Really work? You're a Jerk.

Options

Replies

• TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    I know... I believe a girl at work is trying to sabotage me. She brought fresh, hot baked chocolate chip cookies into the med room the other day. This is a small room. Those damm cookies sat there all (12 hours) day smelling up the whole place. It smelled like a bakery. Every day I work with her she brings something. Donuts, cakes, cookies, candy.... the other day was pancakes... Dammit who brings pancakes? There aint no way in hell I'm eating anything she brings! Waving them in my face... I know she's trying to get me...

Stay strong!!

I bet the whole time she was baking them, she was thinking of how fat you would get eating them . WTF.
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    That's how I gained 23 lbs a year after I started working here.... :-/

lack of self control
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :noway: I think you should stage a vegetable protest!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I work in a gym and we have free cupcakes every monday... really :noway:
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I work at a place where I sell doughnuts on a daily basis, and Chinese food and pizza and...well, I work at a deli and grocery store. I bring my own lunches pretty much every day, But boy do those giant chocolate chip cookies look delicious... There are always trays of food in the break room, also. I just ignore it all and remember why I don't want to eat it.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wish people would bring healthy things in. Why is it always cookies and cakes? If someone gives me thank you cookies I feel obligated to eat at least one of them. I feel it's rude not to. What to do? Why not give fruit or veggie baskets? I like fruit arrangements. :D

If it's not specifically for me I can usually avoid it.
  • happypath101
    Options
    My workplace can be like this too. Sometimes we go through cycles where we have to work a tonne of overtime and then they bring in dinner for us. Totally awfully unhealthy dinner. It took me about 3 years, but I finally convinced them to give us some healthy options.

I got pretty upset one day, actually, and I kind of ranted "It's bad enough that I don't get paid for overtime. You bring in food that makes me pack on the pounds too!"

Another time we were doing a "post mortem" on a project. We were supposed to be discussing what worked and what didn't work etc. Instead we tallied up how much weight we'd all gained on the project. When we were up to about 20 pounds, the boss kind of starting getting it.

Now I bring my own healthy food and eat it while everyone else if having pizza or whatever. Or, I'll just have a tiny sliver of a cake or one cookie. Of course, you have to control your own sweet self. No one else can do that for you. But, workplaces shouldn't be a constant source of temptation - unless you submitted your resume to a bakery. :O)

And, for sure, workplaces have saboteurs (as do families etc. etc). I've seen it many a time. MEOW!!! :O)
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    There is always going to be food around....
    Stay strong....every time you say no, you get stronger......
    If you really want it......make sure you log it.....make sure you get some exercise in to help with that!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    At my old job, there was always a combination of muffins or cookies and a selection of fresh fruit, so no one had to sit there and twiddle their thumbs awkwardly while everyone else had treats. I thought that was very thoughtful. :heart:
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Mine does pizza lunches the last friday of every month. The good part is the pizza is really not that good so I can usually resist.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "No thanks." That's all you have to say. If you absolutely feel like you must take one, say you'll take it home for later. Then "accidentally" forget to take it.

I'm not one to shy away from donuts or anything like that. At my last job, my boss really was a prick and a half, but sometimes he'd buy us donuts. And some Fridays he'd get pizza. When I didn't want any, I didn't have any. When I did want it, I did have it.

Temptation is always going to be around. I feel it every time I walk through the mall and smell Auntie Anne's or Cinnabon, or drive down the road past a steakhouse, or when the neighbors are grilling and the aroma is wafting through my screen door. Or when I see a commercial for Chili's. Even if I'm eating dinner, the Jalapeno Bacon Bigmouth Burger and Southwest Eggrolls looks so much better than anything I'm having.

It's not the world's job to adapt to our needs, it's our job to adapt to the world.

There's also nothing stopping you from being the Good Example and bringing in a fruit or vegetable tray.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    That is freaking ridiculous!!! My company has a wellness program where they reimburse any fees for running/walking races. They also have discounts @ local gyms and fitness classes @ lunch. Guess I'm lucky. Stay strong!!!!
    My company has a wellness program too. And there is also ALWAYS food....the company offers a free lunch once a month...generally pizza. They constantly have catered lunches for "meetings", and then set the leftovers out for whoever wants them. Donuts and bagels are the norm. Cakes and such for birthdays. Today there was sausage gravy and biscuits, a breakfast casserole, watermelon, cookies...I'm not sure what all - lol, for a combination breakfast. I totally enjoyed my Greek yogurt with peaches and blueberries. yum!
  • jo_dibs
    jo_dibs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Payback's a *itch. Just heat some leftover fish in the microwave for lunch tomorrow. That'll show em! Totally kidding! That would be spiteful. :-p
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    We have monthly meetings (lunch and learns) where they bring in pizza and tacos. I usually stay away from it or find something relatively healthy to make out of what's there. That said, if I have a couple slices I just notch it and work it off. It's still ok to live a little.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat office snacks unless its someones birthday and I don't want to seem rude and only if I saw them unbox the cake from the bakery. I'm not a fan of eating food from coworkers. Sounds strange but unless I can see someones kitchen first I automatically think they might have cooties.

With restaurants, I like to think that the food inspector people really do their job. It's probably not true, but it helps me sleep at night.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. Is there anyone else who feels the same as you? Perhaps they might be able to offer a variety of things rather than a giant order of a single item.
  • wheelinqueen
    wheelinqueen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Obviously she was joking, as noted by the winky face at the end of her entry. Clearly she does not think they are really jerks. It is just not convenient for her and she posted her thoughts and feelings in this forum as a safe haven/place for her to vent amongst her peers who are enduring similar hardships.

Perhaps doughnuts are not your weakness, but being considerate and supportive clearly is. Next time, please post CONSTRUCTIVE, positive comments on this board. That is what this is about, not about attacking one another... even if she was being serious, which I do not believe, but will state for the sake of argument, positive thoughts and recommendations would go a lot further than your harsh criticism, DAD.

^ Glad you got it! Thanks!
  • SMBL2
    SMBL2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's not the world's job to adapt to our needs, it's our job to adapt to the world.

There's also nothing stopping you from being the Good Example and bringing in a fruit or vegetable tray.

This.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat cake. I eat donuts. *Looks at my ticker* Yeah, I don't see the issue.
  • RiversideBabe
    RiversideBabe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I work at a sporting goods store and they will entice us with candy and pop to get metrics. They reward us with pizza when we do well. Its hard when you're in the break room and 20 boxes of steaming pizza rolls in. The self control can be hard when a million people are devouring a bunch of it in front of me. Maybe have 1 doughnut and truly enjoy it, but if you can't stop at one, then maybe dont tempt yourself and avoid the break room and have lunch outside