Raw Milk Anyone?

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

According to the CDC: "1,837 illnesses, 195 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths" of which, 82% were from raw milk. This is between 1998 and 2009.

now THAT's an interesting statistic. 1837 illnesses and 82% of them were from raw milk? What were the others from? Compared to what? Only 2 deaths between 1998 and 2009? Really? I mean, I thought more than 2 people died A DAY!!!!

context please context. That statistic means nothing.

I'm surprised the entire french population isn't extinct considering the consumption of unpasteurised dairy products they consume......
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

According to the CDC: "1,837 illnesses, 195 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths" of which, 82% were from raw milk. This is between 1998 and 2009.

now THAT's an interesting statistic. 1837 illnesses and 82% of them were from raw milk? What were the others from? Compared to what? Only 2 deaths between 1998 and 2009? Really? I mean, I thought more than 2 people died A DAY!!!!

I'm surprised the entire french population isn't extinct considering the consumption of unpasteurised dairy products they consume......

That statistic means a lot. Less than 3% of the US Population drinks raw milk. (So, that 3% accounting for 82% of illnesses shows a huge risk).

But, it also shows that while the risk is incredibly significantly higher, its not like it will immediately kill you the second you sip raw milk lol. Simply drinking pasteurized milk GREATLY reduces the risks with milk consumption, and is incredibly easy to do (harder to find raw milk!).

If you find the statistics meaningless, you should take a few math classes.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    The laws vary by state. When we lived in Utah, we bought raw milk directly from a dairy farmer at his farm for like $2 a gallon and it was great. He was not certified to sell raw milk, but did it for a few people under the table. I always figured if his family and kids drank it and were fine, it was okay.

Now, in Texas, it is legal to sell certified raw milk from the farm only. There is a place fairly local to us (about 45 minutes away) that sells certified raw milk. This means that the farmer has a permit from the USDA to sell it and has regular inspections, follows a strict protocol for collection, storage and cleaning of machinery, etc. Because she has to maintain this certification, her costs are higher, which she must pass on to the consumers. So, if we want raw milk, we have to drive there and pay like $10 a gallon :sad: I believe there is a coop that you can buy into that has someone drive to her farm monthly and buy milk for anyone in the coop that wants it, but it's just too expensive for my budget.

I do prefer raw milk and believe it has benefits, but not enough for me to justify the extra expense.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Raw milk is readily available in my neck of the woods (Northern California) as well as cheeses made from raw milk. There's a warning sign but no one seems to pay attention to those signs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in buying raw milk....I've had it before when my grandparents still milked cows....and the stuff is glorious.

Does anyone buy from local farmers and stuff? I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on some. I know its not legal generally.

General thoughts?

Check out the Real Milk website and see if you can find a farmer in your area.

http://www.realmilk.com/
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    One of the local dairy farms will sell it if you ask....they just have to label it "not for human consumption." I was talking to the owner at their farmers market and they drink it all the time. Check with a local dairy farm.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    i have no axe to grind on this but why would you want raw milk over pastuerised milk?

Below is from the FDA

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
    While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reactions. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
    Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.
    Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
    Pasteurization DOES save lives.

I guess you believe the good old FDA and USDA.

They are full of it so they can keep on with their reign the people agenda.
  • girlinahat
    Options

That statistic means a lot. Less than 3% of the US Population drinks raw milk. (So, that 3% accounting for 82% of illnesses shows a huge risk).

But, it also shows that while the risk is incredibly significantly higher, its not like it will immediately kill you the second you sip raw milk lol. Simply drinking pasteurized milk GREATLY reduces the risks with milk consumption, and is incredibly easy to do (harder to find raw milk!).

It is an OUT OF CONTEXT statistic. what are the 1837 illnesses referred to? I mean, surely more than that many people get sick during an 11 year period?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    when you are at the grocrey store look for the local milks. I know hannaford carries diffrent local brands, buy a regular bottle ( for the number) and call them. Most farms do it. At least in the US anyways.

If it is in the grocery store, it has been pasturized and homogenized. It is definitely NOT raw.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    i have no axe to grind on this but why would you want raw milk over pastuerised milk?

Below is from the FDA

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
    While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reactions. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
    Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.
    Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
    Pasteurization DOES save lives.

I guess you believe the good old FDA and USDA.

They are full of it so they can keep on with their reign the people agenda.

Is that the same USDA that is the awarding body of the Tour de France (which I had previously thought a privately organised race) or have I got the wrong end of the the stick somewhere.....

OF COURSE!!! Now I get it, that damned EPO containing raw milk.......
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

It is an OUT OF CONTEXT statistic. what are the 1837 illnesses referred to? I mean, surely more than that many people get sick during an 11 year period?

Exactly. And we all know the CDC, FDA and USDA never skew any statisistics.

That is what is wrong with America. There are so many sheep that believe the data that the FDA, USDA, and CDC put out. Unbelievable blind sheep. (biggest roll eye)
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options

So, according to the 2010 Census, there are 311,591,917 people in the United States. If you are correct and 3% drink raw milk; that is 9,347,757 people consuming raw milk. In roughly 10 years there were only 1506 raw milk related illnesses (82% of 1506). So, less than 2% of raw milk drinkers ever even got sick in 10 years, right? Now, I know this isn't the best, but given my limited time, let's divide the 1506 cases over 10 years; approximately 150 cases per year. I know the US population has changed, but keeping the figure of raw milk drinkers constant; that means that 0.16% of raw milk drinkers in the US even gets ill from it each year.

Let's look at something like regular old eggs. Let's assume that 90% of the US population are egg eaters (280,432,725). The CDC also says that there are 1.4 salmonella cases each year and that eggs are responsible for 75% of those; so 1,050,000 cases each year. So, that's nearly 4% of egg eaters in the US getting sick from salmonella each year!

So, while your statistic is mildly interesting, it must be taken into context. If the average egg eater finds the 4% salmonella rate an acceptable risk; it's not a stretch for the average raw milk consumer to feel safe with a tenth of a percent illness rate. Sure, pasteurized milk is safer, but IMO, if you like raw milk, go for it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Raw milk is way less dangerous than that crap stuff they sell in the grocery store. That is NOT milk.

People drank raw milk for eons before the whole pasturization and homogenization process started.

All the hoopla about it being dangerous is a big pile of turds. Also, I grew up on raw milk and had never had store bought milk until I went into the military and found it to be disgustingly gross.

Raw milk tastes good - that is the real reason. I used to drink it every once in a while when I could get it from a small farm that is land-held by my MIL. But honestly, it is dangerous. Especially for kids. If you want to take the risk personally - fine. Giving it to children is criminal unless you really know the source.

Pregnant women or those near pregnant women should avoid it too - the real risks, especially in America, around salmonella can be catastrophic. Other risks include listeriosis, E. coli infection, Q-fever and tuberculosis. All nice.

Raw milk is one of the most dangerous food products and is responsible for many more hospitalizations than any other food-related disease outbreak - so take that into consideration.

The issue with raw milk in America is that since it is illegal in about half the states there is limited control or testing in these states. It would be possible to develop a better industry today given the quality of microbial testing but not in that legal and economic environment of volume.

Europe has a different position and raw milk is available in almost all countries. Cheese from raw milk? I would not like to live without it. Love my Comte.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    One of the local dairy farms will sell it if you ask....they just have to label it "not for human consumption."

You know you think writing that on the container would be a clue for some people...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    One of the local dairy farms will sell it if you ask....they just have to label it "not for human consumption."

You know you think writing that on the container would be a clue for some people...

The label just allows the government to hold dominion over us.

The United States is the most NON-Free country that claims to their citizens to be a free country.

If we were a free country, we would be able to consume raw milk without the government stepping their foot into our business.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Any one here drink it? Do you have any pro/cons?

Just be aware that it does have more of a chance of having bacteria in it compare to pasteurize milk that limits the bacteria in it. I've never tried it but from what I've heard is that if you're not use to, like didn't grow up drinking it, it can upset your stomach and make you feel ill but its suppose to taste better. This is just word of mouth.
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love raw milk and drink it when I can find it....even after a bout of TB as a kid (which I'm still not convinced it was from raw milk even if that was the going theory 40 some odd years ago).
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

The label just allows the government to hold dominion over us.

The United States is the most NON-Free country that claims to their citizens to be a free country.

If we were a free country, we would be able to consume raw milk without the government stepping their foot into our business.

They just do what they can to try to save the lives of people who are often too dumb or ill informed to save their own.

I am no less free drinking pasteurized milk. Well that's not true. I'm free from pathogens. I appreciate that.

But we don't need to continue this discussion. You keep thinking the FDA, USDA and CDC are all out to get you. I'll appreciate the work they do to keep people safe. Neither of us will change our minds. One of us is right.

I just need to also add that Louis Pasteur was a genius and the world owes him an eternal debt of gratitude.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I find all milk disgusting...just personal taste. That said.....

As a child, my grandpa would shoot a stream of milk directly from the cows teat into my mouth and I'm still breathing, so I'm pretty sure raw milk doesn't pose some huge health risk. Added to that, raw milk is all my great grandparents ever drank. Grandpa was 98 when he died and grandma was 95, so.....there ya go.