Diet Soda Opinions?

Options

Replies

• sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just read everything. It's funny I came across this discussion because I picked up a case of capri sun waters, WATERS, for my daughters lunches and it has aspartame in it. I was so disgusted. So, we ended up with Apple & Eve juice and mini bottles of water. It's disgusting that this country allows it to stay on the market when so many countries have banned it.

I went to buy seltzer this weekend and had TROUBLE finding a brand that was all natural! My husband was like "You disappeared for 10 minutes I thought you were running to the next aisle for seltzer" I took so long because every bottle had a list of other chemicals in it. I just wanted all natural carbonated water and had to dig to find it.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sooo, I have started this kick on Diet Pepsi, that i really need to knock.
    However, So many people keep telling me that the diet soda can actually make me gain weight...

any advice???

I decided to kick my diet soda addiction because I wanted to really reduce the amount of unnatural products that I put in my body. After I stopped I had a headache every day for a week, so I figured something in there is giving me a withdrawal headache, so it's good that i'm getting it out of my system! I say if you are thinking of kicking it - do it now. I've only been off it for a little more than a week (today was my first no-headache morning) and I don't miss it. I do drink all-natural seltzer (no sodium, no aspertame. Ingredients should be "Carbonated water, natural flavors" nothing more) that's been getting me by just fine. I dont think diet soda makes you gain weight, I just think it's better to fuel our body with natural products.
  • Stephanie_dee
    Options
    Sorry I haven't read the thread so sorry if it's already been said!

Apparently it's the artificial sugar aspartame that can give you the munches. It's still a relatively new sugar substitute and there hasn't been a lot of research into it, now they are looking at the side effects of it. Apparently one is the hunger thing but they are also looking at a link to cancer :-/

Also the caffeine in that stuff is crazy, not good at all.

I used to live off diet coke, now I have got rid unless I really fancy one. I don't keep them in the house, I drink water or milk now. Don't get me wrong I will have one when I have a subway or something, but that's not very often and its a bit of a treat.

:-)
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Its Crap ...........

Drink Water...

I am sure you could get away with one a week .. but other than that cya
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For me the easiest way to kick the soda...is to add lemon juice from a lemon to my water. Or cut lemon wedges and put in a glass of water.
  • sebrantley25
    Options
    Feeling a bit lazy and I haven't read all the replies, so mine may be a repeat of another.

Imagine your stomach as a balloon. When soda is agitated what happens? It expands. Imagine now, what soda will do inside your stomach. Try it out by stretching a balloon over the mouth of a half empty bottle of soda. Give it a shake and watch the balloon fill up.

Now what happens when you have all that space in your now gas filled stomach? Your brain thinks you need to eat more to fill it up. So you eat until the food displaces the gases from the soda and blammo, you feel over-full. Now imagine that with diet soda. You have a non-nutritive substance in your stomach taking up space. Your body thinks you need to add more "real" foods to make up for the fake stuff you just put in.

Sodas also contain citric acid. How does your body fight excess acids in the stomach? By leeching calcium from your blood stream. Now you are de-calcifying your body. You'll have to drink 2-3 8oz. glasses of milk to make up for the damage done by one 12 oz. can of soda.

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I would say get rid of it if you can. It's also bad for your bones.

^^^ Unsubstantiated myth. The closest Doctors can say is that it may be linked to osteoperosis simply because people drink soda instead of milk.

True dat.

The only bad effect I have from diet soda is that it perpetuates my caffeine addiction.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit lazy and I haven't read all the replies, so mine may be a repeat of another.

Imagine your stomach as a balloon. When soda is agitated what happens? It expands. Imagine now, what soda will do inside your stomach. Try it out by stretching a balloon over the mouth of a half empty bottle of soda. Give it a shake and watch the balloon fill up.

Now what happens when you have all that space in your now gas filled stomach? Your brain thinks you need to eat more to fill it up. So you eat until the food displaces the gases from the soda and blammo, you feel over-full. Now imagine that with diet soda. You have a non-nutritive substance in your stomach taking up space. Your body thinks you need to add more "real" foods to make up for the fake stuff you just put in.

Sodas also contain citric acid. How does your body fight excess acids in the stomach? By leeching calcium from your blood stream. Now you are de-calcifying your body. You'll have to drink 2-3 8oz. glasses of milk to make up for the damage done by one 12 oz. can of soda.

Interesting theories, without any basis in fact.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only bad effect I have from diet soda is the neighborhood weirdos who fish my cans out of the recycling bin. :grumble:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

Now what happens when you have all that space in your now gas filled stomach? Your brain thinks you need to eat more to fill it up. So you eat until the food displaces the gases from the soda and blammo, you feel over-full. Now imagine that with diet soda.

That does sound like one of the dumber things I've heard. I actually find soda filling. Who needs a meal if you have a pop?
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would strong advice and reccomend everyone who drinks diet coke, diet pepsi etc to stop it ASAP as it contains Aspartame that harms your body significantly in so many ways. Do some research online and see for yourself. :flowerforyou:
    its even poisen for rats, so why would you want it in your body :florwerforyou:
  • beckajw
    Options
    Not only does phosphoric acid do damage to the bones, it causes kidney problems and the only reason they put it in regular and diet soda is to keep us from vomiting when drinking it. Phosphoric acid lines the stomach and keeps us from vomiting the overly sugary or artificially sweetened carbonated drink.

Hmmm, seriously? You've never vommitted soda?
  • beckajw
    Options
    I would strong advice and reccomend everyone who drinks diet coke, diet pepsi etc to stop it ASAP as it contains Aspartame that harms your body significantly in so many ways. Do some research online and see for yourself. :flowerforyou:

I'm not a rat.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I get concerned by the fact that the delivery people KNOW that if their diet product sits in the sun for more than a certain time they have to return it to the company as it is not safe...I WAS told this by a distributor himself!

Wouldn't that apply to MOST food products?

And I'd think the biggest issue with it sitting in the sun for too long is the cans/bottles exploding.

Actually, there is some truth about heat exposure to diet soda. Excess heat and light causes the ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and the benzoate preservatives in soda to form benzene, a carcinogen that produces leukemia and other blood diseases. However, lots of food contain ascorbic acid / vitamin C and it is a needed nutrient and antiviral. Additionally, a can of diet soda can contain aspartic acid which is broken down by digestion into methanol which then is converted into formaldehyde. Formaldehyde was listed last year as a known carcinogen by the National Toxicological Program. Please note though that you cannot completely avoid exposure to benzene and formaldehyde by skipping the soda - you get benzene exposure when you gas up at the filling station and formaldehyde is found in wood products, carpeting, disinfectants, and also is a naturally occurring substance. In fact, aspartic acid is derived from asparagus (one of my favorite vegetables). Despite all this, I thoroughly enjoy the occasional diet soda as a treat. (Edited because I can't spell).
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    However, So many people keep telling me that the diet soda can actually make me gain weight...

any advice???

My opinion:

Drink diet coke cherry instead, taste way better.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options

any advice???

My opinion:

I'm going to have to disagree with you, somewhat. Diet Pepsi, does indeed suck. Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi trumps Cherry Diet Coke. Real Cherry Coke trumps all . . . . :)
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I'm not a rat.

I didnt say you are?? I am just warning you of the dangers :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

I'm not a rat.
    I didnt say you are?? I am just warning you of the dangers :)
    Articles of scare mongering aren't dangers. Where are the bodies? How many people are claiming that diet soda is what caused their cancer?
    Do REAL research from PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES. Not from Mercola or any other anti chemical company. That's like someone saying "it's true because the bible says so."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

any advice???

My opinion:

haha, love it!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Not only does phosphoric acid do damage to the bones, it causes kidney problems and the only reason they put it in regular and diet soda is to keep us from vomiting when drinking it. Phosphoric acid lines the stomach and keeps us from vomiting the overly sugary or artificially sweetened carbonated drink.

This is for sure one of the most eyebrow-raising posts I've ever read on any board ever!

What keeps us from vomiting other overly sugary or artificially sweetened products?