what would happen if i ate 1,000 calories a day

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can all tell you how terribly you eat!!
    :laugh:

umm OP what happens when you plateau at 1000 calories a day? would you drop to 750? that's nuts yo.

anyway i know if i only 1000 calories on a consistent basis i wouldnt have the energy to get through my workouts and i'd be b*tchy as hell. also based on how i've seen other people who do that low calorie i'd probably also be cold all the ime and muy hair would start falling out.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought...instead of asking all of us, and getting 10 different answers, why don't you give it a try for a week and come back here and tell US what happens, so that we know for the next person who asks this same question...just a thought.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to get the micros I wanted in? Probably too tired to get out of bed too. I'm not you, though.

Yep, this^.

I can't imagine getting all of the essential, important, health-sustaining nutrients I needed in only 1000 calories. But, with some effort, and some very careful supplementation, I suppose it could be done. I hope you're willing to ensure those basic nutrition needs are met if you pursue this path.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Ask yourself if your health is more important to you than your weight loss. What's the hurry?

Taking care of yourself is worth all of the time and effort.
  • kbem90
    Options
    If its for a short period of time I don't see anything wrong with it. :) however it might be better to juggle between 1000 calorie days and 1200 calories days... From my experience, i used to be 66kg... And I dropped down to 50 over a 6 month period. (mind you I wasn't in the healthiest of mindsets... My parents and friends were suspicious of me becoming anorexic) I used to only eat breakfast (handful of cereal grains, pear and a blob of yogurt) I always skipped lunch maybe ate a meuslie bar to keep me going and I ate dinner only about 2 or 3 times a week because most nights I was working (waitressing).

At first, the weight just fell off. And I got more and more motivate to keep this habit of eating the more I lost. I was jogging for 8km most days too and some days I tried to jog twice. I had such high motivation because I could instantly see the results, however it didn't take long before my body went into some sort of slump. I was falling asleep at uni all the time, couldn't concentrate on my studies at all but still had enough eneregy to work. And I still forced myself to run everyday. HOWEVER, once I reached the weight of just 50kg, my boyfriend started making me eat more because he couldn't stand taking me out and I'm not eating.

Anyway, the point of this is.... If you eat only 1000 calories a day or less.... Yes the weight will drop - especially if you do heaps of cardio. BUT, your body will adapt over time to eating this amount. Therefore even after you have reached your goal weight... It's not as easy as you think to just go back eating a normal diet. You'll gain weight like crazy because your body suddenly doesn't know what to do with all this extra energy. it adapted to only consuming 1000 or so calories a day and is cabaple of drawing out all the energy it needs from those calories.

I gained 7kg over a month from going back to eating a normal balanced 3 meals a day diet. (although I stopped exercising during this time also... I was traveling in Korea at this time)

So tread lightly on this one because your body WILL ADAPT. Juggling 1000 ~ 1200 might be a better approach :) and keep with cardio!! It's your best friend in weight loss. :)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You'd be hungry.

That's about it.

What you're doing is staving yourself, yes you will lose a lot a weight in the short term but it's not healthy and it's not maintainable. You will gain it back and more and start a Yo-yo.
  • pumpthejam2015
    pumpthejam2015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How in the world can I eat 1200 cals a day? What types of food should I be eating? I'm lucky if I eat when I'm hungry and get around 800/900 cals, assuming what I'm eating is healthy. This section is diet and weight loss help so I'm not looking to be bashed, just looking for help. I've tried searching people's diary's, but they're so random!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    You're a dude, man up an eat more!
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and taking in 1900 yummy calories daily and losing about 1-2 lbs a wk. Only by dieting. I exercise now and then. Slow and steady wins the race. :wink:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    No. What will happen is that your body will try to stay alive. You will sleep more, move less, have no energy to exercise. Your body will do its best to reduce the calorie deficit and weight loss will go down. Why not take it slower, be full of energy, keep your hair andnot kill anyone that can be or not be part of your family.

This is all happening to me. I'm not TRYING to eat low calories. I just have been sick and going through a lot of things and seriously have no appetite. I fight myself to make it to 1200-1300 at a minimum. I've had an appetite today and yesterday, yesterday going a bit over 2000 calories and today I ATE about 1600 but netted under 1300. Sucks that I only have an appetite during that time of month. I'd really love compromise. I hate feeling how I have been!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's giving you more than a 300 calorie deficit every day. It's not healthy.
    Everyone is different. If it works for you, then do it! Just be aware of the consequences. For me, I always eat under 1000 calories. That gives me a good 300 calorie deficit everyday. :)
  • h620
    h620 Posts: 4
    Options
    I guess it's good
  • Jasmine1995xoxo
    Jasmine1995xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're a dude, man up an eat more!
    I would like this if there was like button! This made me laugh
  • Greytfish
    Options
    It depends on how badly you want to damage your phsyical and mental health...

I would listen to the folks who said not to drop below 1500. If you feel the need to go lower, see a doctor and a mental health professional.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    How in the world can I eat 1200 cals a day? What types of food should I be eating? I'm lucky if I eat when I'm hungry and get around 800/900 cals, assuming what I'm eating is healthy. This section is diet and weight loss help so I'm not looking to be bashed, just looking for help. I've tried searching people's diary's, but they're so random!

Google TDEE, that is how you burn fat. It is not based on 1200 calories. Read as much information as possible and understand that 1200 just a number that is a default for Myfitnesspal. Most people need more that that. I need 1480 if I do nothing all day but lay in bed.

Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter.

You do not have to be under 1200 to lose.
  • trina168
    trina168 Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually have a friend who was 190 pounds and she started seeing a weight loss doctor who actually recommended a 1,000 calorie diet. I also thought that cant be healthy, she probably feels hungry. But then 6 months on the diet and shes down to 145 and she has been off the diet for a couple months now and she is able to maintain her weight. The whole point of the diet after you get down to your desired weight is helping you understand portion control and watch the fat calories you intake. With lots of water and on the 1,000 calorie diet I have been able to go from 168 to 145 in 3 short months and I have been off the diet for two months and have also been able to maintain my weight loss. I do want to get down to 135 (my pre kids weight) and it is completely possible. :) During the diet though it is recommended you only do very light workouts because your calorie intake is so low. But other then that I was not cranky or sleepy, I was actually eating a lot healthier so I had more energy and loved my results!! Hope this helps :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    i started eating 1500 calories and was losing a pound a week . i went down to 1100 - 1200 and some weeks i can lose 2.5 pounds . some other weeks i can lose 1.5 or just .5 . i want to consistently lose 2.5 pounds per week . should i eat 1,000 per day

From your ticker, you only have a few lbs left to lose. In that case, you should be aiming to lose no more than 0.5 lbs/week. Use MFP to calculate your goal calories based on that, and don't go any lower. Your muscles and organs will thank you, and your end results will look so much better!
  • HArthur0314
    Options
    I would starve to death. Stay around at least 1200 a day.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For some perspective a 1,000 calories per day is the recommended amount for sedentary children 2 to 3 years of age. Unless you are a toddler you will need more calories per day just the fuel yourself for doing the things adults do like driving to work, working, sleeping, grocery shopping, and chores.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    a 24 year old male (if your profile is right) has no business eating 1000 calories a day ….

You will not go into starvation mode, which is mainly a myth, but will you destroy your metabolism and lose ALOT of muscle in the process…

so if you want to be skinny fat and have a ruined metabolism..then by all means continue…

I am a 34 year old male and my maintenance calories are about 2700 a day and I workout about 5-6 times a week...