Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that generally people who have gastric bypass/lap band are put on a high protein/low carb/low fat diet, therefore they end up burning a lot of their own body fat. If this type of diet was first recommended to the patient and the protocol was strictly followed, then couldn't it save lots of people from thousands of dollars worth of surgery, not to mention the irreversible effects?

Second point: type II diabetes is reversed almost instantly (within a week give or take) after gastric bypass, again, mostly due to reduction of carbohydrate intake and fasting.

Either way I think a diet intervention would be much preferable. I haven't had it and hope to never have it, nor do I judge people who have. I just wish patients were more informed of the diet intervention previous to making the decision.

I know two people with lap band and never mentioned a special diet. One is one of my closest friends and she has had it for 2 years and has only lost 60 lbs on it. She's not committed to it and still eats junk. Sometimes to the point of making herself throw up from eating too much.

This is why I don't agree with surgery, one of the reasons anyway. You have to want weight loss, not just want what you think will be the easiest to get skinny.
  • andybhoy72
    andybhoy72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Personally, I see no bragging rights in losing weight. We gained the weight and all we're doing is setting is straight again.

Losing weight and keeping it off for a long period of time. Now THAT comes with bragging rights.

(Someone very close to me had a gastric bypass and went from 280lbs to 112lbs and has kept it off. They have never bragged, never boasted, they just get on with life. They lost 100lbs 3 times before gaining back and having the bypass out of desperation. Some people have judged them but it has given them the life they always wanted and they have shown no sign of regaining - even when pregnant she gained less than 10lbs).
  • blu143
    blu143 Posts: 27
    Options
    Personally, I see no bragging rights in losing weight. We gained the weight and all we're doing is setting is straight again.

Losing weight and keeping it off for a long period of time. Now THAT comes with bragging rights.

(Someone very close to me had a gastric bypass and went from 280lbs to 112lbs and has kept it off. They have never bragged, never boasted, they just get on with life. They lost 100lbs 3 times before gaining back and having the bypass out of desperation. Some people have judged them but it has given them the life they always wanted and they have shown no sign of regaining - even when pregnant she gained less than 10lbs).

Nice! Well said and a great outlook.
  • agonzalesjoy
    Options
    I have the Lap Band and I have lost 100 lbs. Before I had the Lap Band I struggled so much, I would lose 50 lbs and gain it all back within like 2 months. I struggled all my life with my weight. This has been the only thing that has helped me. No it does not work on its own, you still have to exercize and watch what yo eat, but it sure is easier than doing it on your own if you are like me. But even if you get the surgery you still have to want to lose weight in your head, because I have alot of friends that have had it and some do not do good at all, cause like anything else you learn how to cheat it. But Ive had it for 5 years and I do not regret getting it.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If people didnt rag on the ones that have gone the surgery path,then what ever will they harp on to make them feel like they are better than somebody else?
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I think surgery should be a very last resort.

I'm in the uk so any weight loss surgery would either be paid for privately or done on the NHS as health insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery over here. Instead of just paying for surgery I think people/the NHS should use the money to pay for a dietician and personal trainer instead. Try eating better and exercising. Then if after say 1-2 years that person still can't lose enough weight with those resources they should be able to have the surgery. I bet the percentage going on to have surgery if that was the case would be low.

Like many have said the surgery doesn't address the habits of over eating. Until they can fix someone mentally at the same time as physically I think I would try and avoid surgery at all costs.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I generally tend to look like an *kitten* when I get involved in these discussions.

My thoughts on the matter: Surgery is cheating. Diet changes are always a possibility, even for people who can't exercise - and let's be honest, what person can do absolutely zero exercising, forever?

I got myself into this fatness, it's my responsibility to work my *kitten* off to get out of it. Simple as that.

:flowerforyou:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents: I've seen too many people in my traversing through life who have had the surgery and gained back most if not all the weight within a few years. And, the person in my office had to have a 2nd bariatric procedure because the first one created all sorts of complications. At one point, she was pretty critical. I don't know. I think I'm glad it's available for those who need it to get to a healthier weight. But, it seems much too extreme for my sensibilities. I'd rather run my booty off than go under the knife.
  • bridgett28
    bridgett28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ok, personally these kinds of forums get offensive/defensive.

I had a gastric bypass in 2009. Through having the surgery i lost 114lbs. i gained 37 lbs back due to pregnancy in 2011. I now am down 17lbs of those 37lbs and the only thing surgery is helping me with now is eating less than what i used to be able to. I used to go to subway and eat a footlong and still be hungry. Now if I go i can barely finish a 6" sub or salad. From surgery I was able to become pregnant and have my first child after a years of infertility. I work my *kitten* off now in order to shed the remaining excess pounds left on my body. I have about 80lbs left till im at a normal weight. I work out at least three times a week, i am involved in other activities, I play with my kids (two step and one biological) and not get tired, and i continue to get better and eat better and live better. I would not be were I am at today if i didn't have the surgery - i am more active because of weighing less, I am in better health (no prediabities, no high blood pressure, no high cholestoral, no joint pain - esp from my ACL replacement, not back pain, etc).

Having the surgery is not easy and those who have made the decision to have should not be judged. They have made a decision to improve the quality of their life by what means necessary to them. I feel that I made the right decision for me. I personally don't care what others have to say about being for it or against it. I did it for me, not for others. It was not easy, is not easy, and never will be easy. The weight may come off easily the first few months because you barely eat, but after the 'honeymoon phase' you have to work just like any one else out there to keep the weight off and continue to lose.

However, I will agree that there are some people out there who have the surgery who have nevered tried to lose weight ever, and gain all the weight plus some back, but thats their choice for their body. No one should judge them or their decisions.

Are all of you who are against weight loss surgery against plastic surgery too?
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    beautifully said. I have family that has had it and it is so good to see the results. And like your wife they have their life back and have resolved many health issues.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I disagree with people who get the surgery who still have mobility. They are completely capable of losing the weight on their own but choose that route instead. I know many people argue that it's not an 'easy way out', which I can agree that surgery is a big deal, but we all put ourselves in this situation and need to WORK to get ourselves out of it and into a healthier lifestyle. Not just letting the surgery 'do the work for you' so to speak.

I can't help but see a lot of weakness in a person who got the surgery when it was not completely required for their condition. I know that may offend some people, but that's just how I feel.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have a dear friend who had surgery in June. She attended a party at my house shortly afterwards. After surveying the buffet, she looked at me and said "the people in my support group lied to me-they said I would lose the "want" to eat". She is younger than I, and has bad knees. Hers was a last ditch effort-both for weight loss, and to save her knees. She has lost 40 pounds, but is dealing with the aftermath of her surgery-and I fear has NOT really dealt with what we all know is such a huge part of our journey-being in the right place mentally.

I am on the path...but it took me a VERY long time to get here. I cannot judge-only go my own way.....
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I think both options are fine, but do believe developing a healthy eating and workout routine is a must. I've seen countless peole have the surgeries and then fall right back into there old habits, because they never took the time to learn a healthier habit. The surgery may be a quicker option, but the months and years it takes to lose the weight simply by eating right and exercise, build up will power. Of course there are situations where you may not have an option, but I think the majority of the people need to exahaust every other option.

My aunt had the surgery, funny thing is she had to lose 20 lbs before she could get it done, and shockingly eating healthy and working out she was able to lose that weight, I think she should of continued instead of opting for the surgery, but she got it done. Thankfully she is still keeeping the weight off, and has developed good eating habits, as well as a workout routine, but this seems to be less of the norm.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm in the uk so any weight loss surgery would either be paid for privately or done on the NHS as health insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery over here. Instead of just paying for surgery I think people/the NHS should use the money to pay for a dietician and personal trainer instead. Try eating better and exercising. Then if after say 1-2 years that person still can't lose enough weight with those resources they should be able to have the surgery. I bet the percentage going on to have surgery if that was the case would be low.

As far as I'm aware, that is how one of our big HMO providers in the US handles the surgery (Kaiser Permanente). You have to see a nutritionist, go to classes, get access to exercise classes, have a psychiatric review and then after a couple years, you are scheduled for surgery. I think most insurances require a number of steps and it can take people a year or 2 to have the surgery. I've also heard that many surgeons require a certain percentage of weight to be lost before the surgery.

The only reason I know this is because they offer the same for people who aren't interested in surgery but are obese. I took nutritional classes/exercise classes with people who were going for the surgery.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    First, the surgery doesn't fail, the patient does. If you aren't willing or able to make the required changes, it won't do you any good. Surgery is a tool, not a cure.

http://rainhoward.blogspot.com/2012/08/why-im-opting-for-bariatric-surgery.html

If you don't care for surgery that obviously is your personal choice, but it gives you no right what so ever to ridicule someone who does. Nor does it make you in any way better than that person.
  • Idaly51
    Idaly51 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a nurse and I have seen the miracles that have happened in people's lives because of weightloss surgery. I believe in it when someone is morbidly obese and needs to loose 100lbs or more. And in the end, life is too short...do whatever you think is right for you. Those who put down this kind of surgery are usually the ones that are just a few pounds overweight and think that everyone is the same and obese people are lazy. That is not so, specially when other conditions and even drugs like hormones and prednisone make you gain weight like it or not. Right now the lapband or the stapling of the stomach are minimally invasive, done outpatient and they work just as well but as any kind of surgery the person has to really be committed to follow the guidelines the professionals give him/her to make such surgeries a success.
  • mrtoaster
    mrtoaster Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Personally if it was offered to me now i would turn it down. I have started to learn about health and exercise and put these to practice and when I finally shift the weight it is going to be permanent. If you offered it to me before I started I would have considered it, but I would still have my bad habits and I think that I would have reverted back to my original weight over time.

But just because it's not right for me it doesn't mean that it's not right for someone else. If it helps someone lose weight and they feel that's what they need, then fair enough.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Ok, personally these kinds of forums get offensive/defensive.

I had a gastric bypass in 2009. Through having the surgery i lost 114lbs. i gained 37 lbs back due to pregnancy in 2011. I now am down 17lbs of those 37lbs and the only thing surgery is helping me with now is eating less than what i used to be able to. I used to go to subway and eat a footlong and still be hungry. Now if I go i can barely finish a 6" sub or salad. From surgery I was able to become pregnant and have my first child after a years of infertility. I work my *kitten* off now in order to shed the remaining excess pounds left on my body. I have about 80lbs left till im at a normal weight. I work out at least three times a week, i am involved in other activities, I play with my kids (two step and one biological) and not get tired, and i continue to get better and eat better and live better. I would not be were I am at today if i didn't have the surgery - i am more active because of weighing less, I am in better health (no prediabities, no high blood pressure, no high cholestoral, no joint pain - esp from my ACL replacement, not back pain, etc).

Having the surgery is not easy and those who have made the decision to have should not be judged. They have made a decision to improve the quality of their life by what means necessary to them. I feel that I made the right decision for me. I personally don't care what others have to say about being for it or against it. I did it for me, not for others. It was not easy, is not easy, and never will be easy. The weight may come off easily the first few months because you barely eat, but after the 'honeymoon phase' you have to work just like any one else out there to keep the weight off and continue to lose.

However, I will agree that there are some people out there who have the surgery who have nevered tried to lose weight ever, and gain all the weight plus some back, but thats their choice for their body. No one should judge them or their decisions.

Are all of you who are against weight loss surgery against plastic surgery too?
    I can respect your choice, and would never bash someone, I more would like to see those that opt for the surgery to have a ligetiment reason, I'm not saying you didn't because I don't know your whole sotry, but a lot of people I feel take it thinking it is the easier way, not realizing they need to develope healthy eating habits, and workout routines just like anyone else. Far to many people fall back into the same bad habits, except this time they do not have that way out.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    I seriously considered doing surgery (health issues other then just fat) and went so far as to have all the pre op appointments and psyc eval. I kept thinking about the surgery and everything it entails and the initial thoughts of its a 'cop out'. The surgery itself scares the crap out of me and a friend told me about this site. I signed up and told myself overall it would cost less to do it myself. Doesn't mean that I look down on anyone who is contemplating the surgery or anyone who has done it. It is a scary and hard process to go through. I didn't want to permanently alter my body for it if I didn't at least make myself honestly do it on my own. I initially lost 10lbs but was in a car accident and gained it back. (Only myself to blame for the pity party I was throwing.) It is a hard decision to go through and kudos to anyone who has done it and stayed with the program! Some do it as the 'easy way out' yes but there are others who have tried over and over again to lose weight and for whatever reason they just didn't/couldn't.

I think that anyone who is considering surgery should be on a mandatory diet/exercise routine for 6 months BEFORE having it done per Dr. orders. I don't have a gym membership and am working out at home via random exercise dvd's, purchasing my own hand weights(1 at a time due to financial issues) and being outside. Sometimes people just don't have the honest health information or the support that is needed to succeed. It's not always a cop out.
  • gailashton
    gailashton Posts: 292
    Options
    Personally I think that if you have health issues and no other options, are so obese that you can't move then it is a viable option. I work in the medical profession and the problem I see is that people are getting this surgery now who only have 50 pounds or more to lose, which I think is absolutely ridiculous. If you are willing to change your honestly change your lifestyle, i.e. dietary habits and exercise and you really want the surgery then by all means go ahead. However, I have seen people have the surgery and end up going right back to where they were or even worse off. It is not a quick fix for sure and there are other complications that come along with it. Whatever your choice, it's your choice and no one elses. Good luck in whatever you decide and I hope you achieve your goals.