My Jaw Hit the Floor

Options

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    also, this is a good testament to the difficulty in lifting heavy and is eye-opening for many who haven't lifted before I'm sure

not really cause A) its light bumper plates and more importatly b) its not proper heavy lifting. As far as a "continental clean" if that is the proper form for it, then it can go back to whatever continent it came from.

Derek Poundstone doing the Continental Clean.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6agvB5mBvY

It is not something that is easy on the back, but most laymen who see an Olympic Clean and Jerk think the same thing. It is done this way because it is done using an axle and not an olympic barbell.

interesting
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    That just blew my mind - omg that is insane!! :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If no one has posted yet, this is how it is done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ppfXBp5o0
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I couldn't watch the video until the end...I didn't want to see any potential injuries. YIKES! :noway:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Totally cringing the whole time... and making all kinds of distorted faces like I do when I'm nervous. Seriously thought someone was going to get hurt badly.. that was awful!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    24157060.jpg

agreed.

What. A bunch. Of *kitten*. Those people could have hurt themselves and the "coaches" were just letting it happen?? If I'm borking a lift even a QUARTER as bad as some of those people, I'd hope that my trainer would stop me!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You guys are pathetic, myfitnesspal is a site built around people trying to improve themselves and you make fun of other people in a video where they're clearly beginners and learning the ropes.

every one has to start somewhere, remember that. you guys should no better than others how it feels to be judged.

EDIT: also the majority of those girls are hot. Jelly much?

You do realize that this was filmed during a competition? These were NOT beginners!

As a side note: Beginners should NOT be trying to lift their 1 rep max right off the back. Start light to learn the form so you don't injure yourself, and build up SLOWLY. don't go right to the heaviest you can do right away.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    that was hard to watch. I thought it was going to be one of those "watch these idiots hurt themselves" videos. I can't believe that is a real gym....
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    also, this is a good testament to the difficulty in lifting heavy and is eye-opening for many who haven't lifted before I'm sure

not really cause A) its light bumper plates and more importatly b) its not proper heavy lifting. As far as a "continental clean" if that is the proper form for it, then it can go back to whatever continent it came from.

It is not something that is easy on the back, but most laymen who see an Olympic Clean and Jerk think the same thing. It is done this way because it is done using an axle and not an olympic barbell.

That was CLEAN! Not like what the amateurs in the first video were doing. You could see their arms buckling under the pressure. He was fine.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You guys are pathetic, myfitnesspal is a site built around people trying to improve themselves and you make fun of other people in a video where they're clearly beginners and learning the ropes.

every one has to start somewhere, remember that. you guys should no better than others how it feels to be judged.

Seriously?? If they are beginners then why do they all have like 8 plates on the bar? Trying to lift ridiculous amounts of weight that you are clearly not strong enough for is... just plain stupid...
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

That was CLEAN! Not like what the amateurs in the first video were doing. You could see their arms buckling under the pressure. He was fine.

Obviously, and I agree that Crossfit boxes like that are a sham, but all these ill-informed people are going on about how that lift is somehow horrible when they've never seen it before this video. The point is, it's a legitimate lift being done by people who need to go back to basics.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Seriously?? If they are beginners then why do they all have like 8 plates on the bar? Trying to lift ridiculous amounts of weight that you are clearly not strong enough for is... just plain stupid...

They're bumper plates. They were probably lifting 90lbs which isn't too heavy for a clean
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    They're bumper plates. They were probably lifting 90lbs which isn't too heavy for a clean
    [/quote]

^^^this...its not that big a deal.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    If no one has posted yet, this is how it is done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ppfXBp5o0

This is not the same lift!!!!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    OMG - that gym is close to where I live!!

"This lift is not a standard Clean and Jerk." Yeah - no kidding!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    OMG - that gym is close to where I live!!

"This lift is not a standard Clean and Jerk." Yeah - no kidding!

It's not a clean and jerk at all!!! It's a completely different lift!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

No, you're being silly. I think we're critiquing the gym and it's instructors for both letting this farce take place and for thinking it was good promotional material worthy of placing on youtube. The participants are giving it their all, but the "coaches" should be teaching them better form, and taking half or all of the weight off that axle until the lifters know the proper way to get the weight up.

I don't care what the lift is called. There is no lift on this planet involving humans where that type of arching, imbalanced and dangerous form is part of the normal routine. Somebody trying to set a WR at the Olympics can do whatever to get it up, but a newb MUST use correct form at all times, period.

Stop that. You know as well as I do that "heavy" is a relative term, and a person new to lifting can hurt themselves with just a bar or even WITHOUT the bar, while getting started. If they have to break form like this, then it's too heavy.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    That is insane, I would have to interrupt that if I saw it. I see some bad things at the gym as it is but that tops pretty much any of it.

Learn to lift properly before lifting. I'm not really a buyer into the Crossfit ideology but I think it is something that can work out well if done correctly!

Definitely not a knock on the kids attempting these moves, but the coaches for facilitating such attempts.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I had to watch with one eye shut. That was stupid.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    when you form Nazis actually get to lift something which is not machine based or a freeweight - like when you are moving furniture or another object that is not a bar with weights on the end. When you actually do that, you may notice that yoru body can move in many different directions -

if you actually break down what they are doing in the video and look at it in a truly functional manner you will observe correct bracing of the lumbar, superb movement in the hip and thorasic, stability in the rotator cuff and movement in the shoulder and the all important ankle flexion. Joint by joint correct functional form - look at strongmen/women contests, look at what used to be the overhead press at the Olympics at how the spine moved.

Seriously, you people are the sort of misinformed idiots that I expect to read comments from on YouTube, no wonder more and more people are disabling comments when no nothing lunkers abound.

The very truth is, the brain is much smarter and the body much much smarter - lifting is a science but also an art, very few people get injured by lifting - most common death is Darwinian - BB BP for PB's whilst working out alone - bye bye wind pipe. Injury is slight, except in seasoned professionals who push just that little bit too much and tear muscles from tendons.

Oh your a little charmer arn't you? lol

Seriously though, how can you defend what these kids are doing? Literally, it is amazing none of them dropped the bar on their heads!! No matter what gloss you put on it, what they were doing was dangerous.

But they did not and if you lifted you would know that human instinct doesn't really allow for bar dropping on heads. As far as charm, rather be someone who knows what is correct rather than full of charm and insidious know nothing comments.

Now, apart from the charm comment, tell me and everyone who knows about lifting what these people are doing wrong. Oh mistress of wonderfulness. name me one qualification you have to judge.

That's right, none, you do not know. As is the case of 99.9% of the people commenting on the thread. It is pathetic, and everyone on this thread will quite happily overextend their neck when doing the daddy of all screwed up exercises the supine crunch or will happily do the easy tricep dip off a step and wonder why they have shoulder problems

HAPPY GAFY everyone on this thread who knows nothing but can comment on something.

I have decided your obviously only commenting on this thread to troll things. You don't seem to have much to add that's constructive and seem to hate everyone else on mfp! If your so perfect and are so much more qualified to extoll the brilliance of the form on this clip how about a pic on your profile to show us all how fantastic you must look seeing as you are obviously doing things in the gym none of the rest of us has been taught before. Not being funny but you seem a very angry man, the forum's are meant to be a place for a bit of banter, not somewhere to vent your inner rage lol. My comment was meant in a humorous way about you being a charmer. I couldn't be less interested in getting into a debate online. Just expressing my opinion on what I watched, that is all :-) laters grumps x