what would happen if i ate 1,000 calories a day

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I actually have a friend who was 190 pounds and she started seeing a weight loss doctor who actually recommended a 1,000 calorie diet. I also thought that cant be healthy, she probably feels hungry. But then 6 months on the diet and shes down to 145 and she has been off the diet for a couple months now and she is able to maintain her weight. The whole point of the diet after you get down to your desired weight is helping you understand portion control and watch the fat calories you intake. With lots of water and on the 1,000 calorie diet I have been able to go from 168 to 145 in 3 short months and I have been off the diet for two months and have also been able to maintain my weight loss. I do want to get down to 135 (my pre kids weight) and it is completely possible. :) During the diet though it is recommended you only do very light workouts because your calorie intake is so low. But other then that I was not cranky or sleepy, I was actually eating a lot healthier so I had more energy and loved my results!! Hope this helps :)

I don't mean this sound like I am jumping on you, because I am not. But I really cannot fathom a diet so low in calories that exercise is limited per doctor's orders. :ohwell:
  • katbragg130
    katbragg130 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on a dr recommended 1000 calorie a day diet. I am 53, 5', use a wheelchair and very obese. Maybe talk to a doctor or nutritionist.
  • trina168
    trina168 Posts: 3
    Options
    well, I was skeptical to but me and her are proof it works, so to each their own. No offense taken :)
  • trina168
    trina168 Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually have a friend who was 190 pounds and she started seeing a weight loss doctor who actually recommended a 1,000 calorie diet. I also thought that cant be healthy, she probably feels hungry. But then 6 months on the diet and shes down to 145 and she has been off the diet for a couple months now and she is able to maintain her weight. The whole point of the diet after you get down to your desired weight is helping you understand portion control and watch the fat calories you intake. With lots of water and on the 1,000 calorie diet I have been able to go from 168 to 145 in 3 short months and I have been off the diet for two months and have also been able to maintain my weight loss. I do want to get down to 135 (my pre kids weight) and it is completely possible. :) During the diet though it is recommended you only do very light workouts because your calorie intake is so low. But other then that I was not cranky or sleepy, I was actually eating a lot healthier so I had more energy and loved my results!! Hope this helps :)

I don't mean this sound like I am jumping on you, because I am not. But I really cannot fathom a diet so low in calories that exercise is limited per doctor's orders. :ohwell:

With it being a low calorie diet it is ok to do light exercises, but you cannot exercise to lose weight on a low calorie diet.
  • Shibee24
    Shibee24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people.
    I have been on a 1000 calorie diet for a few months under the supervision of both my GP and a Health Coach. I've been losing just under 10 pounds a month. I work out for 2 hours twice a week. While all three of us are very pleased with the results, my satisfaction with this diet plan is what cinched my success. I genuinely feel like all I do is EAT. I weight/measure all my food items religiously, but I quite enjoy that aspect of literally counting calories. I'm deeply motivated and very inspired by finding fantastic foods that are both filling and satisfying, which are also very low in calories. I still eat all the things I love, but in lower-cal form. Last nigh I had pulled pork on mashed potatoes, but I used turkey breast instead of pork, and mashed cauli instead of potato. It did NOT taste the same, but it DID taste amazing. I am having two pieces of turkey bacon and a fried egg for breakfast this morning, along with a cup of coffee and some sugar-free French Vanilla creamer. That's only 146 calories for an entire meal which is primarily protein. I really thought I would miss red meat but knowing I can have it whenever I want makes it easier to avoid in lieu of other lower-calorie options.

I should note that due to a hip injury I am on crutches and will be out of work for a long time. This means I do not lead an active lifestyle and am mostly sedentary. For people who are out and about on a daily basis and perhaps do not have a desk job, 1000 calories a day may be too few. That is up to you and your doctors to determine. As we are all aware, we don't all have the same metabolism. I have found what works for me, and despite its unconventionality it makes me feel great and makes stepping on the scale every morning my favorite part of the day. :heart:

Trust me - I'm not in a coma. I don't sleep 10 hours a day. I have a very full and happy life. I could not continue with this lifestyle if I weren't! It's possible that at some point my body will stop responding so wonderfully and I'll cease losing weight, but that can not erase the joy the last few months have brought. I've learned how to enjoy smaller portions of food. My hair and skin are healthier. My meals as a whole are much healthier and more wholesome (primarily vegetables). Another wonderful surprise is that I've been able to successfully entertain guests, making meals that suit my diet plan - without even having to mention everyone is being a served low-calorie meal. The happy noises they make while eating is all the confirmation I need. :glasses:

Here's to all of us finding what works best for our bodies, and may we be supportive of one another - even if we don't understand each others choices.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I am on a dr recommended 1000 calorie a day diet. I am 53, 5', use a wheelchair and very obese. Maybe talk to a doctor or nutritionist.

Yes I can see 1000 calories is feasible for you ( You are older, sedentary and have a lot to lose) and you are doing it under Dr's supervision.

But OP is a 24 year old male, presumably taller than you, and with less than 10lb left to lose - who has been successfully losing a lb a week on 1500 calories.

I think you should stay on 1500 calories OP - its been working fine, if its not broken, don't fix it - just don't be impatient to reach the final goal.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    1) You are unlikely to be getting enough nutrition at 1,000 calories a day. More likely to get cravings which can result in binges.
    2) Energy levels are likely to drop, which could lead to a decrease in energy you expend doing everyday activities
    3) Your body will increase stress hormones, which can hinder the rate at which you lose fat
    4) Your body will start using lean body mass as a source of fuel.

You can lose weight at 1,000 calories a day, but it is a miserable and unhealthy way to do it.
    If you want to preserve your muscle mass (which most people, especially males, want to do) then you need a moderate deficit. It will take longer to lose the weight, but you will look better and be healthier when you reach your goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • deadmansout
    Options
    And you're qualified to give such advice are you?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Since you don't believe people with qualifications what does that matter? :noway:
  • theresahauser75
    Options
    I am doing a eating plan right now (Venus Factor) and I can safely eat 1000 calories per day with one or two maintenance (eat up) days each week. I am steadily losing inches however, not too much in pounds yet. This is perfectly fine with me as long as I am seeing some changes. The only time eating less would be considered harmful is when there is very little body fat left (this is when starvation mode can hit) equating to around 12-13% body fat for women. By that point, your calories would increase anyway to make sure there is a balance in your metabolism.
    I am no expert but have been reading related materials for quite some time to educate myself... I think there would be no harm in trying. Just make sure to consume enough protein since weight loss is dependent upon protein intake as well as calories. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    i started eating 1500 calories and was losing a pound a week . i went down to 1100 - 1200 and some weeks i can lose 2.5 pounds . some other weeks i can lose 1.5 or just .5 . i want to consistently lose 2.5 pounds per week . should i eat 1,000 per day

"Weight" loss is losing pounds quickly...........

Fat loss is losing pounds at a moderate pace.

Healthy weight loss should help you LOWER your body fat %
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't know my intake of calories but I know its low. I've been on this diet since Cristmas. Although at the start I did eat more, just to warm my body up, so to speak, to prepare it for a low intake of food.

I've looked at an online calorie counter to see and it says that this diet is about 500 calories, I've taken into account portion sizes and butter on bread and everything, but reading you guys on here screaming that a 1000 a day is dangerous, I'm sure I must be working it out wrong!!!

I'm not fussed at the calorie intake anyway. I'm losing weight and feeling great.

Odd originally you said

I've have been eating 1000 calories a day (about) since Christmas and at the beginning of March I moved to around 500(ish) calories per day.

changing your post after you've been quoted eh?

Is that because I pointed out that 500cal a day diets are stupid and against the rules to promote?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of people on this site who will tell you if you're eating under 1200 calories a day your body will go into starvation mode and not lose any weight at all. That's not true; people on medically supervised diets and people with EDs lose weight that way all the time, often quickly. However, you will have an extremely difficult time getting adequate nutrition, and it will be very likely that when you won't be able to sustain the weight loss once you reach your goal and increase your calories. Aim to lose 1-2 lbs a week and you'll be healthier and have more success in the long run.

People on medically supervised very low calorie diets (VLCD) are OBESE. They can play by different rules. Obese people can still hang onto muscle mass while eating below their BMR (basal metabolic rate) .....people who are "less fat" cannot support lean muscle while eating at large deficits.

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • deadmansout
    Options

Since you don't believe people with qualifications what does that matter? :noway:

BECAUSE IT'S DANGEROUS TO MAKE OUT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT???

I'M ONLY SAYING WHAT IS WORKING FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!

PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE DANGEROUS ONES IN FORUMS LIKE THIS. YOU THINK YOU'RE AN EXPERT, BUT YOU'RE SITTING ON YOUR SOFA, EATING CRISPS AND DRIKING PEPSI AND ACTING ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY!!!
  • deadmansout
    Options
    I don't know my intake of calories but I know its low. I've been on this diet since Cristmas. Although at the start I did eat more, just to warm my body up, so to speak, to prepare it for a low intake of food.

I've looked at an online calorie counter to see and it says that this diet is about 500 calories, I've taken into account portion sizes and butter on bread and everything, but reading you guys on here screaming that a 1000 a day is dangerous, I'm sure I must be working it out wrong!!!

I'm not fussed at the calorie intake anyway. I'm losing weight and feeling great.

Odd originally you said

I've have been eating 1000 calories a day (about) since Christmas and at the beginning of March I moved to around 500(ish) calories per day.

Is that because I pointed out that 500cal a day diets are stupid and against the rules to promote?

I was editing it as you posted. You're too fast for me. But you do get in on just about every single discussion on the whole internet don't you? Because you know everything.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

BECAUSE IT'S DANGEROUS TO MAKE OUT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT???

I'M ONLY SAYING WHAT IS WORKING FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!

PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE DANGEROUS ONES IN FORUMS LIKE THIS. YOU THINK YOU'RE AN EXPERT, BUT YOU'RE SITTING ON YOUR SOFA, EATING CRISPS AND DRIKING PEPSI AND ACTING ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY!!!

LOL

:laugh:

People saying that eating 500 calories daily is a bad idea are dangerous but those saying it's totally fine are not? Is that where we are in this discussion now?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight quickly and be incredibly hungry. Oh, and you'll gain it all back once you're done starving yourself.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i started eating 1500 calories and was losing a pound a week . i went down to 1100 - 1200 and some weeks i can lose 2.5 pounds . some other weeks i can lose 1.5 or just .5 . i want to consistently lose 2.5 pounds per week . should i eat 1,000 per day

No. You will not get the results you're looking for unless you want to be small but flabby. You will lose muscle mass thus increasing your BF %. I eat twice that much and I'm a 130lb 5'6 female.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ha! April Fools!

OPs got y'all :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Odd originally you said

I was editing it as you posted. You're too fast for me. But you do get in on just about every single discussion on the whole internet don't you? Because you know everything.

You sound angry.

You know what makes *me* easily angered? When I haven't had enough to eat recently. But that's just my personal experience. Probably totally unrelated to your situation.