SAHM 11/30--12/6

Options
wow--it's almost december!! If you haven't joined us yet, feel free to jump in anytime. We are a group of stay at home moms, working on improving our fitness. we are an open, informal with no official weigh-in's, but we sometimes challenge one another just to keep things fresh. :happy:

we are very supportive and encouraging--on any topic, not just fitness. we really get the unique challenges that face us as the caretakers of the family who also want to find time for ourselves to get healthy.

so be a part of the conversation! we'd love to have you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    sooo--holiday weekend over. a lot of us did very well incorporating exercise into the weekend and restraining ourselves at the dinner table. high five to us! :smile:
    to those of you who've been under the weather, i hope you get to feeling better soon. drink that water and get your rest (as best you can).

so what are your goals this week? last week i was successful at increasing my water and i hope to add 1 more glass this week (to a consistent 8 glasses h2o/day).
    i also challenged myself to do my exer plan every day--well, i did 5 out of 7. yesterday was supposed to be stretch and instead i did leslie walk. and sat was supp to be arms&shoulders and abripperx--but i didn't do that at all. still, i'm pleased and know that this is a goal i will continue to aim for.

i'm having surgery later this week, so besides the water i'm not adding anything to my list. it's same day but i don't know when i'll be able to resume exercising or how i'll be feeling.

but come post up here and let us know what you're working on. what has worked for you? what do you still struggle with? if you look back at the last month, what are you really proud of? and coming up to this last month of the year--what do you REALLY want for YOURSELF?
    talk to ya later :heart:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Gm everyone. I was really quiet here over the weekend. I was extremely busy with the fam and working around our property. I bunrt so many calories this weekend I had no idea how to eat them all. Needless to say I didn't. I like when I have that much choice! MY goal this week is to burn as many calories as I did last week. I burnt almost 6000 calories. WOAH! I am also going to concentrate on my water!!!!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible night last night, but it was my fault. I left exercise to the last minute, and I was just too tired & achey to finish it, so I went over by 340 calories. Darn those graham crackers & peanut butter!

Stacey, mind if I'm nosey & ask what you're having surgery for? I hope it goes well. The great thing about surgeries is that (at least for us) they max out one's deductible for the year, and every other major health issue is FREE! LOL
    See? There IS a silver lining to being cut open!

I have no goals this week other than to drink lots of water, stay under on calories & sodium, and exercise as usual :)
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    stacey- your always so great with your wording thank you so much for some of your questions to us it really makes me sit and think about ME and what I want to accomplish. I get so focused on the big picture (of being thin) and don't really concentrate on all the little things that I have worked on So THANK YOU! I hope your surgery goes well for you, prayers on a quick recovery so you can get back to your goals!

My goal for this week is to get rid of the excess water weigh i'm carrying. I KNOW I didn't do terrible this thanksgiving although I did drink and I haven't in a while. I stayed active all week and this am. I gained 4 lbs but I'm thankful I know for sure it's not fat I gained but in fact water. There is no way possible 14,000 extra calories were THAT sneaky and entered my food diary LOL . I'm increasing my h20 the next few days and hoping for 120oz. each day

I challenge myself to do my bike rides more at home, with xmas coming we've decided to skip spinning class at the gym to save on our gas bill and just push ourselves on our bikes at home. I also want to get on the tredmil a few times and maybe the wii as well. I don't really have time limit in mind just that I want to get on them everyday this week. I really want to get to 160lbs by xmas so the water weight needs to go and then I'll focus more on the next 5lbs
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Stacey, it is great to have some motivating questions. I hope that your surgery goes well, and the recuperation time too. :smile:

My mini-goal for the moment is to be down to 156 by Christmas (that's about 1.5 lbs./week so totally doable) My husband and I are having water challenges to see who can down the most in a day. My max so far was 7.5 water bottles (at 20 oz ea. that's 150 oz!)

Trish, I would like to know some of your tricks for keeping the sodium intake so low. 1500 is like nothing! But that is what I really need to lower my bp, so if you have tips let me know. And as far as your snacking, well that time of the month I just stop counting anything. Won't even get near a scale until a week AFTER. So don't sweat it too much.

Shera and nicolee, I think your activity level is amazing! I have no energy, but hopefully when I lose a little more weight I will.
  • shera426
    Options
    Stacey, it is great to have some motivating questions. I hope that your surgery goes well, and the recuperation time too. :smile:

My mini-goal for the moment is to be down to 156 by Christmas (that's about 1.5 lbs./week so totally doable) My husband and I are having water challenges to see who can down the most in a day. My max so far was 7.5 water bottles (at 20 oz ea. that's 150 oz!)

Trish, I would like to know some of your tricks for keeping the sodium intake so low. 1500 is like nothing! But that is what I really need to lower my bp, so if you have tips let me know. And as far as your snacking, well that time of the month I just stop counting anything. Won't even get near a scale until a week AFTER. So don't sweat it too much.

Shera and nicolee, I think your activity level is amazing! I have no energy, but hopefully when I lose a little more weight I will.

Thank you! I don't feel like I get enough it lately. I know I get a lot on averate 2500-3000 a week I burn but I need to push myself. I go on bike rides and we got for a long time but it's not like in a spin class where we really PUSH. Thank you for your kind words though, it makes me think back to when I just sat here and did nothing all day everyday and was miserable with myself. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far I just know I can do more but don't :)
  • jrbowers83
    Options
    Yeah the last time I tried a spin class I literally passed out. In front of like 20 other women. So kinda embarassing. I have to say going to the gym, especially if you have a workout buddy, really keeps you committed to exercising, but I seldom find the time anymore. I invested in a simple step aerobics at home, and settle for playing with the kids to get the rest of my exercise :smile:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Thanks Jrbowers! I actually do so much outside work on the weekends and I run, that's how I get all of my burnt calories! We just bought 20 acres 3 months ago from an older couple that couldn't take care of the land and it needs to be cleaned up outside and somewhat inside, but the inside is going to wait until we get the outside somewhat in order. With that being said, it is also hilly, so I am walking up and down hills, and tending a burn pike, moving firewood, all of that good stuff. It adds up quick!

Stacey- I think I would be anxious about having surgery, I hope it all goes well for you!:flowerforyou:

Shera- Way-to-go with the bike riding, right now it's too cold her for me to be comfortable on my bike.

Trish-you go with the water! **Glub!**Glub!**
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    jrbowers, I do the sodium just like the I did the calories my first few weeks. I knew what my biggest, baddest meal of the day was every day (dinner), logged it in, and fit everything else in around it.
    My food diary is public, so you can always see what I'm eating/trying to fit in. Right now I'm kinda miserable eating this cracked wheat nonsense for breakfast, but it has no sodium. I'm going to try & find something else when we get our groceries this weekend. I looked at Oatmeal, but it was loaded. Also, the frozen meals & soups I usually get are terrible in the sodium department, so I'll have to find replacements for those soon, too. It looks like we are gradually getting pushed more and more toward eating fresh stuff.

Thanks for encouragement on the water, ladies. I've been slacking, and just feeling BLAH since AF showed up. I remember when I was little asking my grandma "Why can't we just have kids without all the nasty BLAH attached?". She looked at me as though I spoke sacrilege... "That would just be unnatural!"

*Eyes her big water mug & takes a deep breath* I'm the champ, I'm the champ! *glug, glug*
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

You all are so talkative... I missed alot today. I spent most of my day in the ER shar got into some of my pills and we had to have her observed to make sure she didn't take any. She didn't! yay!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    thanks all for letting me know you like my conversation starters. :smile: i find my sahm sisters on mfp are so helpful to me in staying focused on my goals that i just want to do the same for you. also, you all give me ideas on ways to improve myself too--and i'm the chick who reads all the p-ing and self help books out there! (i know, such a dork)

anyway, i like that idea of aiming for a certain # cals to burn each day or week. i might give that a try down the line. mfp will track that for you anyway so really no extra work involved.

thanks for the well wishes on my surgery. :heart:

off to drink more water. i'm parched!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

You all are so talkative... I missed alot today. I spent most of my day in the ER shar got into some of my pills and we had to have her observed to make sure she didn't take any. She didn't! yay!

good thing! we use the tot lock system with magnets so little ones can't even open the doors a crack to get at stuff. for ex, cold meds and pepto etc are all in dh's cabinets under his sink locked up with the tot lock. they're expensive so you may need to save up, but could give you more peace of mind. can buy at babies r us and maybe even home depot.

anyway, glad sharlotte's ok!
  • shera426
    Options
    I DID IT! I got on the tredmil for 30 min. With my goal of staying home and doing something on the tredmil I started my first day at couch to 5k day 1. I did this a year ago but never finished past wk 3. I also did 20 min. on the wii but then my kids were patiently waiting to have their turn so I handed it over...maybe tomorrow i'll do the wii at quiet time LOL

So far water is going down smooth, would like to see more in me by the end of the day but it's still only 6:30 so I'm working on it as we speak *bottles up*
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Good for you Shera! I will be your personal cheerleader!:laugh: I run too!

Have a great night everyone!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Way to go, Shera! I'm not having nearly as successful a day as you. I'm way over on sodium, have only downed 30 oz of water so far today, and haven't had a workout yet. Blah.
    I try to drink water, but I just want to gag. I tried adding sugar free grape mix to it, but that only helped a little. Oh well, tomorrow's a new day.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    yay shera! good for you for starting the week strong!!

sorry trish--try to drink one glass per meal and one per snack. that'll get your #s up but won't be overwhelming (i hope). i know how that is--sometimes water is just sooo unappealing. that's when i wind up drinking 2 qts of crystal light (then get a headache and then go back to water :laugh: ). hang in there--you've done really well till now--so maybe this week will be a coasting week. you don't gain any ground but you don't lose any either. make sense??
    anyway--sending you STRONG vibes :flowerforyou:

to all the other ladies--have a great great day! i won't be checking in again for the next few days. :frown: but i'll be thinking good thoughts and look forward to reading your successes!! :heart:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery, Stacey.

I managed to get 90 oz of water down last night and burn off 300 calories or so. I will definitely push to get my workout in during Grace's naptime. Last night I didn't get it done until close to midnight. Blech!

Tonight the ladies group at my church is having their annual Christmas party. This will be the first time for me going somewhere that's serving a meal & not know what we're having. I hope I do okay. I will go knowing how much calories I have left, and just try to enjoy myself while staying within my limits. It will be a practice run for the official church Christmas party this Saturday evening.
    Now to find a white elephant gift. Got any ideas?
  • nicolee516
    Options
    GM! Way to go trish with getting your water in yesterday. I know sometimes it's hard. Do you drink herbal teas? If you like peppermint tea, that actaully curbs the appetite, is a natural stimulant and doesn't have any calories. A good way to get in some fluid. As for a white elephant gift, I am not sure what the price range is, but one year I got cute little reindeer candle holders from Michaels.
  • jrbowers83
    Options
    Good morning. You present a question that I was thinking of posing... what to do about all the holiday parties? At my church alone there are 4. Then I have 3 with family the week of Christmas, and there may be some additional things we get invited to do with friends. Yikes! So I just wanted to see what are all of you doing to watch those calories?
    Trish, I just wanted to suggest to you that you wake up early instead of staying up late to squeeze in workouts. Lack of sleep can lead to storing of fat, and those midnight workouts can certainly make it hard to get enough shut eye. I like to get up at 5 am before the kids are up. Then I can shower and everything and start my day with them. Naptime I sometimes nap with my one year old, which is a real treat for me, and I can do it guilt-free knowing my workout is met for the day. I also usually have 1-2 water bottles with my workout so helps toward my water goals as well. I know there are days with the little ones where this just won't work, but I certainly try and I've worked out every day for the last 10 days by doing this! :smile:

Nicolee, I heard green tea works similarly to the peppermint tea and the antioxidants are good for cleansing your body. Do you or does anyone know if decaf tea and coffee count toward the water goal, or should you take in additional water when you consume those drinks?
  • shera426
    Options
    Good morning. You present a question that I was thinking of posing... what to do about all the holiday parties? At my church alone there are 4. Then I have 3 with family the week of Christmas, and there may be some additional things we get invited to do with friends. Yikes! So I just wanted to see what are all of you doing to watch those calories?
    Trish, I just wanted to suggest to you that you wake up early instead of staying up late to squeeze in workouts. Lack of sleep can lead to storing of fat, and those midnight workouts can certainly make it hard to get enough shut eye. I like to get up at 5 am before the kids are up. Then I can shower and everything and start my day with them. Naptime I sometimes nap with my one year old, which is a real treat for me, and I can do it guilt-free knowing my workout is met for the day. I also usually have 1-2 water bottles with my workout so helps toward my water goals as well. I know there are days with the little ones where this just won't work, but I certainly try and I've worked out every day for the last 10 days by doing this! :smile:

Nicolee, I heard green tea works similarly to the peppermint tea and the antioxidants are good for cleansing your body. Do you or does anyone know if decaf tea and coffee count toward the water goal, or should you take in additional water when you consume those drinks?

I've always been told at Weigth watchers to count coffee, teas, even diet soda as part of your water intake for the day. Just don't go over board and drink diet soda all day and hope that counts for 8cups of water. I count my coffe in the a.m. as 2 cups then I don't drink anything but water the rest of the day.
    Even with the caffine in coffee which is a natural diuretic it just means you would dehydrate faster if you didnt include anything else in your daily water intake. I've just read some people add an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee/soda they drink.
    Personally I would go with how you feel, REALLY pay attention to your body and if you feel thirsty drink more