September Challenge for beginners - 50 miles - you in?

Replies

• HiThere23
    HiThere23 Posts: 4 Member
    This is a great idea! I'm definitely in! :)
  • I'm in for the challenge! I have to get back into the habit of daily exercise, the month of August was terrible for me from a fitness aspect. I need motivation too, because I tend to find reasons to not work out unfortunately. Any suggestions that can help me with my consistency?
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Count me in! I did 4 on Saturday so only 46 more to go.
  • rmcinern82
    rmcinern82 Posts: 16 Member
    Four miles down 42 more to go!
  • thaphatdiva
    thaphatdiva Posts: 60 Member
    I'm in!
  • I'm new to MFP, but I'm totally in! I haven't gotten any miles in yet, but I am headed to the gym soon :)
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
    I'm so excited to see everyone's enthusiasm! It is motivating me. Lots of you are making great progress toward our goal already. To answer some questions:

**You can join anytime
    **Any walking or jogging counts - run, jog, walk, gasp, wheeze, waddle....treadmill, around the block, as long as you keep it real. (hey, the point is just to move our bodies more!)
    **Calculating miles: One thing I've done, because I have little ones, is calculate how many trips around my yard and around my church gym equal a mile. Another is to time yourself over a mile walk at a local track (at most, one lap = 1/4 mile). Then use your time to calculate miles. (For instance, when I last measured, I waddle a mile in 17 minutes. So, if I walk for 34 minutes and don't know the distance, I count it as two miles as long as I'm being honest with myself about the pace.
    **If you use a pedometer, I think about 2400 steps equals a mile for most people. Your pedometer might come with instructions about how to calculate.
    **For those of you with a FitBit, lucky you! I would advise asking someone in the MFP forums because I don't know how they work.
    **I'm working on a spreadsheet, not sure how best to share it. Until then, let's just keep posting our miles and progress and encourage one another!

Go, Us!
  • I'm in too! Just started Slim in 6 too, but need all the help I can get. I will be walking and running!
  • mom2rpkp
    I'm in for the challenge! I have to get back into the habit of daily exercise, the month of August was terrible for me from a fitness aspect. I need motivation too, because I tend to find reasons to not work out unfortunately. Any suggestions that can help me with my consistency?

This has worked for me: Put my running shoes on when I get up, and I can't change into something else until I've worked out. Or, if you can't exercise until after work, put them on the minute you get home. Take a kid on their bike. Take a dog. Good luck!
  • mom2rpkp
    Hey all - happy to report that we are 38 strong and have walked a collective 74 miles so far (that I know of). Please send your email address to mom2row@gmail.com, please include your MFP unsername so I can match them. I'm going to try to put the spreadsheet on googledocs so we can track. You are also welcome to add me as a friend on MFP if you want.

I'm walking today - praying that I've given my knee enough rest and can stay injury-free.

Great job! One step after another

Peace and blessings,

Bonnie
  • vipena786
    vipena786 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm a little late, but would love to join!! I plan on getting in a mile and half this evening and start walking a mile in the morning before work!!
    We can do this!
  • mom2rpkp
    You're in - shoot me an email! mom2row@gmail.com
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    I'll join in the fun!
  • mrsferfer
    mrsferfer Posts: 14 Member
    I would love to join also! One of my goals for September was to put my new treadmill to use (for more than a clothes hanger!) and so far I have walked at least one mile every day. I better step up my game if I am going to get to 50!!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    I'm in.i need to up my running game
  • AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Another 1 1/2 down. YAY! would have done more but it's rainy and yucky here. Try to make it more tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • susyale
    susyale Posts: 2 Member
    Yes, I am in!! I did 2 miles today only 48 to go!!
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    I'm SO in! :happy:

I jogged 6 on Sunday....only 44 to go!