Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• jaketheputty
    Options
    Good luck and Godspeed.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know (all two of them) who have had the surgery have gained all of the weight (and, in one case, even more) back. IMO, it's a waste of money and dangerous to one's health if the person isn't willing to make the necessary mental and emotional changes. No surgery can do that part.

Edited to add: In some cases, it is medically necessary to save a person's life. Then I can see it as a viable option. But again, the person needs more than just surgery to correct the issues at hand. It's not just about being obese. No one just wakes up morbidly obese one day. Weight loss surgery candidates also need proper nutritional and psychological counseling.

This.

I just think it's treating the symptoms, not the problem.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    One poster here, who had been offered surgery, said he wanted to fix the issues that lead to his obesity and so turned the gastric band down because it can't do that. He opted for therapy and a diet given to him by his doctor, I think. That seemed like a sensible and positive move. An empowering move.

If that route isn't possible (for whatever reason) and a gastric band is the only thing that will improve a person's health - absolutely. However, there are risks associated with having a general anaesthetic, which are obviously higher for people in poor health.
  • sopravvissuto
    Options
    A few months ago I went in to see my doc for whatever reason. As we were going through stuff she said, "and would you like a referral for weight loss surgery?" My reply, "f**k no, I'm not lazy!" (excuse my language, I'm a sailor's wife ;) )I KNEW I was overweight, but I guess I was in denial? So, I started changing how I ate (I don't call it a diet - it's a lifestyle change) and started working out. I chose to see WLS as a lazy way out, HOWEVER after reading a good portion of posts in this thread I do see where SOME have used it as a tool to do more. That is admirable.
    I sat in a restaurant on base a couple weeks ago with my husband. I had just knocked out about 1200 calories on the treadmill so I could have half of a cheeseburger for lunch (my cheat for that week) and a woman sitting in front of us was talking across the restaurant to her friend about having the surgery, and yet STILL had diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. AND she was still huge....munching on her own cheeseburger, but also fries and a shake. I agree with a previous poster who said something about Dr.'s and insurance providers just passing out the surgery. If those having the surgery aren't learning to change their lifestyle then they won't be successful.
    I have a fellow wife who had the surgery and in 4 months has lost more than I have in 7 months. I feel like such a **** for admitting it, but yes, it pisses me off. She doesn't go to the gym. She still posts on facebook about her delicious cheeseburger at Red Robin.....So, when she brags on FB about being down 60 lbs I block the post. :) I shouldn't let it get to me and I know that....I am working on it. :)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    This same subject pops up often here in MFP forum hell. As a husband to someone who has been very successful with surgery and as someone who had the same surgery on August 30th, here are my words of wisdom. If you know the risk, if you know what's involved and what you're getting into, in other words, if you're educated about the surgery and still want it, have at it.

And here's the important part. If you don't want to have it, if a friend of a friend of your great aunt lisa had bad results, if you just hate doctors, shut the **** up about it. Do we come to the gym and tell you you're lifting wrong? Keep your nasty *kitten*, rude, vitriol filled comments to yourselves.

Because it's a personal decision. It's up to as much as what I drive is up to you. And it affects you just as little. I'm strong enough in my personal fortitude to not give one half a rats backside what some a$$hat on the internet or juiced up gym jockey thinks about me or my choices. Unfortunately, many people on here and in life, aren't that strong. They don't need some idiot belittling them for trying to better their quality of life.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    To each their own. There is only one person who fully knows your story, and that is you. The same goes for every other person you meet.
    If they keep weight off after surgery, let 'em brag.
    My mom had gastric bypass and has gained most of her weight back. She is an emotional eater and obviously didn't deal with that part of the picture.
    So if your relatives are keeping weight off after surgery, for the long haul, they must be doing something right, because even surgery isn't a sure fire bet all by itself.
    But, that said, you definitely have bragging rights too! Keep up the good work, and keep doing what works for you. Be happy that you didn't have to go through a potentially life threatening procedure to get your results, but let your relatives have their success too.
    Good luck in your continued success!
    Jen
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    do they get bragging rights? yes. why because its their journey. yes they didnt do it how you did it.. but still it deeply affects them. their life is changed forever. they can't eat the same. they can get physically ill when it comes to eating sometimes. they have to monitor their food just like you did. they should be needing to exercise as well... isnt that what you do too? see its the same. you might feel like you work harder..but its not a comparison party. its your each and own personal journeys.

now having said that.. do i like that people choose surgery over diet and exercise? not exactly. (& technically its still diet and exercise after surgery) i would actually probably try to talk them out of it. but i respect that it is in fact their decision and their body though.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what's the argument against those who lost weight without surgery, only to gain it all back? It's been decided here that those who had surgery and regained weight were using a crutch, and not changing their behaviors. But with the high percentage of people who regain after losing just with diet and exercise, are we just chalking that up to bad luck?

Really, it's all the same. People can lose weight in a healthy manner with or without surgery, and both can leave long-lasting negative affects if not done correctly. Neither route guarantees long term success. But both require the same amount of dedication and behavior modification.

I'm not understanding the argument either way.

And for the record, I'm au naturale.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Honestly.. and some may not like this.. but in some cases I feel like it is the easy way out. I know that some people need it to be able to lose weight but some just want the end result without the work.