Raw Milk Anyone?

Options

Replies

• Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm not to worried about the "bacteria". I'm not going to die. I love the taste of it and wanted to figure out how to get it...and what others' opinions of it were. If I died from drinking delicious raw milk, I would be dying in heaven :)

Find someone with a milk cow out back and make really good friends with them. You're adorable, bat your eyelashes at some farm boy and have him hook you up.

bwahahha thank you ;)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the psychoanalysis.....here I just thought I was expressing an opinion. :smile:

No you made a statement. You said that you once tried a small amount of raw milk and that your great-grandparents drank it and lived a long life. Therefore raw milk can't be harmful.

When discussing things like this, important things where bad information can lead to people getting sick and even dying, it's important to really use our brains and listen to the right people.

To use an example you may as well have said, "I drove to the store once and didn't crash my car, my great-grandparents were never in a car accident in their lives. So I guess car accidents don't happen."

Raw milk can and will make people very ill. It really is similar to raw meat. You properly cook any meat before eating it, correct? The same should be done with milk.

I'm happy to let all of you freely drink whatever you would like, none of my business. But when/if you get ill don't clog up a hospital bed that someone with a working brain might need. And don't sue the government for not preventing you from doing what they're trying to prevent you from doing in the first place.

So everyone who's eaten steak tartar or raw seafood should be dead too. If you doubt the source of your food so much then you shouldn't even eat it, raw or cooked.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    the only milk I drink is raw milk. I get mine delivered from a farm coop. I'm not sure where you live, but they deliver in and around nyc.

And to the people saying it only tastes good from the fat, it has the same amount of fat as pasturized homoginized whole milk. It still tastes better to me. Another thing too is I thought I was lactose intolerant but I have no issues on raw milk.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Oh yeah and an fyi for everyone saying fda milk is so much safer, you do realize that its the homoginization process that alters the molecular structure of the milk right? You can boil and pasturize your own raw milk. It'll still be better than anything you can get at the supermarket.

Its sad how a lot of people don't even know that milk naturally seperated from the fat when it isnt ultra processed
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be a government brainwashed sheeple on this one and use pasteurized dairy products. I cook meat before I eat it, so have my milk heated before I drink it hardly seems like some dangerous conspiracy to me.

And this has never been a country where you are free to do whatever you want. Ever. That has never been the definition of what a free society means. Laws and taxes, anyone?

Actually there was a time when the government did NOT regulate food and drugs. And we got along splendidly.

You are absolutely free to move to another country where food and drugs are not regulated. Somalia really has no rules or regulation at all, and a life expectancy to match. I'll stay here in this un-free American hellhole suffering great injustices like milk that's been heated. It's horrendous, but some how I'll make it through.

That milk has been heated destroys the nutrients in it, so why drink it or use it? Absurd to me. But, I question everything and look back to the old, simple days when things were done RIGHT.
    Pasteurization
    Pasteurizing milk destroys beneficial bacteria along with the bad ones and destroys enzymes essential for nutrient absorption. Pasteurizing milk destroys all its phosphatase; this is essential for the absorption of calcium, and calcium works with Vitamin D, not only available through sunshine but is an essential nutrient in raw cream. Nature packaged a superb design for human sustenance in milk as it comes from the cow with all original essential nutrients — so long as it is not pasteurized. Heating any raw food destroys the active enzymes, so lipase (an enzyme unique to milk and needed to complete digestion of fats) is blasted along with many other essential nutrients that pasteurization destroys.

Homogenization
    Homogenization is a process that breaks up fat globules in cream into very small particles which then do not separate from the rest of the milk. One of the reasons homogenizing milk became standard processing plant practice is that it allowed cheap Grade C milk (with little cream rising to the top) to be mixed with Grade B and valuable Grade A milk (with lots of cream rising to the top) to all be labeled as Grade A and priced accordingly. There is no known health or nutritional advantage to homogenization and quite a bit of science proving its harm — see The Milk Book, Chapter VII, "Udder Menace" by William Campbell Douglass II, MD. Some research suggests that this fracturing of the lipid (fat) molecule creates a free radical cascade that can cause allergic reactions and, through complex metabolic processes, even heart disease. (Others suggest that it is really the heating of the milk protein in the water fraction of the milk that provides allergic reactions, not homogenization.)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We go through 1/2 gallon a week here (mainly the 4yo). It IS awesome stuff. I'm just sad it's $6+ a gallon.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    We have it at a couple stores nearby here in CA. It is AWESOME, but expensive. It is too many calories for me most of the time and my husband can't drink it fast enough before it goes bad so we only have it as a treat and get by with Almond Milk for most cooking and such. I love raw cream as well. YUM. Such a treat.
  • Jmariemiller
    Jmariemiller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's really illegal here in the states because all of the health foods stores near me sell it, and they ADVERTISE selling it. One of them has a huge road sign saying they have it and also advertise in the paper. I believe you have to sign a waiver at the store when you buy it saying you won't sue and you agree to the risks though.

I live just over the hill from a Hutterite colony and they will gladly sell me milk right off the cow, milked in front of me. If you live near a Menonite, Hutterite, or Amish colony you can get the milk fairly cheap. They said they'd charge me $1.00 a gallon. I've yet to buy any though because I am really not fond of milk.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Why would you consider it O.o You aren't a baby cow... =/ If all pasteurization does is kill the bacteria then why go for raw? If we are able to kill off the bad bacteria in the milk then we should do that.

*Serious question....why would you want to drink milk with the bacteria?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be a government brainwashed sheeple on this one and use pasteurized dairy products. I cook meat before I eat it, so have my milk heated before I drink it hardly seems like some dangerous conspiracy to me.

And this has never been a country where you are free to do whatever you want. Ever. That has never been the definition of what a free society means. Laws and taxes, anyone?

Actually there was a time when the government did NOT regulate food and drugs. And we got along splendidly.

Yeah, life was so great way back then. Back when life expectancy was a good two decades lower, thanks to so many young people dying of infectious diseases. Now I can expect my kids to live into adulthood. Stupid government regulations.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Yeah, life was so great way back then. Back when life expectancy was a good two decades lower, thanks to so many young people dying of infectious diseases. Now I can expect my kids to live into adulthood. Stupid government regulations.

Actually its very likely that you can now expect your kids to live less than you.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    More people get sick from fruits and vegetables too. Washing them doesn't do much to help with bacterial contamination also

Should the FDA start selling pasteurized and cooked cantaloupes now?
    http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/30/13574977-204-now-sick-from-salmonella-outbreak-in-cantaloupes?lite

204 now sick from salmonella outbreak in cantaloupes
    By Melissa Dahl, NBC News

U.S. health officials say the number of people sickened with the strain of salmonella linked to cantaloupe from an Indiana farm has grown to 204 in 22 states.

At least 78 people have been hospitalized as a result of the infection caused by salmonella Typhimurium, and two deaths have been reported in Kentucky. Here's a list of the number of ill people identified by state, according to the Centers for Disease Control:

Alabama (13), Arkansas (5), California (2), Florida (1), Georgia (4), Illinois (24), Indiana (22), Iowa (8), Kentucky (63), Massachusetts (2), Michigan (6), Minnesota (5), Mississippi (5), Missouri (13), New Jersey (2), North Carolina (5), Ohio (5), Pennsylvania (2), South Carolina (3), Tennessee (8), Texas (2), and Wisconsin (4).
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's really illegal here in the states because all of the health foods stores near me sell it, and they ADVERTISE selling it. One of them has a huge road sign saying they have it and also advertise in the paper. I believe you have to sign a waiver at the store when you buy it saying you won't sue and you agree to the risks though.

I live just over the hill from a Hutterite colony and they will gladly sell me milk right off the cow, milked in front of me. If you live near a Menonite, Hutterite, or Amish colony you can get the milk fairly cheap. They said they'd charge me $1.00 a gallon. I've yet to buy any though because I am really not fond of milk.

It varies by state. Here is a map showing it by state: http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/raw_milk_map.htm
  • slkehl
    Options
    So everyone who's eaten steak tartar or raw seafood should be dead too. If you doubt the source of your food so much then you shouldn't even eat it, raw or cooked.

Also risky to do. It's like Russian roulette. You might be fine, but there's a significant chance that you could come down with a life threatening disease that's completely preventable by eating fully cooked meat or pasteurized milk.

Anyway, it's rather odd that humans drink milk in the first place. We're the only species that does so past infancy.
  • slkehl
    Options
    [Yeah, life was so great way back then. Back when life expectancy was a good two decades lower, thanks to so many young people dying of infectious diseases. Now I can expect my kids to live into adulthood. Stupid government regulations.

Actually its very likely that you can now expect your kids to live less than you.

Yes, but due to preventable diseases that occur late in adulthood. That's a big difference imo, and one individuals have much more control over than contamination in the food supply.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Also risky to do. It's like Russian roulette. You might be fine, but there's a significant chance that you could come down with a life threatening disease that's completely preventable by eating fully cooked meat or pasteurized milk.

Anyway, it's rather odd that humans drink milk in the first place. We're the only species that does so past infancy.

We do a lot of other odd things that other species don't do as well. One example would be cooking food.

Its Russian roulette to eat anything. Its so easy for food to get contaminated that you take a bigger risk when you eat a salad, if anything. Most food borne illnesses come from contaminated fruits and vegetables. There's no way to tell when your produce is contaminated, but it would be silly to avoid eating it all together.
  • ovenbird
    ovenbird Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Raw Milk? YES PLEASE!@!!!!

I live in Iowa and it is illegal to sell raw milk here. I was introduced to raw milk when in Missouri where it is legal to buy it at the farm where it is produced.

First, your raw milk should come from an organic pasture where there have been no chemicals to interfere with the healthy microbial actions of nature. I found such a place where the farm hand milks cows, puts the milk in sterilized jars, refrigerates it, and goes about the rest of his duties of the day. then, at the end of the day, the refrigerator is empty and the bowl on top is full of $5 bills. Trouble is, it is a 60 mile round trip partly on rough gravel roads.

Raw milk has protection from disease that comes from the preponderance of beneficial microbes in the milk from healthy cows that are not given antibiotics. The healthy microbes in raw milk are excellent for digestion. And raw milk is, as you say, glorious.

Like all foods, raw milk should be consumed in reasonable quantities.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Why would you consider it O.o You aren't a baby cow... =/ If all pasteurization does is kill the bacteria then why go for raw? If we are able to kill off the bad bacteria in the milk then we should do that.

*Serious question....why would you want to drink milk with the bacteria?

I'd just like to add that not every little microorganism is creeping into your body to kill you.

I have had raw milk as a child, and it does taste better. I haven't seen any around here, but it's illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption in Georgia. It's all labelled for pets. These days I drink whole milk because skim, 2%, etc makes me vomit OR have an equally unhappy occurrence from another location. I'm not lactose intolerant.
  • ovenbird
    ovenbird Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i have no axe to grind on this but why would you want raw milk over pastuerised milk?

Below is from the FDA

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
    While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reactions. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins. ~ Lactose is not a protein. It is a sugar.
    Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself. ~ There are studies suggesting otherwise.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value. ~ This is only by measuring calories, fat, protein and sugars in milk. It does kill enzymes that help make milk digestible and microbes that also aid in digestion/ absorption of nutrients. It all depends on how you look at "nutrition".
    Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened. ~Absolutely! Once pasturized, milk is highly susceptible to spoilage because the healthy bacteria are no longer there to compete with microbes that get in there once the milk is opened. There is more wiggle room with raw milk, and it can even be allowed to clabber and is still tasty and healthy.
    Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria. ~Yes, right along with the myriad healthful ones.
    Pasteurization DOES save lives. ????
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Oh, but I am a baby cow- have you seen my food diary?!? I LOVE fat, and I love real fat....and I like bacteria. It's good for your guts.