Why do people get so provoked by vegans?

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's because you guys taste bad.

to funny :tongue:

...and frankly, just not true.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone would just let others live their lives their own way.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There is a very simply answer. It's because vegans have magical powers. And they don't always use them for g
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

India Kilo Romeo...
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's people are provoked by vegans in general. I think it's like anyone else preaching their decisions as if we all have to agree with their choices. It's no different than bible thumpers shoving beliefs down your throat, Athiests shoving their non-belief beliefs (wow reads funny) down your throat, etc. While it's not every vegan, bible thumper, or Athiest, it's just a handful who act that way and people just get annoyed. In reality, most don't care and don't act out like that. But like any group, you have SOMEONE who is extreme and annoying about what they believe in.

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do they same if they only intend to upset the others.

Really? On the internet you don't think people would post that on a Christian thread? I beg to differ. Are you new to the internet and forums?

YUP
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

And never learn anything from anyone else and have to discover every little thing on their own? Despite the occasional hard feelings and disagreements, I think I'll keep the system we currently have.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I didn't read your whole post, as it is rather long.

I don't feel provoked by vegans, however I do get highly annoyed by ANYONE who preaches to me about their way as being the only path. This goes for diet (vegan, paleo, no carb, low carb) or religion and everything in between. People getting all preachy is just plain obnoxious and I have no patience for them online or in real life.

This. I feel much the same way. As far as eating goes, it is what works for you. Sadly, there are many Vegans (and paleo/primal/etc but I mainly find it with vegans) who slam on anyone who does not choose to eat the way they do. I think it is in part because there are vegans who are vegans because they have moral objections to any sort of animal husbandry. At least they seem the most vociferous. That I cannot abide. There are benefits to eating vegan, but it is not for me. I would rather die somewhat sooner eating my meat, dairy and fish than give them up, and frankly, I am not convinced that continuing to eat these things will do that.
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't care who eats what, when, where, or how. If you try to force your style on me, I will punch you in the stomach. As for killing animals for food. . .if you don't like it, you don't need to eat it. But I do have a few vegetarian friends that cooks some seriously good food. :)
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options

hahahaha
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

hahahaha

Been some years since I've gotten a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...I did get a Bravo Zulu quite recently.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

And never learn anything from anyone else and have to discover every little thing on their own? Despite the occasional hard feelings and disagreements, I think I'll keep the system we currently have.

This is exactly why I love people who don't think as I do. I learn so much. Other people's weaknesses become my strengths and their strengths overcome my weaknesses. Pretty soon I'm going to be super human. :D That's why I acquire people who are contrary to me. Heeee.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

This is exactly why I love people who don't think as I do. I learn so much. Other people's weaknesses become my strengths and their strengths overcome my weaknesses. Pretty soon I'm going to be super human. :D That's why I acquire people who are contrary to me. Heeee.

^^THIS is what makes you so refreshing!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Aha! So that explains the FR.

So, you're just using me to amass your superhuman powers, huh?

Meh, I guess I'm okay with that.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Aha! So that explains the FR.

So, you're just using me to amass your superhuman powers, huh?

Meh, I guess I'm okay with that.

Don't worry, when I take over the world I'll be sure to reward you. ;)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with all of the meat eaters and non meat eaters who say what they don't like is self-righteous people cramming their lifestyle down their throats. I feel the same way about anything in life (religion, politics, diets, etc). However, I am a vegetarian and was vegan for a long time. I was also a meat eater longer before that. Because I don't like any group of any kind trying to shove their lifestyle down my throat, I take great care to make sure no one around me feels uncomfortable about theirs, especially when it comes to eating habits. Yet still, I've encountered a surprising amount of animosity from people who eat meat when they discover that I'm a vegetarian. It's as if those people I've encountered adopt the whole "the best defense is a good offense" frame of thinking. They start to criticize my choices and pass judgment on me based on stereotypes they might have heard about vegetarians. I even had a person once call me a hippie and tell me that I don't eat real food because I've willingly eaten tofu, but then went on to say that Cheez Wiz was real food.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm trying unbelievably hard not to make an *kitten* out of myself on this thread...
    LOL. I'm just watching the wreckage as it happens. Funny. :laugh:
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Most people in my real life don't even know I'm a vegan. But, there are times it comes up and my mere existence seems to challenge some people, no matter how polite and accepting I try to be.

Then you are not being as polite and accepting as you think you are. Sometimes when we think that we are just stating our opinion in a non-confrontational way, we are really coming across as judgmental.

I have vegan friends. We have no problem being with each other. I don't try to get them to change, they don't try to get me to change.

It's not veganism that bothers people.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I have similar problems with being a non-drinker, which I'm definitely not judgmental about (I'd love to be able to drink). I just politely decline whatever's being offered and get something nonalcoholic. Some people feel judged just by the existence of someone who makes different choices than they do, and they're nosy and pushy about it beyond all bounds of politeness.
  • EspieReels
    Options
    I'll go with the comment that makes the point that no one likes to have others preach to them about their food choices; this is especially irking when there is morally superior standpoint implied. I think we can all agree that organic is better, and factory farms that spread (usually genetically modified) mono-crops (there's your insidious corn and wheat) destroy bio-diversity and do not represent food in its natural state. I think we can all agree that penning animals up in factory conditions is also extremely bad- tortuous for them, and unhealthy for us if we eat them.

I spent years as a vegetarian, always battling gastro-intestinal problems, anemia, and constant cravings because it was "the right way to eat". I had no lack of finger-wagging vegan police to shame me for feeling physically ill, because after all, I "must be doing it wrong". And of course, the solid meat-and-potatoes-straight-from-the-factory people had their own preachiness with which to grace me.

Nowadays, for myself and my son, optimal means having a diet high in (locally sourced) animal protein and fat with lots of vegetables, some fruit (from local farmers). My son is able to eat minimal amounts of grains, but I get painfully sick from any grains or legumes. I have to be careful with which plants I eat and when I them as well, to avoid gastro-intestinal distress. On the other hand, my daughter needs her light meals, lots of fruit, vegetables, rice and other grains, minimal and light protein to stay happy and feeling well. I believe it is entirely possible that our adaptiveness to agricultural products and our positive (or negative) response to these foods may be genetically determined.

Short form? Not every diet will be optimal for every person, but no matter what you eat, go local! (no preaching allowed!)
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Most people in my real life don't even know I'm a vegan. But, there are times it comes up and my mere existence seems to challenge some people, no matter how polite and accepting I try to be.

Then you are not being as polite and accepting as you think you are. Sometimes when we think that we are just stating our opinion in a non-confrontational way, we are really coming across as judgmental.

I have vegan friends. We have no problem being with each other. I don't try to get them to change, they don't try to get me to change.

It's not veganism that bothers people.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I have similar problems with being a non-drinker, which I'm definitely not judgmental about (I'd love to be able to drink). I just politely decline whatever's being offered and get something nonalcoholic. Some people feel judged just by the existence of someone who makes different choices than they do, and they're nosy and pushy about it beyond all bounds of politeness.

This is true. I think some people are so used to being judged that they see judgement where there is none.