New Years Challenge

Options

Replies

• renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Well just got home from a busy day - havent worked out yet - and easily couldnt. But I am on my way to get changed to hit the treadmill for 30.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    So I am being strong today - ate out at Boston Pizza's today, so had a big meal - hubby is out combining with neighbors, and I am making the kids an easy chicken fingers and fries supper. So instead of eating it (which I would love to) i took my self out a chicken breast, and am going to make a grilled chicken caesar salad - with light dressing - fitting it all in well within my calories, even have 200 cals to spare for a snack this evening which I am thinking will consist of a cup of grapes.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So I am being strong today - ate out at Boston Pizza's today, so had a big meal - hubby is out combining with neighbors, and I am making the kids an easy chicken fingers and fries supper. So instead of eating it (which I would love to) i took my self out a chicken breast, and am going to make a grilled chicken caesar salad - with light dressing - fitting it all in well within my calories, even have 200 cals to spare for a snack this evening which I am thinking will consist of a cup of grapes.

Well done! Eating a salad when everybody in the house is eating fast food is a challenge so bravo :))
  • Bluemmoon
    Bluemmoon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am ready for the challenge.My goal is to live healthier and feel less full..I relly enjoy My Fitness pal and feel like I am on a super healy rod...My weigh in lbs. is 219 for to-day...
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Good for you! I frequently now make spinach salads for supper, sometimes I will make a spinach Ceasar salad that way get more nutrients than regular romaine lettuce
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Remember everyone, tomorrow is weigh in day! Do your best to get your weight in tomorrow if you can! I would like to get the spreadsheet done by Saturday morning!
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    So to make this challenge a little more personal I want to share what my turning point was and why I started this weight loss journey in the first place.

I have always been a little on the heavier side. When I was 13 I moved in with my father. In that year I went from weighing about 150 pounds to 203. I didn't even realize I was putting the weight on. I devoted myself to losing weight,mostly through calorie counting. I got back down to 165 pounds. I kept that weight off for five years. Then last year from November to February I put on 23 pounds. I was embarrassed to see people. I didn't want my friends or my family to realize how much weight I had gained. So about the middle of June I got serious about losing weight again. I started working out regularly and watching what I ate. I have lost about 13 pounds. I feel like it is taking forever but am I going to keep pushing through. I am not only going to get back down to 165 but I am going to keep going and reach 130 pounds!

What is your story?What was the last straw?
  • cautwell
    cautwell Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Well done! Eating a salad when everybody in the house is eating fast food is a challenge so bravo :))

Oh I know how you feel! I had eggs and canadian bacon for breakfast yesterday (which was delicious) but the rest of my family was having a big stack of fried syrupy pancakes and regular bacon at the same time!! It was really hard for me, but I survived and felt really proud afterwards!!
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me the perfect tool to see my numbers... Those of calorie burn, excercise etc.
    My problem was, that I alread lost something around 15 lbs almost 2 years ago and I managed to keep them off.
    And then we headed towards christmas and New Year and I told myselfe, I will re - start my diet in the new year and just enjoy the holidays within limits, but no calorie counting.
    After that I found it hard to keep tracking, I stopped whenever I saw reason for it (dinner out, weekend, stressfull day) and then it took me days, weeks sometimes month to start again.

Being on MFP kind of puts a stop to it, cause I do not want strangers to think I am not "in it" enough!
    As a matter of fact, I recently deletet a person because she did not show up for more than 2 weeks, logged in for 1 and then was gone again for more than 10 days!
    Kind of made me think how much harder it would be to come back to my account and start logging, without a very serious reason, why I quit again!

As for why I wanna loose wweight in the first place:
    I am a nurse and I work in a trauma unit. Everyday I see people struggle with their Injuries, but sometimes, they can not get out of their bed, because of their weight.
    And on top of that I do not want to be in a position EVER, when I need help from other, because I cannot help myselfe at one point, but can cause them pain and Injuries, because of my weight.
    It is one thing for me to carry it around, but I do not want to be it someoneelses (<= is that a word?) burden too, if it comes to it!
  • HealthyGinny
    Options

Oh I know how you feel! I had eggs and canadian bacon for breakfast yesterday (which was delicious) but the rest of my family was having a big stack of fried syrupy pancakes and regular bacon at the same time!! It was really hard for me, but I survived and felt really proud afterwards!!

Bravo to you too then because PANCAKES? (I want some so bad but I just can't eat one or two so NO.)
  • HealthyGinny
    Options
    So to make this challenge a little more personal I want to share what my turning point was and why I started this weight loss journey in the first place.

I have always been a little on the heavier side. When I was 13 I moved in with my father. In that year I went from weighing about 150 pounds to 203. I didn't even realize I was putting the weight on. I devoted myself to losing weight,mostly through calorie counting. I got back down to 165 pounds. I kept that weight off for five years. Then last year from November to February I put on 23 pounds. I was embarrassed to see people. I didn't want my friends or my family to realize how much weight I had gained. So about the middle of June I got serious about losing weight again. I started working out regularly and watching what I ate. I have lost about 13 pounds. I feel like it is taking forever but am I going to keep pushing through. I am not only going to get back down to 165 but I am going to keep going and reach 130 pounds!

We kinda have the same stats apparently.

I've always been on the heavier side too, always the "chubby friend" even when I was younger. I've struggled with EDs (still am) and I think after some time and after so many drastic diets, I just stopped trying. Then last year, one day, a doctor calculated my BMI and I wasn't in the overweight category as I thought I still was, I was in the obese category (205lbs at 5"6). I think hearing that word was a shock to me and I thought "well that's it, no more excuses, no more 'trying', I'm gonna do that and I'm gonna succeed". I started in January 2012, it was my New Years Resolution. Lost 23 lbs on my own, just watching what I ate, then discovered mfp in July and started working out at the same time and I've lost 11 lbs since then. My UGW is around 128, but even 143 would be awesome and less than I've weighed in a very long time (I'm 24 btw).
  • lucero862004
    lucero862004 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    gained 1 lb:grumble:
    192lbs

ok so last wk I gained a 1 lb (err) but today i weighed myself and I'm down 2 lbs :)

190 lbs
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weight October 5th = 136.4 lbs
    I worked all week to get the 1 kg off which I gained last weekend (at a work conference where there were almost no veggies to choose) to weigh in almost the same :)
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    October 5th: 202.8lbs
    well I lost a little, after last weekend, I am happy about that too!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day today - good luck everyone!!!

SW - 149
    GW - 136 (Healthy BMI!!!)

Today - 148.4

Yey 0.6lbs in 5days makes for a happy Emma. Hoping for the full pound next week!!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Oooh I like this idea!

My story is not all that exciting really. At school I was always pretty small, not skinny but in the healthy rage and quite athletic. I played netball, football, touch rugby and did crosscountry and long distance running.

It all went downhill when I turned 18 and discovered alcohol. I gave up all the sports I used to play and went out drinking at least 2 nights a week. By the time I was at uni I was going out 3/4 nights a week and eating crap all the time because I felt hungover. I went from around 9stone (126lbs) at 17 to 11.5stone (161lbs) at 22 which at only 5'2" is well into the overweight category. It happened so gradually I didnt really notice at first. I told myself I wanted to enjoy uni as its a once in a life time opportunity and I would lose the weight after. In a way I'm pleased I did that because dieting at uni would have been awful.

But since graduating I didnt take losing weight seriously - I would have salad for lunch and think that would be enough (but still having pizza/pies/chips for dinner!!) the weight continued to creep up until it hit 12stone 2 (170lbs) and I was in the obese category. At this point I was getting pretty depressed and after a conversation with my auntie she told my about MFP and how she'd lost almost a stone and started exercising regularly. I signed up and havent looked back since!! I'm now back to where I was at the start of uni and halfway back to my 17year old weight which is my goal!
  • fat2fit4good
    Options
    CW: 246.4

thanks again for this great challenge and the work you put into it!
  • fat2fit4good
    Options

my last straw was seeing the picture of me at the beach this summer (on my profile), I didnt even recognize myself. That and how hard it was for me to bend over, get in and out of cars, etc... it really hit home that things were getting pretty bad
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Get to 4%bf and compete in a show in April
  • dannconvey
    dannconvey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would love to do it..My weight as of today is 153.6. Would like to reach goal of 145. 3 years ago i topped at 247. so i'm in.