Morbidly Obese doctors

Options
Does anyone have one? My doc is about 60 or so pounds overweight. Am I the only one that finds this disturbing?

Replies

• Julescg26
    Julescg26 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Not really, they have a generally very sedentary job sat at a desk most of the day, probably bad eating habits cause of their schedule (if my friend is anything to go by!)

Last time I went to my doctor I had the usual - "You need to lose weight" chat, he looked very embarrased and admitted that he also needed to lose weight - i would have challenged him to a weight loss competition if he hadn't have been a locum!!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My doctor is young and in very good shape, he is kinda hot.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My doctor could probably stand to gain a few pounds, honestly. She looks good though, healthy!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I had one doctor who was twice my size (meaning, probably in excess of 400 lbs). He was my ophthalmologist starting from 2001. I left him after he misdiagnosed me with glaucoma - I'd gotten a second AND third opinion proving him wrong. Idiot. :noway:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my pediatrician was about 100 lbs overweight. Didnt work real well telling a kid to lose weight when she was so heavy herself. Now my doctors are all pretty fit.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Mine is. I'd say about 100-125 lbs. overweight. Does it bother me? Not really. He's given sound advice and I listened to most of it.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Fat does not mean stupid or incompetent. If we buy into this stereotype we only injure ourselves. Stupidity and incompetence comes in every size.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I do think that regardless of their lifestyle, doctors need to hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to health. When my daughter was in the hospital it always made me nuts to look out the window and see the number of doctors and nurses standing just off the property to smoke.

"Do as I say, not as I do" should not apply.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    One of my professors in residency was a former college football player and only a little chunky. He was very blunt (in a good and funny way) about everything in general, and would often go in to talk to postop patients and tell them the same thing: 'You and I have the same basic problem, we're both TOO FAT!" He was so good-natured about it that I never saw a single one get mad! And I think they both got the point. But he was not morbidly obese. I have worked with a number though- doctors have to struggle with weight issues too!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but I work in healthcare so I've known several. They were all good doctors. It is disturbing because you know that they know what being obese can do to their health. But when you think about it, so does just about every other obese person.
  • Joanne_nc84
    Options
    Ive had a couple of nutritionist telling me that I needed to lose some weight when they were bigger than me! I hate that crap though, one of my pet peeves!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    They're human and have their own struggles too, including with their weight. Just because a person knows better doesn't necessarily mean that they do better. I'd be more leery of a doctor on a ridiculous fad diet than an overweight one.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    True ... I deal sometimes with docs who subscribe to the current CR (caloric restriction) fad. They look grey and cadaverous, and think they're healthy as horses. Scary.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My doctor has a VERY fat nurse. At the time of my yearly physical in January, I was obese, 238 pounds, and she's so morbidly obese she made me look svelte. I wonder how she felt, hearing the doctor tell me I must lose weight...I do find it odd that any doctor or nurse would be obese, but they are human after all and make mistakes in life like everyone else.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do think that regardless of their lifestyle, doctors need to hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to health. When my daughter was in the hospital it always made me nuts to look out the window and see the number of doctors and nurses standing just off the property to smoke.

Why shouldn't it apply? If a doctor knows how to make someone healthy or healthier, are you suggesting that they shouldn't do it because they don't keep themselves healthy?
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Doctors are humans just like the rest of us. They are not above the same problems that we all have, they are just more educated about them. And why would we only expect physicians to be exemplary role models? Frankly I'm more concerned about the condition of the nurses that I see on a daily basis than I am the physicians. But again, no matter what our profession is, we're all human. We're not going to be perfect and we shouldn't be expected to be.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It isn't the role of ANY doctor to tell you how to live your life.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is kind of like saying cops never get speeding tickets, construction workers have the best homes, lawyers never get sued, all dentists have perfect teeth and a watchmaker never has a broken watch.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It is kind of like saying cops never get speeding tickets, construction workers have the best homes, lawyers never get sued, all dentists have perfect teeth and a watchmaker never has a broken watch.

QFT

Besides, how do you know why they are overweight? Maybe they have a medical issue that makes keeping a healthy weight difficult. And it is only exacerbated by the tough schedule doctors keep and the lack of healthy meal options available at their place of work (seriously, hospital cafeterias have the unhealthiest meals).
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Not really, they have a generally very sedentary job sat at a desk most of the day, probably bad eating habits cause of their schedule

umm. NO.

they atleast walk around an office from patient to patient and stand in a room.
    I sit on my *kitten* for 8+ hours a day infront of a PC. no real walking around, and if I get up its to another meeting where I sit down.

Thats not really a decent excuse. Eat less or move more.