Alcohol. How can you resist?!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Yes it's real. Yes I'm 37. What's so hard to believe - I didn't think I was that unique...but now I feel special.

I do read, dabble in photography, watch comedies on TV etc. That doesn't make it impossible to have a drink at the same time. Most people tend to drink whilst doing something else with their mind. My original question was to wonder if there was an alternative to drinking whilst I did these other things to make them a bit more exciting/stimulating. I'm here because I want to be a bit more healthy and its going to have to be one step at a time. First cut down on booze, then increase the exercise, then maybe eat more/better.

Age is just a number and I don't judge people any differently based on their age.

Exactly. I couldn't tell you how many nights I sat down with a book and a bottle of wine. Or cleaned my house. Or cooked supper, walk the dogs, watch tv, you name it, hell i've even drank and worked out. Its really just as simple as drinking a glass of water. So just "getting a hobby" or "reading a book" isn't always the easy peasy solution people seem to think it is.

also..look into a milk thistle supplement. you liver will thank you!

On nights when I decide I won't drink and my brain wins out anyway and I find myself reaching for ice to fill my cup. I try to fill that glass with water. It helps.
  • monkeeface
    monkeeface Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok, quick update for anyone interested:

Since I started this thread 7 days ago, I have not had a single alcoholic drink. This is a milestone for me as it is the longest I've gone without some sort of alcohol since I was about 16 (so about 20 years).

Its been relatively easy although the weekend was tough. I've been drinking tons more fizzy water than usual which deals with the habit of actually drinking 'something'.

I've not really slept any better (I've never been a good sleeper) but I have gone to the gym a few times and, despite it still being dull, I've had more energy. The main benefit so far is that I feel much less bloated & probably look less bloated too.

Anyway, I'm going to remain alcohol free until 14th when my reward is a big weekend of drinking at a party. I'll probably only be a weekend drinker after that - and not always massive weekends!

So thanks for the advice everyone. It seems to have worked! Well, I'm not going to cut out alcohol all together but 5 fewer drinking days a week should make a difference to my health.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Since I started this thread 7 days ago, I have not had a single alcoholic drink. This is a milestone for me as it is the longest I've gone without some sort of alcohol since I was about 16 (so about 20 years).

Its been relatively easy although the weekend was tough. I've been drinking tons more fizzy water than usual which deals with the habit of actually drinking 'something'.

I've not really slept any better (I've never been a good sleeper) but I have gone to the gym a few times and, despite it still being dull, I've had more energy. The main benefit so far is that I feel much less bloated & probably look less bloated too.

Anyway, I'm going to remain alcohol free until 14th when my reward is a big weekend of drinking at a party. I'll probably only be a weekend drinker after that - and not always massive weekends!

So thanks for the advice everyone. It seems to have worked! Well, I'm not going to cut out alcohol all together but 5 fewer drinking days a week should make a difference to my health.

Hey that's great! Keep up the good work. You'll probably start to see the pounds come off too. :-)
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options

that's great! sounds like steps in the right direction!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear you are doing better- its a struggle without a doubt- no one can understand addictions unless they have been thru them.
    I won't give AA or addiction advice- except to say great job!

One thing I find I enjoy- sparkling water with a splash of Orange juice, or any kind of juice. Also love it with pomegranite or just lots of lime- very refreshing and keeps that glass filled. I used to do the half diet sprite/half OJ but still too many calories and wanted to get away from the diet drinks- this was a good choice