Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss surgery is a cop-out for individuals who still have mobility and the means to exercise/diet the weight off. I surely wouldn't brag if my success was a byproduct of a medical advancement (as opposed to my own willpower, hard work, and determination). That's just me. Sorry if I've offended anyone who has had surgery.
    It may seem like a cop-out, but in reality it takes a lot of willpower and work post-surgery. I always laugh at people who think surgery is easy. If you have the will and determination to make it through and post-surgery, then you have the will and determination to do it yourself. Stomach surgery is an ugly thing that I wouldn't ever consider.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are all "But so-and-so in my life had the surgery and they're not even trying!!", have you realized how many people in this thread have had the surgery? And yet we're here, because we *know* we're not finished with our journey and that we still have a lot of hard work to put in. So maybe you should remember that the next time you want to start using anecdotal evidence of why surgery is just so awful.

Are we perfect? Of course not. I still eat like crap some days (and I've been really horrible this last month or so due to an insane amount of traveling), but I'm still here, just like all of you.

For those people that use surgery as a tool and make to choice to address their issues with food, I commend them. But I think what many people are saying on here is that people that do make the required lifestyle changes after bariatric surgery are rare.

There are many people are going for surgery as a quick fix where they haven't addressed their food issues.
  • KipDrordy
    Options
    For those of you who are all "But so-and-so in my life had the surgery and they're not even trying!!", have you realized how many people in this thread have had the surgery? And yet we're here, because we *know* we're not finished with our journey and that we still have a lot of hard work to put in. So maybe you should remember that the next time you want to start using anecdotal evidence of why surgery is just so awful.

Are we perfect? Of course not. I still eat like crap some days (and I've been really horrible this last month or so due to an insane amount of traveling), but I'm still here, just like all of you.
    Tell everyone what your life is like post-surgery. It isn't roses from what I've read. You have to take daily supplements and eating "normal" is almost impossible. That's a terrible position to put yourself in. You took a big risk in just going under the knife. We're not talking about pulling a wisdom tooth. We're talking about cutting into your belly and pinching off your stomach. I'd also like to add that there's no guarantee of long term success. Carnie Wilson and Roseanne Barr had the surgery and still gained their weight back. How much did that surgery cost you? Would you do it again knowing now what it was going to be like? I'm curious.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

For those people that use surgery as a tool and make to choice to address their issues with food, I commend them. But I think what many people are saying on here is that people that do make the required lifestyle changes after bariatric surgery are rare.

There are many people are going for surgery as a quick fix where they haven't addressed their food issues.

You're all saying it's rare based on anecdotal evidence. How rare is it to keep weight off after dieting and exercising and losing it the "right/hard" way?

Maintaining weight loss is a life-long commitment for *anyone*, regardless of how they lost the weight.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Looking at this forum and how many people ask questions about this or that diet, or this or that pill, or exercise program that will almost magically help you lose weight I think it's a very human thing to want to be able to make this very hard battle a bit easier.
    What's wrong with that? Seriously, how great would it be if you could add a calculator to your stomach and every time you've eaten your calories for the day it automatically shuts down, letting no more food in. Everyone would be at the right weight.

Well, tough luck, cause loosing weight is hard, the process is simple, but actually doing it is hard. So what if someone finds a way that makes it that bit easier for them. If surgery helps a person have a better life, great for them! And telling them off for being lazy? What good does that do? So maybe they've taken the slightly less steep path to the top of the hill, at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is that you get there. And stay there, but that's difficult for everyone, surgery or no, over 90% fail.

If someone feels surgery is the way for them, that's fine. Whatever works.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    My wife had gastric bypass 2 years ago at age 48.
    She's down 100 lbs. Her asthma is gone. Her back issues are gone. Her feet issues are gone. She's a regular gym goer now.
    She wen't from napping as her favorite part of camping to backpacking for 3 days on the Appalachian trail.

She exercised, dieted and fought her way through a lifetime of obesity. In the end, it was winning and it was killing her.
    Now I get to have my wife in to my old age and my kids get to have a mother that doesn't have to go to bed each evening after work because she's too sick/tired to be a mother.

Second best decision she ever made...after marrying me, of course.

If you're in your 20s and think it's a cop out, I suggest you give it another couple of decades.

^^ This.

There are those who will diet themselves down to a healthy weight and then eat themselves back up again. Weight loss surgery patients are the same way. Some people are really ready to change and some aren't. Whether you have surgery or you diet, you can still learn to be successful or not.
  • abberbabber
    Options

Tell everyone what your life is like post-surgery. It isn't roses from what I've read. You have to take daily supplements and eating "normal" is almost impossible. That's a terrible position to put yourself in. You took a big risk in just going under the knife. We're not talking about pulling a wisdom tooth. We're talking about cutting into your belly and pinching off your stomach. I'd also like to add that there's no guarantee of long term success. Carnie Wilson and Roseanne Barr had the surgery and still gained their weight back. How much did that surgery cost you? Would you do it again knowing now what it was going to be like? I'm curious.

The surgery cost me about $200 all told, so the monetary cost wasn't that significant. I had the lap-band, so the risks associated with my particular surgery were much lower than those associated with the bypass.

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot I can't eat, as long as I eat slowly and pay attention to how I'm eating. I take a normal multi-vitamin, so that's not really a big deal.

Yes, I would do it again. It hurt like a mother, and I hated the liquid diet, but it honestly changed my life. I have a family history of everything from heart disease to high blood pressure to diabetes....on both sides of my family. My PCP basically told me that if I didn't do something drastic, I'd probably die at a very young age. She was actually extremely excited when I told her I wanted the surgery.
  • KipDrordy
    Options

The surgery cost me about $200 all told, so the monetary cost wasn't that significant. I had the lap-band, so the risks associated with my particular surgery were much lower than those associated with the bypass.

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot I can't eat, as long as I eat slowly and pay attention to how I'm eating. I take a normal multi-vitamin, so that's not really a big deal.

Yes, I would do it again. It hurt like a mother, and I hated the liquid diet, but it honestly changed my life. I have a family history of everything from heart disease to high blood pressure to diabetes....on both sides of my family. My PCP basically told me that if I didn't do something drastic, I'd probably die at a very young age. She was actually extremely excited when I told her I wanted the surgery.
    $200? Health insurance must have covered the rest. How heavy were you?
  • abberbabber
    Options

$200? Health insurance must have covered the rest. How heavy were you?

Yes, I was lucky in that I had awesome health insurance at the time :)

I started out over 365, I'm down to 285. I stalled at about 295 and then it was Thanksgiving and then Christmas and then....:laugh: But I promised myself I'd get back on track, so here I am!
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss surgery is a cop-out for individuals who still have mobility and the means to exercise/diet the weight off. I surely wouldn't brag if my success was a byproduct of a medical advancement (as opposed to my own willpower, hard work, and determination). That's just me. Sorry if I've offended anyone who has had surgery.

took the words right out of my mouth
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I personally lost my weight without surgery.

Well done! Congrats! and I share your frustration with friends who like to brag but didnt do the work...
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Unless it's extreme I don't, personally, believe in surgery.

Surgery gets rid of the fat, or it limits stomach capacity, but it doesn't change the eating habits. I've read more then one story of people who've had a gastric band surgery and ate themselves to death - literally had food still in their gullets. One only has to look at Kerry Katona (a British celebratory for some reason) who regularly has liposuction but can't control or regulate her eating to keep the weight off- her up and down body of hers is an obsession of same crap mags over here.

For me you need to change your attitude towards everything- yes I could get off a stop early and make it in time and actually use my legs or nah, I don't need that extra serving. I have rethought how I do everything from eating and exercising right to how and what I spend my money on, which have done me the world of good. Even more so you appreciate what you've done, you've literally put blood sweat and tears into the loss, so you'll keep that off and know how to redeem yourself if you go wrong.

Also, from where I stand, there's a difference between my attitude to food and eating. I still have the same food but I EAT it differently. I still have brioche and chocolate and loose but it's due to how I'm eating it.

Surgery doesn't change your attitude towards the vital things, eating (not food!) and exercise, so you're destined to put it back on.
  • frando
    Options

Surgery gets rid of the fat, or it limits stomach capacity, but it doesn't change the eating habits. I've read more then one story of people who've had a gastric band surgery and ate themselves to death - literally had food still in their gullets. One only has to look at Kerry Katona (a British celebratory for some reason) who regularly has liposuction but can't control or regulate her eating to keep the weight off- her up and down body of hers is an obsession of same crap mags over here.

For me you need to change your attitude towards everything- yes I could get off a stop early and make it in time and actually use my legs or nah, I don't need that extra serving. I have rethought how I do everything from eating and exercising right to how and what I spend my money on, which have done me the world of good. Even more so you appreciate what you've done, you've literally put blood sweat and tears into the loss, so you'll keep that off and know how to redeem yourself if you go wrong.

Also, from where I stand, there's a difference between my attitude to food and eating. I still have the same food but I EAT it differently. I still have brioche and chocolate and loose but it's due to how I'm eating it.

Surgery doesn't change your attitude towards the vital things, eating (not food!) and exercise, so you're destined to put it back on.

Just reading some above posts, maybe I'm generalising my view on surgery a bit. I have full respect for people that do have the surgery and then follow it up correctly- there's just so much bad press for those who don't. Sorry if I've offended anyone.
  • abberbabber
    Options

I am not going to judge because everyone has their own reasons for having surgery or not having surgery. I have mine. While once a consideration I decided it was not for me or at least not at this moment. I see people having surgery as a "quick" fix to obesity issues. After the surgery they go back to the same destructive habits of getting a dozen doughnuts and eating them. In May, before my doctor admitted me into the hospital for cardiac related issues (I am 33 mind you and to young for that) I sat there and cried and told him why I hadnt fully committed to it. I remember telling him I hadnt learned life changing habits that would make it successful for me. Now I am classified as morbidly obese, history of hypertension and pre-diabetic. I think I would have qualified to have surgery but I wanted to be a success story. No one is putting anyone down...at least I wasnt. I was just stating my reasons for not wanting surgery and my thought process on the matter.

And that's your choice to make, and I would never tell anyone they were wrong. My issue is with the people saying "Ugh, it's such a cop out for lazy people who just aren't going to do the hard work and gain it all back, and I know this because my uncle's roommate's sister's dogwalker had the surgery and gained it back!"
  • abberbabber
    Options

Just reading some above posts, maybe I'm generalising my view on surgery a bit. I have full respect for people that do have the surgery and then follow it up correctly- there's just so much bad press for those who don't. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Well and that bad press is the problem, isn't it? It's just like you hear about all the horrible things people of a certain religion do, but how often does the press cover the good stuff?

"So and so had WLS and has kept it off for 10 years!" just isn't as juicy a headline as "OMG look who's fat AGAIN!!!!"
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I think for some people the surgery is medically necessary. We are talking about people who have lost the ability to properly diet and exercise and for whom death is an impending reality.

That being said, we live in a society which all to often looks for a silver bullet solution. We want a pill to fix that and a cream to fix this and we want it now. The weight loss industry caters to this.

I think that surgery is over prescribed and over performed. In many cases, the patients ignore the risks to get the gratification of being skinny. They may look like a million dollars but at what cost\risk? What are the long term side effects? I think the weight loss industry should be sanctioned\controlled such that the products they sell need to be medically proven by an independent medical body. It is almost criminal what some of these products advertise.

Having lost the weight the old fashioned way, I know it can be done, diet and exercise a hard road to follow. But sometimes following the hard road leads to its own rewards. I can boast I lost 100+ pounds and am very proud of that fact. Can someone who had the surgery be as proud of the weight they lost? (oh look at me I could afford 50 pounds of lipo? Or a gastric bypass?)

Lastly... assuming I am not hit by a bus, who do you suppose will live longer? Me (who lost 100 pounds the hard way) or someone who did it surgically? Looking for busses now... I think the odds are in my favor.
  • frando
    Options

Well and that bad press is the problem, isn't it? It's just like you hear about all the horrible things people of a certain religion do, but how often does the press cover the good stuff?

"So and so had WLS and has kept it off for 10 years!" just isn't as juicy a headline as "OMG look who's fat AGAIN!!!!"

That's why I tend to stay away from those things. Personally if a magazine has anything like a fad diet or highlight the weight loss or gain of a celebratory then I don't read it- currently I'm just down to Glamour who coincidentally have been promoting loosing weight properly (at leas the UK one has).

Unfortunately the media has alot of power of people's opinions, I try to take it all with a pinch of salt but there are times you can't help but go 'f*** me, really??' when you see the headlines of some of these.

Shows like 'Supersize vs Superskinny' I think are good, not great, as they do highlight bad eating on both sides (ie dangerously over and under weight).
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I would do it again, and again, and again. My life is actually pretty nice. I don't barf, and I don't eat crap food. I eat on plan, which means protein forward, small portions, and low carbs. No bread, rice, or pasta. Do I miss it? No, and I don't miss weighing 314 pounds either.

I have lost, in addition to 120 pounds, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high triglycerides, and high lipids. For all the horror stories you hear, let me tell you about the many post ops who are doing well. We aren't all food crazed monsters with no self control or will power. If losing weight was a matter of will power alone, I'd weigh 120 pounds, since I have a will like cast iron.

Lots of judgment flying around with folks putting restrictions on who can have surgery under what circumstances. I think it's far better to see someone DO something about their weight and health. So it's not what you would do. So what?

Variety is the spice of life. And ANYONE can gain it back no matter the method they used to take it off.

Flame away.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I would do it again, and again, and again. My life is actually pretty nice. I don't barf, and I don't eat crap food. I eat on plan, which means protein forward, small portions, and low carbs. No bread, rice, or pasta. Do I miss it? No, and I don't miss weighing 314 pounds either.

I have lost, in addition to 120 pounds, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high triglycerides, and high lipids. For all the horror stories you hear, let me tell you about the many post ops who are doing well. We aren't all food crazed monsters with no self control or will power. If losing weight was a matter of will power alone, I'd weigh 120 pounds, since I have a will like cast iron.

Lots of judgment flying around with folks putting restrictions on who can have surgery under what circumstances. I think it's far better to see someone DO something about their weight and health. So it's not what you would do. So what?

Variety is the spice of life. And ANYONE can gain it back no matter the method they used to take it off.

Flame away.

^^
    I had no doubt about my wife's success because she is such a strong willed person as well.
    What amazes me is how many people here, of all places, think weight loss is just a matter of will power.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Just to put things in perspective---I am 52 years old and had weight loss surgery when i was 50 yrs old.

I was overweight as a toddler dispite being fed healthfully and being very active. My two older siblings were less active, ate the same diet as myself and were of normal size.

If it is just as simple as "diet" and "exercise" then why was i overweight from the time I was a toddler and my siblings were not????

Now imagine that you became morbidly obese and for nearly 50 years you were right here on MFP trying to lose that weight. You exercised as best you could at 325lbs, you tried to make healthy food choices, and still you were not able to reach a reasonable level of health.

Every year you became sicker and every year you had more and more health problems. And this continued for nearly 50 YEARS!!!!

WHAT WOULD YOU DO????

Would you continue fthe same thing you've failed at for 50 years for the last few years you have left??? would you stay on the MFP eating and exercise approach or would you get desparate to reclaim the last years of life that you have left??

I chose to have weightloss surgery, I chose a new approach to weight loss, I chose LIFE---whatever the cost. For I was running out of time and the life I was living was not worth living.

Now i do ZUMBA 5 times a week, I kayak, run 5Ks, I lift weights, I travel and I am LIVING the full and active live I always desired. Not all of the individuals you see that are morbidly obese are lazy. I am finally living ---and yes I am proud of my decision and proud of my hard work. In your misinformation, You may think that the weight just falls off, but there is alot more to the healing process than that. It takes mental, spiritual and physical healing and strength to go the route of weightloss surgery.

It is not right for everyone, and not everyone will find success in this approach. But, look at the statistics of the diet and exercise industry. It is estimated that at least 85% regain after traditional weightloss plans and most regain more than their initial starting weight. The number that regain after weightloss surgery is significantly lower, and most that regain do not regain back to their starting weight.

Never say "never"--50 years is a very long time to try and fail.