Morbidly Obese doctors

Options

Replies

• lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I do think that regardless of their lifestyle, doctors need to hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to health. When my daughter was in the hospital it always made me nuts to look out the window and see the number of doctors and nurses standing just off the property to smoke.

"Do as I say, not as I do" should not apply.

This. If you work in health care, you should be healthy.

I work in healthcare..... I'm an Insurance biller.... does that mean I don't have physical and emotional issues? Really?
    Let's climb slowly down off of that horse... it's just a little too high!:laugh:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This. If you work in health care, you should be healthy.

I'm pretty sure that would go against equal opportunities legislation. People who have health problems can still work in health care, provided it doesn't impinge upon their ability to do their job competently. A lot of people have health problems which they are able to manage.

When I worked in health care, of all my colleagues, there was only one who had never had any health problems in her entire life, and she had absolutely no empathy or understanding when anyone was ill or in pain. Then she hurt her knee, and was in a lot of pain herself, and she admitted she'd always been impatient of other people saying they were in pain because she hadn't realised how awful it was.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Doctors and nurses have struggles just like the rest of us, and who knows what their stories are. I have a good friend who is very overweight and is an AMAZING nurse- the most caring nurse you could ever hope for. She has been overweight her whole life. Of course she wants to lose the weight, and was encouraged to do so while in nursing school, but she has the same struggles we do. Being knowledgeable about health doesn't make anyone immune to health problems and choosing a profession in health doesn't mean you can switch a magical switch that makes being healthy suddenly easy. If that were the case, no person on earth would be overweight or smoke- after all, we all know better, right? She had every intention to lose weight while in nursing school but as we all know losing weight is HARD and it's a battle of the mind as well as the body. I hope no one would think she should have chosen a different profession just because of her size.

Besides, health is more than size. Even though she weighs a lot more than I do, in some ways she is more healthy- she has never smoked cigarettes, drinks rarely, and exercises every day. I WISH I could be more like her in every way, other than dietary choices (and there are plenty of times I make bad choices too).
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    How many people here find obese people to make valid points about losing weight? How many people here followed advice given to them by someone who is obese?

Just because they're obese doesn't mean they're wrong. Just means they aren't smart enough to follow their own advice.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Found a great vet for my Westie, but god he should really lose about 50 pounds, min. Hasn't seemed to impact his care so far, but I'm gonna follow this closely.

--P
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    How many people here find obese people to make valid points about losing weight? How many people here followed advice given to them by someone who is obese?

Just because they're obese doesn't mean they're wrong. Just means they aren't smart enough to follow their own advice.

or they have poor advice/ideas in the first place.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    in my experience... people who are or have been heavy know a lot more about eating right and weight loss than people who have always been naturally thin. It's just that sometimes we struggle to apply those things. It doesn't mean we don't know how, it doesn't mean we don't care, it just means that right now, there are struggles.

People have all kinds of bad habits, we just can't always see them. Weight issues happen to be a flaw/weakness that is obvious to everyone. If you want to avoid a doctor because they are overweight, you probably want to interview them to make sure they don't drink too much in the evenings, don't sneak a cigarette at lunch, or spend most of their free time watching TV and vegging on the couch.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I draw lines. I will not see a fat doctor, I don't care if the saying is, those who can't, teach. I want someone who leads the way. I work in I.T. and have done so through 1 hospital and two Health Centers. The Doctors and nurses at were were so fat and so lazy they would wait for the worlds slowest elevator to go down ONE flight of stairs to the cafateria...DOWN...ONE FLIGHT. That is complete crap. While working there I dropped from 315 to 260, people would grab me and ask how I did it, I replied the gym every morning and eating better. They would get upset and many replied that they thought I was using a 'magic pill'. Yes, people in the health field still looking for a magic pill because apparently diet and exercise is too much work. It is seriously scary how lazy the medical field is
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Fat does not mean stupid or incompetent. If we buy into this stereotype we only injure ourselves. Stupidity and incompetence comes in every size.

This.

Like many people in other professions, doctors have a lot to deal with - they may have trouble juggling everything in their lives - and like many of us, some probably sacrifice their own well being first. Grabbing food on the go, cutting out workouts, etc. Just because a doctor hasn't done the best job balancing his or her own life (work vs. home vs. personal health) doesn't mean they aren't knowledgeable enough to help me with my own medical needs.

My only concern is that I would want my doctor (regardless of his or her own weight) to be honest with me about my weight and any health issues that could be related to it. I've heard that sometimes doctors who are overweight themselves are less likely to bring up weigh problems with their patients.
  • ShanniLee
    Options
    It is kind of like saying cops never get speeding tickets, construction workers have the best homes, lawyers never get sued, all dentists have perfect teeth and a watchmaker never has a broken watch.

Genius!!!!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Don't we generally go to the doctor to get their help and opinion/ advice?
    I don't go there to judge them for their lifestyle, their size does not make their medical degree any less valid.

but since a lot of their requests are personal opinion.. if they don't know how to live a healthy lifestyle, its hard for them to really be helpful in perusing one.

Then again, im not there for their advice... Im normally only there to tell them run this test and give me the numbers, or give me an antibiotic.
    I look at it a lot like a car mechanic. While there are great mechanics out there, none of them are going to put the same amount of time effort and commitment into my car as I will.. they cant get it as good because they cant commit that much time to one car. I might not know anything about your car, but I know mine inside and out..... same thing goes for myself.

UMMM...did you go to medical school? How do you know you need an antibiotic or whatever? What qualifies you to make that determination? You may certainly REQUEST something specific, but your provider is going to determine if that is indeed indicated based on your condition, their training, and current research.

And just so you know, it IS a provider's job to give advice, whether it's to prevent illness/injury in the first place (called "primary prevention") or to treat an existing condition ("secondary prevention").

And on the original topic--as someone who works in health care, I feel very hippocritical if I recommend healthy habits and then turn around and eat a brownie and drink a soda and not exercise. I may not be perfect, but at least I'm trying, and I have a little more empathy for patients who truly struggle.

well.. im im there for an antibotic... its because I have an infection. lol. it was just an example.

and yes. I was a doctor....

but it turns out im a total quack.
    13237123_6419.jpg

I totally agreed with your original post. But that reply to it got me fuming... As if we don't know our own bodies best and shouldn't take our health in our own hands as long as we also strive to be well-informed (as you and I likely are). Instead let's blindly trust everything to someone else, who does the best they can within a VERY flawed system.... For instance, I do not talk to doctors about nutrition; many have very little education in nutrition (my doctors have told me that themselves) or disease PREVENTION. Doctors currently learn about treating illness, usually with pharmaceuticals.

For instance, my child gets ear infections (initially caused by receiving an antibiotic for a VIRAL infection). I have used tamanu nut oil the last two infections, and the infection was GONE, in just hours each time. So, should I really be running off to the doctor for antibiotics for her ear infections?

(I'm glad you saw a way to turn that comment around with humour; good on you!)

I don't care what shape my doctor is, skinny, fat, whatever. It's their business. I don't expect nutritional, health or prevention advice from them anymore either; that's not what they are trained for. Even if they try to provide it, I do what's best for me and my body (based on personal experience, and thousands of hours of studying health/nutrition related research papers, history, and anthropology).
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Ive had a couple of nutritionist telling me that I needed to lose some weight when they were bigger than me! I hate that crap though, one of my pet peeves!

WOW how is that person a nutritionist? No offense to you but nutrtionists and fitness trainers alike should have bodies that you want to strive to achieve. If they can't get results on themselves how can you expect their methods to be permanent and successful.
    in regards to doctors, they are trained to prescribe medicine, and determine an illness, their bodies are a result of neglect (sometimes). So although I wouldn't feel comfortable having an obese doctor, I trust that they are trained to determine what is wrong with me in terms of disease and diagnosis.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, you most certainly are not, :o). Going to see a doctor who tells you that you need to lose weight when they are like that themselves or worse seems kind of hypocritical if you ask me! They should be setting a good example!

Parents also should set a good example, but an obese parent is not necessarily a bad parent.
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have one? My doc is about 60 or so pounds overweight. Am I the only one that finds this disturbing?

I think it's kinda funny, and I'm totally used to it since I've been big all my life and have often had doctors with weight problems. I always thought to myself, "if you have all the answers, why do you look the way you do?" Not trying to be mean or anything. I guess it was easy to think that way though, since they all have blamed every last one of my problems on my weight.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Last doctor I went to was a urologist and I think his finger was too big.

Bwahahaha poor guy!!!! Maybe that wasn't his finger.... did you think of that?
  • Trinity1982
    Options
    My MiL had a doc (when she was around the same age i am now) that was so morbidly obese. She was told one day that in order to get rid of her diabeties she'd have to lose a lot weight. Meanwhile the doc had a bar of chocolate in his hand eating it during the consultation. She found a new doc and never went back.
  • kellya009
    kellya009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My doctor is probably 75-100 lbs overweight. But he's a great doctor. He is so clear with me and doesn't treat me like an idiot.

I just wish he'd stop prescribing me expensive meds because I have no coverage!!L
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We have a nurse practitioner that goes to our members homes and does wellness visits. She is probably around 300lbs. So big that I have to duck into a cubicle when she passes through because there isn't enough space in the hallway for both of us. I feel embarrassed for my company (insurance) that we are pushing to have our members healthy and here this lady shows up.
  • 21June
    21June Posts: 99
    Options
    No, you most certainly are not, :o). Going to see a doctor who tells you that you need to lose weight when they are like that themselves or worse seems kind of hypocritical if you ask me! They should be setting a good example!

Parents also should set a good example, but an obese parent is not necessarily a bad parent.
    Fortunately, now we do thanks! :o)
  • shlottelac
    shlottelac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fat does not mean stupid or incompetent. If we buy into this stereotype we only injure ourselves. Stupidity and incompetence comes in every size.
    I totaly agree!