Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i have lost over 170 lbs 150 100lbs multi times with out surgery i am 54 and was put on bp med and blood suger meds that work against you losing weight my decision cam with alot heartach of "giving up" but as a started with a program to have wls the truth came this is the hardest damm diet/weigthloss plan i ever have done its very easy to go off track this is only a tool to make it work kinda like a gym lol for body builders it doesnt automaticly make you skinny for life and we all know it so high 5/s congrats thataboy to anyone that puts there life at risk to have it done its only a tool not a cure i look at it as leveling the planing field and if your not lived as along as me and have lost and gained as much as me please do not judge to each there own and congrats to themfor doing what ever it takes to stay alive and yes thats why i did it as most of us wls people have
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    d
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    <---- Cheater, Cop Out, Loser, Magic Pill Popper, etc.

Call me what you will, but I have worked my *kitten* off for the 128 pounds that I've lost. I've spent HOURS planning meals. I've spent HOURS at the gym getting it in. I read every label on every thing I put into my mouth. I've had nutritional counselling. I've had personal trainers. Did my surgeon lose that 128 pounds for me? Did my trainer? My nutritionist? NO. *I* did it. Me. That is all.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people stating that they "tried every diet out there" before getting the surgery. I think that's the issue.. a lot of people tried to fad DIET their way out of it and didn't deal with their overeating issues upfront.

If you have an overeating issue, you shouldn't resolve that by removing most of your stomach. Go through therapy and FIGHT to avoid the cravings. It's completely possible.. to say that you /had/ to get part of your stomach removed to lose weight seems silly to me. That is why people say it's the "easy way out". Everybody knows that surgery itself is not fun or easy.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I am always tickled by those that have the surgery and say "it was the only way that I could lose weight". Correct me if I am wrong, but unless it was liposuction, the sugery did not "remove or result in removing weight from your body". What weight was lost was done so by not having the ability to eat in a way that would cause you to gain weight and actually forcing you into eating an amount that would result you losing weight?
  • free2live72003
    Options
    You asked that someone "correct you if you are wrong"--you are wrong if the person had a RNY weightloss surgery. The surgery can change your hormonal function and cause your body to respond differently to the food you eat. That is why some people no longer have diabetes immediately after their surgery--- not, after losing the weeight, but before even leaving the hospital.

This surgery doesn't just make your stomach smaller so you cannot eat as much, but also changes your bowel and the way your body absorbs the food you eat--so, it is forcing your body to work differently than before hormonaly as well as functionally.

That is why it is now being considered as a surgery that can possibly cure diabetes Type 2.

So many people on this site have so much to say about something they know nothing about!!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Call me what you will, but I have worked my *kitten* off for the 128 pounds that I've lost. I've spent HOURS planning meals. I've spent HOURS at the gym getting it in. I read every label on every thing I put into my mouth. I've had nutritional counselling. I've had personal trainers. Did my surgeon lose that 128 pounds for me? Did my trainer? My nutritionist? NO. *I* did it. Me. That is all.

If YOU did it then why did you have to have the surgery to get you there? Give credit where it is due-sorry you don't deserve it all. That's like saying the recovered alcoholic who takes topomax which makes them sick when they drink has gotten sober on his/her own. Or like saying that someone who has cheated on a test by sneaking in notes and then passes the test has done it "all on his own"--yeah maybe they've done it but the triumph is much different than someone who's done it without assistance or by sheer inner strength.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Most people talk about overeating as the cause to obesity. As one who presently weighs in at 451, but was 478 about a month ago, I don't think that's it. I think it's eating the WRONG things. Over the past month, I have retrained myself to enjoy cooked and raw fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and monounsaturated fats (along with the occasional ice cream cone and Godiva chocolate). I truly have not felt deprived more than a handful of times in the past month, and have usually felt over full from the volume of food I'm eating. And eating DIFFERENT instead of eating LESS has made 27 pounds worth of difference in 35 days. I know that will slow down. When it does, I will address the volume issue. But for now, it is a real pleasure to enjoy the natural sweetness of a carrot, or a strawberry, instead of wrinkling up my nose and saying those foods are boring. I don't know if this program will work, but I sure as heck am willing to keep trying while it does.
    Options
    The bodybuilder or athlete on steroids who gets incredibly strong and fit--is that on their own? They still have to work out don't they? I bet you'd say it's NOT ..this is a comparable situation. Not the same but comparable. You'll never be the best, steroids or not, without hard work but that doesn't detract from the fact that you got help. It wasn't all within you to be the person you ended up when you have external help (I.e. surgery, steroids, etc)
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Just one other thought---

how many of you ladies had an epidural when you delivered your child?

Shame on you--you cheater, you did not do it the natural way---you took a short cut, the easy way out, you didn't really experience the pain of childbirth. You can't brag on that baby because you didn't do it naturally.

How foolish--celebrate your child and that you are healthy and happy and forget the rest!!!!
    Options
    Just one other thought---

how many of you ladies had an epidural when you delivered your child?

Shame on you--you cheater, you did not do it the natural way---you took a short cut, the easy way out, you didn't really experience the pain of childbirth. You can't brag on that baby because you didn't do it naturally.

How foolish--celebrate your child and that you are healthy and happy and forget the rest!!!!

I don't think anyone walks around saying "yay me for delivering my baby" do you? They're proud of the child--not the fact that they experienced pain. Much different than someone wanting a pat on the back for losing weight via surgery.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think the thing is, it's an INDIVIDUAL choice for each person. Someone very close to me to had gastric when she was around 400lbs ( though she is 5 foot 11.... it still was way too much for her body to handle. ) ....she got down to a low of 237, and then has struggled with it on and off....she got back to over 300 and has been fighting to get it off again. She has a host of other medical issues, and can't eat a lot of the healthy foods, specifically greens we take for granted. But it has added years to her life.

For me, my doctor has asked me in nearly EVERY visit... if i would consider it because the weight loss has been so tough for me. I KNOW it is not the right choice for me. Anytime I have ever prayed about it...thought about it etc... I have never had any peace. So I will keep walking forward, and fighting hard to get healthy. I can't say for certain I won't ever consider weight loss assisted by the medical community, but right now, it's NOT the option for me.

That being said, NEITHER road is an easy one. BOTH require a huge life change. Don't judge people for going the surgical route if that's the only one that seems feasible to them. It is a life saver in a lot of ways for those who physically are too big to trully exercise, or who's other health issues interfere.

Will some people take advantage of it? Yes. I have a former coworker who was just under the BMI...and so guzzled down tons of cals to PURPOSELY gain. But she is NOT the norm. ( and she is one that is now gaining it back. She never changed her unhealthy habits! )

Weight loss is trully NOT as simple as calories in, calories out. If it was? I would be at goal NOW. But my body has revolted against all the work, all the supposed mathmatical formulas... and so I keep trying different things to get it listen to the fact it needs to, wants to be healthy. A lot of people WOULD have decided for surgery... 3.5 years into all this work and *only* this far. But right now, it's not something that gives me peace.

Being overweight has ruined my life...for so long...and I lost a precious relationship recently partially due to it. But I'm still fighting this my way, because it's for ME...no one else. If I had had the surgery, I would have likely been at my goal for a year or two now. But then again, maybe there is something that is telling me I would have to many health issues after it to enjoy the outcome...so I need to do it this way.

We need to support people...HOWEVER they do it. It's thier bodies they are stuck in. It's thier health. And it's not easy either way, so YES..they DO deserve *bragging rights* for getting healthy. They have taken a great mental and emotional step to find thier health...and it doesn;t change that because they have chosen to go the surgical route. Not what many of us would choose, but also not a cop out for most.

Support people, love them. Be GLAD they are healthier now. However it comes about.Do what is best for YOUR body.. but remember we all have different roads to travel. :heart:
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options

If YOU did it then why did you have to have the surgery to get you there? Give credit where it is due-sorry you don't deserve it all. That's like saying the recovered alcoholic who takes topomax which makes them sick when they drink has gotten sober on his/her own. Or like saying that someone who has cheated on a test by sneaking in notes and then passes the test has done it "all on his own"--yeah maybe they've done it but the triumph is much different than someone who's done it without assistance or by sheer inner strength.

I could have easily done what many other people have done- Had the surgery and done nothing with it, ate around it, whatever. I didn't do that. I put in the work. I lost the weight and I'm still losing the weight. I'm sorry, but I was 340 pounds. A type II diabetic with high blood pressure, epilepsy and bad knees. If you think that my weight loss and those of others who had wls has nothing to do with "sheer inner strength", you are sadly mistaken.

If anyone asks how I've lost, I tell them. I don't claim to have done it the "right" way, the HARD way. I did what was right for me and mine. And yes, I did it.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If you have tried EVERYTHING in your power to lose weight, and there is a known medical condition that you have that is stopping you from losing weight, and if your weight is stopping you from being healthy then surgery might be the way to go. I know people who only semi, kind of dieted and then went to their doctor telling them they can't lose weigh. A doctor can take blood tests and track how you're trying to lose weight, but they do not go home with you to see what you're really eating and to see the number of calories you're burning. It's so easy to fudge diaries and numbers, it's not easy to fudge blood tests/medical tests. It's a cop-out to use the surgery to get you to lose the weight when you never even tried in the first place, and it disgusts me. Not to mention the harm you put your body through... people who have surgery will never be the same again. They'll most likely have medical issues form it for the rest of their life. I think unless surgery is absolutely necessary it should be the last option thought about. Half dieting or half exercising then calling it quits does not mean that you can't lose weight. It takes some serious dedication and determination, but it's so doable. There are so many success stories on here of how people lost 100-200+ lbs all natural, and it's amazing... it CAN be done!! For those surgeries, you have to typically lose so much weight before you can have the surgery, so if you're able to drop 30-40 lbs in 3 months to have the surgery, I think you've perfectly capable of dropping all of the weight on your own.
    Just my own opinion!
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Sadly, every friend I know who went this route put it all back (and I know a fair few- I live in New Orleans, everyone loves to eat and drink here). You have to change your entire eating process and while they DO at first, they all go right back to it. Perhaps it's the psychological challenge of losing the weight "the old fashion way" that prepares you to keep it off. Your habits develop over the weightloss process. If it's a life saving things, omg do it. But if you're looking for the fast route, consider just taking the slow route. You also need many other procedures after the weight loss surgery because the weight is lost so quickly (skin sags, you need tucks, etc. It's very expensive and painful).
  • dawnie1313
    dawnie1313 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I have gone to TWO info meetings about this over the years and I dont mind admitting is in the corner of my brain as a last ditch option.

I think the surgery CAN save lives but it rarely, in my experience, FIXES the problem. NOT always. Some people have found great success with it. They get active. They get healthy.

In my world, and its a close world, that is not the case.

My sister had the full gastric bypass in December 2010. She was about 390 pounds.

My mother followed in May of 2011. She was 250 pounds. Neither of them have EVER eaten right or been active. Both of them were in poor health. My sister was 41 and the doctors gave her a five year lifespan if she did NOT lose weight.

I have very strong feelings about the surgery. I think there is a time and a place for it. But at the heart of it all YOU STILL HAVE TO DO THE WORK. Period. And if you arent willing to do it NOW, why are you willing to do it after you cut yourself up?

My sister has been lucky. She lost 120 pounds and so far she has not started to gain. But she REGULARLY drinks alcohol which she is not supposed to do, pop, and fast food. She has learned NOTHING. I fully expect her to regain at some point. ANd she is forever telling people how "Hard" her journey has been.

My mother is doing better. She recently regained 9 pounds and her doctor gave her the what for. She just last week joined weight watchers and is down two pounds. She has lost over 100 over all and I am proud of her for trying to learn to do it the right way.

But here is the question I always ask them AND myself when I start thinking that surgery is the answer.

After going through alllllllllllllllllllllll that pain and recuperating, and STILL having to learn to eat right, exercise and now going to Weight Watchers. What was the point? Why cut yourself up and permanently alter your insides if you are NOT going to follow the rules. If you WILL follow the rules, why not try it NOW on your own? ANd really try, not some half assed , ooh, I ate at McDonalds three times this week and cant figure out why the scale didnt go down??

I , like you, the original poster, feel its an over prescribed cure all that really doesnt fix the problem. Its another band aid over the wound that is our obesity epidemic.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

But here is the question I always ask them AND myself when I start thinking that surgery is the answer.

After going through alllllllllllllllllllllll that pain and recuperating, and STILL having to learn to eat right, exercise and now going to Weight Watchers. What was the point? Why cut yourself up and permanently alter your insides if you are NOT going to follow the rules. If you WILL follow the rules, why not try it NOW on your own? ANd really try, not some half assed , ooh, I ate at McDonalds three times this week and cant figure out why the scale didnt go down??

Exactly!!! Why not deal with the issues that made you overweight in the first place instead of going with such a drastic step. Especially considering WLS patients will end up having to do the same thing to maintain the weight loss anyway.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I have gone to TWO info meetings about this over the years and I dont mind admitting is in the corner of my brain as a last ditch option.

I think the surgery CAN save lives but it rarely, in my experience, FIXES the problem. NOT always. Some people have found great success with it. They get active. They get healthy.

In my world, and its a close world, that is not the case.

My sister had the full gastric bypass in December 2010. She was about 390 pounds.

My mother followed in May of 2011. She was 250 pounds. Neither of them have EVER eaten right or been active. Both of them were in poor health. My sister was 41 and the doctors gave her a five year lifespan if she did NOT lose weight.

I have very strong feelings about the surgery. I think there is a time and a place for it. But at the heart of it all YOU STILL HAVE TO DO THE WORK. Period. And if you arent willing to do it NOW, why are you willing to do it after you cut yourself up?

My sister has been lucky. She lost 120 pounds and so far she has not started to gain. But she REGULARLY drinks alcohol which she is not supposed to do, pop, and fast food. She has learned NOTHING. I fully expect her to regain at some point. ANd she is forever telling people how "Hard" her journey has been.

My mother is doing better. She recently regained 9 pounds and her doctor gave her the what for. She just last week joined weight watchers and is down two pounds. She has lost over 100 over all and I am proud of her for trying to learn to do it the right way.

I , like you, the original poster, feel its an over prescribed cure all that really doesnt fix the problem. Its another band aid over the wound that is our obesity epidemic.

Agree 100%. You make excellent points.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think that weight loss surgery is a viable option for the morbidly obese.

My GP suggested it for me when we were talking about weight loss, but I'd already done a fair bit of research on it and decided it wasn't a direction I wanted to go unless I had other medical conditions that would warrant it as a necessity. I didn't.

Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix and it's not easy. It can be life threatening surgery and recovery is not necessarily easy. Nor is life after the surgery.

There are two things that trouble me most about the surgery route. One, pre care and after care not focused on the physical aspects of the surgery and eating, but the mental aspects of what got the person to where they needed the surgery in the first place. And two, I've seen a lot of stories out there from people who were a heck of a lot smaller than I am who've had the surgery and I wonder why. I can only assume that there were medical conditions that are unmentioned to warrant it.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Surgery should only be used as a 100% last ditch effort for someone to lose weight (like if you're 800 pounds). But surgery doesn't change your mental status. You can lose a bunch of weight, but gain it back because you don't know how to eat properly. A lot of times, people stretch out their new stomachs because they continue binging and eating crap. I thought about surgery for a long time. But honestly, I think I was just way too lazy to put in the effort myself. Now, after losing nearly 75 pounds from my heaviest weight, I'm glad I didn't have surgery. Doing it yourself is so much more rewarding.