Really work? You're a Jerk.

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You have to know your limits and what a portion size is for you. And that pesky thing called "personal responsibility."

A suggested serving size of pasta is 2 oz and about 210 calories. If that's more than you can fit in your day, have 1.5 oz instead. If you have a larger calorie requirement, have more.

Three Entamenns' chocolate chip cookies are 140 calories. If that's more than you can fit in your day, have two instead of three. Or one. Or none.

If you go to Olive Garden, a dinner is going to be the same size if you're a 250 pound guy or a 130 pound woman. You have to do some homework and see if that will fit in your calorie goal. If it's too much, order something else or box up half. My husband gets the almost 1500 calorie Tour of Italy. I get the about 700 calorie Ravioli Di Portabella. We both leave there feeling full and satisfied.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My office is like that too. I'm the boss and I banned parties involving food a few years ago but the staff found ways around the ban (what happens in an office behind a closed door stays in that office).

oh wow. sounds like fun! where do we sign up to work there?
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    They're handing out Krispy Kreme doughnuts at work tomorrow as a "thanks" to my team.
    They do this all the time here. Just 2 days ago they had 4 (YES 4!) sheet cakes in the break room for August birthdays!

Maybe I'll start taking the long way to the restrooms on my break....jerks :tongue:

just quit!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

No.. This is a situation where someone needs to stop being a brat.

Someone at work is doing something nice for her and the team... they are not trying to be jerks. If you really don't want one, then smile and say thank you but no, I don't want one.. and remove yourself from the situation.
    Thats pretty harsh...why cant we all just be polite?
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    just quit!

This. Definitely this.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    It's like that where I work too. Not only are there constant yummies brought by staff, (since i once had a cupcake business i'm guilty of testing stuff out on coworkers too), but by our patients as "THANK YOU"'s for the good care. Eh, doesn't bother me. I usually turn a blind eye to the pie. :glasses:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When my husband was getting his PhD, they celebrated everything with Free donuts. He loved that because he loves free donuts. Now, at his job they celebrate with champagne, but he is a non-drinker, so he just grabs a coke and joins in. My husband and I have different eating habits (I don't eat donuts or soda). We are both healthy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    They're handing out Krispy Kreme doughnuts at work tomorrow as a "thanks" to my team.
    They do this all the time here. Just 2 days ago they had 4 (YES 4!) sheet cakes in the break room for August birthdays!

Maybe I'll start taking the long way to the restrooms on my break....jerks :tongue:

just quit!

Let me know if you do. I'm looking for a job. I'd consider a steady stream of goodies to be a perk, and a great motivation to keep running and lifting.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

No.. This is a situation where someone needs to stop being a brat.

Someone at work is doing something nice for her and the team... they are not trying to be jerks. If you really don't want one, then smile and say thank you but no, I don't want one.. and remove yourself from the situation.
    Thats pretty harsh...why cant we all just be polite?

agreed. the person who posted this meant 'jerk' to be funny/cute anyways based on the little smiley. it's amazing what big hairy ugly balls people have on the internet, they don't care whose feelings they trample on and it makes people think twice about posting anything......... i think it makes up for a lack of other junk in real life.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's like an alcoholic being in a bar. You want to stay away from temptation as much as possible, and people passing around smelly treats doesn't help. It's hard exercising that self-control all day while you're stressed at work. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep, It's a constant battle for me too. At my work it doesn't matter if you say "no thanks" or walk away. A piece of cake/doughnut/cookie will still somehow appear on your desk when you're not looking thanks to a co-worker just trying to be nice. I sometimes have to sneak into the break room after the party is over just to secretly trash it (I've been accused of not being a team player because I didn't eat it before, so yes I sneak). The company I work for has a lot of wellness programs, but they have to the way there is always food everywhere!

This happens in my office too! Someone bought pizza for us today, and I had about six people ask me why I wasn't eating pizza. I had to go into the breakroom, pretend like I was going to eat pizza, and then sneak off before anyone noticed. Then I had to eat my sandwich in secret :P.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention the donuts/cake/candy goodies on the day(s) they 'do' on Diabetes awareness days (or perhaps they don't have those where you live)? The Irony there always keeps me in stitches. I used to split a donut w/a co-worker or eat just the cake and not the frosting (not a big fan of cake, anyway) *back in the day* Now I just say 'no' and ignore the looks or comments.
  • kllyeve
    kllyeve Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually warn they new staff about the 10 pounds everyone seems to gain the first year they are with us. Lots of food in our breakroon combined with the fact that we must actually sit all day to do our job. Ususally in our industry you are up and about more, but our specific discipline has you sitting in one spot all day, so we are extremely sedentary.

I insigated a personal rule to help me cut down on the goodies - if the item is home baked, then I will have a small amout as usually this is a much better quality treat. If it is store bought - then I just don't bother - that item is usually not that good anyway and full of "not real food items" unlike the home bkaed treat which is made from real food.

This "rule" helps me control what I eat but still feel like I am participating in the celebrations.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, the same exact thing at my work. People bring in donuts, leftover cake, all sorts of goodies, and leave it in the break room. I walk by it going to the ladie's room, too.

Do we work together and I don't know it? :wink:

It's hard as heck to do, but KEEP WALKING!!! When you walk by, look away, try not to even SMELL it!! You can do it! I do! :flowerforyou:
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My office does the same thing. We have 3 building in the same area... one with 10 floors, 1 with 4 floors, and 1 with 3.

In the building I work in (luckily the one with 3 floors) I work in what's called the central office on the first floor. There's 4 kitchens on every floor... but for SOME apparent reason, they seem to always want to put all the food in our central office... it's like the main watering hole...which my office is only a few short steps away from.

The only GOOD thing is, they, most of the time, offer healthy options too, like fruit, or veggies, or something of the like. But for August birthdays they had a communal thing and there was 5 sheet cakes, 4 tubs of ice cream... just in ONE kitchen... there were more in the other kitchen... WTH!?

oh...and my team lead brings in DILLY BARS every tuesday for a a thank you for hard work...lol
  • catwoman131
    Options
    Someone offering you a doughnut is being a jerk?
    I bet you are fun to be around

love it!
  • caslyn3
    caslyn3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's how I gained 23 lbs a year after I started working here.... :-/

lack of self control

more or less.. but it sure doesn't help having a sit down desk job.. and bday partys every month and "snack" days..

I have recently learned self control - when we have them now, I just don't participate most of the time.. and when I do, I always think.. "is it even worth it?" Publix brand cake and icecream.. uh, no.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I asked folks at work to please support me in this journey. Some are, some arent. I sit right across from the kitchen, which makes it REAL hard sometimes. Sometimes playing little mental games helps.

Example: I hate buttercream frosting (love all others), so have managed to convince myself that ALL frostings are buttercream, and so have a "yech" reaction when someone brings in cakes or cupcakes. Someone brought in gooey butter cookies, which are horrid, so I have successfully convinced myself that ALL cookies in the break room are gooey butter cookies.

I know it sounds a little weird, but hey, it works. The mind is a great thing - let it work for you!
  • momof2TONI
    momof2TONI Posts: 116
    Options
    Why are people attacking each other on here?? :ohwell:
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    what happens in an office behind a closed door stays in that office).

giggity.