Sober September anyone?

Options

Replies

• genefabes
    Options
    My first thought was "great idea!" My second thought was "I have a wedding with a bunch of people I don't know on September 2!" So umm... yeah I will not be participating in this one, but good luck to you ;)

precisely why i'llbe drinking on the 29th :)
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't drink!!! So this will be very easy for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Great job guys! I am still going strong!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm also considering going longer than September with this. I will have to see.
    Oh and obviously I am 15 days in now. Its a little easier.

Oddly enough I was musing this morning about going past & into October, but suspect October may be harder for me because I have two trips planned, both of which may involve pubs for lunch and I normally would have a pint or a shandy but if it is to be alcohol free then really should not have them, but could not stand some sickly artificially sweetened cola or lemonade drink with a meal.

I shall have to wait & see how it pans out nearer the time
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink so I'm in! :)
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thought about it once, nope the thought was enough to make me grab the bottle! Indians without whiskey I never :)
  • rayel992
    Options
    I'm on a pledge to not drink until I get down to 180 pounds, so I feel your pain. Currently at 204. So maybe I'll be able to have a few drinks at Christmas time.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Day 17 of God knows how long. Suggested to my lass that I might quit for good. I'll see how things go.

As for pubs. Cobra 0% and Becks Blue are both okay and drinkable for a couple. I'm not drinking shandies as its the thin end of the wedge really.
  • afhusted
    afhusted Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm still going strong (despite the nice beers my wife put in the fridge to temp me). I managed to get through my open mic session on Friday without a Guinness and it was interesting to see just how 'merry' everyone else was by the end of the evening.

I am tempted to stay off the alcohol until I reach my target weight. Part of me thinks it's the best idea I've ever had, another part of me thinks I'm insane.

Part of the problem is figuring out just what to drink when you are in a pub. Pubs don't excactly spoil you for choice if you don't drink alcohol. Certainly not out in the sticks where I live. I go to lots of music sessions in pubs, so avoiding them isn't possible.
  • prosksb
    Options
    HM! I found this about halfway through the month, so can I still jump on board?
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    HM! I found this about halfway through the month, so can I still jump on board?

Sure! Come on in the waters fine!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Day 20 here.
  • farway
    Options
    Day 20 here.

Same here, although I did start mid August really, but only counting Sept

It was very tempting lunchtime today walking around Romsey looking for a healthy lowish calorie lunch, some of the pubs were beckoning :drinker: but I resisted, cup of tea & ham sandwich, goody two shoes over & out
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I have 7 more days! I started aug 27th. :drinker:
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Never!

....Okay I won't drink any tequila. That's compromise for ya.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    I'm continuing this, but I've found another site I'll be logging my progress on. So I will not be updating this any further. I also really don't like the idea OPs avatar tbh.
  • farway
    Options
    Nearly there, not a drop of booze, how is everyone else doing?
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    While I wasn't participating in this challenge, I realized today that I've gone an entire week without a drink. This is maybe the first time in years I've done this. Even as recently as earlier this year, I would drink heavily every night. And a couple of years ago, I couldn't sleep without drinking. (I've read that the brains of alcoholics will stop producing melatonin because they've conditioned themselves to just pass out every night.)

I plan on sabotaging my streak on Sunday night at a party, but it's been a good 8 days. Maybe more to come?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    While I wasn't participating in this challenge, I realized today that I've gone an entire week without a drink. This is maybe the first time in years I've done this. Even as recently as earlier this year, I would drink heavily every night. And a couple of years ago, I couldn't sleep without drinking. (I've read that the brains of alcoholics will stop producing melatonin because they've conditioned themselves to just pass out every night.)

I plan on sabotaging my streak on Sunday night at a party, but it's been a good 8 days. Maybe more to come?

Sleep is one of the reasons many alcoholics fail in recovery. I did not get natural sleep for many months sober.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't sign up for this but for the first time in my adult life (apart from when pregnant 18 years ago) I have just completed a sober month :)