SAHM 12/7--12/13/2009

Options
Calling all SAHM's! If you are looking for a supportive, encouraging, understanding and yet challenging group of women, this is the group for you. We don't do weekly weigh-in's or contests, etc, but we do occasionally challenge one another. We completely understand the unique obstacles to good health as sahm's. so come join our conversation--we'd love to have you!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    hi ladies!! i've lost some wt--probably b/c of recuperation. whatever--i'll take it.

my goals this week--drink 7-8 glasses water EVERY day
    dust, vac and mop (on th and fri)
    walk with leslie sansone by end of week (meaning sunday)
    (of course, goals 2 and 3 are dependent on my recovery but i'm putting it out there anyway as something to aim for)

also, i decided not to give homemade cookies to the school ppl. as much as i like to bake and the pride i have in it, it's just too tempting for me right now. so we bought some pre-packaged goodies at costco. plus i have a lovely book from when i used to sell southern living at home that i will give to a friend.
    this is the best soln for me right now. kinda bummed abt my un-original/impersonal gifts but will just have to get over it
    maybe i'll do something else for valentine's day instead.

so..how are you handling teacher gifts?? whether for preK or school or church teachers? what are your good ideas?
    trish--you're knitting things, right?
    and nicolee, did you settle on anything yet?

talk to y'all soon! :heart:
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Hi! I want to be part of the SAHM group. I am mom to 4 kids, age 7 to 18. Always busy & crazy here.

I had lost about 11 lbs a year ago & had 4 more to get to my goal. For various reasons I have let 8 of those sneak back so I am back here for encouragement & accountability.

Feels like a lot of life is out of control right now so I am working on lots of areas to get everything back to "normal"(is there such a thing?).

This week my goal is to walk MWF on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I am also working on going to bed by 10:30--night owl here.

There is so much more to work on but those are the two things I am going to work on.

Have a great week!

Kim

3382.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have the kniffty knitter looms, but I don't think there will be much knitting involved. My neighbor wants to learn, so I'll be teaching him soon.

My goal for this week is to really stick to my meal plans, drink 3-4 quarts of water daily, and get back to hard workouts. I want to get a total of 15 lbs off by Christmas. With our local Christmas parties out of the way, it should be a breeze. Next week not so much though. Hubs has company Christmas party (MEXICAN FOOD, YUM!), and our anniversary. Time to start planning WAY ahead.

Off to eat some nasty cracked wheat, sodium-free, hot cereal. Thank heavens for splenda & bananas!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My I join your group?? I am a very new SAHM, as I quit my job 11/30/09 to stay home. I had been working as an RN at a hospital, nights and weekends and we just found it was becoming too stressful for me to continue working. I am enjoying my new found freedom, getting up early, exercising and actually accomplishing something. I no longer have the excuse that I need to sleep in just in case I have to work tomorrow night. :smile: I have two kids--7 y/o dd and 2 y/o ds. Dd is in 1st grade and going through separation anxiety. Ds is a climber and as busy as can be.

:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Welcome aboard, deb & curlie! I think being a mom is the best job in the world.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    welcome curlie and deb! we're glad to have you join in. you'll find some women come and stay and some pop in only once in a while. whatever works for you is good w/us.

i've been with mfp since march. my original goal has never changed but it has taken me longer than i would have liked to get there. not really a q why--just a matter of living for the now instead of for what i really want.

deb--it's a bit of a transition to stay home from work life--but it sounds like you knew what was best for you and your family. i'd say the hardest part for me is loneliness. there's mfp which helps and i've been in pg's before. but after being home for 9+ years, i'm not interested in those same activities. however, i might join a monthly quilting group (sure i'll be the youngest there) and a preK homeschooling group. i don't homeschool but it looks like they will have fun outings and more structure would be good for me.

trish--i love your burst of sunshine! it's always appreciated.
    as for next week's mexican extravaganza---hmmm is there one thing you really want and then skip the rest? like you can always have chips and salsa but maybe they'll have amazing chimichangas or tamales or flan and that'll be your "splurge"? just a thought.

gotta get moving on the before school routine. catch you later--and again, welcome deb and curlie!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I have no idea what they'll have at the party. It's at a restaurant that I can't find a website for. So I have no idea what will be on the menu. I will probably have an ensure or two during that day so that I can enjoy the evening. The more veggies I eat, the more I seem to crave, so I can pile those on to anything I eat to my heart's (and belly's) content. Andy & I decided to bypass going out to a fancy dinner on our anniversary and just get something cheap & tasty, and maybe rent from redbox, or put Grace to bed, have Andy's brother come over to babysit, and catch a flick out ourselves. :)
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Welcome Deb and Curlie. Great group of ladies here!

Trish good luck with the christmas party. I'm sure you'll do great!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Gm everyone! I was pretty quiet this weekend. Busy with the outside chores again! Burnt alot of calories, but was wwwwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyy over on the sodium yesterday. I was really craving it yesterday. What is that about? OOOOHHH Mexican Trish! Way cool! Hubby and I went Sat. nite to the Mexican restuarant, and I got fajitas. I don't eat the tortillas, and iactually had a doggy bag, which hubby and I split for lunch the yesterday. It is high in everything though. I don't think there is anything healthy about mexican other than the salsa!

Stacey- Great plan for the week! I am actually making some of the fleece blankets that you tie. Well, me and the 3 cats! They sure do love to help me! I have a watering can that I am decorating for my mother, and I got a hair-brained idea to sew some fellce pants for the kids. I don't sew! What was I thinking? My daughter is using her knitting looms and my son is making birdhouses for everyone.

My plan for the week- Continue with drinking at least 75-90 oz of water daily. Get that sodium down!
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan, Nicolee. I can't sew, so I wouldn't even attempt to make a pair of pants for sharlotte. Atleast the kids are being productive! Great way to keep them busy and out of trouble! ;)

I get my daughter back today, until Wednesday then she goes with her dad and I get her back friday till monday! Yikes! those 3 day weekends kill me! She's such a handful! I miss having two parents in the house!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Silver, they are bundles of energy aren't they? I do feel your pain Silver, I was a single mom for 9 months with 2 of them while we were trying to sell our house and move across the country. granted they are older than yours, but it still is a challenge.

I am chug-a-lugin' right along today!:drinker:
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Sharlotte's head strong, stubborn, and tries to be more independent than her age warrants! I get a break every couple of days, It probably helps me keep my sanity. I really do miss being a two parent household! Shane mentioned wanting to work things out, but I told him I was still into Will.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Welcome deb and curlie. I joined MFP a couple weeks ago and this group has been great. No one else could understand the unique struggles of being a SAHM and trying to lose weight/ get more active.

Well, I had a pretty rough weekend. Had food poisoning and couldn't eat a thing for 2 days. Just getting back into eating a little today, and boy was it carb loading! But I really couldn't stomach alot of veggies or protein so.... only got 700 cals. in also. Maybe tomorrow will go better.

My challenges for this week are to eat less sodium (between 1500-1800 recommended for my high bp) and drink more water. I joined a 200 crunch challenge group, so will be doing that every other day. Also adding 10 lb. weights to my cardio routines as part of my strength training challenge. Good luck to all of you on your personal challenges.

Stacey, I hope your recovery continues well. 2 weeks isn't too bad!

Silver, I hear you on the single mom front. My husband and I separated for 3 months. He spent 1 weekend with them and decided he couldn't handle them alone.... started having visitation at the house for a few hours each week. It's really hard to raise the kids alone, and even though me and DH are back together, he works so much I FEEL like a single mom still. Just know there are friends here to lend you an ear. I have depression issues, too, and sometimes you just feel like you're no good at anything. Hang in there, they grow up and it gets better. Today my 6 year old told me YAY! Mommy you lost 4 lbs., I'm so glad you're getting healthy! From the mouths of babes....
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Thanks Jr, I've been a single parent since April. Granted I get a vacation every couple of days and then 3 days every other weekend. So I get her for 3 days one weekend and he gets her for 3 days the next weekend. This coming weekend is my 3 days with her.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jr, I've been a single parent since April. Granted I get a vacation every couple of days and then 3 days every other weekend. So I get her for 3 days one weekend and he gets her for 3 days the next weekend. This coming weekend is my 3 days with her.

Yep, and if you're like me you probably miss her terribly on the 3 days that he has her, but then when she comes back you're thinking SOMEONE do something with this kid... lol. It's good that ya'll seem to have an amicable separation and agreed upon equal custody. Just make sure to sneak in some good "me time" when he has her.... bubble bath, read a book, sleep late, extra-long workout (umm, maybe):laugh:
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    I sleep in late if I can on the days I don't have her. I haven't worked out in a while. Just been in a kind of funk with it. but I am trying to watch what I eat atleast.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    I sleep in late if I can on the days I don't have her. I haven't worked out in a while. Just been in a kind of funk with it. but I am trying to watch what I eat atleast.

and clearly it's working!
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Thanks, Stacey.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am still getting used to this--luckily I phased myself out at work, I was averaging 8 hours a paycheck (every 2 weeks) So everything isn't too foreign to me but it is crazy! I started a new routine of getting up at 5 am and exercising, showering and getting dressed before hubby leaves, I sometimes think I am crazy but it works! I have started this week with a vengence--shouting no excuses. I am back on the bandwagon and determined to get losing again. The time is now!! :smile:
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Deb, sounds like you have a great plan! Good luck!