I wonder why... MSG MUST BE INCLUDED?

Options
1235»

Replies

• MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I didn't used to. I took pride in accepting everyone. But then my friends list grew huge. I deleted a bunch and gradually it grew right back up. It does get kind of overwhelming with too many friends. So I deleted again and added the clause to my profile..At first I felt bad about denying people without a message.......Now it makes things easier on me.....If they are too lazy to write SOMETHING.....I really don't have time for them on my FL. I am not better than anyone else but I have a bunch of awesome friends on my profile and while I am not opposed to adding more awesome people I am opposed to adding people who can't be bothered to add something to a request.....

you remind me of Wilson from Home Improvement... just saying.. :drinker:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyone else want to dance the Carlton with me? I need a quick calorie burn....
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It's polite.
    I decline anybody without a message. Because to be honest, I don't know where they came from or why they want to be my friend?

Is it some random teen with an ED? Is it some Buffalo Bill female collector?
    I have no interest in a friendship of any of those types.

Yeah, pretty much this.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Common courtesy. Even in the online world it can and should exist.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I like to interact with people on my list, as much as I can. If someone sends a request, it's nice to know why.

Even if it just says "hello".

Plus if someone picks me at random, without reading my profile, they may be surprised at things that come out of my mouth at times. And I really don't want to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.

Agreed. Though I'm more likely to accept if ya tell me i'm pretty. Really though, if ya don't send me a message, i tend to give the benefit of the doubt and shoot you a message saying, "Hey! thanks for the request! Where'd ya find me and/or why do ya wanna be my friend? mutual friends? forum post? ya like my @ss?" It's usually well-received, and if not, they're likely not my cup of tea anyway!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Thought this was about additives in Chinese food. Misleading thread makes me sad.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to. I took pride in accepting everyone. But then my friends list grew huge. I deleted a bunch and gradually it grew right back up. It does get kind of overwhelming with too many friends. So I deleted again and added the clause to my profile..At first I felt bad about denying people without a message.......Now it makes things easier on me.....If they are too lazy to write SOMETHING.....I really don't have time for them on my FL. I am not better than anyone else but I have a bunch of awesome friends on my profile and while I am not opposed to adding more awesome people I am opposed to adding people who can't be bothered to add something to a request.....

you remind me of Wilson from Home Improvement... just saying.. :drinker:

Haha. Nice. Next profile pic.....My head peeking out over a fence.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like to interact with people on my list, as much as I can. If someone sends a request, it's nice to know why.

Even if it just says "hello".

Plus if someone picks me at random, without reading my profile, they may be surprised at things that come out of my mouth at times. And I really don't want to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.

Agreed. Though I'm more likely to accept if ya tell me i'm pretty. Really though, if ya don't send me a message, i tend to give the benefit of the doubt and shoot you a message saying, "Hey! thanks for the request! Where'd ya find me and/or why do ya wanna be my friend? mutual friends? forum post? ya like my @ss?" It's usually well-received, and if not, they're likely not my cup of tea anyway!

You sent me one of the best FRs Ive gotten. :)
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like to know who my friends are :]
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Because I AM super special and want to make everybody on my FL do my bidding without having them question me. If they can't follow that one simple instruction to send a message with a FR then they are hardly likely to do anything else more complicated. :yawn:

:drinker:
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Awww, man - I saw the title and totally thought that this thread was about Monosodium Glutamate. I was all ready to whip out my sources and have a scientific debate about its potential health benefits and risks. Dang it.
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    :bigsmile: well.. my friends can kick your friends *kitten*! :bigsmile:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    3 main reasons:
    1. A nice, short message shows me that you will actually interact in the future.
    2. Because I am married and due any day with baby # 1. Some do not read my profile, request me, and then realize I am a married pregnant woman so they delete me.
    3. I like to keep my friend list as low as possible so I can maintain actual relationships with the people I'm friends with. It gets really difficult to communicate with people when you have 75+ friends. Even now I sometimes feel like a bad MFP.
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    3 main reasons:
    1. A nice, short message shows me that you will actually interact in the future.
    2. Because I am married and due any day with baby # 1. Some do not read my profile, request me, and then realize I am a married pregnant woman so they delete me.
    3. I like to keep my friend list as low as possible so I can maintain actual relationships with the people I'm friends with. It gets really difficult to communicate with people when you have 75+ friends. Even now I sometimes feel like a bad MFP.

congrats mommy! I have a almost 3 month old, and wow, what an amazing feeling (I'm smiling as I write this) you can add me and send me no message :)
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    This topic got me about 4 new friends who some sent a msg and others didn't.... hmmmm....
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    personally I agree with OP...and I also will befriend anybody...I just would prefer they're active after we're friends...no messages needed as to where they've found me because I can figure that out easy enough lol
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I want a message to know 1) know if they've actually read my profile; 2) have some sort of common interest with me; and 3) think I'm hawt...because, you know, there has to be a connection with online flirting. If I don't receive a message, I'm going to assume you're a creeper.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I don't add people, and state that in my profile so people won't be offended when I deny their friend request. It's not that I want to be mean or anything, I'm just not adding friends on here and I want people to know that.