Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• agonzalesjoy
    Options
    18 months post surgery

Gave us our lives back...that's all that matters.

7893854044_6fb49bef04.jpg
    P1000204 by SteveMPhoto, on Flickr

You look awesome :) Way to go and keep up all your hard work on this life long journey :)
  • kimbeth41
    Options
    Instead of having surgery, why don't people just eat LESS and learn how to do it the right way in the first place? Surgery isn't necessary, it's just a crutch for people who give up on themselves in most cases.

Oh. My. Gawd!

Why didn't I think of that?? Why didn't I spend half my life struggling to learn how to eat right and just "eat less"? I wish somebody had told me that before I'd chosen to get myself cut open! It seems so obvious now that you've pointed that out!

Lol..:) It seems so easy for some....
    I dont really care HOW people loose weight...hats off to all of them
    Just as a litlle mix..what about those who cannot afford the gym and have to make do without the regime\?? Should they have more bragging rights than someone who uses the gym all the time|??
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    18 months post surgery

Gave us our lives back...that's all that matters.

7893854044_6fb49bef04.jpg
    P1000204 by SteveMPhoto, on Flickr

You look awesome :) Way to go and keep up all your hard work on this life long journey :)

Actually, that's my wife...and she does look awesome.
    30 lbs on her back and my boys and I had to struggle at times to keep up with her.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Instead of having surgery, why don't people just eat LESS and learn how to do it the right way in the first place? Surgery isn't necessary, it's just a crutch for people who give up on themselves in most cases.

Oh. My. Gawd!

Why didn't I think of that?? Why didn't I spend half my life struggling to learn how to eat right and just "eat less"? I wish somebody had told me that before I'd chosen to get myself cut open! It seems so obvious now that you've pointed that out!

Just as a litlle mix..what about those who cannot afford the gym and have to make do without the regime\?? Should they have more bragging rights than someone who uses the gym all the time|??

It's not easy for anybody, including those who don't use a crutch.

I'm not sure why people continue comparing it to using the gym/attending alcoholics anonymous meetings. It is a MAJOR SURGERY. A very big deal to get an elective surgery that you don't /need/. Totally different than just going to a meeting. In fact, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with those who had surgery if they chose to attend meetings to learn more about their poor habits/attend a different gym instead. That's all irrelevant.
  • SueN113
    SueN113 Posts: 46
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am "Weaker" than anyone else...I may actually be stronger. Some people go through things in their lives that others do not and have to handle them emotionally. You have obviously had a much easier time at your age then I did when I was 20-21.
  • SueN113
    SueN113 Posts: 46
    Options

Oh. My. Gawd!

I'm not sure why people continue comparing it to using the gym/attending alcoholics anonymous meetings. It is a MAJOR SURGERY. A very big deal to get an elective surgery that you don't /need/. Totally different than just going to a meeting. In fact, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with those who had surgery if they chose to attend meetings to learn more about their poor habits/attend a different gym instead. That's all irrelevant.

Maybe you don't NEED a surgery, but other people do. I believe that you may not understand the emotional side of morbid obesity and that being forced at first to eat less was what many people need to realize they can do it. I have and still do attend meetings to assist with my eating issues as many people do. In fact my surgeon requires you to, to address your emotional issues that cause you to over eat in the first place.

Congrats on losing weight and being healthier! The lap band no longer assists me and hasn't since I lost 35-40 pounds. Good old diet and exercise is what we WLS surgery people have to do to.

Don't be so quick to judge people just because you can do something easier than others.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Oh. My. Gawd!

Maybe you don't NEED a surgery, but other people do. I believe that you may not understand the emotional side of morbid obesity and that being forced at first to eat less was what many people need to realize they can do it. I have and still do attend meetings to assist with my eating issues as many people do. In fact my surgeon requires you to, to address your emotional issues that cause you to over eat in the first place.

Congrats on losing weight and being healthier! The lap band no longer assists me and hasn't since I lost 35-40 pounds. Good old diet and exercise is what we WLS surgery people have to do to.

Don't be so quick to judge people just because you can do something easier than others.

Saying that I can do it more easily is ridiculous. People are generally here because they have an unhealthy relationship with food and breaking this habit is never easy for ANYBODY. It is possible for anybody to do this without surgery, though still people continue to give up the fight and fall back on a crutch.

Again, I understand that losing weight with the surgery can still be a fight, but it's an unnecessary procedure for many who just give up on themselves too quickly.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Saying that I can do it more easily is ridiculous. People are generally here because they have an unhealthy relationship with food and breaking this habit is never easy for ANYBODY. It is possible for anybody to do this without surgery, though still people continue to give up the fight and fall back on a crutch.

Again, I understand that losing weight with the surgery can still be a fight, but it's an unnecessary procedure for many who just give up on themselves too quickly.

"Too quickly"...hmmm. So it's better to fight for 30 years and reach a point where you can't move without assistance and then have the surgery than it is to realize along the way "Ok, I *have* to do something drastic here!"?

I'm 28. I've been struggling with my weight since I was in middle school. I think I gave it a pretty good go before choosing surgery.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

"Too quickly"...hmmm. So it's better to fight for 30 years and reach a point where you can't move without assistance and then have the surgery than it is to realize along the way "Ok, I *have* to do something drastic here!"?

I'm 28. I've been struggling with my weight since I was in middle school. I think I gave it a pretty good go before choosing surgery.

You don't have to defend yourself. Especially not to someone who hasn't been able to accomplish and maintain weight loss on her own.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Everybody has the mental capacity to reach within themselves and FIGHT to overcome it. If they are unable to find the strength to do so then they likely did not go to the right measures to ensure that they could beat their problems. It is far from easy to get past overeating issues, especially if they're related to stress or trauma/anything similar. But is it impossible? Far from it. Surgery is completely not necessary.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Ok so I posted back on page one...and just read through all the responses.

Here is what I noticed...the only supporters of surgery with the exception of one man, (actually, his wife) RECENTLY had surgery. I could have missed someone....but seriously come back in 10 years and tell us what you think.

I has gastric bypass 9 years ago.

Surgery only forces you to eat less. The initial weight loss may move you to exercise some, but it does not cure your mind.

Changing your mind can be done without surgery without all the side effects that SUCK for the rest of your life.

I am now doing it the 'right' way...after gaining half my 109 pound surgical loss back. But now I battle anemia and headaches, skin sag, ulcers, digestive problems and other issues all from the original surgery 9 years ago.

No I would not do it again....nor would I recommend it. And until you are 5-10 years out, you are still loving your forced weight loss....so your opinions on it are biased.

There are true long term surgical success stories, but I have found them to be the minority.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

:angry:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Sometimes, it is needed for people who don't have the mental/emotional ability to let go of their addiction to food right then and there. The surgery forced me to face WHY I was eating and helped me change my life.

Not everyone has the same will power.

I'm pretty sure that's the point that everybody is trying to make. People who choose the surgery option generally do not have the same will power as those losing it the "natural" way, therefore can be branded as 'weaker'. It doesn't make you a bad person, you just lost your weight in a different way than other people and had to use a crutch to get where you are now, whereas many others can do it solely with their will power.

:explode:

I really shouldn't be reading this thread.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Sometimes, it is needed for people who don't have the mental/emotional ability to let go of their addiction to food right then and there. The surgery forced me to face WHY I was eating and helped me change my life.

Not everyone has the same will power.

I'm pretty sure that's the point that everybody is trying to make. People who choose the surgery option generally do not have the same will power as those losing it the "natural" way, therefore can be branded as 'weaker'. It doesn't make you a bad person, you just lost your weight in a different way than other people and had to use a crutch to get where you are now, whereas many others can do it solely with their will power.

Exactly, it's just an excuse to run circles around someone yelling "I'm better than you are, hahahaha!". I swear, some people never leave high school.

I have enough self-worth without having to steal someone else's, so weak or not, I'm satisfied with that.

It doesn't make anybody better than anybody else. The main argument here is that you can't compare someone who had WLS success with somebody who fought without help to get their weight loss. I understand surgery is not easy, but again, it's a crutch. It's just not comparable to put two people next to eachother who have both lost 100 pounds and say that their success was the same, though one used surgery and one did not. It is two completely different things.
    That's the point.

YOU DON'T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT EATING DISORDERS OR MENTAL ILLNESS, DO YOU????

UN. BEE. LEE. VA. BULL.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Since I lost weight the old fashioned way I completely agree with you. That being said...I've seen a lot of people who got the surgery and only 2 out of the 10 I know kept the weight off long term. I think some are disappointed that it's still going to require work on their part and it ruins eating for them permanently.

I think if they had the surgery and KEPT it off for the long term and changed their lifestyle to an active one with healthy eating habits then they do have bragging rights. But if they continue to eat slop and remain sedentary then no. Don't blast me either peeps...just my personal opinion as well.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Everybody has the mental capacity to reach within themselves and FIGHT to overcome it. If they are unable to find the strength to do so then they likely did not go to the right measures to ensure that they could beat their problems. It is far from easy to get past overeating issues, especially if they're related to stress or trauma/anything similar. But is it impossible? Far from it. Surgery is completely not necessary.

I just realized you're 21 years old. You are SO smug and self-righteous...but I'm taking a deep breath and chalking it up to youth. I can't speak for the others on here who have had surgery, but I am more than twice your age and I have struggled with and overcome challenges that you can't even begin to imagine. How dare you imply that I'm weak. Come back and have this discussion when you've lived a little.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I just realized you're 21 years old. You are SO smug and self-righteous...but I'm taking a deep breath and chalking it up to youth. I can't speak for the others on here who have had surgery, but I am more than twice your age and I have struggled with and overcome challenges that you can't even begin to imagine. How dare you imply that I'm weak. Come back and have this discussion when you've lived a little.

Don't ruin for her Sabina. It's the only time in life that she'll ever be able to be so absolutely certain of anything.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Sorry Steve, I lost my temper a bit there....*fanning self*
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I think when surgery was first presented as an option for people to lose weight it wasn't considered an option for everyone; only the most extreme cases where it really is the last resort or only viable option.

However, I feel like surgery has evolved into the next class of miracle pill. So many of the people I know who are overweight (in my own age group!) buy into the next new product that will make them lost 30 pounds in a month, only to fail before beginning because they aren't even considering exercise and a balanced diet. I think it is this same type of person who abuses the weight loss surgeries and makes it look like the lazy way out, when it isn't necessarily because in the long run the lazy people don't keep the weight off; they gain it back.

I don't think getting the surgery and succeeding makes you better than anyone else; it just means it was right for you.

For me personally I would not get the surgery, but that is because I am having such great success (mentally and physically!) with losing weight from exercise and proper diet. I bet I would be more open to getting surgery if nothing else were working!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump