Really work? You're a Jerk.

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    They're handing out Krispy Kreme doughnuts at work tomorrow as a "thanks" to my team.
    They do this all the time here. Just 2 days ago they had 4 (YES 4!) sheet cakes in the break room for August birthdays!

Maybe I'll start taking the long way to the restrooms on my break....jerks :tongue:

I'd eat two. sounds like your office is awesome.

(though mine handed out ice cream sandwiches today, so that was awesome in a foily wrapper.)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    One person mad because they bring in donuts, so what!....Let them bring in only a plate of carrots and celery, and there will be shots fired.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I eat cake. I eat donuts. *Looks at my ticker* Yeah, I don't see the issue.

You also had a lot more weight to lose than the op. Someone trying to lose a small amount of weight probably couldn't do it if they regularly indulge in cake and donuts. Maybe as the rare occasional treat, but definitely not part of a regular diet.
  • wheelinqueen
    wheelinqueen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

No.. This is a situation where someone needs to stop being a brat.

Someone at work is doing something nice for her and the team... they are not trying to be jerks. If you really don't want one, then smile and say thank you but no, I don't want one.. and remove yourself from the situation.
    ...no, really it was a joke. Simmer down peeps. Didn't mean to cause a ruckus! :happy:
  • wheelinqueen
    wheelinqueen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Payback's a *itch. Just heat some leftover fish in the microwave for lunch tomorrow. That'll show em! Totally kidding! That would be spiteful. :-p
    That would be hilarious though! My least fave is when people burn pop corn in the microwave. Yuck!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    My previous job would be really pushy about their free food. It got to the point where they would put in on my desk and tell me to eat it. I sneak it into my lunch box and take it home so my brother would eat the treats. I work in a warehouse now so we don't have those sorts of things that often.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    All offices have this same concern, bitrhdays = cake. At the most recent birthday, I learned that Publix makes a CHOCOLATE buttercream icing!!! (Their buttercream is heaven as far as I am concerned) So I had a small piece and did extra time on the elliptical later. No reason to make a fuss. If you don't care for it, don't eat it, plain and simple.

S/N: Ironically enough, my coworkers always say how goooood my dinners sound or my lunches look (I LOVE to cook and am quite the little foodie sometimes, LOL). Yet, when I bring fresh produce, only hours out of my garden, it sits in the break room and no one takes it home.

Stop worrying about what others eat and just focus on yourself.
  • jf0311
    jf0311 Posts: 17
    Options
    Krispy Kreme I can resist - I didn't grow up with them, didn't have one until about 10 yrs ago and it was from a store.

Now, Spudnuts, THAT is something else! Thankfully, the one I grew up near is almost 3k miles away, and the closest one to me now is 86 miles.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens where I work.
    Now when there's a special occasion or holiday and I'm feeling too weak to resist, I just avoid the staff room or leave right after we sing "happy birthday".
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I bet the whole time she was baking them, she was thinking of how fat you would get eating them . WTF.

You're reading my mind. LOL.
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    try keeping your own healthy sweet treats in a draw of your office desk so that if there is party thing going on you would have your special treats handy so you dont feel like your missing out, and still undoing your whole progress:smile::wink:
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yep, It's a constant battle for me too. At my work it doesn't matter if you say "no thanks" or walk away. A piece of cake/doughnut/cookie will still somehow appear on your desk when you're not looking thanks to a co-worker just trying to be nice. I sometimes have to sneak into the break room after the party is over just to secretly trash it (I've been accused of not being a team player because I didn't eat it before, so yes I sneak). The company I work for has a lot of wellness programs, but they have to the way there is always food everywhere!

If I can plan ahead I bring fresh fruits & veggies (at least for myself, and sometimes for everyone). However I know these things pop up out of the blue sometimes/constantly, so I also keep a drawer of shelf stable goodies that I can eat more or less on the fly without feeling too guilty- sugar free gum, nuts, 94% fat free popcorn, dried fruit, etc., and pull it out when I need it. At least then people see me eating something, and seem less likely to keep pestering me about eating the junk.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You also had a lot more weight to lose than the op. Someone trying to lose a small amount of weight probably couldn't do it if they regularly indulge in cake and donuts. Maybe as the rare occasional treat, but definitely not part of a regular diet.
    Um, no. Weight loss is about sticking to calorie goals. Sticking to your calorie goal has absolutely nothing to do with how much weight you have to lose. The rules don't change based on how much weight you have to lose.
  • FitXnX50
    FitXnX50 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Right about the time I quietly joined MFP someone in my office left large 100-calorie matzo crackers and a box of 0-cal flavor for water in our break room. Over a week I ate half the matzos and tried a couple packets of the flavor (no thanks). I don't think anyone else touched them in a week and eventually someone threw the last matzos out. Introduced me to a couple foods that I won't go out of my way to get, but really helped jump start my weight loss! Hidden angel somewhere...
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's how I gained 23 lbs a year after I started working here.... :-/

lack of self control

What an amazing grasp for the obvious you have. Letting someone on a weight loss site know that they might have struggled with self control. Any more bombs you want to drop on us all?
  • victoria4321
    Options

Um, no. Weight loss is about sticking to calorie goals. Sticking to your calorie goal has absolutely nothing to do with how much weight you have to lose. The rules don't change based on how much weight you have to lose.

So its just as easy to stick to a 1200 cal plan as it is to stick to 2400. Yeah, obviously not.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    So its just as easy to stick to a 1200 cal plan as it is to stick to 2400. Yeah, obviously not.

If that's the proper deficit for the amount a person has to lose, then you bet it is.

Except that very, very few people need to stay at 1200 calories.

Edited to add:

My husband's BMR is 2,951calories. Mine is 1,279. His body requires 1500 more calories than mine just for basic functions. So... yeah, for him to stick to 2400 calories would be just as hard or harder than me sticking to 1200.
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    No *kitten*... that's why I gained 23 pounds. Anyway, I'm not blaming my workplace, it's obvious it was my own personal lack of self control. I've lost 40 pounds since then, and am working towards losing another 20.... guess I did away with my "lack of self control."

-In response to the quote: "Lack of Self Control"-
  • Tina1970s
    Options

If that's the proper deficit for the amount a person has to lose, then you bet it is.

Edited to add:

My husband's BMR is 2,951calories. Mine is 1,279. His body requires 1500 more calories than mine just for basic functions. So... yeah, for him to stick to 2400 calories would be just as hard or harder than me sticking to 1200.
    I thinking the post was referring to amount of damage a high calorie and fat food would do to the calories left for other food that day.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Edited to add:

I thinking the post was referring to amount of damage a high calorie and fat food would do to the calories left for other food that day.
    but its not like theyre cutting special mini portions for all the small people. Of course you dont have to eat it all, but having less wiggle room makes calorie counting a lot more strict for someone with less to lose