Morbidly Obese doctors

Options

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    They're human and have their own struggles too, including with their weight. Just because a person knows better doesn't necessarily mean that they do better. I'd be more leery of a doctor on a ridiculous fad diet than an overweight one.

I completely agree - I'd be really concerned about a doctor that encouraged patients to try some ridiculous fad diet. I'd expect that a doctor who struggles with weight can better relate to patients who struggle with weight too though.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    How do you know they aren't trying to lose weight? You'd probably find me disgusting too if you saw me in scrubs, but I've lost 31 pounds and plan to lose a lot more. You never know what's going on behind the scenes.

My doctor is AMAZING, and even though he's still overweight, he's lost over 100 pounds. If one of you judgmental types saw him today, though, you'd snub him, even though he's one of the nicest, most knowledgeable, most caring doctors I've ever had. He gets it. He understands my struggle. I would recommend him to anybody, no matter what their medical issue, because he's just that good.

I do not care about a person's looks. I care about their personality and intelligence. I've had skinny doctors misdiagnose me for years, always brushing me off as just another fat chick. It took THIS doctor to run blood work because he knew something was wrong, and it was. He's correcting all of those skinny doctor's errors and helping me lose weight.

Stop judging a book by its cover. I find it unbelievable that people on a weight loss and fitness site can be so judgmental and presumptuous, assuming everyone who is over 200 pounds is just lazy and stupid. You'd think people on here would be a bit more understanding.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My doctor is a perfect weight (her vice is drinking too much coffee...which she laughs about when she's telling me to cut back). However, I did have a personal trainer a long time ago, who was overweight...not very inspirational.

What is "too much coffee"? The more research they do on coffee, the more health benefits they find. I wish I liked coffee.
  • roguestates
    Options
    Fat does not mean stupid or incompetent. If we buy into this stereotype we only injure ourselves. Stupidity and incompetence comes in every size.

Preaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My first doctor (family doctor) was a great human being and an amazing doctor. He was a big man, very tall and, while not morbidly obese, he was definitely overweight. He was the best. When he retired and then died of old age, all his patients were really sad that he wasn't there any more, because of his skills as a doctor, but also because he was a great person. Very humane and he did care a lot about his patients.
    For this reason, I think that saying "he doesn't care about his body, why would he care about me" is very unfair.

I happen to know several doctors. Some of them smoke, some eat unealthy food. One is definitely underweight (she has hormones problems). They are all very good at what they do.

I know this anaesthetist (or anesthesiologist, for the US friends), now retired. A great human being. He spent most of his days and nights literally saving lives at the hospital. When he was home, he was always happy to help friends even if he was off duty. I remember once I was very ill, he would come back from the hospital after a 12 hours shift in the OR and stop by my house to check how I was doing.
    He is a smoker. Perfectly aware of the damages that smoke was doing to his health. He just said he needed a quick stress relief and didn't have the energy to try and quit.

Based on my experience, I would never judge a doctor because of his weight or habits.
    Actually, it makes me more comfortable knowing that they are struggling with the same problems I might have (like coping with stress, not being athletic, liking junk food, etc).
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I had a very overweight pediatrician. She died of a heart attack. Apparently she also smoked too. Very nice lady...but you gotta practice what you preach!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone from morbidly obese to slightly overweight in the last few years. I'm happy to take nutrition advice from him as he's had to walk the walk......(years ago I had a doctor who chain smoked........yeah, I'm that old :laugh: )
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I always saw my doc at the gym after school every day before I graduated in June 2011, so that made me feel pretty secure. Although he doesn't really listen to me that well.
  • AniOnFire
    AniOnFire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hehe. Threads like these make me giggle. Silly shallow people. The unsettling reality no one wants to hear is, NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Going to medical school does not make you perfect, and those of you who think that being morbidly obese makes someone a poor doctor well chances are people look at you and think the same thing about you, or someone you know and love, that you're some lazy fat slob who does nothing but shovel food into their mouth all day.

And Mr. IT guy people probably snicker behind your back and wonder "Oh my god, how does he get his fat meaty hand into the tiny places in my computer, I better call someone else, he might break my mobo," Or that you can't do your job because you're not a skinny little pale guy, because all IT guys should be skinny and pale, because they're all nerds right? Just like all Doctors should live their job, you should live your's too right? Doing IT is a job that requires small hands and fingers to get things done quickly, unless you're just on the software end of things. Small fingers and hands are the difference between taking the mobo out to install stuff and leaving it in the case. So technically they would be right in assuming that you're inept at your job because of your size. However, I bet you're not inept at your job, just like a fat doctor isn't inept at their job.

Funny side note; I don't know any doctors who are Morbidly obese, I do know doctors who smoke like chimney stacks to keep thin and eat appallingly unhealthy. And the obese doctors I know and the nurses I have met spend more hours on their feet a day than I do, and the nurses could run laps around the wings if it called for it, however, the ones I know who smoke can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded, and none of them are obese.

Lastly, shame on all of you who think just because someone in morbidly obese they can't do their job. And Doctors aren't there to set a good example for your children, YOU ARE. For all you know your "fit" doctor smokes a pack an hour and pops diet pills or does coke to stay "fit" and keep awake for their obnoxiously long shifts. But it's okay right.... as long as they have a BMI below.... yeah.
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I saw a biggest loser show where there was a family doctor and he mentioned how he would have to tell paitents to watch their diets yet he was I believe 400 + pounds and this really bothered him to have to tell his patients this. They are human too and have their own struggles.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Let's just say most men find my doctor very attractive...and she is! She just had a baby in May and you could never tell it!! She is very pleased with my weight loss and is very encouraging!

I did have a doctor who was overweight (about 60 pounds) but he was a great doctor and full of life! If I hadn't moved he would still be my doctor! And he's very intelligent!
  • reinadelaisla
    Options
    I'd like to remind everybody that just because someone is overweight doesn't necessarily mean he or she is unhealthy in his or her eating habits. Some people can try everything possible to live a healthy lifestyle, and while it helps on the inside (ex. heart, blood pressure, cholesterol) it doesn't show on the scale. Genetics also play a huge role.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'd be just as wary of a fat doctor as I would about a fat personal trainer.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I have one. He always tells me I need to lose weight and I have to bite my tongue to keep from sayin "Back atcha, buddy!" :p
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't know why on earth doctors should be expected to "lead by example" or "set a good example" other than the times when they are in the room with you. If they light up a cigar while handing your kiddo a super sized fast food meal, you have a problem. I'm not willing to pay my doctor for 24-7 care, it costs enough for one visit. I'm not going to expect them to live perfectly for something they aren't getting paid for. If your child asks you why her doctor is fat, it's a good time to teach all sorts of life lessons--acceptance/tolerance and how none of us are perfect and how different things are harder for some people than others. You can then tell her that is why it is important to learn how to eat healthfully young so it won't be as hard when you are older.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    My MiL had a doc (when she was around the same age i am now) that was so morbidly obese. She was told one day that in order to get rid of her diabeties she'd have to lose a lot weight. Meanwhile the doc had a bar of chocolate in his hand eating it during the consultation. She found a new doc and never went back.

But his advice was correct. Did she leave because he didn't follow his own advice, or because she didn't want to follow his advice?

BASIC advice may be correct.. like how do you lose weight? consume less calories then you use.

but when it comes to useful living advice, like 'Im not losing weight, where do you think my hidden calories are?' or 'how can i adapt to healthy X easier?' anything of that nature, they wouldnt know. excercise is another example.

Why do you assume they wouldn't know? Because all fat people don't know how to lose weight? Or because all doctors don't know? I've worked with many overweight or obese doctors over the year that knew perfectly well how to lose weight.

because if you're not living the same healthy active lifestyle, you dont learn the little things that come with it.

simple as that.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd like to remind everybody that just because someone is overweight doesn't necessarily mean he or she is unhealthy in his or her eating habits. Some people can try everything possible to live a healthy lifestyle, and while it helps on the inside (ex. heart, blood pressure, cholesterol) it doesn't show on the scale. Genetics also play a huge role.

True!
    Also, I wonder if all these posters saying they wouldn't trust an overweight doctor would do the same if the doctor was underweight.
    As I wrote before, I believe that judging doctors (or any other profession!) for BOTH reasons is wrong.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    If I really wanted to troll on the subject I guess I could bring this up.

1. Most people have poor logic-troubleshooting skills.
    2. Most people are incapable of memorizing, retaining, and APPLYING all of the known medical knowledge for a given field.
    3. Doctors are still people.
    4. Even if a doctor was poor or average at their job, the patient, because of #1 and a lack of #2 will never realize it anyway.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall a similar thread about having an overweight PT instructor. I worked with a dietician who was morbidly obese. She really knew her stuff, was academically acclaimed and had written several articles. However, she didn't look like she looked after herself very well, her hair often needed a good wash, her clothes looked like they have seen better days and she always looked a little disheveled. As a result, I wondered what her patients impressions were of her because despite appearances, this woman could really help someone with their weight issues with her knowledge - but its not always about hearing the information, its about how that information is presented, by whom, whether the patient then feels motivated to do something about it or left wondering that if it's ok for the dietician - then it's ok for me?? I see both sides to the discussion. Personally, I would rather my dietician/doctor/PT instuctor looked fit, healthy and well.
  • MrDude_1
    Options

True!
    Also, I wonder if all these posters saying they wouldn't trust an overweight doctor would do the same if the doctor was underweight.
    As I wrote before, I believe that judging doctors (or any other profession!) for BOTH reasons is wrong.

What if I disagreed with both of you when you say genetics plays a huge role?