Strength Training (Not Cardio) is the Real Fat Burner?

Options
12346»

Replies

• alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This thread is (mostly) hilarious.

However - this needs to be said for a few of you:

LOSE is the opposite of GAIN - which is what you do with weight - you lose it or gain it.

LOOSE is the opposite of TIGHT - you can't really "tight" weight, now can you? Ergo - you cannot "loose" it.
    ^^This^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This thread is (mostly) hilarious.

Hilarity always ensues when people hijack a thread and don't bother with the OP. :laugh:
  • BigPapaLuke
    BigPapaLuke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've always viewed them (Strength Training and Cardio) as mutually exclusive, but I see the validity in the article in that when properly "strength training" you get more of a cardio workout. When people take 2 - 3 minute breaks between sets (or longer), they aren't getting that added cardio benefit. What I do to make strength training more of a cardiovascular workout is to take shorter breaks in between each set (no more than 30 - 60 seconds), or super set between two exercises. Nothing says "good agony" like doing a set of dumbell bench and following it up with a set of nose breakers.

That said, the proper way to burn fat is and drop weight is:

1) Diet
    2) Stength Training
    3) Cardio
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I like a combo of strength training and HIIT sprint intervals...if you want muscle you should probably keep cardio to a minimal as too much starts to eat away at your muscle gaines...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've always viewed them (Strength Training and Cardio) as mutually exclusive, but I see the validity in the article in that when properly "strength training" you get more of a cardio workout. When people take 2 - 3 minute breaks between sets (or longer), they aren't getting that added cardio benefit. What I do to make strength training more of a cardiovascular workout is to take shorter breaks in between each set (no more than 30 - 60 seconds), or super set between two exercises. Nothing says "good agony" like doing a set of dumbell bench and following it up with a set of nose breakers.

1) Diet
    2) Stength Training
    3) Cardio

I agreed with the article too. It's nice to know that someone else actually read it, since it was the purpose of this thread! :bigsmile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

1) Diet
    2) Stength Training
    3) Cardio

The increased HR that occurs with strength training is not the same as the increased HR that occurs w/cardio training. So, shortening recovery intervals to keep heart rate elevated is not very productive. You decrease the quality of the strength workout with little or no added cardio benefit.

The more you try to make a strength workout like cardio, the less effective it is as a strength workout. You might as well just do cardio.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I am still new to strength training and I want to absorb all info that I can:)