Really work? You're a Jerk.

Options
They're handing out Krispy Kreme doughnuts at work tomorrow as a "thanks" to my team.
They do this all the time here. Just 2 days ago they had 4 (YES 4!) sheet cakes in the break room for August birthdays!

Maybe I'll start taking the long way to the restrooms on my break....jerks :tongue:

Replies

• GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I feel your pain! My office is like that too. I'm the boss and I banned parties involving food a few years ago but the staff found ways around the ban (what happens in an office behind a closed door stays in that office).
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That is freaking ridiculous!!! My company has a wellness program where they reimburse any fees for running/walking races. They also have discounts @ local gyms and fitness classes @ lunch. Guess I'm lucky. Stay strong!!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    self control
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Someone offering you a doughnut is being a jerk?
    I bet you are fun to be around
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I know... I believe a girl at work is trying to sabotage me. She brought fresh, hot baked chocolate chip cookies into the med room the other day. This is a small room. Those damm cookies sat there all (12 hours) day smelling up the whole place. It smelled like a bakery. Every day I work with her she brings something. Donuts, cakes, cookies, candy.... the other day was pancakes... Dammit who brings pancakes? There aint no way in hell I'm eating anything she brings! Waving them in my face... I know she's trying to get me...

Stay strong!!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.
  • SFBarbear
    SFBarbear Posts: 146
    Options
    You should make something very delicious and wonderful smelling that you can have instead of that garbage and falunt it in front of everyone.

In my case I would make a big, juicy, charb roiled, savory steak and grilled veggies with garlic and a huge chunk of cheese. Then sit there and eat it at 10:30 am when they are all craving lunch.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    We now have quarterly birthday celebrations ... our company pays for 3 very fancy cakes that everyone loves, and we get it 4 times a year. That's it. No extra baking, no special one-off celebrations. This way we include everyone and we're not getting chubby from weekly treats. I wish they'd offer a fruit salad, I'd prefer that healthier option, but I take a skinny sliver of cake, eat half while chatting with coworkers and dump the rest. :-P
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've had a Krispy Kreme, and it failed to come remotely close to all the hype about them so far as I'm concerned.

I'd take an orange to work, or some strawberries and sit there and savour them while imagining all the coworkers who are eating the donuts with another ten or so pounds around their hips.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It seems like ALL office type workplaces have a break room like this. I swear there are always doughnuts, cookies, cupcakes, etc in the break room or on the table at meetings at my work. I try to see it as a willpower test. But I also like that on the rare occasion that I am in the mood for a midday treat I can snag a cookie without having to go buy a package of them. Stay Strong!
  • dad106
    Options

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

No.. This is a situation where someone needs to stop being a brat.

Someone at work is doing something nice for her and the team... they are not trying to be jerks. If you really don't want one, then smile and say thank you but no, I don't want one.. and remove yourself from the situation.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can I have your doughnut? Please.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sorry - it's a donut - not the end of the world.... Because you are on a journey to health and fitness does not necessarily mean every other person in your office must now stop eating donuts....in a perfect world maybe - but then hey - we do not live and work in a perfect world - so what to do!!

In a healthy balanced diet there is a place for sheet cake and donuts - in my case not every time that they are brought out, but I pick my battles - sometimes I eat them - sometimes I don't....

Making eating right a lifestyle change means you work on coping mechanisms for these type of challenges (if it is a challenge for you....) Trust me it is going to happen - all the time - at your family / friends / work - wherever you go there are going to be challenges!!

In my early days I would just take whatever my snack for the day was along to the get together - and eat that while everyone else was eating their donuts....

Even now we have drinks and nibbles (peanuts and potato chips) every Thursday afternoon in our team meeting.... This is what I do.....Take my own little tub of almonds (planned snack for the day) and make sure I sit in the "back row", so I am out of reach of the peanuts and chips...... and you know what - once in a blue moon 2 or 3 of those chips do make it into my mouth - no big deal.... The one thing that is totally unreasonable though is for me to expect that 15 to 20 other people not enjoy the drinks and nibbles because I have issues with self control...

Good luck - hope you find a way to cope with these type of situations - and cut the people in your office some slack
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The woman in charge of planning meals for staff meetings at my work is a bit unfair to me too then... I don't eat processed foods or grain, yet she constantly orders in sandwiches, pizza, pasta salads, and crap like that for every meeting. She ALWAYS ensures there's something there for the one vegetarian to eat though... She actually noticed after 6 months that a few of us never eat what she orders in, ignorantly asked today if a bunch of us were "on diets", and should she just start ordering less food. It's common knowledge around the office what my dietary habits are, and yes, it makes me annoyed that she can accept that one is a vegetarian an accommodate that without question, but never once ask what were some easy options to accommodate me. How do I deal with it? If there's something she picks up that I can eat, like fresh vegetables or fruit, I eat that. And I always bring my own lunch on staff meeting day. Yeah, it sucks that I never get a free meal or treat, but those are not guaranteed in life.
  • nicolepear
    Options
    Obviously she was joking, as noted by the winky face at the end of her entry. Clearly she does not think they are really jerks. It is just not convenient for her and she posted her thoughts and feelings in this forum as a safe haven/place for her to vent amongst her peers who are enduring similar hardships.

Perhaps doughnuts are not your weakness, but being considerate and supportive clearly is. Next time, please post CONSTRUCTIVE, positive comments on this board. That is what this is about, not about attacking one another... even if she was being serious, which I do not believe, but will state for the sake of argument, positive thoughts and recommendations would go a lot further than your harsh criticism, DAD.
  • nicolepear
    Options
    This is the perfect example of a post I was referring to. Thank you for the uplifting, constructive, positive feedback, Elleninnz!!
  • nicolepear
    Options

No.. This is a situation where someone needs to stop being a brat.

Someone at work is doing something nice for her and the team... they are not trying to be jerks. If you really don't want one, then smile and say thank you but no, I don't want one.. and remove yourself from the situation.

Obviously she was joking, as noted by the winky face at the end of her entry. Clearly she does not think they are really jerks. It is just not convenient for her and she posted her thoughts and feelings in this forum as a safe haven/place for her to vent amongst her peers who are enduring similar hardships.

Perhaps doughnuts are not your weakness, but being considerate and supportive clearly is. Next time, please post CONSTRUCTIVE, positive comments on this board. That is what this is about, not about attacking one another... even if she was being serious, which I do not believe, but will state for the sake of argument, positive thoughts and recommendations would go a lot further than your harsh criticism, DAD.

I don't know how to do these postings, yet. I think I got it right, now...
  • dad106
    Options

So it's not about attacking one another, yet you attacked me just now...

Got it.
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    That's how I gained 23 lbs a year after I started working here.... :-/