Sober September anyone?

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    5 years sober today.

Stopping drinking was the best decision I ever made in my entire life.

I have lost 40 lbs and 15% body fat since I stopped. I am now training for a half marathon and I actually have enjoyed 5 wonderful trips to the beach with my nieces and nephews instead of being mad at them for not going to bed so I could start drinking or being noisy the next day because I was hungover.

IF ANYONE decides that they are sick and tired of being sick and tired bound by the chains of alcohol, please feel free to message me, I will be happy to help you out and point you in the right direction.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Count me in. 15 days so far...
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I tried, I couldn't.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    5 years sober today.

I have lost 40 lbs and 15% body fat since I stopped. I am now training for a half marathon and I actually have enjoyed 5 wonderful trips to the beach with my nieces and nephews instead of being mad at them for not going to bed so I could start drinking or being noisy the next day because I was hungover.

IF ANYONE decides that they are sick and tired of being sick and tired bound by the chains of alcohol, please feel free to message me, I will be happy to help you out and point you in the right direction.

Wow! That is amazing! You rock!
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've already had some alcohol but I have been cutting it out - so count me partially in.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I'm in - except, can I take Communion on Sunday - AND do I have to log the wafer in my food diary?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You can count on me, been sober since 1989!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    5 years sober today.

Wow! That is amazing! You rock!

Thank you! I am incredibly blessed and very thankful for the willingness to stop. This girl loved her some Grey Goose now, let me tell ya that. I would also like to state that I have also calculated the savings to be around 800 bucks a month. This includes cigarettes, greasy McDonalds hangover food and the maid that cleaned because I was to lazy to.

That money adds up, I now have the Viking kitchen of my dreams. :)
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I actually tried giving up beer for Lent this year. I made it about 3 days.. haha

That is why I drink low carb/low cal beer. If I try to give it up completely, I'd fail miserably :D
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    [
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    nope.

By the way... I DO NOT like your pic of dog over Steelers emblem!
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    39 days - alcohol free
  • afhusted
    afhusted Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I decided to give up alcohol for September. It's only difficult when I am out (I do a few acoutic nights, folk clubs etc. in pubs). I run a monthly open mic session which is tomorrow night. That will be a tricky night not to have a drink.

I was at a session on Tuesday and had two pints of diet coke instead of my usual 3 pints of Guiness. It is the first time I've come home from a session and not made a scooby-snack.

I joined MFP about a week ago and cannot believe how the weight is dropping off. I guess being aware of your calorie intake makes a big difference. And not having a Guinness/glass of wine every night must help.

Anyway, good luck to anyone trying to go tea-total for the month.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Went to a 50th birthday party today and managed to survive it. I was there from 6 until just after 9. I drank "Bavaria Holland" 0% beer. It wont win any prizes when it comes to taste for certain, but I was able to drink it and it "sort of" tasted like beer and I fit in better than if I was drinking water. It was only £3 for 10 of them too.

Like I say, it wont win any taste prizes, but it got me through. Have to say I'm getting to the stage where I am very conscious of just how prevalent alcohol is and that almost every social function seems to revolve around it. I'm also considering going longer than September with this. I will have to see. I'm just a bit appalled how aware I am getting of people's dependence on it (mine included) and the affect it has on us.

Oh and obviously I am 15 days in now. Its a little easier.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Went to a 50th birthday party today and managed to survive it. I was there from 6 until just after 9. I drank "Bavaria Holland" 0% beer. It wont win any prizes when it comes to taste for certain, but I was able to drink it and it "sort of" tasted like beer and I fit in better than if I was drinking water. It was only £3 for 10 of them too.

Like I say, it wont win any taste prizes, but it got me through. Have to say I'm getting to the stage where I am very conscious of just how prevalent alcohol is and that almost every social function seems to revolve around it. I'm also considering going longer than September with this. I will have to see. I'm just a bit appalled how aware I am getting of people's dependence on it (mine included) and the affect it has on us.

Hmm, I guess I don't have the same experience, really. My friends go out. Some have a glass or two of wine, some don't. I'm going to a big sporting event tonight. 10 of us going, maybe 4 will partake.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Ha!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really count because I don't drink anyway... I'll be sober in Sept just like August and October.

Great job to those of you cutting down or cutting it out of your lives. Alcohol is a nice escape sometimes but can easily fall in the wrong direction
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I am always sober. :) except once or twice a year when I might have a glass of wine or two.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Im sober til my goal weight. 8 months so far !