Morbidly Obese doctors

Options

Replies

• Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My doctor was pregnant when I first met her. I had no Idea until a few months later when I tried to book an appointment and they said she was on mat leave. I was thinking THATS why she looked overweight... but years later she still looks the same. It makes me not want to talk about any weight issues with them...
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If it really bothers you find another doctor.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, doctors and nurses are human just like the rest of us. We all know what helps people lose weight and stay fit and healthy, but we still have to put it into practice. Doctors and nurses have the same stresses we have, demanding jobs, families, stress and need to find the motivation and time to put in exercise and making sure we have a healthy diet. Those that came here overweight and wanting to lose weight used the same excuses those same overweight doctors and nurses probably use use. "This take out meal is easier". "This ice cream tastes so good". "I'm too tired/don't have time to excercise", ect. Why are they supposed to be immune and above those same thoughts and emotions? A medical degree doesn't elevate them beyond human emotion.

I judge a good doctor by one who spends time with their patients, listens to all of their concerns and genuinely tries to find the solution without just throwing a prescription at you and rushing you out the door. A doctor that treats me like a human being and not just the next number on the list. I don't care if that doctor is fat, skinny or in shape. A doctor that listens is far more important than their fitness level. I'll take an overweight doctor who understands the struggle over a skinny doctor who doesn't know or understand and does nothing but criticize (been in both shoes).
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Last doctor I went to was a urologist and I think his finger was too big.

Bwahahaha poor guy!!!! Maybe that wasn't his finger.... did you think of that?

It was definitely his finger!! Nothing else could bend like that!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My MiL had a doc (when she was around the same age i am now) that was so morbidly obese. She was told one day that in order to get rid of her diabeties she'd have to lose a lot weight. Meanwhile the doc had a bar of chocolate in his hand eating it during the consultation. She found a new doc and never went back.

But his advice was correct. Did she leave because he didn't follow his own advice, or because she didn't want to follow his advice?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if I repeat a lot of what's been said. Doctors are human. Just because you have knowledge about health and fitness doesn't mean you necessarily put it into practice. Doctors have "issues" just like the rest of us. My weight loss surgeon (I had lap band surgery almost 3 months ago) is addicted to soda. His wife convinced him to switch to diet soda and he lost 80 lbs! Now he's trying to quit diet soda.

Also, my husband is a doctor. He's fit (active duty Army), but he doesn't necessarily have the best eating habits. Just like a regular old human, he knows what he SHOULD do, but, like for everyone else, it's easier said than done. I'm afraid that when he retires he's going to become the Pillsbury Dough Boy. LOL

So to answer, the question, no, it doesn't bother me when my doc is overweight.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    How many people here find obese people to make valid points about losing weight? How many people here followed advice given to them by someone who is obese?

Just because they're obese doesn't mean they're wrong. Just means they aren't smart enough to follow their own advice.

Just wanted to add that I personally know a lot about nutrition and fitness just through years of struggling with my weight and trying to get it off. I'm still obese (for another 29 lbs anyway), but I've lost 52 lbs in a healthy and sustainable way. My point is if you met me today and didn't know my past, you'd think I wasn't "smart enough to follow my own advice."
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    My MiL had a doc (when she was around the same age i am now) that was so morbidly obese. She was told one day that in order to get rid of her diabeties she'd have to lose a lot weight. Meanwhile the doc had a bar of chocolate in his hand eating it during the consultation. She found a new doc and never went back.

But his advice was correct. Did she leave because he didn't follow his own advice, or because she didn't want to follow his advice?

BASIC advice may be correct.. like how do you lose weight? consume less calories then you use.

but when it comes to useful living advice, like 'Im not losing weight, where do you think my hidden calories are?' or 'how can i adapt to healthy X easier?' anything of that nature, they wouldnt know. excercise is another example.
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I became friends with the nurse at my doctor's office. She was very large. One day she told me that she had been put on antidepressants when she was younger. She couldn't afford them, so she would cut them in half. Turns out that screwing around with the doseage with that type of medication can cause a serious weight gain. She wasn't a nurse then, and the doctor hadn't told her about that. She gained 70 lbs in less than a year. I moved shortly after that conversation. Don't know if she ever got back in shape. But like others have said, you never know what reason someone might have for being overweight.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is so shallow!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Someone I was close with in high school is now a nurse. She is also about 5'4" and weighs at least 350 pounds. I personally don't understand how a nurse could do her job effectively when they are that obese. She can't reach around the front of her fat if she had to lean on something to reach to the patient, or how does she walk around all day helping patients? Better yet, how does she run to an emergency? She is also an EMT- how does she hoist herself into the back of an ambulance?! I mean, how does she get down onto the ground to help a patient who has fallen?

I'm not trying to be an *kitten*, but these would be all the things that ran through my mind if a morbidly obese nurse or EMT came into my hospital room or home to help me.
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The size of the doctors has nothing to do with how they do their job. You have no idea what situation they're in, medical conditions etc which means they find it more difficult to lose weight. It is hypocritical when they say that you need to lose weight but thats their job. It's probably incredibly embarrassing for them to say it when they are a similar size.

My doctor is overweight but it makes no difference to my opinion of him or the fact he's prescribed me the right medication for my depression and anxiety to keep it under control.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

BASIC advice may be correct.. like how do you lose weight? consume less calories then you use.

but when it comes to useful living advice, like 'Im not losing weight, where do you think my hidden calories are?' or 'how can i adapt to healthy X easier?' anything of that nature, they wouldnt know. excercise is another example.

Why do you assume they wouldn't know? Because all fat people don't know how to lose weight? Or because all doctors don't know? I've worked with many overweight or obese doctors over the year that knew perfectly well how to lose weight.
  • shimila1101
    Options
    The way I see it, doctors and nurses are human just like the rest of us. We all know what helps people lose weight and stay fit and healthy, but we still have to put it into practice. Doctors and nurses have the same stresses we have, demanding jobs, families, stress and need to find the motivation and time to put in exercise and making sure we have a healthy diet. Those that came here overweight and wanting to lose weight used the same excuses those same overweight doctors and nurses probably use use. "This take out meal is easier". "This ice cream tastes so good". "I'm too tired/don't have time to excercise", ect. Why are they supposed to be immune and above those same thoughts and emotions? A medical degree doesn't elevate them beyond human emotion.

I judge a good doctor by one who spends time with their patients, listens to all of their concerns and genuinely tries to find the solution without just throwing a prescription at you and rushing you out the door. A doctor that treats me like a human being and not just the next number on the list. I don't care if that doctor is fat, skinny or in shape. A doctor that listens is far more important than their fitness level. I'll take an overweight doctor who understands the struggle over a skinny doctor who doesn't know or understand and does nothing but criticize (been in both shoes).

Exactly!! My fiance is a 3rd year ER resident. Sure, he could stand to lose 30 lbs but it doesn't make him any less of a doctor. He has regulars in the ER that actually request him because of his compassion and care, not because of his level of fitness/health.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how people struggling with their weight can be so judgmental of other over weight people.
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how people struggling with their weight can be so judgmental of other over weight people.

^^ THIS!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist looks like he's carrying twins and about to pop. He says I'm healthier than he is and wanted to know how I"m loosing the weight. I told him WW with MFP and exercise. Walk walk walk Pretty bad when your cardiologist looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My doctor is a perfect weight (her vice is drinking too much coffee...which she laughs about when she's telling me to cut back). However, I did have a personal trainer a long time ago, who was overweight...not very inspirational.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I honestly. Think I'd see a doctor who was morbidly obese. I could handle a little overweight- but not morbidly obese. That is a serious conflict in my book- they obviously aren't interested in their own health, why would they truly be invested in mine. I'm not saying they shouldn't practice medicine, I just prefer not to go to them. If I knew my doctor smoked I would also find another doctor. In my eyes, a doctor should be utilizing the knowledge they have to live the best possible life. If they ignore all of that information and live an unhealthy lifestyle, what are they ignoring about my health?

:drinker:

This paramedic agrees..
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    They're human and have their own struggles too, including with their weight. Just because a person knows better doesn't necessarily mean that they do better. I'd be more leery of a doctor on a ridiculous fad diet than an overweight one.

This^^^.
    As we all know, it can be very hard to start and continue a lifestyle change. I'm sure many of them wake up with the same issues we do: unhappy with the way they look and feel; tired; sluggish; wanting a quick fix but knowing better because there are none; and just feeling like you don't have the time or energy to commit because of family/work obligations. Doctors can be overweight the same way they can be diagnosed with cancer, diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease. The good thing is they can lose the weight just like we can.