over the years, my spouse included. But you may ask for clarification the next time someone invites you out, especially when it causes so much work gossip. Hope that was at least a fun evening for you despite all the awkwardness.

Well, I hope I didn't leave anyone out. Does anyone else open 2 browser windows to be able to catch up with everyone, or does that just make me crazy?
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Mandi, you know what's funny? First I lost from top to bottom--chest is much more toned, bust is gone down, face is MUCH slimmer--and now it's like I've totally skipped my waist and am losing from the bottom up--a good couple inches in the past month off thighs and butt and even around an inch off hips. I keep trying to get my WHR (waist-hip-ratio) down because it's an indicator of our family predisposition toward diabetes, but it just WON'T BUDGE. Hopefully it'll drop soon. I'm not too hung up on it, or the numbers on the scale. I know I'm doing things right, and if it comes off slow hopefully that means it'll stay off easier.

Carrie, thank goodness for Staples sales! It seems just a little bit emptier without you around on the regs :D Plus, having a busted keyboard can be a ROYAL PITA. Ugh. I'm just...deciding that it wasn't a date becuase I don't want it to be, and play stupid about the whole thing. LOL. I'm really good at playing the dumb white girl.
    Good luck with your weigh in! I hope you get a little more progress than I've been seeing. I'm thinking that perhaps I am getting to that point where it's mass conversion--it's been a couple of months now, so I'm HOPING that I'm probably starting to actually build a bit of muscle, so while the fat density might be going down the scale still isn't moving. You're working so hard lately, I hope you get a big payoff tomorrow :)
  • kerimcdonald
    Options
    Hey everyone. I just finished my workout and a delicious dinner. I pulled queen of the elliptical and kicked my hubby off. :laugh:

Carrie- Glad to hear you'll be back on with us more often. You really were missed.

jrbowers- 5k race. WOW!! My brother in law is a personal trainer and he does all of that stuff. I think he's nutty. We go out and cheer for him at all the triathalons, and my daughter already wants to do them. He's going to do a full health and metaolism work-up on me in February. I am really excited. He's ordering me an HRM and will help me use foods that are better for my body specifically to get me past the plateau. I haven't asked him before cause I didn't want him to feel like I was taking advantage of him, but he is really excited. I did say we are not working out together though. Talk about feeling like a wimp!!:sad: <
    That's me after half an hour in his care. He's really good at what he does though.

Kayt- If you didn't want to be on a date with him, then it wasn't. Besides, he's the worst date ever if he showed up that late. Even as friends, it's crazy! Glad to hear he paid though, the least he could do.:wink: Good to hear you're keeping up the swimming.

mandi- WOOHOOO!!!! 1.7 pounds is awesome!! Keep focused! You are doing great. I bet you'll be right back on track now. My brother in law says that polar is the best brand for heart rate monitors. He actually recommended the f6 which I think is what Carrie has. She sounds like it is working great too. I burned 4100 calories last week. I do an hour on the elliptical, but really if you go in and look, housework burns quite a bit and so does walking. It sounds too cold to walk there though. Sorry to hear about the days off. I am lucky to be salary, but I remember being hourly and having to miss work stunk. Walking at a very brisk pace burns for an hour burns around 500 calories. If you have a mall with one of those playplaces inside, they're usually pretty big and you can speed wlk around them while your daughter plays. Free workout. You may feel a little weird, but who cares! You'll be dropping weight in no time. Best bet, bring a banana or something with you, you'll be starvng after any good workout and they are great!
  • shannon128
    Options
    I'm 22. I'm only trying to lose between 5-10 pounds right now (I'm currently 124) but last year I lost about 15 pounds to get to my current weight.

I feel like it is sooo easy to gain a lot of weight really fast when you are in your twenties from college (freshman 15!), going out all the time, and starting your career and sitting at a desk all day. I agree that you should be in your prime when you are in your twenties!

I woke up one day and just recognized I was starting to go down that slippery slope of gaining a lot of weight and decided to make better lifestyle choices to be healthy and look good before it got out of control. I look at a lot of my old sorority sisters and they have all gained like 40 pounds or so since I met them and I have managed to be one of the few that was able to stay smaller because I caught myself early on. The weight I have lost has made an enormous difference. I was 138 and went down to 119... I jumped back up a few pounds because I fell off track for a little bit but it is starting to come off pretty fast now that I have started tracking my calories and working out again.

It is ridiculous how much happier working out makes me- I am much less stressed, more confident in myself and my body, i go shopping and everything seems to look good! IT IS SOOOOO WORTH IT!! Not to mention the discipline that comes with dieting seems to transfer over to other areas of my life and I start doing better in school and being more responsible in general.
  • heathie88
    Options
    I’m 21, 5’2” and 162 pounds… eeekkkk!

I am finally feeling comfortable with the person that I am (personality wise) and I want to love my body now. I have always had trouble with my weight, even in high school my lowest was 132 which is not small for how short I am. Coming to college I put on the freshman fifteen, and then just kept adding from there. I’ve been my current weight for about a year now and im FED UP with it!!

Im ready to make a change!! I want to be able to wear the clothes that I think are cute, and not just the first thing that I can find that fits me.

So im ready to make a change, because I feel like I let college slip me by… I don’t want to be unhappy with my appearance anymore
  • jb_sweet_99
    Options
    Man Kayt that sounds like soo much fun!! You've got me considering it you know that! You caught me when I was trying to decide if I was going to go to Florida to see my mom, or South Carolina to see my Dad (my mom goes for 6 months, my dad goes for 6 weeks, must be nice to be old and have that kind of moneY!)...then pops up Kayt with Puerto Rico (sp?) hummmmmmmmm lol!
    Oh and I wouldn't want that to be a date either! If that chicky asks again just say "what date" oh that, we just went to a movie, as friends, no biggy! Then it's out there and maybe she'll stop bugging you! I can't believe he was that late too, he's lucky you didn't tell him to stick his movie somewhere not nice, lol! You are allowed to be picky girl, you deserve sooo much better!! Sweet deal about the measurements going down, awesome girl! I'm sure the scale isn't going anywhere cause you're gaining muscle at the same time, you've really upped your game lately, it will all hit you at once! :wink: Don't feel bad, my waist and hips have barely gone down at all! I think I will FINALLY have a loss in that area when I measure this weekend, looks a tad smaller to me now. It seems everywhere else is first. My face and upper body (not in the boobs though, oh no, not in the place I could stand to lose in, lol!) are going first, now I think the rest is following, finally! Yoga, Pilates and a swim?? You rock! Wow.
    I've heard of those foam rollers too, but I am cheap, so I bought the rolling pin, lol! I may get a pool noodle for this when they come out again and just cut it in half or something. Less chance of overstretching that way!
    Mandi-Congrats on the loss! Feels great when it starts going down finally eh! Another snow day?? And you thought Canada was bad!! :wink: I think the kids here have only had one snow day all year so far, man you guys get a lot of snow! :bigsmile:
    Good thing you've got that treadmill so you can still workout!
    Carrie! Welcome back, congrats on going wireless, lol! I mostly use my laptop so no issues, unless it's being stupid like it likes to do a lot! I think I'm getting a netbook here shortly though, sweet! :bigsmile: And I'm glad I can help with the knees! I had to quit skating and gymnastics when I was 12 because that's when my knees started getting bad...guess that happens when you start skating as soon as you can walk! I hope It helps and that you'll be on top of your game! I push more than I should with the cardio part of Kickboxing, we do lunges and squats (ssshhh don't tell the Dr lol!) but I just don't go down very far and watch that my knee doesn't go over my toe when I'm lower, that can cause pain/damage too, so keep an eye out. Ok ok, I'll take more pics, lol..I'll do it Sat when I measure I suppose.
    jrbowers, that's great! I'm glad :bigsmile: Tae Bo is def. great for at home, you certainly don't want a punching bag in your living room do you?LOL! You sound like you are doing well, I'm glad to hear it! Congrats on the 5k, awesome! And my day did end better thanks, it stopped snowing by the time I got out of Kickboxing so it wasn't too slipery. Hopefully it won't be so grey tomorrow! I'm a call centre manager, so I have a lot of spare time on my hands at work when I'm monitoring calls and such, so I creep on here, lol, keeps me busy! :flowerforyou: Have fun at the play group, it will be good for you to get out of the house and socialize! Oh and btw, I have 2 browsers open right now :wink: Patti, sorry I was corrected by jr, it is your cousin's little one, not your nephew. I hope he is doing well and that you are too!
    Keri good for you, boot em off! You were doing it first, lol!
    Welcome Shannon and heathie88, you are now part of the BEST group on mfp! Good luck to you both! :bigsmile:
    Nite nite,
    Jenn
  • jb_sweet_99
    Options
    Morning everyone, good luck today!! :bigsmile:
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Hey Ladies... I caught up on all your posts today! I didn't log in over the weekend... so busy. Had a brithday Friday night, then Saturday I slept in until noon! It was glorious, I was just sooooo exhausted. my hubby took the puppy, and i just slept the day away. I always feel guilty when i do that, but my body must have needed it. Satruday night was that wedding I had been mentioning to you guys. It was really fun, and the dress looked awsome! I got tons of compliments, I was REALLY proud of myself. then Sunday we went into Seattle to see some friends and had lunch up there (i was so bad, I had the mac n cheese, it was amazing). Anyway, trying to get back on track yesterday and today. I still haven't had time to go to the grocery store, so lunch should be interesting.
    Oh, and my cousins baby is doing better. I know you moms will know what this is, but i guess he had a bowel movement in utero... and he stayed in there way too long and thats what caused all the problems. He got off the CPAP machine Monday, and my cousin was able to nurse him finally. She didn't even get to hold her baby for a few days, she was distraught... but they will prob be able to go home in two or three days. Thanks for all the prayers ladies, you really are all so sweet!
    Carrie-Wow, you are kicking butt w/ exercise! Good for you!!
    jenn- Over 4,000 calories in a week? Geez, that is amazing
    jrbowers-your pics look awesome! Way to go!!!!
    Keri-hahah way to kick to hubby off the machine!!
    Madijo- Good job on your loss!! Keep it up!
    Sorry I didn't write more, gotta get back to work!
  • jb_sweet_99
    Options
    Thanks Patti, and welcome back! :bigsmile: I'm glad to hear that you had a great weekend, and got tons of compliments, you deserve it! I'm also really really happy to hear that your little cousin is doing well and will get out of the hospital soon; it's amazing how much it can affect the baby when that happens, I'm sure your cousin had a very difficult time not being able to hold him. She must be soo relieved! :flowerforyou:
  • aminor
    aminor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I just wanted to say thank you for all of the encouragement and words of wisdom! I know that I am going to need that throughout this process!!

I have been doing VERY well in the exercising area, and I am SO proud of myself. Like someone else mentioned, I feel so much better now that I am exercising, it's crazy! I used to hear people say that all the time and I would think that they were crazy, I would think there is no possible way you can feel better, I'm already tired enough now, not to mention adding exercising and anything more physical into the mix...but here I am, being one of the "crazies" that I used to think this about! I find myself wanting to burn more calories and go farther on the treadmill every day, even if only a little...it's almost a competitiveness about it, like I SO want to beat what I did the day before!!! The whole time I am on that thing I think of how hot I am going to be eventually, haha!!!

Good luck to all of the rest of you ladies, and I hope to hear from you all soon!