Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options
I have several friends/family who have had weight loss surgery and continually go one and on about how well they've done. You know, constant FB updates etc. I personally lost my weight without surgery.

I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this issue. Before you start blasting me (or each other) please note that this is intended to be a poll on what people think of weight loss surgery. Does surgery allow bragging rights?

Furthermore, I'm not putting down surgery as a viable medical alternative for those who may need it. Personally, I think it's over prescribed by the medical community/Insurance companies. However, thats my PERSONAL opinion, and I don't think less of anyone who may have that surgery.

Anyway, now that we've gotten that out of the way. Tell me what you think.

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I think weight loss surgery is a cop-out for individuals who still have mobility and the means to exercise/diet the weight off. I surely wouldn't brag if my success was a byproduct of a medical advancement (as opposed to my own willpower, hard work, and determination). That's just me. Sorry if I've offended anyone who has had surgery.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    For those who need it, it's literally a lifesaver. But they have to be willing to put in just as much work as anyone losing weight through more traditional means, because that's the only way to get good, long lasting results.

I don't understand the medical science behind it, but it seems there's some people who just don't process food in a normal way and for those people, this is the ONLY thing that's worked. That it's not just the simple matter of eating less and having a smaller stomach, but shortening the digestive process.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss surgery is a cop-out for individuals who still have mobility and the means to exercise/diet the weight off. I surely wouldn't brag if my success was a byproduct of a medical advancement (as opposed to my own willpower, hard work, and determination). That's just me. Sorry if I've offended anyone who has had surgery.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself! KUDOS
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I agree with this!!
  • ZillyPaul
    Options
    If someone does not have the mental ability to save themselves, then surgery is probably the only option left for those people. We've no rite to judge anyone. No one is perfect.
  • ZillyPaul
    Options
    btw, I am doing it naturally. its f'n HARD. But that doesnt make me better then anyone else.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Diet is the best way. All the benefits, none of the side effects or medical expenses.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know (all two of them) who have had the surgery have gained all of the weight (and, in one case, even more) back. IMO, it's a waste of money and dangerous to one's health if the person isn't willing to make the necessary mental and emotional changes. No surgery can do that part.

Edited to add: In some cases, it is medically necessary to save a person's life. Then I can see it as a viable option. But again, the person needs more than just surgery to correct the issues at hand. It's not just about being obese. No one just wakes up morbidly obese one day. Weight loss surgery candidates also need proper nutritional and psychological counseling.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My problem with the surgery is it doesn't get to the root of why the person gained all that weight to begin with. I have two friends who have had gastic bypass and another who has a lap band.

All three lost a tremendous amount of weight...initially. But all three gained back their weight over time. Because their reasons for overeating never changed.

I don't necessarily think there's a "better" way to lose weight...everyone has their own journey to walk...but the only way to acheive lasting weight loss is to find out WHY we gained all that weight to begin with. If we don't permanently change those habits, the weight will slowly creep back on.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger, I thought about having a consolation .. I even made the phone call just never went..

Instead I decided that I can get off my own *kitten* and begin learning and eating right.. The Results not only have transformed my body but also my mind, and that in my opinion is worth the time and effort....

Those who have yo yo before they decided to drop the cash and have the procedure just didn't want it bad enough in my opinion ..
    That same old way of thinking will be there long after the surgery is done, and while I know there are exceptions, the 4 people who I know personally have rebounded back to their old ways..

So essentially they bought the ability to become obese again .. Its sad really..

I am sure many who have had the procedure have been able to keep it off, but I vaguely remember reading a article that said the numbers are climbing in those who had the surgery are becoming obese once again ...

Weight loss is a journey, and part of that journey is also changing your mind. With out changing your mind there can never be lasting change in your body ..
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think that having weight loss surgery *sometimes* solves the problem of being overweight (because a lot of people gain it back), but it doesn't resolve the issues people have with eating healthy, being able to control their eating, and the emotional problems behind eating so much. It's forcing yourself to eat less, but with people who have exhausted their options, it's not the worst choice to make. That said, I support exercise and portion control over any surgery.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well generally if someone has surgery, they are doing a forced diet and they often do exercise.

I had a close relative who had surgery and her diet was horrendous prior. I don't know her high weight but I know it was above 400 lbs. She lost weight initially but then started to gain it back when she got sick with an unrelated illness.

I don't blame people that consider surgery. I'm personally scared of surgery but I won't say I haven't thought about it. I've struggled all my life with losing this weight and until my early 30s, 300 lbs was my lowest adult weight. I know at least the most common surgery allows your body to absorb less calories which means you can eat slightly more and maintain/lose weight. I think if you've been dieting for 20+ years, you might think of it as a last ditch effort and decide to go for it.

I think though that I can get to a happier weight on my own and I don't have any medical issues related to my weight. I also would be ok with a higher than normal goal weight.
  • CorinneSharpe
    Options
    Surgery is by no means an easy way out. Yes. I had it. I'm not lazy, was never lazy (overweight - heck yes i was!!)... some people really do need this TOOL!! After the initial weight loss, for some, this TOOL doesn't give them an advantage anymore... in fact it causes so many other issues that i don't recommend it unless there is NO other way! However, to bad mouth it is really... horrible. Sorry!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My wife had gastric bypass 2 years ago at age 48.
    She's down 100 lbs. Her asthma is gone. Her back issues are gone. Her feet issues are gone. She's a regular gym goer now.
    She wen't from napping as her favorite part of camping to backpacking for 3 days on the Appalachian trail.

She exercised, dieted and fought her way through a lifetime of obesity. In the end, it was winning and it was killing her.
    Now I get to have my wife in to my old age and my kids get to have a mother that doesn't have to go to bed each evening after work because she's too sick/tired to be a mother.

Second best decision she ever made...after marrying me, of course.

If you're in your 20s and think it's a cop out, I suggest you give it another couple of decades.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I did both.

I say surgery is the wrong way.

I was overweight since I was 18...at 29 and 323 pounds I had gastric bypass. Out-ate it. Seriously never learned a thing...lost 109 pounds because I couldn't eat...and when I could eat a Big Mac again, I was proud!?!?!

Finally after gaining back 55 and sitting there for a few years...last summer I decided to fix me. I have spent the last year changing my diet and exercising and now I love biking, hiking and doing everything! The 68 pounds in my ticker...those are lost from hard work and I am proud of them. The surgery makes me mad...and I only share this part because I hate to see people go through it when they gotta have the determination and willpower and self control to keep it off...so if you have that...you can lose it yourself in the first place!

Plus I have chronic anemia and other deficiencies from the surgery that I am constantly battling. Never woulda had to do it. But I never honestly tried.

Edited to add...my husband got on board and hit his goal last fall of 40 pounds loss...my oldest daughter and parents also joined in and are all now at healthy weights. :)
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

I totally agree. Such a cop out. Had a friend considering surgery last year. Posted on FB and because of all the negative feedback about it she decided to do it the old fashion way. To date she has lost 100 pounds by diet and exercise alone. And she raves about her results... I think its insane to try for a quick fix. Not to mention all the loose skin one then has to deal with because they can't exercise and lost too quickly. Sorry if it offends.
  • CorinneSharpe
    Options
    Thank you!! And... in your 20s, it can be necessary!
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    If someone does not have the mental ability to save themselves, then surgery is probably the only option left for those people. We've no rite to judge anyone. No one is perfect.

I disagree with this because if the reasons why one over eats is not addressed then all the shriking of the stomach in the world is not going to stop the overeating. Many gain most if not all the weight back because they don't deal with the reason why they overeat. And the ones who fail will tell you that. No one is judging them. Just saying the surgery doesn't always work
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    Everyone I know (all two of them) who have had the surgery have gained all of the weight (and, in one case, even more) back. IMO, it's a waste of money and dangerous to one's health if the person isn't willing to make the necessary mental and emotional changes. No surgery can do that part.

Edited to add: In some cases, it is medically necessary to save a person's life. Then I can see it as a viable option. But again, the person needs more than just surgery to correct the issues at hand. It's not just about being obese. No one just wakes up morbidly obese one day. Weight loss surgery candidates also need proper nutritional and psychological counseling.

KUDOS!!:drinker:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You still have to control your diet (there are a lot of completely off limit foods forever) and exercise before and after the surgery. I really don't get it. I've seen several people get various surgeries. Some haven't lost a single pound and some have lost a few, others lost a lot but then packed it right back on. Waste of time, money, and health risks. IMO.