Diet Soda Opinions?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Diet IBC root beer is the best.

There are two sides to this debate, both equally vehement in their viewpoints. I am OK with diet soda. It is, in the end, a decision you will have to make for yourself, based on your own reactions and research. Good luck.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The naysayers are right. My MD explained how any soda kept me from losing weight - he threw in all caffeine to boot - and after I gave it all up, the weight loss returned. Word.

Had the SAME result. Hit a plateau, talked to my primary, ditched the diet soda habit and dropped seven pounds. Word :)
  • DrainB
    Options
    So what about all-natural soda like Blue Sky made with stevia instead of artificial sweeteners? ?That seems like it would be a much better alternative, but it tastes quite different than Coke or Pepsi. I like the cherry vanilla myself. One draw back is no caffeine.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaa waterrr!!!
  • FCHW
    FCHW Posts: 35
    Options
    DRINK WATER. I wouldn't take the risk of it hurting your progress at all. I never drink soda anymore. Only water and sometimes juice. diet soda is pretty unnecessary. Has no nutrients either soooo yeah
  • Army_Love89
    Options
    I've kicked soda a while back & don't miss it at all but know lots of people who love diet soda & lose weight on it. Me personally I just don't like the after taste so I just avoid all soda & stick to my tea & water. :)
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wake up every day and have two 8oz cups of coffee with minimal sugar and non-dairy creamer.
    I drink four 16oz bottles of water throughout the day.
    At night, I have 1, maybe 2, 12oz cans of diet soda (with or without caffeine) with and after my dinner.

Diet soda doesn't seem to be hurting my weight loss, it doesn't make me more hungry or have a sweet tooth. It doesn't cause me headaches or constipation. I have no adverse reactions to diet soda.

I'll believe it causes brain cancer when they pull a tumor out of someone's head, cut it open and diet soda spews out... And even then, I want to know that person doesn't have a trace of cancer running on either side of their family.
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    Many say its very bad for you and can cause many health problems. It will shock you if you research the effects it has on your brain, Kidney, nervous system, and is thought to cause several malignancies. Then again, who do we trust or believe, every study says one thing and then there is another one that says its not true so who knows. All I know is when I dont drink it for a long time, I do feel a lot better.
  • halfacanuck
    Options

The only one of these sites with scientific credibility is the NIH. Unfortunately, that link is to a letter to the editor describing research that might have been done but wasn't published in a scientific journal, and cites a single published study of two women as supporting evidence. Two people does not constitute a good sample!
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't react well to the artificial sweeteners in diet soda, so I've mostly given it up. Every once in a while, I'll get a craving for a diet vanilla coke with vodka, but I have maybe 1-2 sodas a month.

I also read that diet soda doesn't help with sweet cravings because our bodies don't recognize the artificial sweeteners as sugar... or anything for that matter.

Maybe it's a psychosomatic response, but once I stopped drinking soda and diet soda, my cravings for sweet foods started to get much easier to manage. Now, cottage cheese with fruit satisfies my sweet/fatty cravings.
  • myscheer
    Options
    I 100% agree with some members - My sister drinks diet pepsi and lost 12kgs for her wedding and I lost 20Kgs in 6 months and I drink a can of diet coke with every night time meal. It hasnt effected me, I actually found when I didnt drink it that I would sometimes get a migraine, might mean im addicted haha but in the weight loss topic - nope i think its fine to drink diet sodas and still lose weight.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The naysayers are right. My MD explained how any soda kept me from losing weight - he threw in all caffeine to boot - and after I gave it all up, the weight loss returned. Word.

Had the SAME result. Hit a plateau, talked to my primary, ditched the diet soda habit and dropped seven pounds. Word :)

PMSL serious? I've lost 56lbs in 6 months & all the while I've enjoyed my Coke zero. Funny how I'm still losing weight then. Only reason I ever plateaued was cause I needed to up my cals & change my workout. Not one thing to do with diet soda.

BTW caffiene can actually HELP you lose weight if taken right....that's why I take guarana pills that have it in it. a whopping 70mg of it at once.

Some people are FOS
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    yes diet soda can cause you to gain weight. the artificial sweeteners cause your blood sugar to rise like real sugar without the calories and, hence causing it to plummet and screwing with your metabolism. Also, artificial sweeteners cause you to hold onto your body fat.
    Ummmmm....no.

A quote from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/AN00348 (in response to a diabetic asking if she could safely use artificial sweeteners):

"Artificial sweeteners don't affect your blood sugar level. In fact, most artificial sweeteners are considered "free foods" because they don't count as a carbohydrate, a fat or any other diabetes exchange."

The above was written by Dr. Maria Collazo-Clavell, M.D., who is an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic. She is board-certified in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism. I'd say she may possibly know a thing or two about the subject.
    ...And think about the people who drink diet soda. most of them are very overweight....
    "Correlation" does not equal "causation". Let's take another example and see how that line of reasoning works...Look at the people who play basketball. Most of them are very tall. Therefore, does playing basketball make you very tall?

Anecdotally to all the "OMGZZZZ, diet sodaz is poizonz!!11!!!" hysteria - I've drank diet soda for somewhere around 25-30 years. I have no holes in my brain, I'm healthy as an ox and haven't noticed my head rotting off or anything. As far as saying that it stops/prevents weight loss (and therefore "magically" defies the laws of thermodynamics) - I've averaged a loss of 1.4 pounds per week for the last 27 weeks, still occasionally drinking diet soda (a few a week)....hasn't seemed to have had much effect upon my weight loss.

brb finishing off my Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper....*ahhhhhhhhh*
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gullee
    Options
    I used to snack a lot. Around a year ago, I partially replaced snacks with diet soda to help lose weight. It has served its purpose. I intend to cut diet soda soon though as I think I have more self-control now.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

PMSL serious? I've lost 56lbs in 6 months & all the while I've enjoyed my Coke zero. Funny how I'm still losing weight then. Only reason I ever plateaued was cause I needed to up my cals & change my workout. Not one thing to do with diet soda.

BTW caffiene can actually HELP you lose weight if taken right....that's why I take guarana pills that have it in it. a whopping 70mg of it at once.

Some people are FOS

Congrats you can keep diet soda in your diet. I changed my workout and up my cals, and when that didn't work, talked to my primary who suggested I try ditching the two/three diet cokes I was drinking daily and try something like green tea. I did, it worked. Simmer down.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Some people are FOS

Yes, caffeine has been proven to help, not hinder weight loss. As far as diet soda goes. It's all in ones head, but if it works for someone to cut it out, they should.

I bought into the "it's soda causing my stall" at one point as well. I stopped drinking soda and the stall continued. It was just a plateau, plain and simple. I added soda back in, started losing weight again. But, to each their own. If it mentally helps someone to believe that soda is causing their problems, they should cut it out of their diet.