Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I think that if a person was at risk of losing their life and couldn't move because they were so overweight, then surgery would be the best thing for them. But if not, I don't think it's a good idea because to me that's just not healthy. A healthy way to lose weight is to learn which foods are right to eat, exercise, and eat foods that are not so great for you in moderation. With surgery what is going to keep them from going back into the same eating habits and lack of exercise that got them heavy in the first place? I'm happy for anyone that loses weight but I think the best way is through hard work, not a surgical knife.

Of course, many people lose weight and never learn the right foods. After they get to their healthy weight, they go right back to their old ways and get heavy again. I also know people who have had surgery that listened to the dietician's instructions, learned how to eat properly and didn't gain any weight back. Some people need that surgery to help them get started, some don't. But, don't assume that because someone had the surgery that they didn't learn how to eat properly. And don't assume that because someone lost it without surgery they learned how to keep it off.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people say "you're lazy and want the easy way out" in so many words. I guess I never viewed anyone going for surgery as being lazy and wanting the easy way out - well at least not the majority.

I *thought* for most, it was a last resort, a life or death decision, or a decision because nothing else had any hope of working for them.

Whether it's true or not is actually irrelevant - because perception IS reality. If you BELIEVE this is the case for you, then it is. Regardless of how others view or judge you.

What I also see, is people saying "I wanted surgery because I was lazy and wanted an easy way out. But then I saw how much work it was and knew I could do it without surgery." Here's the rub, You believed you could do it, knew you could, and chose to not have surgery because it wasn't a life or death situation, a desperate last ditch attempt to get healthy. And I am NOT begrudging anyone that!! I think it's AWESOME that self esteem, pride, and belief that you can do it, prevented you from getting a dangerous and risky surgery. That is a truly great thing! And yes, take pride in putting in the hard work and effort.

But from the other side of the board, you have people who believe in their heart, this is the only way (and I do believe for some it is - if not all) .

Knowing what I know NOW, I know I didn't need to get surgery. I am doing it on my own, because I have the knowledge, and understand HOW. I don't believe everyone gets that though. I am learning, that you can change your tastes, learn to love veggies and fruits MORE than junk food - cakes, cookies, pies etc. that you feel SOO much better eating the healthier foods. That the RUSH you get form eating those junky foods, is temporary and inevitably leave you feeling horrible after, both mentally and physically.

I went from eating CRAP ALL THE TIME - from the time I woke up, until I went to bed. Now, I still occassionally have those days - well - not ALL DAY - but I do have meals like that. I have my 'cheat' days, refeed days, etc etc.. and am finding I don't look forward to them all that much anymore. It throws me off track, I don't feel good after I eat the stuff, and I look forward to getting back to my 'diet'.. LOL - yeah - that's a joke. It's my way of life now. I feel weird using the word Diet. BUT I WAS THERE. I came from that place where surgery is the only answer. I'm one of the few people who can truly talk about it from both sides. I understand it from both fronts. I feel - relieved - that I can do this on my own, without help, and a little guilty that I do feel relieved as I don't feel the judgement and scorn from people who are so MEAN. And Especially, from those who only have less than 40 lbs to lose. Coming from a place where it will take someone 1-2 years of constant dieting to get to a healthy weight, and judging them when you can get there in 6 months or less, is completely unfair. To say they LET themselves get there - how do you know what they went through? Divorce, loss of a loved one, injury, Job loss, sickness, depression, all these things can lead to weight gain. Most of us have had to experience at least one of these in our lives. But if you also don't understand the right way to deal with it, or are so depressed you cant, the weight can pile up. Then you have a long journey ahead to lose it and that in itself can be very depressing.

*sigh* this whole thread is just so SAD. People are so afraid that they aren't going to get credit for the work they do. ahh.. here's an example - I started seeing a personal trainer in March. As time went on, I had frequent people saying (with regards to my weight loss) "YEAH, but SHE has a personal trainer..." (eye roll) .... um.. I have a coach. a coach that pushes me to work harder. I STILL do the work. He doesn't live with me, making my food choices for me, etc. He's a tool. Weight loss surgery is a tool. And yes, SOME of the surgeries (not all) give you the advantage of sucking the calories from the food so you don't absorb them - but they also suck out vitamins, minerals, and provide a whole other plethera of health issues, that the patient has to deal with. Don't belittle their efforts to get healthier. They STILL have to make food choices - so they don't get sick or have complications, but they still have to make choices. they still have to exercise. The main difference is, that they are FORCED to learn how to eat a different way, versus figuring it out on their own. Don't be mean and judgemental. Their journey is different than yours, not any less painful, stressful, or hard.

Be Nice!
  • djswan54
    djswan54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think surgery is a last step, and a risky and dangerous step at that. Diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight in a healthy and life changing way. While it takes time and commitment, no one gained their weight overnight. You will improve your overall health and live much longer if you do it the right way. Surgery is a last resort, and while it may work for some, it does not teach you to eat properly nor give you the discipline to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If your life depends on getting weight off for medical reasons only - if you are morbidly obese - then that would be the only time to even consider this drastic step.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone who has had WLS would say, "Surgery was my first choice. I just didn't want to go through that whole diet and exercise thing."

More likely, they chose surgery after they felt the exhausted all over avenues.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    On May 24 my best friend had the surgery. I even encouraged him to have it done. On June 20th he passed away due to complications from the operation. This is a dangerous procedure to have. I can't tell you how bad I feel.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    On May 24 my best friend had the surgery. I even encouraged him to have it done. On June 20th he passed away due to complications from the operation. This is a dangerous procedure to have. I can't tell you how bad I feel.

*hugs* I'm sorry for you loss. I had a friend who passed away from complications from surgery, too. Another friend has such a compromised immune system that she's had pneumonia pretty much all summer long. Even my friend who's doing fantastic after getting sleeved still had complications and had to have her gall bladder removed, which seems to be a pretty common complication.

It is dangerous and not an "easy way out."
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    So here's something I noticed....a lot of posts saying "People choose surgery because they're lazy!" and then, in the same post they say "It's still a lot of work!".

So which is it? :laugh: Are we lazy or are we working hard?
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    http://rainhoward.blogspot.com/2012/08/more-on-my-choice-of-surgery.html

I would post this here but it's rather long. So if you really want to know why a person would opt for surgery, here's my answer to that question.
  • agonzalesjoy
    Options
    You have no idea what you are talking about! Just like you use this site as a tool to help you, Getting weight loss surgery is just the same. It helps you to lose weight , but it will only work if you go by the rules! Until you have had the surgery you should not be able to give an opinion about the surgery! You are being very judgemental. Everyone has a right to what they think, but saying that people who has had surgery cheated is very ignorant. There are some people that may go into the surgery thinking it will fix you all on its own, but they may have not really researched it like I did. But go ahead keep commenting on things you have no idea about, because truely until you have experienced something you really shouldn't give your opinion. That would be like me never raising kids tell someone who has had kids and are with them everyday what they need to do. Just not right and its down right rude!
  • relucas81
    Options
    I lost about 275 lbs over a 2 1/2 year span, without surgery. I walked, counted calories, took medication, (Topamax and Adipex) and went to an eating disorder therapist. I am proud of my accomplishments as I did them without medical intervention. (I did have to have cosmetic surgeries to remove excess skin after reaching a healthy weight.)

That said, I had some advantages. I was male, with no mobility or serious health issues despite my weight, and was still in my 20's at the time. Someone like that, like I was, probably should explore non-surgical possibilities.

Do I wish I had thought to have surgery? YES! I honestly think it would have been a less difficult journey had I not had to do it ALL MENTALLY.

However, I have no restrictions on what/how much I can still eat, and for that I am thankful. (And that may have not been the case to this day had I had surgery.)
  • yavrig
    yavrig Posts: 28
    Options
    You have no idea what you are talking about! Just like you use this site as a tool to help you, Getting weight loss surgery is just the same. It helps you to lose weight , but it will only work if you go by the rules! Until you have had the surgery you should not be able to give an opinion about the surgery! You are being very judgemental. Everyone has a right to what they think, but saying that people who has had surgery cheated is very ignorant. There are some people that may go into the surgery thinking it will fix you all on its own, but they may have not really researched it like I did. But go ahead keep commenting on things you have no idea about, because truely until you have experienced something you really shouldn't give your opinion. That would be like me never raising kids tell someone who has had kids and are with them everyday what they need to do. Just not right and its down right rude!

Amen to that! My husband lost 85 lbs with the *help* of surgery. I have lost mine with WW and MFP. Surgery is merely a tool and unless you have yourself been overweight by 100lbs+, STFU, you have no concept of the true struggle. It is not the answer for everyone, just like I didn't think it was the answer for me. But it certainly was the answer for my husband. He has mainained the weight loss for 2 years now, which in itself is praiseworthy. We eat healthier, we exercise together and we enjoy our children more now. Are we done? No. But hey, is anyone ever really done?
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    While I've not had the surgery, I worked for a gastroenterologist for 17 years and we saw plenty of patients after the surgery. It is a very tough road to walk. Anyone who thinks it is the easy way out is ignorant of the facts. Their life will be harder than ours due to the complications after the fact and they have to work HARDER. Those of us who have not had surgery will regain weight if we stop our efforts. Post surgery patients may end up dead from the complications after the alterations to their anatomy. So, do they have bragging rights? Absolutely and unequivocally. Anyone who loses weight and keeps it off has bragging rights. We may all do it differently but each and every one of us has our own battles and our own battle scars. Not one among us is better than the next.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I got turned down for surgery. So glad now! Doing this the old fashioned way and I'll be able to have no I'll effects and can still eat a proper meal. Would advise people to have counselling first as normally the problem is psychological. I was 301lbs and spent most of .my life in bed with depression and chronic fatigue. Now loving life, loving hard exercise and all weight related health problems have gone. Still hard with the chronic fatigue but good days out weigh the bad which is all I can ask and I'm so proud I did it all myself! X
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I to also think it is a cop out for people . You still have to watch what you eat and exercise. There is a great chance that you can gain all that weight back again. if you don't exercise what happens to all that excess skin??
  • Nicole_69
    Options
    In my opinion it's 100% their choice to have weight loss surgery. :) It's easy to say well I'm doing it the "right" way while they took the easy way out but you don't know the personal demons they had to get through to even pick up the phone and schedule the appointment with the doctor. You make your choice by putting on your running shoes and going to the gym....maybe some just don't feel like they can do it, or other health reasons that are keeping them from doing it. Idk it's just I don't think you should judge anyone till you've been in their shoes & know what they go through on a day to day basis.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Shame on those who judge and scorn individuals who have used medical assistance (surgeries) to lose weight. I am so sick and tired of judgmental people that have never walked an inch let alone a mile in a person’s shoes that has had to get this type of surgery done! There is a great deal more going into the surgery other than losing weight so before some of the self-righteous know-it-alls start blasting those who have made those decisions get to know these people as human beings with physical and psychological needs.
  • agonzalesjoy
    Options

Amen to that! My husband lost 85 lbs with the *help* of surgery. I have lost mine with WW and MFP. Surgery is merely a tool and unless you have yourself been overweight by 100lbs+, STFU, you have no concept of the true struggle. It is not the answer for everyone, just like I didn't think it was the answer for me. But it certainly was the answer for my husband. He has mainained the weight loss for 2 years now, which in itself is praiseworthy. We eat healthier, we exercise together and we enjoy our children more now. Are we done? No. But hey, is anyone ever really done?

Yep I totally agree and congrats to you and your hubby :) We are all different and need help in different ways I applaud the both of you!
  • agonzalesjoy
    Options
    <---- Cheater, Cop Out, Loser, Magic Pill Popper, etc.

Call me what you will, but I have worked my *kitten* off for the 128 pounds that I've lost. I've spent HOURS planning meals. I've spent HOURS at the gym getting it in. I read every label on every thing I put into my mouth. I've had nutritional counselling. I've had personal trainers. Did my surgeon lose that 128 pounds for me? Did my trainer? My nutritionist? NO. *I* did it. Me. That is all.

If YOU did it then why did you have to have the surgery to get you there? Give credit where it is due-sorry you don't deserve it all. That's like saying the recovered alcoholic who takes topomax which makes them sick when they drink has gotten sober on his/her own. Or like saying that someone who has cheated on a test by sneaking in notes and then passes the test has done it "all on his own"--yeah maybe they've done it but the triumph is much different than someone who's done it without assistance or by sheer inner strength.

Exactly!

• bharkin712
    Options
    My older sister had gastric bypass surgery. She has been overweight all her life and morbidly obese for the past 10 years or so. The surgery was supposed to be the "kick start" she needed. She never gave a diet serious effort for more than 2-3 days, nor did she get on an exercise program. She had to lose 10 pounds before surgery so she starved the two weeks before. Not good. She lost 80 pounds quickly and has gained more than half of it back, so far. She never changed her eating habits, she doesn't follow the meal plans, and she does not exercise. Right after the surgery, she was able to sleep without the CPAP and got rid of her insulin but she's back to those now due to the weight gain.

My younger sister did the HMR diet and exercise, lost 80 pounds, then had a tummy tuck. After gaining all the weight back plus some extra, she had the lap band. She did not qualify for the surgery so she paid to get it done. She lost 85 or 90 pounds and was extremely sick all the time. She couldn't eat but she worked out religiously. They had to remove the lap band so she gained all the weight back. She had another lap band put in (who can afford to pay for these surgeries out of their pocket?), lost 70 or 80 pounds then gained it back because she returned to her old eating habits and quit exercising. She had low self-esteem when she was heavier so the weight loss boosts her confidence.

My mother and I have lost weight through Weight Watchers and exercise. The two of us were never classified as morbidly obese as my sisters. I hit a plateau (I am in my late 40's) with WW so I talked to my doctor about it. She referred me to a weight management program. Now I take half of an Adipex pill at 1pm to curb the appetite. Of course, Adipex is not a quick fix and it has to be done with diet and exercise. I now eat a sugar-free/low-carb, high protein, low-calorie diet and I exercise 4 or 5 times per week (Zumba or Zumba toning for an hour each time). I had a tummy tuck to remove the excess fat and continue to stick with a sugar-free/high protein diet and exercise. I fluctuate within a three pound range so life is good.

After losing weight through diet and exercise or through surgery, you will never be able to return to your "old habits" and ways of eating, period. If you do, you will gain the weight back. I really don't care how people lose the weight, as long as they lose it. Surgery is pretty severe if you cannot stick with a diet for at least six months to change your eating habits.

As far as someone who lost weight through surgery getting compliments, they deserve them if they continue to lose weight because they just got the kick-start to get them motivated. Just my two cents.
  • agonzalesjoy
    Options
    I to also think it is a cop out for people . You still have to watch what you eat and exercise. There is a great chance that you can gain all that weight back again. if you don't exercise what happens to all that excess skin??

Just because you have surgery does not mean you dont have to work out and watch what you eat! As much time as it may take someone without surgery it is the same for lap band patients. Just because you get the lap band doesnt mean you can just sit their and the weight falls off. No you have to work hard to get the weight off by exercizing and eating properly. And the skin sagging? You lose weight slowly, the same with someone who doesn't have the surgery. This is exactly what im tlking about. Until you have had the surgery you cannot say you know and that its a cop out. The only thing the lap band helps with is portion control but only if you dont cheat it, and when the weight does come off it is very helpful in helping you to maintain the weight. Like this site is a tool for you, weight loss surgery is also a tool. It is just an individuals choice of which tool you want to use.